Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2014 Volkswagen Jetta Lease Questions

Comments

• bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,721
    edited May 22

I > @Michaell said:

Question: On that SEL quote, do you think the sale price can go down any? That way I could get any closer to my payment goal of $350. Is there any more wiggle room? Do you think they are applying all incentives? Does the lease mileage make a difference 10k/12k/15k make any difference in payment?

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 3,828

@bvdj84 said: I > Michaell said:

Question: On that SEL quote, do you think the sale price can go down any? That way I could get any closer to my payment goal of $350. Is there any more wiggle room? Do you think they are applying all incentives? Does the lease mileage make a difference 10k/12k/15k make any difference in payment?

I'm not in the market for a Jetta, so I don't know what a good transaction price would be - you can use the pricing tools at the top of the page to figure out invoice and TMV prices. That would be a good starting point. Then apply the lease cash to that and compare to what the dealer is offering you.

Reducing the number of miles per year will lower the payment, as the residual is higher. All base residual values for VW assume 15K per year. Add 2% to the residual for 12K and 3% for 10K.

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT / 2010 Mazda CX-7 GT / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4
    Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Great! Thank you! I don't really want to reduce the mileage, but mileage is not an issue in my leases. I have always traded at the half way mark and was able to lease another model. This time around I drove it too long. I always turn in early before lease end so wouldn't contract mileage not be an issue? If I reduced down to 10k, maybe that would help get me to my goal.

@bvdj84 said: Great! Thank you! I don't really want to reduce the mileage, but mileage is not an issue in my leases. I have always traded at the half way mark and was able to lease another model. This time around I drove it too long. I always turn in early before lease end so wouldn't contract mileage not be an issue? If I reduced down to 10k, maybe that would help get me to my goal.

It depends. If you had a 36 month, 12K mile per year lease but drove 25K in the first 6 months and tried to trade it in, you could be hit with mileage charges. Some finance companies pro-rate the miles.

But yes, all things being equal, your payment on a 10K lease would be less than on a 15K lease simply because the residual is higher, so the amount of the payment for depreciation is lower.

Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Good point! Though, no company has asked me to pay mileage. I pay this in the form of negative equity. I am nervous to drop my mileage down, but see my driving habits decreasing in the next year. 10k might work its way out. (maybe)

I am so over all of this. I can't drive anywhere far until I figure all of this out. Summer is here too. Thank you again for all of your guidance!

I think I am doing a deal today!! Is there any extra cash that came in for holiday weekend other than the 500. The 1,500 and the 500 is the only bonus cash?

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,036

Sounds good... Is it stick or automatic?

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• apexspeedapexspeed Posts: 4

I'm looking at leasing a 2014 Jetta TDI Value Edition with a manual transmission for 36 months / 15k miles per year. Earlier this month, you guys provided residual, MF, and lease cash for the Jetta TDI (http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/comment/4140306/#Comment_4140306). Do these numbers still hold for the Value Edition?

I also see that there is $500 from VW available between now and June 2nd (http://www.vw.com/special-offers/). Could I expect this to stack with the $750 lease cash?

Thanks!

@apexspeed said: I'm looking at leasing a 2014 Jetta TDI Value Edition with a manual transmission for 36 months / 15k miles per year. Earlier this month, you guys provided residual, MF, and lease cash for the Jetta TDI (http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/comment/4140306/#Comment_4140306). Do these numbers still hold for the Value Edition?

I also see that there is $500 from VW available between now and June 2nd (http://www.vw.com/special-offers/). Could I expect this to stack with the $750 lease cash?

Thanks!

Yes.. those are the current numbers, and the $500 should stack..

• jmarkelsjmarkels Posts: 3
    edited June 6

Hi there, can you please let me know the current MF and residual on Jetta SE auto w/conn, 12k mi/36 mo. I am in MO. Is there any lease cash this month? Many thanks!

@jmarkels said: Hi there, can you please let me know the current MF and residual on Jetta SE auto w/conn, 12k mi/36 mo. I am in MO. Is there any lease cash this month? Many thanks!

.00046 and 52%. $1500 lease cash this month.

@vw_wagon said: Yes, gas. Are the MF and residual the same for a Sportswagen S automatic?

Yes

• jmarkelsjmarkels Posts: 3

Awesome. Do you have the numbers for 24 mo and 12 k/yr? Thanks!

@Michaell said: .00046 and 52%. $1500 lease cash this month.

@jmarkels said: Awesome. Do you have the numbers for 24 mo and 12 k/yr? Thanks!

59% residual for 24 months.

• slamshifterslamshifter Posts: 25

My son just graduated from college and just last week was offered his first job. I am steering him toward a Jetta S manual and will help him lease one since it should be more affordable than buying one outright. His job offer is purely entry level but it's a start!! What are the June MFs and Residual on Jett S manual @ 36 months/12k miles per year? Is there still lease cash on the table from VW. Also does VW Credit have a first time customer program to sweeten the pot? TIA -- slamshifter

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,295

I recently helped my son lease a Jetta, for the same reason (he graduated last May, and got it in February after he had been working for about 6 months).

They did have a recent college grad program. He will have to provide some documentation (diploma, job proof) but it is pretty easy. I think they wiaved the first payment, or kicked in $500, but there was something. Also take into account for lease rates.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

@slamshifter said: My son just graduated from college and just last week was offered his first job. I am steering him toward a Jetta S manual and will help him lease one since it should be more affordable than buying one outright. His job offer is purely entry level but it's a start!! What are the June MFs and Residual on Jett S manual @ 36 months/12k miles per year? Is there still lease cash on the table from VW. Also does VW Credit have a first time customer program to sweeten the pot? TIA -- slamshifter

.00068 and 53%. $1250 lease cash.

@slamshifter said: My son just graduated from college and just last week was offered his first job. I am steering him toward a Jetta S manual and will help him lease one since it should be more affordable than buying one outright. His job offer is purely entry level but it's a start!! What are the June MFs and Residual on Jett S manual @ 36 months/12k miles per year? Is there still lease cash on the table from VW. Also does VW Credit have a first time customer program to sweeten the pot? TIA -- slamshifter

I'm all for saving money, but for just $20/mo. more he could get the 1.8T SE model or the TDI value edition.. (manual) That's a big step up for just a little cash.

the S 2.0 is a dog for sure.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

@Michaell@kyfdx@Edmunds‌ @stickguy‌ thanks for the replies. The 1.8 is a fine engine I've heard. I might throw in a few bucks to make sure he gets the SE. Is there any difference in the MF and Resid going from S to SE? TIA -- slamshifter

@slamshifter said: Michaell‌ kyfdx@Edmunds‌ stickguy‌ thanks for the replies. The 1.8 is a fine engine I've heard. I might throw in a few bucks to make sure he gets the SE. Is there any difference in the MF and Resid going from S to SE? TIA -- slamshifter

.00046 and 52%

@Michaell‌ Why doesn't the Golf command such finance deals for VW?

@slamshifter said: Michaell‌ Why doesn't the Golf command such finance deals for VW?

I think the Jetta is the volume leader for VW - competing in the popular compact sedan segment against the Cruze, Corolla, Dart, etc.

Hatchbacks aren't just as popular in the US, so VW must figure there isn't as much need to add incentives to them.

Hardly ant golfs on the lot. Rows of jettas.

• rbirns1rbirns1 Posts: 217

So the SE, with the better engine, has a lower residual?

@rbirns1‌ yes I noticed that too. (Wonder why that is?) I am guessing there is less chance of hot rodding the less powerful engine?

And...actuariasts have an answer for every scenario!

Or are they known as actuarials?

Actuaries

It's pretty typical for higher trim lines to have lower residuals.