Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good, Cheap Beater Cars & Inexpensive Commuter Cars - how to find one?

1121314151618»

Comments

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,003
    edited October 2010
    The private party seller is my favorite place to buy beaters. If you're careful you can find a basically sound vehicle that has acquired too many cosmetic and minor mechanical defects for the owner to put up with any more. Most of them can be fixed cheap or ignored (who needs AC on a winter beater).

Last year I picked up a 1988 GMC van from a neighbor for 900 bucks. It's not pretty but it has only has 120K miles and an engine with only 25K on it. I use it to haul stuff on the farm. The tomatoes don't care how it looks.

Another place to find beaters is you local indie garage. Some times these places buy a few cars at auctions or from customers, fix them up and sell them as a sideline. I recently picked up a 1993 Caddy Deville with 80K miles at my local garage. Only paid $1200. I'm hoping to get at least 40K miles out of each of them before they start costing me too much.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,003
    edited November 2010
    I have to hand it you, spamming this board takes a lot of guts but spamming this board by replying to a HOST is nothing short of insane.

Please post again as your first post will be removed soon. :cry:

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van