Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Ranger

brucer1brucer1 Posts: 1
edited March 5 in Ford
I am looking very seriously at a Ford Ranger XLT
King Cab 4x4 with the 4.0 engine with auto trans.
I have had trouble finding anyone who has
purchased a similar vehicle the last year or two.

I would appreciate any comments, pro or con that
anyone may have. Also how anyone who has one feels
about the automatic trans. I currently have two
other 4x4s with five speeds. How does the
automatic 4 wheel drive handle snow and ice?

Bruce

Comments

• MotormouthMotormouth Posts: 99
    You don't mean the "SuperCab" do you?

I don't see any listing for something called a "King Cab" in the Ranger line.

If, however, you meant the "SuperCab," then we have plenty of information available right here if you're willing to make a few mouse clicks.

While you're waiting for others here to provide you with their feedback, why not take a moment to look at ours. Here's how:

At the "Town Hall" entry page, look at the upper right hand corner. Click on "NEW TRUCKS" and follow the hot links to "Ford" and choose the make and model you're interested in. There, you will also find such other info as:

- What's New For 1998
    - Pros & Cons
    - Edmund's Review
    - Competing Models
    - Warranties
    - Specifications & Safety Features
    - Insurance Cost
    - Vehicle Prices (MSRP & Dealer Invoice)
    - Standard Equipment
    - Optional Equipment (Descriptions & Prices)
    - Financing Information
    And there's even a link to help you find a low-price dealer near you.

Then, come on back here and see what others have to add from their personal experience.

Good luck!

Motormouth
  • kirkpamakirkpama Posts: 64
    The 4 door ranger is already out at my dealership. You may want to look at the 4 door model if you want the supercab. It sure improves access to the back seat.
  • ansonanson Posts: 1
    Does the 4 door Ranger have forward facing seats/bench?
  • kirkpamakirkpama Posts: 64
    It didn't have a bench in the back. It had, what Iooked like a football staduim seat that you put on the bleachers. It looked like two 1square foot pads that fold up when you are not using them. It didn't look comfortable at all.
  • JackieSJackieS Posts: 1
    We just bought a 4 door ranger, and tho the back seats are small, they seem comfortable...mostly for kids, but adults could ride for a short time. The only problem we have is, right out of the lot, we have a transmission problem..If they can satisfy us on fixing this, we will enjoy this truck. We have the 3.0 V6, and seems like it will have enough power. Any veiws on this? Where would I find other 3.0 owners to talk with and see how they hold up? Thanks.
  • 1z11z1 Posts: 1
    I'm looking to buy a 98 Ranger 4x4 XLT 3.0 liter. I've heard it has a transmission made by Mazda which might give me trouble down the road. Anyone ever have a transmission problem with one of these trucks?
    Would appreciate any other feedback concerning this purchase. I've had a Ranger for 16 years and had no major problems at all.
    Thanks for any help.
  • ricegradricegrad Posts: 1
    I'm looking to buy a used Ranger but don't know much about the different years/styles/etc. Any advice? The most important thing to me is reliability. But what can you tell me about variations like extend cabs and rear seats and all that? I don't know anything about it, so if you could fill me in on which models come with which options (and exactly what one means by "extend cabs" and all the other lingo) I'd appreciate it.
  • bohdalbohdal Posts: 1
    I am the '98 college grad and ready to buy 98 Ranger XL: plain vanilla; manual, perhaps A/C.
    The only "extra" is 7 feet (not 6 feet) bed (I am big boy).

Where do I look for good price? Leasing conditions?
  • jtruckjtruck Posts: 5
    anyone have any thoughts on why i should choose the 5sp 2wd extended cab 4 cylinder Ranger over the comparable (tacoma) or frontier (nissan)? The toyota and nissan out perform the ranger in every catagory (HP, torque, mpg, payload, towing). The foriegn trucks have a full 5 year engine and drive train warranty compared to ranger's 3 year warranty. They seem to ride nicer too. Sombody stop me, i'm passing up an american truck... Should'nt the Ford dealer be giving me a price break?
  • BrutusBrutus Posts: 1,113
    The only knock I've heard on the Ranger is the lack of power with the engine. Overall quality is supposedly very good. The Tacoma appears to be a very good truck, but I suspect you'll pay a bit more for the Tacoma than you will for a similarly equiped Ranger. If the price difference doesn't scare you away, the Tacoma may be what you are looking for. I've heard some dissatisfied customer remarks about the Frontier. You might check out the posts in the topic on compact trucks. If I'm not mistaken, the Nissan got a "poor" rating in the insurance industry crash test, whereas the Ranger and Tacoma both got "Acceptable" ratings.
  • HectoroHectoro Posts: 1
    what type of alarm would you recommend for a ranger, better stated what is one of the best/most reliable alarms in the market to get?
  • oliverokoliverok Posts: 3
    To ricegrad,

I have a 98 Ranger XLT with the 2.5 L engine and 5 spd. manual. The truck has plenty of power for basic transportation and for pulling a small boat. The power curve drops noticeably with the A/C on though. I traded out of an 85 Toyota Xtra cab that had 100,000+ miles. The few times that I had to buy repair parts from the Toyota dealer, it cost me dearly. An ignitor module without a coil was $314 + tax. In other words, the import was worth the purchase price; however, you will pay big bucks for the repair parts that you cannot get from an auto parts store.
  • rmnixonrmnixon Posts: 21
    I just bought a 98 4x2 supercab with a 4 cyl and a
    5 spd. Two things: first there is a drone with a slight vibration once I shift into 5th gear I have no idea what might cause this or if it is a normal sound of the truck. Number two the mileage I got on the first tank was 20 MPG (mostly highway) I am hoping this is just because the truck is new and needs to break in. I would appreciate any thoughts you all might have.
  • myshamysha Posts: 1
    GETTING READY TO PURCHASE A 98 RANGER XL 4 x 2 ( 4 CYL 2.5 LITRE) TOOK IT OUT FOR A TEST RUN AND IT SEEMED TO STRUGLE CHANGING GEARS EVEN THOUGHT IT WAS AN AUTOMATIC! AS WELL, WHAT'S THE GAS MILEAGE LIKE FOR THIS VEHICLE??
  • oliverokoliverok Posts: 3
    To rmnixon,

My new 98 regular cab 4 cyl. 5-speed Ranger XLT is getting between 26-28 mpg with the a/c running. This is mostly hiway mileage. It has 2,000 miles now and I haven't noticed a change in the mpg. I also have a slight vibration if I shift into 5th gear below 50 mph. Over 55 the vibration is gone. The vibration is probably from the additional strain on the small engine.
  • chugachuga Posts: 1
    I am interested in buying a 95 S-Cab, XLT, 4wd. Anyone have any comments to make about them?
  • grindlegrindle Posts: 4
    I too am looking for a new truck to replace my '88 Ranger xlt supercab 2 wheel drive. Looking for 4x4 supercab either Frontier,Tacoma or Ranger. Purchased 2 '97 4x4 Rangers with plows for work and love them. See Frontier as weak on power, but probably quite reliable and very affordable. See Tacoma as great truck that is grossly overpriced. Both will kill you in repair costs if ever needed. Ranger has great styling, and is mechanically bulletproof. Problem is RUST on Ford. Have replaced 2 gas tanks, spring shackle, rear breaklines, and soon a radiator mount. (And I really baby my vehicles with 3 coats of wax, pressure washing underside etc.) Anybody know how to keep a Ford from rusting out?
  • tkinpatkinpa Posts: 19
    Any word yet whether Ford will put the Explorer's V6 in 99 Rangers? I keep hearing how good it is.
  • twysstwyss Posts: 1
    I just bought a 98 ranger splash. I took all of the information provided by Edmunds about actual dealer cost and ordered the exact model that I wanted. With the rebates I got a $20,900 vehicle for $16,300. I didn't really believe that the dealer would go for it but he did! They were just glad that not enough people looked up the info from a reliable source.
  • 18941894 Posts: 1
    Has anyone had any experience with the automatic shift extended cab Rangers? I've been comparing Tacoma's, Mazda's, and Nissan's. Unfortunately, the only one that "fits" me is the Tacoma and Mazda, and I've also read that the Ranger WOULD fit.
  • justus2justus2 Posts: 1
    Mine has 6 months on it and gets only 20-21 mph on the highway also. It also runs poorly using any brand and grade of fuel. By poorly, I mean has an engine "stumble" that all the other 4 cyls seem to have also (rangers I have tried).
  • sfosfo Posts: 3
    I just bought a '98 Ranger with the Supercab, 4X4, Std transmission and the 4.0L engine. I had an 87 4X2 Supercab std with over 150,000 miles. I loved that truck. It was the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned in my life. I eliminated the Toyota Tacoma as soon as I saw that it had manual locking hubs. The shift-on-the-fly system on the Ranger is real nice. The 4.0L engine has plenty of power, which is important to me since I tow a camping trailer. I get 20 to 21 MPG on the highway, which is acceptable. I haven't had a chance to test it in snow yet, but it pulled my camping trailer out of a tight spot with no trouble! I have noticed some uneven wear on the front tires, and am going to take it in for an inspection. Since it only has 6k miles on it, I can't really say anything about reliability yet. I did get the extended warranty, just in case!
  • coryrcoryr Posts: 2
    JackieS,

I just found this topic so I'm jumping in a little late. I owned a 1995 Ranger XL SuperCab 3.0L for 3 years. Overall a nice vehicle, but the engine never ran right. Computers were replaced, dealers squirmed, voices were raised, but the problem was never solved. If I ran 89 or lower it would knock like crazy under any load (acceleration, hills), and if I ran 92 or higher it wouldn't start. It would crank over 15 times before catching. I ran 89 with 5% ethanol for the best results. It still didn't like warm days or hills but it was the best I could do. I think it was the emission system leaning out my fuel mixture to acheive better pollution/mileage numbers, but I wasn't able to change it.

Other than the engine, I really liked the seats and the ride quality. It handled well, except for bumps of course, and looked great.
  • JockoJocko Posts: 13
    Has Ford come out with ant info yet on what the 99 Rangers will be like?
  • ricks2ricks2 Posts: 17
    Just hit 1K on my new '98 XLT Supercab and it is getting about 22MPG in the city (man. 5-spd, 4cyl. with AC). The 4-dr option really makes the supercab much more usable. I'm planning to take out the back seats though, there's no way anoyone over 3' tall could sit comfortably in them! I already removed the middle seatbelt in the front for the same reason.

-R
  • mikec13mikec13 Posts: 26
    I envy your city mpg. I've got around 1,400 mi on a '98 xlt x-cab 4x4 4.0L V6 auto and I'm only getting around 14 mpg city. But I do a lot of very short commuting in an area that is all hills. BTW, this is a very well-built truck...zero problems, quiet, handles nicely.

I'm 5'10" and I tested the middle of the front split-bench and the jump seats in our 2-door. Either could be useable for a short while. I think a 3-door with single jump seat would be the best compromise in a compact pickup for both access and a rear passenger.
  • You learn something new most everyday. You are right about the Ranger and Mazda being basically the same truck. I found this out when shopping for some after-market accessories. Parts fit both trucks. Is Mazda a Ford vehicle like Saturn is a GM? Anyone know?
  • wkdfwkdf Posts: 2
    Mazda B series & Ford Ranger are the same truck coming off of the same assembly line in Edison NJ...only the nameplate and a few cosmetic touches are different...When I bought my 97 Mazda B 2300 they were offering a much better deal than the Ford dealer on the same truck...it wasn't even close...
  • ken11ken11 Posts: 1
    I've been reading all the comments with interest. Does anyone have a handle on what a good price would be for a 98 Ranger XLT extended cab, 5 speed, 2 wheel drive, 4 cylinder engine, short bed? Only option Would be A/C.
  • ricks2ricks2 Posts: 17
    Like Tim_S said, the 2.5L seems a lot better than my old '96 XLT (2.3L). It runs smoother and there's not as big HP hit, when I turn the AC on.

The only thing I would like to see different, is the way the jump seats are stored. In my old '96, the seats folded into the sidewall. Now, they kinda fold back against the back wall, but still eat up a lot of cargo space.
This discussion has been closed.