Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1999 Ram pickups

TimezoneTimezone Posts: 3
edited February 28 in Ram
Is there any word out on the 1999 Ram pickups
yet? I would like to know what are the changes
if any. Also the increase in price.

Comments

• KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,495
    The 1999 changes that are known are the following:

1) No Club Cab - production will only last until the stock of bodies is used up, then all extended cabs will be Quad Cabs.

2) SS/T model dropped

3) fog lights will be available for the diesel/automatic combo

4) New trim level - SLT Plus (formerly the Leather option for the SLT)

5) revised trim for the Sport package (new graphics)

6) Quad Cab Sport models will have "Quad" headlights - no picture or description, but some of us are assuming a composite lamp similar to what GM uses

Expect the typical 1.5%-2% price increase that Dodge has made every year since 1994 (the 1500s go up the most, 3500s the least)

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• retireeeeretireeee Posts: 4
    Dodge 800 number said the only available information at this time was that there will be a 6 speed trans available for diesel engines in 1999. Brochures and futher info . would be available some time in Aug. If anyone hears more let us know. Keep on truckin---
    Just got word from a dealer sales manager that the SLT Plus I mentioned will not be a separate package - it will remain the leather option of the SLT as before. Dodge said that was an error on the dealer info packet.

• tlippytlippy Posts: 8
    Your info on the '99 Dodge is correct. It's a pleasure to find someone who knows what he's talking about. I just ordered a '99 Ram Diesel without knwing the price increase. Delivery 8/15/98. Some guys on the net are complaining about a shutdown of Cummins because of computer failures on the ISB B5.9. Any truth? What's your email address? tlippy@aol.com
    haven't heard about any computer failures of the ISB - just delays in dealers getting the correct diagnostic software to read the Cummins computer.

email is kcram@ix.netcom.com

• nascar6nascar6 Posts: 113
    Would like to see four-wheel disc brakes on '99 models like the new Super-Duty's. My other wish seems like it's going to come true-- 6 speed manual transmission!
  • jkendalljkendall Posts: 30
    I've ordered a V 10. I was told production would start on July 25. Anybody else heard? I'm eager to get it. I've had a 1500 club cab for 3 1/2 years now, just need a bit more power (please, no lectures about V10 vs. diesel...I have to drive it..most of time empty, but do pull a gooseneck horse trailer a few times a year).
    jkendall,
    It's hard to lecture a man when it sounds like he knows exactly what he needs. Good choice.
  • kDUKEkkDUKEk Posts: 10
    Ladies and gentlemen:

This may not be the appropriate forum to ask this question, but I'm going to ask it anyway....

After the 1999 GM pickups go on sale, what will be the next major shake-up in the pickup trucks world?

I'm just curious as to what I will be looking forward to in the future. All I know is that I will be worshipping the person who redesigns the F-Series for the better.

Thank you and good day.

Duke
    More '99 news

I've read in the newsgroups that there will be a new color added for the sport option--
    Solar Yellow.
  • RoclesRocles Posts: 985
    kcram,
    What is the reason behind the quad-only decision? Is Dodge planning on a body change soon?
    I figure I'd ask you since you seem to have alot of good answers. You and Brutus should be paid consultants for edmund's. I know we don't always agree but I respect everything you write 100%. I still think that deep down, that Super-duty is calling you! It already got Brutus.
  • BrutusBrutus Posts: 1,113
    But will my truck ever arrive? I'm at 14+ weeks and counting, and my order still hasn't been pulled. My dealer swears that it has nothing to do with me getting a price below dealer invoice, but I have my doubts. I figure he eventually has to prioritize it, so it gets pulled. The good news is that I still have my current truck, and don't plan to get too serious about advertising it until the order gets pulled.
    Roc

Thanks - respect is all I can ever ask of anyone :)

The Quad-only decision was sales driven. Dealers can't give Clubs away unless someone specifically asks for one. I have a letter from Chrysler's Jeep/Dodge Truck engineering - they are already designing the next Ram, and it should be out as a MY2001.

I was a Ford guy fr a LONG time. My last F-series was so bad, and the dealer service so poor that I vowed not to drive another one. On that last one, I had more brake jobs than oil changes, had the steering system die (see if you can get home from anywhere without EVER turning left - it takes serious planning), dealt with more than its fair share of other repairs, and filed complaints with Ford for two separate dealers.

Do I like the Super Duty? Yeah, I do. Will I buy one? Not likely - I'll wait for the Ram to catch up to it, since Chrysler seems a lot more serious about making a *truck* than GM obviously does.

One of the trucks that eve made me thinka bout a Dodge was an old W350 at muy dad's job (Meadowlands Sports Complex here in NJ - one of the operations pickups). I believe it's an 84. Body was so beat up, the tailgate didn't even open any more. Always fired on the first crank and did whatever you asked of it. I drove it couple of times running errands, and it was like driving a cinder block - that stiff, but that tough. I figured it was FINALLY dead because I hadn't seen it in a few years. Couple days ago, I had to go down tp the arena and bring my dad his other keys. Sitting in the tunnel was a recently repainted W350 - yep - same one. It's now almost 15, still fires up, has a current inspection sticker (meaning it still passes emissions), and they repaired the bed too. Has outlasted trucks bought since.

• RoclesRocles Posts: 985
    kcram,
    Wow! That long from an old Dodge?From any truck is impressive.

Brutus,
    When were you supposed to receive this truck? I would be a little peeved by now. I never had that long of a wait for an ordered truck and we always buy at invoice. Difference might be that I do have two great dealers--Ford and Chevy--that love working with us.
  • cdeancdean Posts: 1,110
    14+ weeks!? i'm cringing, i can only imagine your anxiety.
  • BrutusBrutus Posts: 1,113
    I was initially told 12 weeks. I've heard of people waiting 16 weeks, but I haven't heard of many people waiting longer. I figure I have 4-6 weeks after my order is pulled, so a best case scenario for me is probably mid to late August. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't come until September. At a minimum, my order will take almost five months. No doubt the dealer could have found a way to rush the order along a little quicker, but it will get here eventually. I'm still driving my current truck, so the wait isn't as bad as it could be if I had sold it and was driving a loaner.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,657
    KC

Are you also on the AOL Car & Driver board a.k.a. mdniteeagl?
    you found me, RS - how are ya?

• rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,657
    Pretty good KC.

I'm new to this board, but from what I've read so far it appears that they have some intelligent/adult people here. Quite a difference from C&D's boards!

I think you will find me here quite a bit in the future.
    definitely more civilized here, RS. Every now and then an idiot comes in, but 99% of the stuff here is informative, respectful opinions and hints. Glad you found it!

This discussion has been closed.