Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Rear main seal questions

hondaperfhondaperf Member Posts: 4
edited April 2014 in Honda
I own a 1993 Honda Prelude Si. Last month I found out that I had a rear main seal leak. I have been driving the car ever since but my father is sick of my car staining the driveway so a friend and I are planning to replace the seal. First question is am I going to have to lift the entire engine out or can I just drop the transmission and go from there? Other than the seal itself what other items will I need to finish the project. Finally, while I'm down there replacing the seal is there anthing else I should check that might need replacing. Any help you guys could give me would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well, let's see....you should be able to replace the seal with the engine in place. You would also want to replace the pilot bushing (may need a puller for that) and of course, the clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing. You should also check the surface of the flywheel for roughness and have it surfaced since it's out anyway. Also a good time to replace any bad CV boots or joints. If this is an automatic, then you can skip most of what I"ve told you except for CV stuff.....as for the flywheel, you could check to see if any teeth are broken.
This discussion has been closed.