Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,006
    I don't know what's going on with the switch, but usually you can take a screwdriver to the latch and force it back to the normal position so that you can close the hatch. Maybe this post will help:

kyfdx, "BMW X3" #2211, 23 Oct 2005 5:51 pm

btw, ALL CAPS is hard to read and lots of people just skip over those posts.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Sorry about the CAPS lock.... Before I posted this message I had already tried the handle/screwdriver thing with no success either. I'm getting frustrated with this Jeep all together. I'm not sure if the door handle on the rear hatch is working at all since I've had problems getting it to open. I hate to take it into a mechanic and get raped over something so simple...but I don't know what else to do. :confuse:
  • Ok, after writing this post I went back outside and tried the same method I've had to use to open the rear hatch with the help of my daughter continuous pushing of the lock and unlock while I pulled down with the screwdriver and it worked!!!

I guess all I needed to do was write a post to get the creative juices flowing and I was able to solve the problem I created.

Thanks for your imput. :D
  • It sounds like your transmission is going out. If your MPH are at 60 and your RPM's drop and then increase with a boost to 80 MPR it sounds like your transmission needs work. My 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD is having the same issues right now with 158k miles on it. So I've been driving my husbands 2000 Camaro SS around while he's deployed.
  • I have a 95 JGC with 259,000 miles. I must have got a good one compared to some of the stories I've read. It's been out of commission for about 2 years because of transmission. I dropped it myself and had a friend at work rebuild it, total cost $650.00 for parts and his labor. After re-installing it and doing a oil change, it fired right up and has been driving great. My wife drove it and the speedometer quit working. Has anyone ever had a problem with the speedometer, could it be a sensor? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • 2002 G.C. L 4.0 with select tract. After coming to a stop. When I release the brake there is a shudder or bang like something is sticking. Dealer put in new drive shaft about 15,000 mi. and problem came back after about 10,00 more miles and can not get him to discuss the problem again. any one seen this before??
  • image1997 Grand Cherokee:
    My blower motor will not cut off unless i remove the maxi fuse. I replaced the "resistor" but did not correct the problem.
    when i replaced the resistor the it was extremely hot to the touch?
  • My blower motor will not cut off unless i remove the maxi fuse. I replaced the "resistor" but did not correct the problem.
    when i replaced the resistor the it was extremely hot to the touch?
  • I have a problem with my JGC and have no idea what it could be. Driving down the street and heard a loud pop like something hit the underside of the car. A minute later, a little dust of smoke and antifreeze everywhere along with broken pieces of hard plastic. The Radiator??? How could this have happened, what is sthe problem? Any suggestions are appreicated. THANKS!
  • I need to know a couple of things about this Jeep. 1) Where did they hide the fuses? My Haynes manual says they are under the kick panel on the right side but they are not there. 2)The front wipers do not work on the intermittent setting. I am guessing that the problem is the intermittent wiper module but I have no idea where that is. Any help? Please?
  • jenwjenw Posts: 3
    I have a 1998 JGC Laredo 5.2L V8 all time 4x4. It has 125K on it and still runs great. I started only driving it periodically after gas prices became stupid. With the inactivity I started seeing drops of transmission fluid under it. The leaking started getting worse as time went on. I see where it is leaking on the back of the tranny, I think it is a worn out gasket. I also see fluid dripping off the tranny pan but for the life of me I can't see where it is coming from. My question is...how hard is it to replace the gasket on the back of the tranny and on the pan? Will I have to drop the entire tranny? How long would it take a non experienced person to do it? I've never worked on the tranny before so I'm a little apprehensive about it. I replaced the water pump awhile back on my own as my brother said "it isn't that difficult". I will never take his word for working on any vehicle again.......Took me 4 days to replace it and to get it to stop leaking fluid after the install.
  • Didnt see any other post with this problem so here goes. It is an intermittent problem so its hard to fix. While driving at normal speeds the tranny acts like its going in and out of lock-up. You can watch the tach and it will jump up 200-500 and then back to normal. This will continue until you speed up and the vehicle downshifts or hit the overdrive button. Seems like it does it worse while cold but also does it hot. I can drive sometimes a week and no problem and then do it everyday for a week. Any suggestions.
  • I don't know if this will help you or not but I had a similar problem after taking my 2001 JGC in for repairs. Everything worked fine when I dropped it off then the mechanic called and asked if I had any problems in the past with my power windows to which I replied no. Anyways to make a long story short I found that the problem was caused by the hood lamp being disconnected. Not only did my power windows stop working but also the interior lights, temperature reading on the overhead, miles till empty, trip counter automatic headlamps, seat memory etc. One plug caused all of those problems. I would also check fuse number 7 which is a 10 amp fuse that is tied to all of these options. The mechanic spent over 8 hours (which he did not charge me for) to look for the problem. When I told him what I had found he said they unplugged it to keep the battery from dieing while they worked on the engine.
  • I have a 1990 jeep cherokee that will completly die when I come to a complete stop at a light. When it dies I can then just start it right back up in neutral. I'm thinking that it might have something to do with the idle because if I do stop and it does not die the car will tend to shake somewhat. Anyone have an idea? Thanks.
  • jenwjenw Posts: 3
    My husband decided to be lazy and drive my Jeep today. He was too lazy to put gas in his car so he took the only vehicle that doesn't have full coverage on it. Of course, he wasn't paying attention and had a "little" accident. I'm looking at bare minumum replacement of my drivers side front panel, hood, bumper, headlight assembly, turn signal, etc. Anyone have a good place to by these types of parts to be installed privately?
  • Honugirl asks if anybody has experienced the problem of a Grand Cherokee stalling out shortly after starting (same problem I'm now experiencing). Your reply about "death wobble" doesn't seem to make sense here? What about stalling out right after starting?
  • blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
    Ebay.com has all of the parts you're searching for.
  • Your lockup siloniod has gone bad. It is located inside the tranny under pan. "GET IT FIXED" befor long the trans wont shift at all, and it will burn fast '
  • i currently have the same problem with the quadratrac 2 transfer case, on my 02 grand cherokee, i have already replaced the drivers wheel bearing and axle, at seperate times, due to this problem, i think it should be a dealer problem. i would now never suggest anyone ever buy a jeep from now on. i work on newer vehicles everyday and never knew of the problems with a jeep until i owned one. i thought they were good. too bad, please help with any solutions to my problem. of course this is not the only problem with the truck. the motor ticks at idle too, imagine that. any answers?
  • I have a 1988 Jeep Cherokee that does that too! Seems the idle is not high enough. I have been told that the idle adjusts automatically, can't set it like other cars.I know I need an accelerator/throttle cable, and hope when that is replaced it will fix the problem. Have you checked yours? I should know more early next week. I believe mine has to be in park to start back up, does not work in neutral, but not for sure. Another thing that's happening is sometimes it doesn't get fire to start........can't get it to happen when it's at the garage, so they can check it then! AWK!