Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AutoTrader Experiences

Comments

• mybuymybuy Posts: 42
    I wasn't sure where to put this question, so if there is a better forum for it, please let me know. I'm selling my 02 Astro AWD on Autotrader. My first serious buyer lives in the UK now and will be moving back to Montreal where he wants the van shipped. This is the first time I'm selling on the internet, so I have a lot of questions about how to get the money (certified check, I'm sure) and then hand over the title in a way that is trustworthy for both parties + now has the added complexity of shipping across the Canadian border. Any guidance or suggestions of where to look for other advice this would be appreciated.
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Posts: 9,359
    ........ There is a lot of "I live in Nigeria, and I will pay you double" .. "I'm in the UK and I'm moving to the States and I will give you a check for $25,000 and you give me the rest back" .. and unfortunately Ebay just plugged with a $900,000 settlement because of internet fake bids ... I'm sure there will be many more posts on this subject .. me, I have to drink coffee and watch my favorite cartoons.

You have to VERY careful these days ....

Terry.
    Thanks for the heads-up. That's why if this looks legit, I want to be extra careful with working out the details. He did send both his London and Montreal addresses with his inquiry, though I will try to double check if those are legitimate addresses too. As you point out, the internet has lots of possible pitfalls as well as opportunities. Thanks!
    It appears that my UK/Canada based potential buyer is a relative of all the Nigerian-based scams. They has received a large refund check from another deal that had fallen through, and their "agent" would deliver the large check to me, and all I needed to do was hand over the title and the $8100 difference between the refund check and the price of my vehicle. Yeah, right! I sent Autotrader an e-mail about this potential fraud. Who else should I report it to? Seller Beware!
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,602
    Frankly, an Astro is not a particularly rare or expensive item. No way it could be worth the time/expense to ship it, etc. like this (assuming it was a legitimate deal). It would have to be much asier to just find one in Canada (it's not like Montreal isn't a big place with lots of cars).

Maybe on a rare or exotic car it might be worth it, but not a basic domestic.

I wonder how many people actually fall for this scam? Somebody must, or they wouldn't keep trying.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• I just got scammed from an internet "sale". After some E-mails we agreed on a price. I received a cashiers check from a stateside bank and was asked to forward some funds to the shipper, which I did. Later I was asked to forward a little more and another cashiers check was sent, and received, by me. The checks are stolen or couterfit and the account numbers are bogus. This is a Nigeria scam, that we have heard about. Cost me $3700...Take wire transfers only and make sure they are cleared by the bank before doing anything else.
  • Ouch! I'm really sorry to hear that you got taken like that, but thanks for sharing your story. We'd all like to believe the best in people, and with a cashier's check, you tend to figure it's the same as cash.

It sounds like you're wiser, and I sure hope you've recovered from the loss.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• qwallsqwalls Posts: 406
    Sorry to hear that. I got several of these emails when I sold my car this past July. My "buyers" tended to go away when I told them I would only accept a check for the exact amount of the sale, and I had to approve the bank it was drawn on. Goes without saying to confirm the validity of the check with the bank. After 3 or 4, changing my ad to read "US buyers only" helped, and I only got one more bogus email. I got pretty good at spotting the bogus emails. For someone about to spend over 20k for a used car, they just weren't asking the right questions.
  • I can have my friend / sales mgr run it so I can see EXACTLY what options are on the car, as well as the service history that the mfr has captured. If I'm really interested in the car he can run a carfax for me as well. This worked well for me this past year. I can also guess the mfg date off the VIN on certain cars so I can approximate the amount or remaining warranty the car has. There's lots one can do with the right tools and contacts.
  • Dislikes:

1. dealer name, city and phone numbers not listed on main search results page: an annoyance, but i can click through - usually. (I think this falls under traderonlines area of responsibility)

2. mfr certified cars not showing up as such (probably listers fault)

3. Irrelavent "option" info (definately listers fault. This is what I mean, an endless list of cars all with the following "options" leather seats, alloy wheels, V6, auto trans, power windows, AC, etc, ad nauseum when ALL OF THIS is STANDARD EQUIPMENT on the car I'm looking at. The 3 or 4 REAL options, sunroof, Bose audio, sport package, chrome wheels are NOT LISTED. That caused me no end of headaches.

4. no VIN # (listers fault see my previous post)

5. no color, I will NOT buy any shade of beige or tan, uugh! (listers fault)

6. no mileage (listers fault)

What I Like:

1. excellent way to see what is out there and the range of asking prices.

2. can put in a distance and / or year filter

3. can filter for CPO cars

I made extensive use of autotrader in my last two car purchases and will seriously consider it when trying to sell my next car (If I have to sell one).
  • I had my car out on Autotrader for about a year, lowered the price & still got a few calls, I put it on Cars.com which is linked to our local newspaper & it sold in less than a month after listing!
  • wonswons Posts: 9
    I've been trying to research used cars all weekend. Make of car comes up but then the model selection is grayed out and I can't look for a particular model. So, doing a wider search for all models always gets this: 0 vehicles.

Anyone else having trouble with this?
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    I'd say their data base is down or empty, but the internet 'front end' is still working.
  • mldj98mldj98 Posts: 378
    I just recently sold my car and had it listed in several areas such as Auto-Trader, local newspaper, flyer magazine....and when I received calls on it I would always ask where they seen my add...the answers were pretty spread out accross the board...some seen it in the paper, some on the internet, etc...
    But like anything else, if you are trying to sell a product (in this case your car) then you have to put it out where it will give you the most exposure.
    I did gets those scam emails and the answer I sent back was not very nice...trust me! I cannot say those types of things in this forum...
    What I can say is that there is only three ways to accept payment on your car...
    The first is cash!!! Now if your selling a $30,000 car then you may not want that kind of cash laying around in your house...especially since the person who just bought your car knows you have it!!! Need to think about that one...Second is a cashiers check from a LOCAL BANK ONLY!!! That way you can either go down to that bank with the buyer or call them to verify the funds...don't call the number that the buyer gives you...look it up...hell the person could give you the number to their scam buddy and you would never know....last but not least is a wire transfer...by far the best choice...I don't care if they have a bank, credit union, whatever...every financial institution has the ability to due a transfer. You supply the routing number and account number, bank name and presto it is all done...it only takes hours from funds to get from their bank to yours...it is strictly a deposit...and you don't have to worry about giving out your account number because if your bank is any good there is plenty of fraud security there to protect you.....Never, ever conduct deals of such great financial situations through emails...especially Nigerian!!!
    Just read edmunds forums and your learn more in a week than you have your entire life....that's why this forum rocks!!!!
    Be careful out there!
  • nonjth13nonjth13 Posts: 89
    "You supply the routing number and account number, bank name and presto it is all done..." You are not seriously suggesting giving a stranger your bank account information are you?
  • mirthmirth Posts: 1,212
    ...every time you write a check to someone.

Now, if you sign an auto-debit form, that's different...
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,946
    Exactly...

There is no sure or foolproof way to make a major transaction.. No bank is going to take the hit for any fraud you incur... Unless you operate entirely on cash, they will get their money back one way or another...

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• mldj98mldj98 Posts: 378
    nonjth,

You give the information to the buyers bank rep...via telephone or in person if you go to their bank or vice versa.
    I will say it again...if you have a good bank then they have security procedures in place to protect you and your account.
    Besides...they have to pay you for your car someway...and for me, before I sign that title over I always make sure those funds are in my account. I have done this many times with no problems whatsoever!
    If you have a good head on your shoulders and know what you are doing then there should be no problem.
    And if all else fails and you just can handle selling a car to private party then just trade it in!
    Enough said...
  • lhesslhess Posts: 379
    It is irritating when the listers (dealers usually, sorry guys and gals) don't update their listings and remove them when the car sells. Also, lack of details in a listing is a waste - especially color and transmission. My experience is that most dealers that list these used cars KNOW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT THEM. I nearly took a 4 hour drive to check out an Eclipse Spyder (from WV into Ohio). the listing quoted it as being a v-6, I called about it, the salesperson assured me it was a 6 cylinder, we talked price, and thank heavens, I took one last hard look at the autotrader photo and could just make out the GS on the back of the car. I called again and asked if that was a GS, she said yes, so, BAM, it's a 4 cylinder. She said that everyone at the lot thought all Eclipses were 6 cylinders. They even priced it as a GT.

My thoughts on autotrader....look all you want to, check and double-check before you buy!!
  • gregjohnsongregjohnson Posts: 117
    >You do it every time you write a check to someone.

Interestingly, this also works in reverse - The back of the negotiated check gives you the recipient's corresponding information. This can be.... useful.

-Greg
This discussion has been closed.