Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sedona (2005 and Earlier)

Comments

• integradriverintegradriver Member Posts: 123
    2003 EX

ABS and Sunroof

MSRP $23770, paid $22344 less $2000 rebate. After Trade Allowance, Taxes were about $525 (2.75%). Four year tag etc $125, dealer doc fees $60.

Current Mileage -- 112. We've had the van for three days. Routine Driving will be approx 25 miles a day, although this will be our vehicle for long trips as well.

Can't tell you about efficiency and no visits back other than paperwork related issues.

What can I say, I like the price and warranty. A full spare is a nice touch as well, and I like being able to pull seats out one at a time.

In a future Sedona, I'd like a little more cargo space behind row 3, maybe an Oddesy-like well, but I'd want to keep the removable split bench.

If there was only a standard warranty, and the price to me was $25,000 (After rebate), I would have shopped other models more aggressively, and I probably wouldn't have gone with the Sedona.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    My #1 nice-to-have would be traction control. Not critical, but would be much appreciated for extra peace of mind during the snowy season.
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    Our van has traction control and I was amazed this last winter how often it stepped in. Actually some days I took to turning it off because I felt it was too sensitive and I could smell hot brakes. Reassuring to know it's there if you need it though.
  • t65t65 Member Posts: 9
    Hello to you all!

Can anybody tell me how to connect the Top Tether of a child seat with LATCH system in the Sedona?

I am unable to find the anchor point for the top tether. My User’s Manual doesn’t mention it and my dealer is unable to tell me. Does the Sedona actually have one, if yes, where? Or does it has to be installed as an aftermarket item?

Hopefully somebody can answer this question. I am a Dutchman living in Italy and here in Europe this type of child seat is very very rare, contrary to the US.

Unfortunately it is almost impossible to use a Universal-type child seat that uses the car’s seat belt because of the extreme length of the buckle. It sits too high above the car seat and interferes with the child seat’s integrated hooking points. Haven't found one, yet.

I would like to use the lower anchor points of the Isofix system but the ONLY child seat available in Europe with this system requires the Top Tether when used in the Sedona. But nobody can tell me how! Britax in the UK sells the seat and the tether but they are not answering my e-mail requesting instructions.

Please help!

By the way, the Sedona is called Carnival in Europe (except in the UK) and has either a V6 2.5L petrol or 2.9L diesel engine. Since two weeks I own the oil burner and have just covered 1000 miles with it. Happy so far.
  • sisu145sisu145 Member Posts: 22
    On my 02 sedona ex the tether latch is behind the seat on the floor. You must pry up the plastic cover to expose it though. Hope it helps. May not have it in European version.
  • acedriveracedriver Member Posts: 131
    And then suddenly out of nowhere, I saw three Sedonas in parking lots when we went shopping yesterday! All of them were EX models with leather seats. I guess people see that they are getting a minivan at such a fantastic price and decide to load up on the goodies!

Looks like the "Kia Sedona" word is getting out around here :-)
  • hoyahenryhoyahenry Member Posts: 399
    - 2002 EX with ABS Leather Sun Homelink
    - ~$23K
    - ~10,500 miles
    - 15-16 city, 22-23 all highway
    - 1, 1 pending for seatbelt bolt recall and:
    Ash Tray
    TSB on cooling fan noise
    Keyless entry receiver grounding
    Rear window washer nut
    Front end noise
    2nd row head rests

- No. of dealer visits 2: Cold hesitation TSB and electrical glitch in driver door
    - Too many outstanding features to list
    - Most disliked feature: Back hatch; the seals are too good - need door/window open to close it.
    - Desired feature: Automatic climate controls
    good one, hoya. Hadn't thought of that. I have no problems piloting the climate controls myself, but some folks do prefer the automatic approach. Offering this feature, at least on the top-line Sedona model(s), would help Kia to keep up with the Joneses.
  • bnhbucksbnhbucks Member Posts: 74
    I called my local dealer concerning the rust appearing on the rear hatch and they told me to just bring it in and it would be covered under warrantee no questions asked. That is good news!

I was told that they have seen several already with this problem. - not so good news!

I will let you know what actually happens.
  • king38king38 Member Posts: 9
    I just got a quote on a Sedona EX 2003 w/leather, ABS, sunroof, spoiler...$23600 which includes 640 destination. I will get 0% financing as opposed to taking a rebate of $2000. I'm not sure if this is a good price or not, but I'm heading back to the dealer in about 1 hour...any help would be appreciated
    Quick question for you. What period are you getting 0% financing for? Kia website says that is available for 24 months. In that case you would likely do better to take the $2000 rebate and finance yourself if you can borrow below 8.65%.
    0% for 60 months
    In that case you are better off taking the 0% unless you can borrow below 3.54%.
    Thanks...I kinda figured that...really would like to know if the 23600 price tag is ridiculously high
  • mrwallacemrwallace Member Posts: 69
    I am probably too late, but, if this is before TTL, it sounds kinda high based on recent postings.
    After visiting several dealerships, the best I could do was 22500 before TTL....couldn't get anyone to go lower. Anyone know of good deals in NYC area?
    April 30th is coming soon, and, if these dealers believe that you are a genuine buyer and not just somebody killing time, they may get friendlier on that last day in order to bump up their monthly numbers. Be near the phone that day.
    Maybe this will help some - these were our numbers:
    1/31 northern Ky
    '03 EX cloth seats moonroof no spoiler
    21,500 before TTL no rebate 0% for 24

I believe prices have dropped since then.

Also I was always more comfortable working with the out the door number. Otherwise, they start throwing destination charges, advertising exp, etc. at you just to muddy the waters.
    One further thought - after the introductory visit, all further contact was by phone - bid /counter bid (90 seconds max) - until signing. Saves lots of time.
    Thanks...if I look at your price of 21,500 and add ABS and leather, it would appear that a price of 22500 isn't such a bad deal. Your thoughts would be appreciated!!!! In addition financing for 60 months @0%
    By the way, the dealer threw in a years worth of oil changes free and lifetime free state inspection.
    I knew when I was typing that I was leaving something off - we have ABS, also - it was one of the most haves.

Personally, I like the 0% for 60. Apparently, grandtotal has worked the numbers. Your choice.

I don't know what if any bids you have made. I would see who wants to play.

Bid them out the door (21,250 + 150 title/lic +
    sales tax on 21,250) whatever that number is on the phone.

See what happens.
    so far I have made several bids and no one wants to play under 22500....where's my good deal???
    What have your bids been? What is NY sales tax?
    Tell me the floor traffic, and I can pretty much tell you the number.

In January, 21,500 was a reasonable price for my Sedona - not the all-time champ but reasonable. 22,300-400 was reasonable for your vehicle.

But prices began to decline in advance of the war - haircuts all around - 750 to in many cases 1,000 off in March.

Now in April the war has gone well and 0% for 60s abound - what is that doing to floor traffic?

You are the judge here since you actually are visiting showrooms in person. If you ARE the floor traffic, then March prices are probably still in play. If, on the other hand, 20 shoppers are milling around the floor, maybe you are back to January prices.

My suggestion of 21,250 is a March type price - you can always come up to January if need be, but it is hard to reverse the process.

This is why I was curious yesterday about what your bid was in relation to the dealer's asked of 22,500.

Also, always keep mindful that when the salesman says that 22,500 is their sales manager's final offer that is code language meaning that they can go lower.
    Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know that I purchase a hitch on-line and installed it with the help of a neighbor in about 45 minutes. The most difficult part was removing the bolts in the bumper frame. It took a good ratchet set and a long handle to get the right torque to remove them.

The hitch was Class III from hitches-forless.com and the cost was $109.95 and then I added the t-one connector (wiring)(31.59), ball mount ($22.47), hitch balls (20.43), receiver tube cover (9.93) for a grand total of $216.66 with shipping.

I have not installed the wiring yet, but the hitch is on and functional. I'll let you know how the wiring goes.
  • scottlee2scottlee2 Member Posts: 2
    I just got my new 03 EX with ABS and Sunroof, no leather and spoiler, in sage green. The price after 2000 rebate before TTL is 20200 including 350 dealer fees. Based on king38's post, I guess I could go 500 lower at least. Anyway, the car is perfect.
    Hey, where is everyone? Anything to talk about? I haven't seen anything in a couple of days and just wondered if anyone else was noticing the silence.
    I'm sitting here, still peeved about my dealer's unwillingness to resolve what I feel are significant and obvious problems. Still procrastinating and debating whether to go via the service mgr and give existing dealer one last chance to earn our future business or give up and try another dealer.

How many times must a customer bring in a vehicle with a seat belt that does not ratchet/lock (after belt pulled all the way out) before the dealer will fix it? First time, dealer said 'checked seat belt and is performing to factory specs.' Second time I actually showed the advisor the faulty belt and a working belt. I left it up to him to relay the knowledge to the technician. Somewhere, the ball was dropped.

The other one grinding me is the keyless entry. I have explained the existence of this grounding plate replacement procedure twice now, and still they have done nothing.

Last visit was on a Friday and advisor had the afternoon off. He obviously made no attempt to get our concerns resolved. Nor did he follow up to tell us our van was 'ready.'

End of rant. Sorry. We really like our van but the service has been predictably pathetic. Not because it's a new Kia vehicle, but simply because it's a new vehicle.
  • fvpfvp Member Posts: 147
    Go to another dealer. It may be inconvienent to have to switch but it may be worth it in the long run. To me, it sounds like you have given your current dealer plenty of opportunity to solve your problems - and there's no excuse for "dropping the ball" twice.
    If this were me, I would by-pass the service manager and go directly to the GM or the owner and deal with him. Believe me, HE wants to keep your business. I have done this in the past and it works.
    Good luck.
    Hey Bluedevils,

The answer is in the forum, if you will. Sidenote: Boy, have I been where you are at the moment. Easier said than done, unsolicited advice: Don't take it and don't let it get you down ;)

Cut and paste the letter you just wrote and fax/mail it in a letter form to the General Manager of the dealership - forget the service department. Put a cc: at the bottom to Kia USA, and send it only if they don't call you up in 2-5 business days to get these issues resolved.

It's quick and easy - and will take less than 10 minutes without having to leave your house.
  • sedona_rulessedona_rules Member Posts: 1
    Bought a Kia Sedona last month. So far, so good. Happy with my purchase. Paid 19043 including taxes (5.1%) and license/registration+dealer fees) for a Lx with ABS and roof rack. Is that a good price? Anyone know if an extended bumper-to-bumper warranty is available from Kia? If not, is it recommended that you get one? Any suggestions on good warranty companies and plans will be much appreciated.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There's a lot of discussions about them on the Finance, Warranty & Insurance Board too. Check it out.

Steve, Host
  • smulveysmulvey Member Posts: 139
    The BEST prices for a Sedona are available in Canada where a LX model sells for $ 17,000 Candian which is about $ 11,050 USA.

Even with importation fees it is a savings.

Next you can try the New Jersey area KIA dealers that are selling at $ 16,999 for a New Sedona LX with standard options like Front & Rear Air and CD player, power locks and windows. Happy Shopping! Don't pay retail. Why let the Canadians get all the low prices.
  • smulveysmulvey Member Posts: 139
    Here are the tips I follow to get maximum milage from the SEDONA.
    1.) You may have the KUMHO truck tires. Check the sidewall for the MAX inflation PRessure. They are tested to 44 PSI by the DOT. I have been running mine at 44 PSI. It works great and the car handles better. Truck tires are good for a 4700 lb vehicle.
    2.) OIL- use Synthetic 5-50 W Castrol or similar. This helps too.

3.) Air Filter- change at 10K miles or even convert to a foam filter.

4.) Make sure you keep the OD ( Overdrive ) Light OFF the dashboard. Anytime it is on your milage will fall greatly. If you share the car with another drive teach them about this issue or they will kill your milage.

5.) Take out any junk you do not need. IE - Firewood , sandbags etc.

6.) Be sure to follow instructions and use the DRAIN PLUG on the transmmission to change out the fluid. You MUST use the Diamond Star transmisssion fluid sold under the KIA name at the dealership. You will need about 8 quarts. It is about $ 5 a quart. Use a BIG drain pan. It is messy.

These steps have allowed me to get 25 MPG ROUTINELY on the NY State Thruway ]oute# 90 from Buffalo to Albany.
    I don't know where you got your price information for Sedonas in Canada but the LX sells for $24995 in Canada. See this link
    What is your average speed during a highway trip that returns 25 mpg? I don't doubt that it can be done, but I suspect you are traveling under 70 mph.

Re: tire pressure - just because the tire itself can take 44 psi does not mean that is a good recommended tire pressure for those tires on a particular vehicle. Kia recommends 35 psi front and rear. 44 psi is quite a bit higher, and I would not feel comfortable going that high. I did increase from our standard 35-36 psi to 40 psi for a recent trip in which we carried 6 adults and their weekend bags, to handle the extra weight.

Re: transmission fluid - I have not looked into this, but I doubt there is anything magical to the Kia-branded trans fluid.

Re: 5W50 Castrol Syntec - why do you recommend it instead of other synthetic oils? And why do you recommend a synthetic with such a wide viscosity spread?
  • minivanmommyminivanmommy Member Posts: 1
    This is the first time I've posted on this message board, though I've been reading posts off and on for the past year and a half. And I just wanted to thank all of you posters for the great information about the Sedona. We finally bought one!!! And this message board had a lot to do with our decision. We now own an EX with leather and ABS. It's sage green with tan cladding and it's absolutely beautiful inside and out. After reading the message board for so long, I feel confident that I made the best purchase and that I'm driving a quality vehicle at a great price. Our notes are less than what we were expecting and the van is much more than what we were expecting. I LOVE my new minivan and I'm so excited to finally be a minivan mommy!
    Congratulations on your purchase! Check back often because their continues to be helpful information over and over again - as you have seen over the last year and a half. I hope you enjoy yours as much as my wife does. Actually - I enjoy it quite a bit too :-)
  • rajahsmomrajahsmom Member Posts: 10
    I have the 2002 Sedona EX with all the options, it's white with gold two-tone. I must say I do love my Sedona, I just am mad at the dealer right now for not wanting to fix the rust spots under warranty. They have the nerve to tell us they will give us an estimate on the replacement of the hood! Geesh!
    We bought our new 2002 Sedona Ex with leather package, sunroof, two-tone paint, homelink and rear spoiler for $23,505 sticker price. I think we may have got them to go down some on the sticker price. That's here in Maryland and we got the lowest financing available at that time (Feb.2002) which was 3.9% for 60 months. We only put $2500 down and we ended up with payments of $428/month. How do out payments compare to others???
    I am probably coming to the party late on this one, but I believe that you should try another dealer's service department to resolve your problems, assuming that is logistically feasible (meaning no more than about 30 miles one way from your home.)

You have already wasted enough time and patience on bad and inattentive technicians at the shop plus the fact that you spend an additional day or two in a bad funk after each failed appointment.

Unless it has become your life's mission to enlighten dealership owners on the shortcomings of their errant service departments, move on to someone who can get the job done.

If things are properly handled at the new dealer, then would be a good time to write a letter to the first dealer's owner, describing the highlights of your adventures.

Good luck.
    Ok, the dealer just called (our van has been in the shop since Monday and they gave us a junky 1999 Sephia that is hard to start) and said they found a nail in our tire so they PLUGGED it for us..without asking permission first. That is making me even more mad because now we have to take it to Firestone to have the plug removed and have it patched instead to avoid tire seperation! Geez! The guys also said we needed a new air filter and they already put that in without our permission too...my husband said he could've done that for less money ($20 for the filter and they said they didn't charge us labor for it). They told my husband it will cost $300 to fix the rust spots so he said don't do it until I talk to someone about the warranty! I was just looking over the warranty at Kia's website and I don't like the looks of it.
    The rust spots seem like a no brainer. No car should rust after only 6 months. It also seems like this is a manufacturing defect on the plate on the rear hatch - not a simply rust problem. I think they need to be challenged on the rust problem. My local dealer (Clarke Kia -Hudson, OH) told me on the phone that it would covered under warranty. Now I have not taken it in yet, but plan to soon.
    Look at my recent post in the "Sedona Problems" board to see what happened today at the dealer...and good luck on getting yours fixed free of charge.
    I thought by now I (read...my wife), would be driving a new Sedona. However I just haven't had time for the continuing give and take in trying to get a decent deal.
    Here's my saga: Made a deal for 22,300. When signing the paper work, the price was now 23149. This included 349 prep and the additional $500 would be taken off after taxes...the dealer"gave" me a $500 coupon. The $2000 rebate would also be taken off after taxes were added. Is this correct for N.Y.?
    If the $2500 is taken off the top,(which is how I thought rebates work), my out the door price would be 20,649 which sounds okay. I was also given a 3.99% finance rate for 60 months since my credit score was off by about 10-15 points. Last time I spoke with the dealer, without any prompting I was told the finance rate was 3.74. Seems like there's some more wiggle room here.
    As I am understanding your numbers, 20,649 is not the out the door price because it does not include sales tax. You still have to tack on another 900 or so in tax.

The out the door number includes everything in one chestnut (advertising, dealer prep, destination, sales tax.) By using it, you simplify the game that they are playing on you now where they throw this new number at you and then that new number until you can't figure the forest for all the trees.

If 22,300 is your number, then tack on the sales tax amount, subtract 2,500 in rebates, and the resulting number is your out the door - and not a dime more for anything.
    Thanks again...I wasn't sure whether the $2500 should come off prior to sales tax. I was looking to make sure that wasn't another..."and another thing." Okay...rebates are taxable.
    I was not really addressing the issue of whether rebates are taxable. If you are using the out the door format properly, that issue is up to you.

You can change my last line to read: If 22,300 is your number, then subtract 2,500 in rebates, tack on the sales tax amount, and the resulting number is your out the door - not a dime more for anything.

It is your number - throw it out there and see if the dealer is willing to salute it.

Let's face it - they are going in your direction. You started at 23,500, then 22,500, and now 22,300 - who knows?
    I ordered an engine air filter last week online from Autozone and installed it. I was amazed at how dirty the original air filter was after just 10,200 miles. Will see if and how this affects gas mileage performance.

Changed the oil after 6 mos; didn't quite make it to 3K miles. I use 6 mos or 5K miles, whichever first. Will see what the lab thinks.

Made an appointment on Friday for the following issues:

Seatbelt bolt recall; TSB on a/c cooling fan noise; fix both 2nd row headrests; fix ash tray lid that does not stay closed; replace rear window washer nut cover; front end struts thunking - replace strike plate; fix keyless entry working distance-- replace receiver grounding plate.

I'm going to try to remember to ask about the ac filter and the cabin air filter, too, when I drop it off.