Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2014 Volkswagen Jetta Lease Questions

Comments

• mrpottymrpotty Posts: 1

Just leased a '14 Jetta S automatic for 3 years/12k miles a year. Put nothing down at all (all fees and tax rolled in) and ended up at $229 a month. Credit score is in the low 700's Did I get screwed?

Cap cost was somewhere around $16,750 and the buy out is $10,252. We have an 8 percent sales tax here, $75 doc fee, $625 acquisition.. rate said ".00010." at least i got the monster mats, trunk mat, and first aid kit :)

Thanks!

• iwantacarnowiwantacarnow Posts: 4
    edited February 7

Thanks for all of this info...it's very helpful! I'm looking to lease a Volkswagen Jetta SE with Connectivity (with or without sunroof/black exterior and interior) in the SoCal area. I was just quoted something that sounds like a good deal but I wanted to make sure that it was in fact a good deal and that I don't jump the gun. Would you mind telling me what you think?

2014 VW Jetta SE with Connectivity & Sunroof (black exterior/interior): (1) $2000 down + $236.81/month for 35 months; (2) Lease Price = $20,895; (3) Net Cap Cost = 20,222.74; (4) Of the $2000 down $1297.26 of it consists of capital cost reductions; (5) Residual Value = 52%; (6) Money Factor = .000240 on approved credit (base on A tier). Plus 2 years maintenance and 3 year warranty.

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,808

That looks pretty good.. I calculate about $5/mo less than that, but close enough..

I don't see any need to make the CAP cost reduction, though... The money factor is dirt cheap (less than 0.6% equivalent). If you rolled that $1300 into the lease, your due at signing would only be $700, and your payment would be about $37/mo. more...

I'm assuming $20,895 is the MSRP? If not, give me the MSRP and I'll start over.. lol. Also, what about tax?

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• rjc5rjc5 Posts: 11

I second the no need for CAP cost reduction. I was on C tier bumped to B. I was out the door with 500 down which included the TTL fees,and the first months's payment. On A tier you have more leverage I think.

I emailed (set up email just for car shopping) 30 dealers near my zip (100 mile radius) from the contact us page on the dealer websites where you have to enter a phone number (GV number comes handy). 10 or so gave quotes by email, first within 45 minutes of sending email.. Others said to call them or visit the dealership. I had specified to contact me by email still many called which went to voice mail.

If you are going for A/T it will be easier i think. There were only a few M/T of my trim level available.

(BTW, on M/T reverse and first are next to each other which is a bit dangerous imho. I almost hit other vehicles multiple time mistaking the gears. On my old saab first and reverse were diagonally opposite. I am trying to get used to the new configuration.)

• Hello Host! Can you please provide money factor and residual information for the GLI? Also, are there any dealer incentives I should know about? Thanks!

@alwayslol1984 said: Hello Host! Can you please provide money factor and residual information for the GLI? Also, are there any dealer incentives I should know about? Thanks!

.00087 MF and 56% residual for 36mo, 15K/yr lease. $500 lease cash.

• @kyfdx and @rjc5 thanks for the help! Turns out the guy never responded back to my additional questions (wth?!) so I had to get another quote from another dealer. I received quotes for two models this time: 2014 SE conn/sun (auto)and 2014 SEL (auto). Per your recommendation, I asked for quotes for both $500 down and $2000 down. Soooooo what do you think of these quotes? I'm trying to the get the vehicle selling price down to $20165 for the SE because that's what the base price is on TrueCar. Am I asking for too much? Should I go for it??!!

SE.jpg 79.9K
    SEL.jpg 105.6K
  • @kyfdx One more question! If the destination charge isn't listed on a quote should I assume that it has already been included in the vehicle selling price? So in the quotes above for the VW SE $500 down am I to assume that vehicle selling price is actually $20698 + $820 = $21518? Or will be stuck with paying the $820 somewhere else?

Well.. all quotes should include the destination charge.. But, that doesn't mean you should assume it's in there. A lot of dealers work very hard to hide the real price.. you have to be vigilant.

• rjc5rjc5 Posts: 11
    edited February 14

Based on my very limited knowledge and experience I think the deal with the 500 due at signing is great for A/T, SE w/connectivity and sunroof with 15k miles/year. Total out by lease end will be about 9110, (246*36+254), plus lease end fee of 350. I don't get the Tax on collected items amount of 160 though. Think it should be a little bit less. But it is a small amount. Watch out for the Total of Payments(Amount you will have paid by the end of the lease) box on the lease agreement (Should total out to 9110+350).

You may be able to bring the numbers down a little bit if you haggle on the selling price i think or by checking with more dealerships... which takes time and effort. They should be able to waive the $254 at the least by bringing the selling price down. But the fact that they gave the breakdown (instead of the 4 square worksheet) of the numbers including the money factor in writing is a good sign for me. That is pretty transparent imo.

I see advertised! sale price in my area (norcal) for 19255(with president's day sale) but not sure how that works out for a lease.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,936

hmm, some of the #s are really low. Son just got his first car post-college. a 3/36 on an SE C+S. absolutely nothing at signing, then 35 @$285 including NJ tax. DMV/doc fees rolled in up front also. maybe not the lowest anyone got, but he was happy with it.

I know the MF was .00034.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (mine)

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,764

@kyfdx

Can you tell me the lease rates & money factors (36 months/15K per year) for the following:

2014 Jetta SE w/ Connectivity & Sunroof (6-Speed Automatic) 2014 Jetta TDI w/ Premium (6-Speed DSG)

Thanks as always for your help my friend!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

Current numbers are only effective through today.... Might want to wait for a few days, and see what we get.

I'll wait then. You know I'm not looking to do anything until Labor Day Weekend anyway. Just looking for some numbers to mach up a lease for myself. I'm really curious to see how much more a TDI would cost me over the course of a 3 year lease. I think the SE is going to end up cheaper all the way around, especially with diesel costs being so high right now compared to RUG where I live in CT. I paid $3.799 for RUG the other day & noticed Diesel was at $4.499 per gallon.

Bradd you copycat. I am waiting on the Golf. Should be a nicer package. And more European. And yeah TDI Will cost you a lot more per month.

I thought you weren't doing a. Lease on the next car? I'm getting so confused

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 6,358

@stickguy said: Bradd you copycat. I am waiting on the Golf. Should be a nicer package. And more European. And yeah TDI Will cost you a lot more per month.

I thought you weren't doing a. Lease on the next car? I'm getting so confused

Me too. I don't think the math works out in favor of diesel on a lease. I think you'd need to keep the car for 5 years or more before you start saving money, especially with the fuel price delta in CT. Here in CO, RUG is $3.539 while ULSD is $3.799.

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT / 2010 Mazda CX-7 GT / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4
    Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

You don't get the diesel to save money on ST running costs. You get it for LT keeper reasons or if you drive huge highway miles. But mostly because you like the experience.

• Can you provide current March 2014 residual and MF for the 2014 GLI Autobahn w/o navigation (assume best credit), along with current incentives?

Lease would be 3yr/10k.

Thank you

@stickguy

My wife's "new normal" mileage on her Pilot is going to be closer to 12K. So (theoretically), I could lease a car with 15K per year and split the driving between the new car, her Pilot, & my Prelude (weather & traffic permitting). I plan on using the cheap lease payment to show a more favorable debt to income ratio to the bank when I refinance my house.

that could work. Or buy something a few years old and not worry about being tied to the lease. In either case, spreading the miles around makes sense. I am trying to do that now with my TL, since that is so miled up already it is like "found money", and with all the emergency trips I was doing (and not having a 2nd car for the last 8 months) the RDX was piling them up fast.

Even if I buy something a few years old, I'll still have to finance it. As long as I'm makin payments, it might as well be on something new.

• bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,721

I am officially at the point of needing to make a choice buying out my current lease or move on to a new lease. I am over my miles for the lease term by about 4k. I am hoping that they go easy on me if I choose to trade into a new lease. I might be able to get a good deal since sales have been low due to a bad winter! I keep adding the miles on, but each month I pay down on the term. I am thinking that I want an SEL this time. There really isn't any other VW I want. I love the Jetta. I have a 2011 Jetta SE, conv/rf

What would you guys do? I am thinking that I would like to trade just so that I am back to new again. Plus if I finance I have another chunk of years left to pay off. I know, because I still have my 2008 Jetta.

@stickguy said:

that could work. Or buy something a few years old and not worry about being tied to the lease. In either case, spreading the miles around makes sense. I am trying to do that now with my TL, since that is so miled up already it is like "found money", and with all the emergency trips I was doing (and not having a 2nd car for the last 8 months) the RDX was piling them up fast.

Well first get it appraised to see what it is worth, and look for similar cars for sale. That should tell you if it is a good deal or not. And no matter what you do you will be financing for the next 3 years.

Goo chance though you come out ahead on a release. Lots of issues can get buried in that. Possible to swap into a new one now and have payment go down. Plus a vastly improved engine!

Check early. They may be able to do a pull forward and swap you out early.

Yes, I am definitely going to try. I attempted to trade back in the fall, but my local dealer was extremely high pressured. I never returned. I have seen the same cars there, so maybe they will be willing to move. Though, I wonder if I want a car that has been buried in ice, salt and snow for months here in Indiana!? I am thinking a new model off the truck. I will let you know what happens.

You can pick something fresh off the lot. When we got the Jetta last month the weather was horrible but our unit was so new off the truck it was still where they dropped it with all the white plastic still on it.

The Jetta SE/SEL has a good lease program, this month...

.00004 MF and 51% residual for 36mo, 15K/yr lease, with $1250 lease cash.

that is certainly a low MF. Might have saved money getting one this month instead of last!

@stickguy said: that is certainly a low MF. Might have saved money getting one this month instead of last!

After you get the car, stop looking at the new numbers.. ;-)

Thank you for the update and info about the latest incentives! How should I go about making sure the dealer is willing to work with me with this deal? The last time I went in there; they ran me over. I never went back. Hence, why I am still in my current lease. I currently pay $350 for my SE, should I be able to get them around this amount? What is a good lease payment for an SEL? Realistically so I am not taking advantage of them and so I am not asking too much. Thank you guys!!

Thank you for the update and info about the latest incentives! How should I go about making sure the dealer is willing to work with me with this deal? The last time I went in there; they ran me over. I never went back. Hence, why I am still in my current lease. I currently pay $350 for my SE, should I be able to get them around this amount? What is a good lease payment for an SEL? Realistically so I am not taking advantage of them and so I am not asking too much. Thank you guys!!