Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Classic Cars as daily drivers

Comments

• rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "...but the 70's and 80's sure messed that up!"

LOL! Automotively, ain't that the truth.....
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,722
    i don't drop all the insurance. i keep fire/theft, drop liability. funny thing is, my insurance company screwed up and reported to motor vehicles that i DID drop all coverage. took a phone call to my agent and a letter from the insurance carrier and myself to get it straightened out. the agent said i was far from the first one to call.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,722
    someone told me i would have to get a fleet policy if i bought another(+1) car. :confuse:
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,998
    is "fleet" insurance? A few years back, there was a guy who lived behind my grandparents house who worked on old cars, always had a bunch of parts cars around, and had a few classics of his own. I remember the term "fleet" insurance coming up as to how he could afford it.

Is it just another word for an insurance policy where one driver has a lot of cars on it? Essentially like what I have? Or is there something more to it?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,013
    sounds like geezer nonsense to me....

Sure, if you have a collection of cars, the insurance company gives you a break sometimes...

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• Discount for buying in bulk?
  • bencar1bencar1 Posts: 3
    My personal experience was, that trying to use a 'Classic Car' as a 'Daily Driver' sounds like fun, until you've done it. Between the idiots on the road, and the wear and tear, plus the difficulty you can sometimes encounter in getting a repair part when you need it a.s.a.p., it becomes more of a headache, than a lot of fun. I enjoy my cars more now, since I don't drive them every day, then when I tried doing that with my first classic car. :) image
    ">
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,741
    I would worry too much. If some idiot were to run into that 1960 Plymouth and wreck the grille and fromt fenders, they would be near impossible to find replacements.

And, the shops don't want to work on old cars.
  • I just got a quote for FULL coverage on my 1970 Coup Deville convertible with up to $15,000.00 in repairs for UNDER $190.00 (USD) a year for this car!

Specialty car insurers are pretty cheap as long as you follow their restrictions on mileage and storage. Also, it can't be your only car registered in your name. You probably need an appraisal as well. And if you have an accident, it had better not be 500 miles from home while camping, as you are supposed to restrict your use to daily exercise and special events.

• Maybe you are looking at the wrong place ....

from what I understand - it does NOT matter with the ACTUAL quote I just got a couple weeks ago ...

I can be anywhere with it .... why would they DEPRIVE you of the use of your classic?
    right now I think I pay about $178 a year for my '57 DeSoto, '67 Catalina, and '68 Dart combined. I forget what I had them set the value of each one at, but I think combined the three are insured for close to $20,000.

As for use, here's what my company says on the subject...

"vehicles that are used on an occasional basis -- e.g. club functions, exhibitions, organized meets, tours and limited pleasure driving."

And then there's this little blurb...

"Each licensed household driver needs to have a regular-use vehicle for daily driving and must maintain regular-use insurance in his or her own name."

Also, if you have historic tags on your car, how you can use it is also going to be dictated by your local dept of motor vehicles. Many areas only allow you to drive in on holidays and weekends, to club functions, or necessary things like to the gas station, repair shop, etc. I think some areas do put on mileage restrictions as well, as do some insurers, but it'll vary by jurisdiction and insurer.

For instance, in Maryland I don't think there's a mileage limit. At least, I've never had to record my mileage and give it to anybody. My insurer has never asked me to update my mileage either.
    Well I don't know your policy but I think you should read it and see what they say. They aren't "depriving" you of use, they are charging you a very cheap rate in exchange for concessions you make to them. This type of insurance is not meant to be a substitute for normal car insurance. I feel certain there are some restrictions on your use.

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,785
    I've been meaning to get classic insurance for the fintail, instead of calling in when I drive it (most of the time - sometimes I forget). Seems it would be easier. I forget who I got a quote from...one of the old time companies that advertises in Hemmings...but it was minimal in cost, something like $100/yr with agreed value of $5000.

The historic tags thing is funny...my car has year of manufacture plates on it, which is an equivalent...yet I drove it this way as a normal driver for about 5 years, and never had a hassle. I think it's an unenforced law. I'd hope so, anyway....with all the carnage out there, an old car with old plates is the least important thing for the revenue collectors to worry about.
  • This is some of the FAQ on the Insurance site:

Q. When is an appraisal required?

A. We need justification for a vehicle's value if the agreed value requested is more than any of our current value sources. We also require value documentation for street rods and customs over $50,000. Please call our Auto Service Team at 800-???-???? or email the team at auto@??????.com for further clarification and assistance.

Their policy features:

Low Premiums. Our rates are drastically lower than standard. For example: The standard rate on a '65 Mustang could hit $800/year. ?????'s average premium on the same car? Just $110.

Agreed Value Coverage. In case of a total loss, you will receive the full amount for which you have insured your vehicle.

No Deductible. In most states you will pay nothing if you have a claim with your collector vehicle. We do however, require a deductible option for newer vehicles that are less than 20 years old.*

One-Time Liability Fee. No matter how many vehicles you have on your policy, you only pay a single liability charge.*

Flexible Usage. Drivers can enjoy their classics with comfortable limits. Our policy allows for an occasional leisure drive, not just to parades or car events.

In-House Claims Department. We want your claim handled by a collector insurance expert, so most claims are managed at ?????. We're here for you, even seven days a week during the busiest hobby months, April-October.

Repair Shop of YOUR Choice. Your choice, not ours. Take your collector cars to your favorite repair shop.

Restoration Coverage. You can protect your classic and its increasing value during an active restoration project.

Instant New Purchase Coverage. Unplanned purchases up to $50,000 receive immediate coverage on an existing ????? policy.*

Business-Use Endorsement. Collectors may use their cars for specific business or commercial uses for specified time frames.*

Auto Show Medical Reimbursement. Clients or family members injured during an auto show or similar car-related function will receive pre-determined medical coverage.*

Overseas Shipping/Foreign Touring Coverage. ????? can provide special coverage of your vehicle(s) during overseas transit including cargo shipping, foreign liability and property damage. We also can coordinate coverage during your stay.

Club Liability Program. Protect your club and its members from potential lawsuits while enjoying the same great service and low rates enjoyed by all ????? clients.**

Motorcycle Safety Equipment Coverage. This feature includes coverage of safety apparel, including leather pants, gloves, jacket and a helmet.*

????? Collector Network Membership. You'll have the opportunity to join the nation's largest community of collector car enthusiasts.

* Available in most U.S. states.

.... but I did notice that this company DOES require that it is garaged :mad:
    and that part about "occasional" leisure usage...you have to be careful about that. That's where you can stumble and fall if they catch you in some unauthorized use...like 1,000 miles away at a campsite or something, or if you rack up lots of miles in a year.

Which company is this?

• I was told the limitation was something like average of 3,000 miles a year distance doesn't matter a lot. So; if you drove it 3200 miles it wouldn't matter much.

The insurance agent said that the company wasn't even real nit picky about that.
    Yeah well the insurance agent isn't the one settling your claim...he's the one getting a commission for selling you a policy. Keep that in mind.

• I drive a 1974 Dodge Coronet with a stock 318, and an automatic tranny.
    I get 7.5 mpg city mileage (mostly because I have the pedal to the floor).
    I should think that I would get better highway mileage, but I don't know.
    It always starts, even in the severe cold. I've only had to replace one thing: the starter.
    It burned out or something, but there's nothing mechanically wrong with it, it probably needs a rebuild for the carb, but it's all good.

I plan on putting some headers, manifold, dual exhaust, a thermoquad (or another 4-bbl if I can't get a hold of one of those), some wider tires, and maybe some little hubcaps.
    Probably won't improve my gas mileage, but that's overrated as far as I am concerned.
  • yeah,but those kits can& will last a LOng time.i put one in a dist on my 1967 stang. Very reliable,never had a starting
    problem with her,matter of fact,i just picked up a 390/fmx for her from a 67 Galaxie,and i'll be doing the same conversion.Pertronix makes a really good conversion kit
  • I don't care.I own a 67 mustang& had one accident in it,the lady ran a red light.......did some serious damage,but i walked away. There's NOTHING wrong with driving a older car.Ypu can get just as messed up in a newer,safty brimming car.I still have the old girl, i'm getting ready to put a 390/fmx into her.i'd drive it ANYWHERE/ANYTIME.
    I've had three 318's over the years. Well, one of them, a 1968 Dart, might be a 273, I dunno. Doing the VIN decode, it originally came with a 273, but the guy who had it before me said it had a rebuilt engine, and said it was a 318. But heck, he might not have known either!

Anyway, that Dart usually got around 12-14 around town, and the best I was ever able to eke out on the highway was about 17.8. And the only reason it was that good was because I was going through a really desolate stretch of Arkansas, and hit a spot where it was really far between gas stations, so I nursed it along as gently as I could for maybe the last 50-60 miles.

The next was a 1979 Newport with a 318-2bbl. It had a Lean burn carb and about 230,000 miles on it. I found out that if I advanced the spark enough, it would get about 13 around town, but required premium. Cutting it back to where it would run okay on 87 would drop the mileage down to around 11, and with gas prices at the time, it seemed a draw either way. That sucker would get around 22 on the highway, though. It wasn't so hot, say, from 0-60, but it was a great highway cruiser.

The final 318 was a 1989 Gran Fury ex-police cruiser with a 318-4bbl. Around town was pretty bad, usually 10-13, and it needed premium fuel. On the highway though, I was shocked to see that it could get around 21-22. Not bad at all for a car that was EPA-rated 13 city, 15 highway! Considering the 4-bbl and the quicker gearing (2.94:1, versus 2.45:1 for the Newport and 2.76 for the Dart), I'm really impressed that it could break 20 on the highway.

Oh, if you're doing headers, but mostly local stop and go driving, I think that might actually hurt your mileage a bit. I think with headers it takes the car longer to warm up, so on cold days it might get crankier as well. Also, a 4-bbl model would most likely have a different cam in it to take advantage of the greater fuel/air flow allowed by the larger carb, so you might want to change the cam too, or else you might just end up with the fuel economy of a 4-bbl but the performance of a 2-bbl every time you punch it.
  • This is my '68 GMC truck that my dad bought new. I've put some miles on it.

imagehref="http://www.carspace.com/csPhotos">See more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

Check out the story about it:

http://www.sacbee.com/130/story/152695.html

:)
  • bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    "Registration required" :mad:

What engine does it have? GMCs that year had a choice of the 250 or 292 I6; 305 or 351 V6; or 283, 327, or 396 V8.
  • Sorry about that, didn't know when I posted the link since I am registered there. It actually has a 307 ci V-8 and the three-on-the-tree transmission. 297,000 miles, most of them mine, the remainder from the rest of the family.

A "Carspace" logo, over a scan of a newspaper article, with my original picture...no copyright lawsuits please
    Right, I forgot that the 307 replaced the 283 in 1968. Nice truck, and nice to see it still gets around.
    is one sweet truck. I really like that body style. Hey, were they using all-steel beds by that time, or were the floors still made out of wood?

When my '85 Silverado has breathed its last, I've thought about trying to replace it with a classic pickup, and I always did like that '68-72 style of GMC. Only problem is, my truck has sentimental value, as my Granddad bought it brand-new. I have a hard time parting with cars. :shades:
  • Like Jay Leno said, "If you want to be a car collector then don't ever sell one" Keep the '85 and then get a project truck. Parts are still available.

Yes, steel bed in this one.
    Wood was the standard bed, but steel was an option. Wood beds are fairly common on the 1967-68s, but just about everyone ordered the steel bed by 1972.
  • Hi Everyone...I was online searching for info on using classic cars as daily drivers and found this message board. I would appreciate if I can get some answers on my concerns.

So my husband decided he wants to get a classic car and use it for his commuting...he drives about 50 miles at least 5x per week. He was looking at a 64 malibu or chevelle?? The thing I'm concerned about is safety! We do have an infant and if we need to put a car seat in there, would it be safe enough? And would it be safe enough to use as a daily driver...also since he's going to be putting on massive mileage...would the car actually depreciate in value?

Any input would be helpful!
    Thanks!!!