Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Was there a redesign from Hyundai Elantra 2012 and 2013?

whatfuturewhatfuture Member Posts: 46
edited February 2014 in Hyundai

I'm really curious. The number of problems is big for 2013. The MPG was and old issue, and I'm not looking at that.

What design changed (if any) between the 2012 and 2013 Elantras? I'm attempting to understand the number of issues reported. It could be that more people are buying them due to the massive advertising but that's a guess and their ads have been going on for years.

What will, for example, have people reporting on what sounds like a misalignment but is not. Leather seats are reported as flimsy - are they new? The electronic package could be the culprit but I think even this was around in 2012. Tires still are bad.

Thanks for helping figure this out.

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2014

"The current Hyundai Elantra represents the fifth generation, which was introduced for the 2011 model year. There have been no major changes since."
    (Hyundai Elantra Review)

What report(s) are you referring to? JD Power? Consumer Reports? Forum posts?

• whatfuturewhatfuture Member Posts: 46

Thanks, Stever. I can't refer to Consumer Reports. In Sept. 2013, the last car they reviewed was the 2012 (I have it in front of me).

I've looked at the number of consumer complaints in many places (Edmunds, and other sites).

Before I purchased the car in Jan. '14, I ignored some "isolated" complaints like the car pulling to a side and thought the vehicle needs alignment. But, it's not isolated and has nothing to do with poor alignment as it is a repeating theme written by seemingly different people. Brakes wearing out quickly seems to be another theme and I know the tires are bad. There's something to say for the forums. The dealership told me to ignore what was written :) .

So, the answer is (besides CR), it's a combination of all that you've mentioned. I do ignore Motor Trend and Car and Driver out of habit. They used to be (may still be) advertised mags where ratings and "Car of the Year," were paid for by the car advertisers.

Thanks, Stever.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

JD Power ranks Hyundai overall as "average".

The only knock about forum posts is that people who are happy with their rides don't post to say that; it's mostly the ones who have issues who post to get some suggestions or vent. When you follow a car on the forums though, recurring issues do have a way of rising to the top.

• whatfuturewhatfuture Member Posts: 46

Ah, okay. I look for patterns but limit myself to the last couple of years. CR reported the 2012 as recommended and did say they will get 27 MPG.

With 1200 miles on my car, it's a wait and see game. I have reported some real issues that cannot be fixed or it may create a worse situation. It's a little scary but I am taking care of the car and will, of course, continue to do that. I think it's time I burned my links to the forums for a while. Oy vey. I'm done until something else happens.

Thank, Stever.