Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus IS 300 SportCross

Comments

• silverlexsilverlex Posts: 156

These were taken with a digital camera, so they might not be completely accurate. Every color except red has a metallic finish.
    Lexus Ranks No. 1 in J.D. Power and Associates Customer Service Study for the 10th Time in 11 Years

July 11, 2001 -- Torrance, CA -- Lexus once again upheld its reputation as the industry leader in customer satisfaction as reflected in the latest J.D. Power and Associates study announced today. For 2001, Lexus is No. 1 in Customer Satisfaction with Dealer Service in the independent research firm’s Customer Service Index (CSI) Study.

With 903 out of a possible 1,000 points, Lexus holds the top spot for the 10th time in 11 years. CSI results are based on more than 56,000 vehicle owners who evaluated their visits to dealerships during the first three years of ownership. Even with the increased sales volume the Lexus brand has experienced in the past few years, Lexus dealers continue to stay focused on exceeding customers’ expectations and providing the best service in the industry.

"At Lexus, success is defined by much more than vehicles sales," said Denny Clements, Lexus group vice president and general manager. "When Lexus was established in 1989, our commitment was to give customers an unparalleled buying and ownership experience, and now 12 years later, these survey results show that our cream-of-the-crop dealers continue to deliver on Lexus’ high standards for customer satisfaction."

The combination of excellent products and outstanding customer treatment has resulted in Lexus becoming one of the world’s premier luxury brands.

The article is found here
  • perritoperrito Posts: 66
    Lexus just lost another 30-something customer because of NO manual transmission on the new SportCross. So, they can do it for the sedan, and then they call their hatchback a "sport-x" without a 5 speed: what a joke.

Sigh!
    perrito
  • jgroffjgroff Posts: 1
    there is a little info and some new pictures on the lexus.com web page regarding 2002 IS300
    Here's some pics of the Sportcross demo at my local dealership outside of Atlanta. Their internet manager took some shots and passed them on to me.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,468
    That speedo IS in kph, is it not?

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

But this is a traveling demo - so my guess is it's not intended to remain in the states. Probabaly off to Canada. I'm going to look at it this weekend. The slotted rotors and painted calipers are also not standard, but they look good.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,468
    a travelling demo. I was wondering.

Kinda strange then that he wedged it into the middle of the showfloor, eh? Is this not a driveable demo?

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

I was thinking the same thing...they're a little cramped for showroom floorspace.

I don't believe this is driveable. For show only I'm pretty sure.
    I just got back from looking at the 2002 Sportcross that's making its way throughout the US as a prototype (release is August). I wasn't so much interested in the Wagon version of the IS300, but I wanted to see some of the stuff that will be available in the 2002 sedans.

Two major improvements for 2002 are the armrest and the Navigation. The navigation was so well done - quick and very simple to operate via a tiny joystick and button control just under the armrest. It's a shame it wasn't available for `01. The new dash looks good completely black, but I still prefer the brushed aluminum. But it gives it a more conservative look which will probably help it sell to older audiences. Also, the full leather is a nice feature, allowing those not big on the escaine inserts another choice.

Other minor changes/additions worth mentioning is the VSC (vehicle skid control) and the curtain airbags and auto dimming rear mirror. For those who own a `01, the armrest and auto-dimming mirror should be easy additions once their available. Now if they only had memory seating as an option.

Not a bad start for `02, especially with the stick arriving. Lots to look forward to as this car starts to evolve.
  • Anyone know if the back seat leg room was expanded in the new SportCross compared with the Sedan? The sedan is tight for legroom as y'all know. This will be an important factor for me when deciding.

thx
    Rear leg/shoulder/headroom remains the same.
  • I am a 53 year old who Lexus also lost as a customer. They only went halfway. They say they want to compete with BMW but they don't REALLY. Where's the 5 or 6 speed with the sportcross body. Thats the only IS300 I would buy. I agree perrito. What a joke.
  • focusmatt2focusmatt2 Posts: 106
    I think they should bring the IS200 series over here, too.

The engine is not that fast, i.e. 0-60 in 8.5 seconds or so, but it's a very slick 2.0 inline-six that gets a 6-speed manual i believe, which basically equates to a BMW smoothness of the engine with the Celica-style of revving. It would pose an interesting entry-level Lexus product, which I think would definitely boost sales. It would be sort of like a sedan alternative to the RS-X, or possibly a G20 with some power.
  • Anyone buy one yet?
  • pocahontaspocahontas Posts: 802
    Edmunds' review of the Lexus IS Sportcross is now availble. Here's a direct link to Spin Around Town: 2002 Lexus IS 300 SportCross, By Liz Kim. What do you think? Happy motoring! ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
  • troyy2ktroyy2k Posts: 91
    It seems as through the Subaru Impreza SportWagon WRX outperforms the Sportcross, is AWD, and is about 6-8 grand less expensive. And it can be had in a 5 speed.
  • troyy2ktroyy2k Posts: 91
    Could someone please explain how well the steering wheel shifting system works on the sportcross?
  • vivian3vivian3 Posts: 8
    Does anyone have any idea on whether the SportCross will sell for MSRP, or is there a chance of getting it at a lower price when it first comes out?
    Troy - the eshift is the same as on the sedans. I use it daily and almost exclusively and have been very satisfied with it's performance. In my opinion, it's the perfect blend between a stick and a slush box. Still, you should take one for a drive and try it out.

Vivian - If you check out IS300.net, you should get a better idea in the General Discussion forum. I believe I read 1000 off MSRP is what people are getting.
  • I have tested the IS300 Sportscross recently along with the PT Cruiser and the Passet Station Wagon. There is no doubt that the Sportcross has less legroom than the other two vehicles. However, what shocked me most was the specs on legroom on the 3 cars. IS = 30, PT = 40, and Passet = 35. I certainly did not think the IS has 10 inches less legroom than the PT Cruiser. Can someone tell me how legroom is measured for a car?
  • Would any owners like to venture their opinions regarding the 2002 SportCross?
  • elec3elec3 Posts: 160
    That people keep confusing my Mazda Protege5 "sport wagon" with the Lexus "sport wagon". It really does look similar to the 4 door Lexus (and also eerily like a short version of the Lexus SUV). My Pro5, of course, has less horses and way less luxury features than the Lexus, but it also cost less than 20 grand. You could probably slap some Altezza style lights on the back of a Pro5 and maybe stick on some Lexus badges and nobody would ever know to look at it.
  • I've had mine for a little less that 2 weeks now. The highlights are the performance, handling and exterior styling. The ride is very quiet and smooth, but not like driving a boat. The sticky 17 inch Bridgestone Potenza tires and cornering abilities are sports car-like.

I think it's more of a hatchback than a wagon due to the sloping rear hatch and the side rear windows sloping upward. Everyone who has seen it loves it.

You won't see a ton of them on the road like the Lexus 300GS or RX300. SportCross production is limited to 5,000 units for 2002.

I got around 18 mpg on my first tank of gas around town which is not great, but a significantly better than any SUV. Highway mileage is rated at 25 mpg.

Only things I would change are the busy chronograph dashboard styling along with the orange lighting. An all digital dash display would be more suitable I think.

There are some excellent deals right now and you can probably get a SportCross either at or below invoice pricing.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with mine.
  • jmessjmess Posts: 677
    I have had my blue cross for about a month now and agree with the previous post. The car can cruise if you want to and it can really get up and go when you want to. It is more like a big hatchback than a traditional wagon and that is why I like it over the more traditional wagon shapes. The car is more for the young at heart so don't expect an GS300. The ride is very well controlled towards firm, yet the car is surprisingly smooth for having such good handling. The steering feel is just about perfect; the power steering never seems over or under boosted at any speed. The brakes are excellent. The E-shift works really well. The sound systems is first rate. I hardly ever touch the auto climate control, it works so well. Probably the biggest thing the car doesn't have is memory seats which should be standard in this price range. You also need a set of winter tires if you are looking at driving the car very far in the snow. Other IS300 owners have reported how poorly the high performance tires work in the snow. I have already bought another set of alloys with Bridgestone LM-22 winter tires. From my experience with the car so far, it is clear that Lexus wants to stay on top of the JD Power survey.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    and welcome to this discussion. I believe you two are the first actual owners to post messages here! Thanks for sharing the details. We look forward to hearing more about your SportsCross experience. Happy Motoring! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
  • jmessjmess Posts: 677
    Over the last 30 days I have been in Portland, San Diego, Denver, and Salt Lake. I always see IS300s but I haven't seen another SportCross outside of a dealers lot. For a sporty car I am finding the SportCross to be pretty practical. Folding down the rear seats gives you quite a bit of useful space. The hatch isn't very high when compared to a traditional wagon but I can still get my mountain bike in when I remove the front wheel. I visit the dealer tomorrow for the 30 day checkup. The only negative thing I have noticed so far was a slight rattle in the dash that I fixed by wedging a small junk of paper between two dash parts; you can't see the paper so the problem is fixed as far as I am concerned.
  • Glad to see some owner comments on this car. I picked my White SportCross up on Halloween here in Seattle and have been very pleased with the car. I was able to negotiate about 10% off list for a car with LSD, Escaine Interior, Moonroof and heated seats. The car I traded was a 2000 ES300 and although I liked the luxury feeling of the 300, the SC is much more fun to drive. I owned an 87 911 a few years back and the SC reminds me of that car in many ways. I guess the nimble feeling and quickness are the two things about the car that make it feel like a keeper.

I noticed a momentary noise and small vibration through the brake pedal when rolling away from a stop after the car has been sitting for over 10 minutes and brought this up to the service tech when I brought the car in for a 30 day service. They reported that it was part of the ABS system doing some set up activity, so I still have the noise. I will ask to drive another SC during the 5000 mile service to see if they all do this.

I was also told by the service tech that Lexus will sell a factory turbocharger that, if installed by the dealer, will not void the warranty and will push the car to around 300hp. This will be availalble next summer. No pricing was given, but I did see a carbon fiber replacement grill without the big "L" for $800, so the Turbo won't be cheap. However the thought of an unbadged turbo charged SC is very enticing. I am also looking at some aftermarket suspension pieces that are said to lower the car about an inch, but reduce roll in hard cornering without affecting cruising comfort. This seems like a car that will enjoy being driven with spirit periodically.

Being 55 I don't fit the demographic for which this car seems intended but I'm real happy Lexus decided to sell it.
This discussion has been closed.