Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AutoTrader Experiences

13»

Comments

• I have a car listed on autotrader.com. Last week I received an email from someone making a reasonable offer for my car. I thought it was a little odd to make an offer before seeing it in person but I did reply to him that I would accept his offer, and gave him my phone number to arrange to see the car. After 4 days I received the following email from him.

I am very sorry for getting back to you lately,I travel out of State for art exhibition and it will take me about three weeks to get back,I am actually getting the car for my old mum and will not like that you sell it to another interested customer.
    As regards payment.I am very okay with the price of $14200 and will send to you US POSTAL Money order to avoid further tardiness in completing the transaction so as soon as you get it cashed i will informe the agent that will come for pick up.I will need your full name as you will want it on the check,and address,including your direct phone number for easy communication.Get back to me as soon as you get this mail because i will like the car to be ready before my old mum return from Mexico.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,949
    I don't think you have a "buyer"...just too flakey to believe.

Some of these publications tend to attract this.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,695
    Interesting. I don't think I've heard of scams with a US postal money order before, so this has got my attention.

And who is this agent coming to pick it up? If this guy has money to pay an agent, why not use that money to buy "mum" an even nicer car?

Like both you and isell, it just smells fishy. But I'd definitely like to know if they are now scamming with postal money orders.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

i was curious, so i searched and this is the first article I came upon.
    http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/04/26/business/scam.php

i wonder if, unlike cashier's checks, you can just go to your bank with it and have them verify that the money order is truly legit before turning the car over to "his agent."

• Thanks for the link to the article regarding Postal money orders.
    I woujld never consider selling the car without actually talking to the buyer and meeting him in person. The fact that he is e-mailing me rather than picking up a phone is a huge RED FLAG for me.
    And why buy a BMW 323i for his "old mum"?

Thanks again
  • mldj98mldj98 Posts: 378
    DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!
    IT'S A SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have placed my share of cars on autotrader.com and have received the same weird emails.....but once you tell them that you will not release the car until the funds are safely in your bank.....you will never here from them again!!!!!
    EVERY single ad that I have placed on autotrader.com comes with one or more scam emails....and when I send a not so nice email back to them....again, you never hear from them again. If someone is interested in doing business like that then a phone call and wire transfer is the way to go....get your bank involved and asked them what in the best SECURE way of doing this transaction!!!
    Again, DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    I agree with mldj98....Something is fishey. Even bank/cashier checks can come back to haunt you 2-3 weeks down the road. Have the friend meet you at your bank and tell him to bring cash only. This should scare away any scamers...
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    And I thought that changing (to a larger amount) is a standard con for inmates that get that ugly pen-pal gal. Get her to cash a valid $10 money order they have changed to $1000. And give the money to their dear old mum for lawyer fees to get them out of the framed-up charges that put them in the pen....

I vote for a scam. Probably a bogus money order.
    VERY interesting!

I wonder if my neighbors would appreciate that truck sitting in front of my house? :)
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 15,676
    I think Andre should buy it. He can use it to move around the fleet when they won't start.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

I'll let him know it'sstill available!
  • On 2/1/2006 I purchased a car from Sheehy Ford of Marlow Heights (Maryland) and I have had nothing but trouble since. I understand that I cannot print the names of the culprits, but if you don't go there, you will never need to inquire. I have reported them to BBB, but so far they haven't been very helpful. In not so many words, they are not honoring the agreement made by the former GM, who has not quit. Actually, I know there has to be some problems there because the dealership has gone through 1 GM and several floor managers since February of this year!!

The 2nd day after purchase, the trunk wouldn't open--I took te vehicle back, because I have 3 days to return the vehicle for a "refund". The GM said he would authorize the repair because he didn't want to refund the sale--I had the trunk fixed by the authorized repairman...Now 7 months later, I receive a bill where Sheehy refuses to pay the bill--AND I'M EXPECTED TO PAY UP!!!

I just want to save someone of the trouble that I have gone through for the last 7 months...I am totally turned off from SHEEHY FORD ---the Sheehy name is now a disgrace to hard working honest people looking for a quality vehicle and people of interity who stand behind their word and the vehicles that they sell to the public!!!!
    Are a good place to slander a business.

Who knows what the other side of this story may be?

And, where do people get this three day return idea? this applies to solicited sales only. If someone sells you a Kirby Vacuum at your front door, you have a three day cooling off period!

and, what does this have to do with Auto Trader?
  • I was wondering if any of you have had a similar experience buying a car using Autotrader.
    The seller is in England and the car is suppose to be in NY in a warehouse, the seller is using Moneybookers.com escrow services (UK based company, works like paypal), they require a deposit of 35% of the transaction to deliver the car for 10 days for inspection.
    I did my research and got the car fax on the vehicle, it shows the last owner to be a auto auction.
    The seller require the deposit to be paid to him as a money order before they can deliver the car for inspection.

The car is been sold for a lot less than the market value.
    It looks like a scam but I wanted to see if anybody else had a similar experience.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    Definitely a scam, RUN RUN RUN away.
    yup. Escrow service and warehouse are 2 key elements in most of these car scams.

• bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    Run away, run away!

If you do this, you WILL lose the 35% of the purchase price!
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,813
    The last used car I bought I located on Autotrader. I then went to the dealers website where I found it listed for $1000 less.

I would recommend Autotrader to locate a vehicle but I would then search the dealer's site or call the dealer to confirm price.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

• Hi is there anyone else that knows or have been victim of this scam
  • joel0622joel0622 Posts: 3,302
    Google "Auto Escrow Scams" and you will find a bunch

I had a guy in England try to run a similar scam on me here one time but we caught on quick.

When I contacted the bank he was writing the stolen check on they said I was welcome to forward the info but it is so rampant they probably would not pursue it.
13»
This discussion has been closed.