Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Toyota PreRunner

truckdrivinmantruckdrivinman Posts: 5
edited March 9 in Toyota
Does anyone have any news (availability, price$,
etc.) on the '98 Toyota PreRunner? It seems to be
available for viewing on the "net only!!

Comments

• SSNCHOPSSNCHOP Posts: 2
    Just bought one on Saturday (6/20/98). They started showing up at the dealerships in Northern Virginia in April. Mine is a fully loaded TRO V6 version that I paid $19,231 for.
  • tgralltgrall Posts: 3
    I got mine in April. A great idea, for those
    who can live without a 4x4 the 2 times a
    year when it's desirable. No problems with
    my truck so far, paid $17,100 with alloys and
    265s, conv. package, bedliner and a couple of
    other options. Oh yeah, I'm in MD.
  • RoclesRocles Posts: 985
    What the hell is a "prerunner"? Please inform me.
  • BrutusBrutus Posts: 1,113
    I believe it is a two wheel drive Tacoma, but still sits up high like the 4wd model. I think it has the bigger, meatier tires, like you might get on a 4wd off-road package. It might have a few other sporty items, but from what I can tell, it's a 2wd Tacoma that looks like a 4wd.
    The name comes from vehicles used to pre-run an
    offroad course before a race. It is the same
    as the Tacoma 4x4, minus the front-drive axle
    and transfer case. It also comes standard with A/C and automatic. V6 is an option.
  • RoclesRocles Posts: 985
    oh. Thanks for the info. I thought it was a new model.-ROC
  • yxryxr Posts: 2
    I'm considering on buying one. Any updates from current owners on gas mileage - I'm planning to use it as commuter vehicle.
    Plus regarding earlier post from SSNCHOP - what TRO stands for ? Is it TRD - Toyota Racing Development package ? Does Toyota offers it for PreRunners ? Thanks for sharing in advence.
  • tsinclaitsinclai Posts: 4
    check out

http://www.toyota.com/tacoma/prerunner/

for more details (click the charts link on this page to get all the options)

sorry no prices here
  • jholcjholc Posts: 25
    I heard that the Pre-runner was going to be offered in TRD trim which I believe includes a locking rear differential. I also heard that the dealer would even offer the Supercharger package with it although that might be a rumor.
  • paulp575paulp575 Posts: 12
    I just ordered a PreRunner brochure from Toyota's 800 number (800)-GO-TOYOTA. They told me I should receive it within 5 to 7 days.

While I can't comment about a Supercharger Package, from what I remember, a locking rear differential will be available only with the 6 cylinder.
  • smithmansmithman Posts: 1
    To SSNCHOP,
    What options did you get on your prerunner (convenience pkg, power pkg, etc)? Also, what is the name and city/state of the dealer from which you purchased your truck? Trying to find a prerunner in New England is like a blind squirrel trying to find an acorn.

I drove the 4 and 6 cyl prerunners on a trip to the southwest in April. Seemed like a fine truck, especially the 6 cyl model. What are your thoughts after owning one for a few weeks? Do you think it would tow a 2500 pound trailer okay? Thanks for your help.
  • GwinGwin Posts: 2
    I am torn between the Dodge Dakota 2WD V6 and the Toyota Prerunner 4cyl. I prefer the Dodge because of its larger size but I am skeptical about the transmission. I am curious about any mechanical problems with the prerunners.
  • SSNCHOP--
    Prerunners have finally arrived at a dealership near Baltimore. Both are 2.7l fours w/ the TRD pkg. Close to $19.5K for either. Your truck is about what I'm after. I could probably get by w/ the 2.7l for towing a 19 foot center console. How much did you pay before taxes for yours? Is the hp and torque in the V6 worth the cash? Can I haggle for this truck?
    Finally? I picked mine up 5/1 at a MD
    dealership. I ended up paying $900 under
    invoice.
  • BansheeBanshee Posts: 1
    I picked up my PreRunner V-6 July 4th. it's great although very hard to find at my local dealers,
  • tgrall-
    I'll clarify the "finally arrived at" dealership locations specifically as Koons in Westminster and Antwerpen in Columbia. Two just arrived in Westm., none in Columbia as of yesterday. Any HELP you can offer would be appreciated!
  • gbp1gbp1 Posts: 2
    How does a locking rear differential work? Is it worth getting?
  • BrutusBrutus Posts: 1,113
    Truckworld Magazine has named the Prerunner as their 1998 2wd Truck of the Year. www.truckworld.com
  • Any idea of if or when the PreRunner will be available in Canada anyone? I was planning on buying a Nissan Frontier XE King Cab 2WD but might wait for the PreRunner if I don't have to wait too long.

The reason I went to the Nissan in the first place was that the plain Tacoma 2wd sits too low to the ground. To me, it doesn't look like a real truck. Then again, I guess the same could be said of the Frontier right?
  • Thinking of replacing my 91 with a 99 prerunner. I have been talking to a dealer about ordering one because that's the only way I can get what I want which is almost everything. I want the sport seats of the "limited design" and power mirrors which are also from the 99 limited. I can have both at a price. I have only been able to drive the TRD version. I hope the ride will be softer without this package.

It would be a extracab V6, ABS, sport buckets, power mirrors, value pkg, all weather pkg, diff. lock, power pkg, moon roof, air and 265/75R15's on alloy rims.

Really want the height or I would stay with the 2X4. The seats in my 91 are similar but better than the Limited seats because they also have an adjustable lumbar support. And I find I use the power mirrors alot. Would be used primarily as a commute vehicle. Appreciate any comments.
This discussion has been closed.