Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Wagons (C240 & C320)

Here is the new place to discuss the Mercedes-Benz C320 Wagon.

Thanks for your participation.

Pocahontas

Host

Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards

Comments

• pocahontaspocahontas Posts: 802
    Edmunds' auto show coverage: 2002 Mercedes-Benz C320 Wagon. What do you think?

Happy Motoring!

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards

• mersonmerson Posts: 7
    Hello

I am looking for the exterior/interior dimensions of this car. Does anyone know this information?

I have found more pictures at the following links

1. http://www.mercedes-benz.com/e/cars/c-class-t/default.htm - This link has information about the new c-class wagon but the dimensions are listed with a background picture of the c-class wagon that is not being sold here in the US.

2. http://www.mbenz.com/future/c320w-02.html

3. http://mbspy.bacosys.be/s203.htm - This site has not been working for the last couple of days. Maybe it will come back.

• drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382

Don't miss the weekly MB Tuesdays chat at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10pm Eastern! All MB fans/enthusists/owners/potential owners are welcome to participate. Hope to see you there!

Click on the link below to enter the chat at the times above. Note that the link to the chat is always near the top of this page, just under the discussion topic title:

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/mercedeschat.html

• c320 wagon .. length 178.8, wheelbase 106.9, width 68.0, height 57.7, track f/r 58.8/57.6,
    curb wgt 3560, drag 0.32, trunk 16.6 up/48.9 down, fuel tank 16.4/2.1 reserve, 0-60 7.8 sec,
    top spd 150mph, fuel mileage 21, price 38.000. this info is from mbca club magazine.

same engine as the one in the e320 wagon... mean that the c should be a hoot to drive. it also said the hatch is sweeped back so much that a rear wiper is not even needed.
    No, there's still a rear wiper :-) The 4-matic (AWD) version will be released in late fall of 2002, as a MY2003 model.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    The C-Class wagon cargo area seems a bit small 16.6 cubic feet compared to the BMW 3 Series Wagon 26 cubic feet and the Volvo V40 33 cubic feet.

The C-Class wagon is longer than the others. I wonder if there is more legroom in the C-Class. Maybe that is where the extra space is.

Just a reminder that the MB chat is on tonight (6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/mercedeschat.html

Is anyone seriously considering buying this car or is it too small and too expensive?
  • bob259bob259 Posts: 280
    merson, to answer yor questions, Yes, no, probably. I think it''s the right size but a little pricey for this size vehicle.
  • A dealer in my area has two (2) new wagons as of today. Base price is $38,450 w/o destination.

Here is a link for the 02 ordering guide for the C class for those that want option pricing:

http://content.communities.msn.com/CLKOwnersDiscussion/PhotoAlbums?Page=5

• fredtwdfredtwd Posts: 25
    I finally got to siit in one at the dealership. When I folded down the rear seats, I could no longer put the drivers seat back far enough to fit into the car (I'm 6' 4").

So it looks like a C320 wagon is a no go for me :-(

Robert
    The '01 C-class wagon wins the '01 Eyes on Design award:

http://www.cardesignnews.com/events/detroit2001/eyesondesign/awards04.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • I happen to notice what looked like the C320 wagon sitting in our local MB dealers showroom as I drove by the other day. I finally stopped in to take a look on my way home from work, and sure enough it a silver C320 wagon! (they also had several of the coupes on the floor as well).

IMHO,I certainly like the lines of the car. Its a beautiful piece of machinery that probably will remain unique among the endless sea of SUV on the road these days. The back is sloped quite a bit, but this helps to give it a sleek look and avoid the typical SW look. The down side, however, is that this compromises the cargo space. I thought the fit and finish of the car was excellent. The interior material also seemed "MB" grade and felt great. I didn't take it out for a drive (it was rush hour). But, as I was sitting behind the wheel, and having noticed the $43K sticker price for, I thought about the other competitors in this market. Both the BMW and Audi offer wagons (325 and A4/S4) for much less than the C320. Yes the MB seems exudes luxury, but the interior of the A4 (IMHO) is just as nice. Want sporty...an S4 similarly equipped is less than the C320 by a few grand.

So..is it worth it? That's up to you to decide. For me, probably not because of the other alternatives. But its certainly a nice addition to the luxury SW market.

George
  • George, I think if you option out the BMW 3-series wagon (or even the Audi wagons) in a similar fashion to the MB 320 wagon, you will find that the MB is actually pretty price competitive.

All of the German car companies seem to try to keep their base prices down and then "nickel and dime" you to death with options that are--to a large extent--almost mandatory in this price range etc.

Cheers,
    Mitch
  • but if you look at the "basic essentials" (leather, sunroof, heated seats, xenon), the MB runs about $5K more (MSRP) compared to the others. The A4 is somewhat of an "unfair" comparo since the current model is in its last year, so one is bound to get more of a discount compared the the other two.

You are right though about nickel and diming one to death with the "options". The problem is that MB does that too but the base price starts at ~39 K!
    Realistically though, most people who shop in this price range will most likely be swayed by some other factor other than the price of one vs the other ..ie handling, name/image, etc. Just my $ 0.02

George
  • I was told that they were not going to add a 4Maitc version the c for several years.
  • jjmcgjjmcg Posts: 2
    The cost aside, if the c-class wagon arrives with 4-matic and the sports package (in Canada anyway), then it becomes a prettyl desirable automobile.
  • I own a 99 Passat, 2001 Dodge GC and 99 Bravada.
    Living in NY, I swore I would never own another
    RWD car again (except for my 1960 Chrysler New Yorker, which does not go out in the winter).

The C320 wagon is a really sharp car, and I am considering it for when my Bravada lease is up in March. I need some advice from those of you who might have experience with Mercedes ESC and TC in the snow ... will I go?

Mercedes salesman says he will put the C320 up against any fwd car in the world (what would you expect him to say?) He promised to let me test drive one on the next snowy day we have. Still, I would love to get some real-life advice from any of you familiar with these systems. Thanks.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,435
    Buy 4 snow tires on seperate rims for winter. Then you will go up against any 4wd car in the world (and blow them away in braking). You will save your nice alloys from road salt, and your summer tires will last longer. Win-win situation. You can't beat it for $4-600 depending on size.
  • barresa62barresa62 Posts: 1,379
    But to be fair re: your "and low them away in braking" comment, wouldn't the AWD vehicle have snow tires too? I seriously doubt the C320 w/snows could match the braking performance of my WRX wagon w/snows! You a funny man! :-)

Stephen
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,435
    Of course if the AWD car had snow tires it would be better overall in the snow than the benz. AWD cars do not come with snows, and most people do not put them on because the car goes (but not necessarily stops) very well without them. I hope you are one of the smart ones that does use snows if you life in a climate that requires them.

The WRX would have no advantage in braking on snow or ice over the Mercedes or any other car that had the same tires - in fact it might do worse since its tires are relatively wide, which is generally not as good as a narrow tire in the snow. The limiting factor for braking on low friction surfaces is tire grip not the brakes - or engine braking.

I don't quite understand your last sentance - a verb might help. ;^)
  • barresa62barresa62 Posts: 1,379
    But thanks for the grammetical correction. Most of the informed AWD owners who drive their vehicles in snow conditions put winter tires on their vehicles. My point was that winter tires benefit both RWD and AWD vehicles and too be fair, you need to compare both as such.
    Hope this clears it up for you. :-)

Stephen
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Check out the Edmund's Spin Around Town: 2002 Mercedes-Benz C320 Sport Wagon, by Liz Kim. What do you think?

Thanks for your comments!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
  • paul_ppaul_p Posts: 271
    Nice Picture! I'm more of a follower of the E-class wagon, but the C-class wagon is also a beautiful machine. I certainly would not turn it down if someone offered to give me one! :-)

- Paul_P
    A reporter is trying to find consumers who've traded up from mass-market brands (e.g. Toyota, Chevy, Ford, etc.) to luxury nameplates. He says, "I'm not looking for lottery winners, just regular folks who wanted more car."

If you have a story to share, please send it to Edmunds' PR director: jfallon@edmunds.com. It is helpful for you to include your e-mail, phone number and city/state of residence when you respond. Deadline for submission on this one is March 6. Thanks for your participation.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • why don't they offer the wagon with the base 2.6L engine (ie they only offer it with the 3.2L). That 3.2 engine adds thousands of dollars to the price of the car (wagon) and pushes it out of my range.
  • Anyone know the internal dimensions of the cargo area? I need the cargo area to fit a dog travel crate that measures 26" W X 28.5" H X 38" L. This was an absolute no-go in the Audi A4 wagon, and a very tight squeeze in the A6 wagon. It fits in the Passat wagon but I am not 100% comfortable with VW reliability. TIA.
  • evgenyevgeny Posts: 7
    There is certainly not much activity around here...Anyway I got my MB C-320 two days ago and still keep walking around, trying to figure out what to do with it... It comes with a 400 pages manual. I paid 36,300 with C2 package, silver metallic color... I think it's a good deal. Looks gorgeous and drives like a dream. Let's see how it holds up!
    and thanks for sharing the details. Sounds really nice, btw. We look forward to hearing more.... Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards