Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let's Discuss the Projected Reliability of the New 2015 Honda Fit from Mexico.

carattorneycarattorney Posts: 54
edited September 15 in Honda

Since the Honda FIT came to the United States from Japan in 2007, all Units made and sold by Honda have been manufactured in Japan through the current model year.

Starting with the newly redesigned 2015 Honda FIT, to be delivered to US Dealers this coming spring (2014), Honda built an assembly line for US shipments in MEXICO! No longer will the US receive FITS from Japan starting in the Spring of 2014.

Honda's Statement is the following: "For North America, the brand-new Fit will be constructed in Mexico, in a plant modeled heavily on the company’s innovative brand-new Yorii manufacturing facility in Japan."

Does anyone here on Edmunds want to "weigh-in" on the reliability of vehicles manufactured in Mexico vs. Japan?

Is it safe to conclude that if Honda builds the assembly line--it really does not matter what country the FIT is manufactured in?

Are assembly lines so automated now, that workers are mere attendants and it does not matter if an automobile is manufactured in Mexico, Japan, Germany, Italy, China, or America--the car will be the same quality no matter what?

Comments

• accdguy13accdguy13 Posts: 7

It really is hard to say. My first Honda - a 2003 Accord was built at a Mexican plant and I had horrible paint quality issues. Mechanically it was flawless. I'd be willing to bet that with Honda's increasingly strict quality standards - the Mexican built FIT will be similar in quality levels to Japanese produced units. I am concerned about their quality control however, and the reliability of Honda's direct injection engine and CVT transmission. Time will tell

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,809
    edited June 22

Won't have to worry as much about it having radioactive parts I suppose. :p

People said the same sort of things about Nissans from Canton, Mississippi and Mercedes M-Class SUVs from Alabama (they did have problems with those, but who's to say any new factory would have had bugs?)..

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• carattorneycarattorney Posts: 54

Stopped over at my local Honda dealer this week to check out the first shipment of the new FITS that just arrived. Didn't test drive, just took a look around. Sticker stays they are 70% Mexico, and the Transmission is made in Indonesia. I did not know that Indonesia was known for Transmissions? It's definitely a new and different body--side panels have a curved indentation that runs almost the full length of the vehicle. On the doors, the indentation is deep enough that you could almost affix a temporary ledge to the side. You will have to see them in person. Wonder why they choose to design that in? Aerodynamics? Appearance?

It almost gave me the impression that if you got a dent on the doors, it may not be immediately noticeable, because you already have a deep factory dent that is more noticeable.

Again, you have to see it in person.

I can't tell if I like it or not yet? I am kind of used to my 2009 FIT body style.

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,809
    edited June 23

Why call it FITS? Honda doesn't use all caps. All those Mazda MAZDA3 names bug me too. :)

Would like to hear your test drive report; hope you make time to do one. I had a Fit overnight a few years back and wanted to like it but it was just too buzzy or something.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,741
    edited June 23

I just don't have a lot of faith in a Mexican/Indonesia built Honda but I suppose my fears could be unfounded.

Once in awhile, I would get a customer who swore that the Japan built Hondas were in some way "better" than the US ones but I was never able to detect one smidgeon of difference.

I spent nearly 20 years in the tool business working for a US company that used to toot their horn about their US manufacturing. Not anymore. On a recent trip to Lowes, I spent some time carefully examining the now Chinese made hand tools, tape measures etc and I have to admit, they looked and felt the same as the old stuff did.

They also sell a brand of wrenches, sockets, ratchets etc called Cobalt that at least in feel and appearance looked flawless.

However, under hard usage, the jaws may spread, the chrome may peel they may break when pushed hard and not stand up to much abuse. I don't know.

I do know the pros who depend on tools for making their living generally stay away from this stuff along with Craftsman and harbor Freight items.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,022

the product will be as good or bad as the management that is overseeing the factory. If you don't train the workers properly, or the working conditions really suck, you're going to have problems. "A fish starts to rot at the head".

it's the same genetic material building Mercedes in the USA as built a lot of Detroit junk in the old days, so there you go.

Also, in addition to management, whether a factory is state of the art or some worn-out facility will have a lot to do with it-----investment $ in, gets quality out.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,741

I can still remember when I was very young, Made in Japan = junk

Scary but countries like China, India and Mexico are perfectly capable of turning out any quality they are asked to turn out.

It is pretty bad when I go to Home Depot to buy some long wooden dowels for a community service project to read Made in China on the label.

So, we ship our wood and steel overseas so they can manufacture something only to have them ship it back here? Something is broken with that system

Getting back to the Fit question, although I am bothered by this outsourcing I would think the quality would be up to snuff. I suppose time will tell.

• dand7dand7 Posts: 1
    I was contemplating getting a new Fit. The Japanese made Fits got tremendous reviews and owners I spoke with raved about them. I checked out the new 2015 Fit and numerous things made me real nervous: Mexican made engines, Indonesian or Philippine transmissions, and 70 % Mexican content are more than enough reasons for me to consider another car. I am a loyal Honda owner, but this new Fit is making me lean heavily towards a Mazda 3 which is still made in Japan, with a Japanese engine and transmission. The Mazda 3 actually gets better mileage and is not that much more money. You only pay for quality once! Caveat: I now see that Mazda is starting to assemble the 3 in Mexico, at least they come with Japanese engines and transmissions!
  • I have a 2009 FIT (Japan)--Love it! Looking at the new FITS. Have my eye on the 2015 yellow loaded (Mexico). Waiting till they work out the bugs a bit more.

Funny story from my Honda Dealer where I get all my servicing done for years:

Met up with the service manager a month before they shipped the 2015 FITS and asked him his opinion of new FITS from Mexico. At first he did not know what I was talking about--he said, "Honda isn't going to make any more cars in Mexico after what happened with the Accord switching from Japan to Mexico a few years ago." I said, yes, they built a new assembly line there. He then "smacks" himself on the side of his head with the palm of his hand, and says, "I remember all the trouble and complaints we had with the Mexico units when they started making the Accord over there." "I don't understand it." Shakes his head a few time.

The first FIT units off the Mexico assembly line did fail the Insurance Company Offset Crash (IIHS) Test. But that was a design issue. Honda already shipped many to the dealers when this happened. But they stopped the production line when the FIT failed, changed the front end, and passed the Offset Crash Test after the retrofit. So the first couple or so months of production out there on dealer lots may not have the retrofit? Honda said that they fixed all cars still at the factory not yet shipped. SO if you are shopping for one, check the production date with the dealer to see if that is one that has the front end that passed the IIHS and if not, see if the dealer can replace the front end for you before you buy the car new.