Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus IS 300 SportCross

pocahontaspocahontas Posts: 802
edited March 2014 in Lexus
Here is the new place to discuss the 2002 IS 300 SportCross. To start, here's some information from Edmunds.com's News. What do you think?

Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Pocahontas
Host
Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards

Comments

• This vehicle caught my eye at the recent Auto Show in Toronto and has caused me to postpone my decision to buy a new vehicle until I get to test drive the IS300 SportCross in September. Can't wait. I am thrilled with the return to prominence of the station wagon in the marketplace. Lots more to chose from now, including quality wagons from Passat, Volvo, Subaru, Saab, etc. Four/all wheel drive option on the IS300 would put the final touches to the lineup.
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Posts: 1,308
    I think that if I had the money I'd be at the dealer the day the first one rolled off the truck. Put a manual transmission is it, and I'd be one very happy camper...
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 18,275
    The IS300 needs a manual. The 215 hp doesn't act like it should when you look at the acceleration numbers. A stick should cure that. Then I'll put it on my list.

'14 CTS Vsport; '15 Fit LX 6-spd; '98 Volvo S70 base; '14 Town&Country Limited

• Stick is out in the fall, reputedly 6 speed. Anyone have any other details regarding the 2002 IS300 SportCross?
  • barresa62barresa62 Posts: 1,379
    Someone posted over in the OB Sport topic that Lexus had decided not to bring over the wagon afterall. Is this true? I hadn't read anything about this and I keep up on this stuff pretty regularly.

Stephen
    (New WRX owner)
  • i wasn't fortunate enough to see the car in person ... but looking at the pic, it looks more like a hatch? like a vw golf.. am i wrong.
  • Toyota confirmed that it is the 5-speed, not the 6-speed manual which will be coming out this fall in the Sedan. Toyota also confirmed that theSportcross gets an additional speaker (9 instead of 8 on the sedan).

Unconfirmed: Centre armrest, electrochromic mirrors, full leather seating and stiffer suspension are rumoured. Possible engine tweak for a few more hp.

Please add to this list, thx.

I also noted the comment that the SportCross will not make it to the US. Toyota Canada confirmed recently that it is coming. However, anything can change.

The SportCross looks like a combination of my old '90 Civic Si Hatchback and the Outback Sport on steroids. This is not a criticism, as I really like the styling and saw the blue version last month. Very nice.
  • thanks jeff for the photo site... it looks like a small wagon. subura impreza(?) or maybe a five-door saab(?). i wouldn't mind having one!!!
  • shoesshoes Posts: 131
    Wow, Now Lexus is copying old Saab designs? I am sure it will drive better than my old five door Saab 900.
  • pocahontaspocahontas Posts: 802
    Because of the cross over nature of the Lexus IS 300 SportCross, we've linked this discussion to the Hatchbacks and Station Wagons Message Boards. You'll now be able to access this discussion through either of these boards. Hope this is helpful.

Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Boards
  • hk2lahk2la Posts: 53
    Boy have I been out of the loop! This is the first that I know about the SportCross. Any info on price????
    does that remind anyone else of a Saab hatchback?

• silverlexsilverlex Posts: 156

Except for everything behind the back doors, and the front of the IS isn't as thin as the 9-5. Though, they both have the wrap around headlights.
    I was even thinking of the 4-door hatchback Saab, not necessarily the wagon.

You're absolutely right.

for those pics. I couldn't find any good ones to post. Actually, now that I look back, I see someone else here mentioned it looks like a Saab.

I'm also not criticizing. I think it looks pretty good (I do like the looks of the Saab, too).

Now, give me a manual transmission and a pricetag right under $30K please.

That little article by Edmund's says the Sportcross will not be available with a manual. That's interesting. I find it rather odd, as a matter of fact. I think (hope) that will change.

I don't know much about the wagon version of the IS300, but I'm pretty sure it wont. I guess they felt the sedan was the only market for it. It's a bummer for a lot of people, on top of the fact that it won't be offered with AWD as it is overseas.

Price should be about the same as the sedan, except for when it first comes out, in which case you'd be paying closer to sticker.

As it is now, you can get a loaded sedan with a sticker of 35K for 31K. The sportcross will probably end up the same, unless you opt for navi.
  • perritoperrito Posts: 66
    Well,

Just thought that anybody working for LEXUS might want to know this: GIVE US A MANUAL! There is nothing sporty about this wagon if it comes only in a slush-box... I swear.. one of these days, pow! right to the moon alice!....
    The Lexus Customer Assistance Center
    Monday - Friday, 6:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. PT

Phone: 1-800-255-3987 prompt #4
    Fax: 1-310-468-2992
  • barresa62barresa62 Posts: 1,379
    (or hatch), I love the looks but I think I'll keep my 5spd WRX wagon for the thrill of it all. :-) BTW, totally agree that Lexus is missing the boat by not offering a manual, in fact, I believe it's a major reason why the sedan is not selling as well as Lexus had hoped or made a bigger in-road into Bimmer 3-series market share.

Stephen
    IS300.net has the pricing for the 2002 IS (manual, AT and Sportcross) on their front page under the news section. It also includes prices for individual options.

The Sportcross will start at $32,305.
  • Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Posts: 250
    It doesn't seem to include destination charge and it seems that the price is the same as 2001 for automatic. Anywhere I can see the new picture of 2002 automatic or the comparison of standard features between 2001 and 2002? Thanks.
    Here's a scan of the specifications for the 2002 Sportcross. It appears the Sportcross will have wider rear wheels, running on 225 instead of 215, something I wish was standard on the sedan.
  • Has anyone heard if and when Lexus is going to make a coupe based off of the is300.
This discussion has been closed.
Lexus IS 300 SportCross - Car Forums at Edmunds.com