Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
    In order to lock into 4-Lo, you'll need to have the Jeep in Neutral. It will have to be in neutral to take it out of 4-Lo also. You should see the light indicating 4-Lo is engaged.

P.S.- Remember, 4-Lo is for slippery roads or dirt trails and rocks. You should not EVER try to lock it in on dry pavement. $eriou$ consequences will occur.
  • You need to change your V.S.S. (vehicle speed sensor) located on the transfer case(4x4), or the transmission(2x4). Only the sensor needs to be changed, so do not take the v.s.s housing off, for this will cause you many more headaches than you will want to ever have.

I hope this helps you, and good luck m8.
  • thanks 4 the help where would this light be? i hav the 97 limited adition. does the 4x4low symbol come on next to the shifter?
  • red75red75 Posts: 3
    Here's an easy one for you guys. I need to change the thermostat in my 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport. I'm a "somewhat" mechanically inclined gal and I want to do it myself to save a few bucks. I've heard it's easy to do, but can you guys give me some pointers? And exactly where is it? I know it's right in front somewhere :)
  • I have a 1995 Wrangler that won't start until the auto start relay is done clicking and the it tells the fuel pump relay to close. IT only will start after on-off-on-off-on then wait for the relay to get done clicking and then the fuel pump pressure goes to 40psi. HELP no one can tell me what is wrong. I am afraid to go where jeeps should go because it has refused to start twice.

Gustavecat of the UP Yoopers
  • blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
    Yep, it comes on the VIC screen, which lets you know your're locked in. Happy 4-wheelin.:)
  • My car alarm went off the other morning (5am) for no reason 3 times. I finally locked the doors w/out activating the alarm. On my way to work the dome lights flashed on and off and my door locks continually locked and unlocked. This has been going on the last 3 days. I have read all the postings that are similiar to my situation, but have not seen a solution. I replaced the battery about 2 1/2 months ago, so I don't think it needs a new one. Everything else seems to be working fine, ie. radio,windows etc. I'll add it is a stock alarm which only activates when I manually lock from the driver side,stock radio etc..I've never changed anything. I hope someone has any answers for me. :sick: Thanks in advance for any input
  • xscoutxscout Posts: 141
    The thermostat is located under the housing where the upper radiator hose connects to the engine. This is one of the easier repair jobs but you may still want to purchase a manual (about $12 at an auto parts store) which will give you a step by step breakdown of the job. You will want to have a gasket scraper and make sure the new thermostat comes with a new gasket. You have to drain a little bit out of the cooling system, but since the thermostat is high on the engine you don't have to empty the system. Good Luck! :D
  • :sick: My ’97 JGC has 115K miles and seems to have the flu. It starts right up and runs fine for about 3 miles before it seems to be suffocating. The tach drops to 0 then a few moments later shots back up to about 1100 at 40-45 MPH. Runs okay for a bit, then stalls before regaining power again. Not sure if it’s related, but the gas gage reads okay then all of a sudden it drops to empty and dings. It does this off and on throughout a tank of gas. Check engine light comes on and stays on also.
  • Two weeks ago the rear end was rebuilt in my "03 GC. Now the service department is telling me I need an upper ball joint and both shocks to get rid of the "clunking" noise the vehicle has made since the rear end repairs. It only makes the noise when you hit a rough spot or go over a bump. I have approximately 50,600 of straight up raod driving on my Jeep. Am I being skeptical or is this just bad timing on the repairs? Shouldn't the tech have heard this noise after original repairs were made?
  • :sick:

My engine light recently came on. With the snow, I turned off O/D to slow down faster on slippery roads. Is there any reported issues with the 04 SEs and the O/D feature? Am I safe to continue to drive the vehicle until I take it in on Monday?

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.
    For what it is worth, my '97 JGC also occasionally does the gas gauge empty and ding thing on and off. In my case it almost always is when I have a full tank but I do not get an engine light and the engine always continues to run fine.
    If you are getting an engine light, take it to your local auto parts store. Most these days will run a diagnostic test on it for free telling you what parts are acting up. More than likely you have one or more sensors giving bad info. to the engine computer.
  • jeeps2jeeps2 Posts: 45
    I believe you may have a display box located at the center bottom of your dash, in front of your shifter. It should have a picture of your jeep drive train indicating what mode the vehicle is in.Flat screen near lighter plug?
  • jeeps2jeeps2 Posts: 45
    Just wondering if it is better to attempt changing my transfer case gastket and pan gasket to my trans or take it to the shop. Neither look to hard to do, BUT , the transfer case scares me alittle since I'v never done one.Any thoughts?Any tips on doing this job? Thanks in advance.This would be on my 96jeep grand cherokee. Just started leaking from both gaskets. Been a great vehicle. 88000 and still running strong. Like it so much, bought a 2004 limited new. 14000 on it and everything is great.
  • I have a 98 GCLTD - Selectrac, it has been nothing but problems, and I love it so much. When you go to change out of 4WD, it bunnyhopps, and clunks and sounds like the whole thing is going to fall apart (of course every man who has ever gotten into it has to change it). I've been driving in 4WD for a year now, which is fine, but.....last year, someone put two different sized tires on the front, and just after there was a terrible clunking in the front passenger side. It continues to clunk, and now its started a squeeking sound (I roll up the windows not to hear it). Finally, the drivers door doesn't close properly, and my locks click continually, and now I've been told the catalytic converter is broken off inside (Of course my e-test is scheduled already). WHAT'S GOING ON WITH IT? I've replaced the ball joint, rad, had the transfer case fluid checked, and of course, changed the tires. I'm scared to take it in, afraid I'm going to have to re-mortgage my house to fix it? Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.........
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,661
    Have you considered calling the QE2 cruise ship to find out of they are one anchor short???... ;) :shades: ;)
  • Been a lurker up to now and find this site very helpful. My thanks to all with answers. I have a '96 GCLtd with ~160,000 miles. Had my share of differential problems but Chrysler has been good and I continue to love her dearly.

I'm looking at replacing tires (already checked Edmund's prior threads) and will be opting for Michelin 10-ply truck tire (did this previously and they last forever). Since they are pricey, I'm wondering whether I need to do all 4 tires at the same time. One tire (same Michelin 10-ply) was replaced about 20,000 miles ago and the tread still looks perfect. btw, these tires seem to go for 100,000+ miles on my Jeep.

Can I get away with just replacing 3 or should I go with all 4? Lately the rig has been limited to city driving, but I'm looking to use her for highway cruising to the ski hills in the next couple of years.

Money isn't a killer issue but one always wants to save a buck if possible, particularly as the 4th tire still looks great.
  • Same year, Exact same problem.I had the speed sensor in the tranny replaced but didnt do any good.I'ts a real pain cause it never does it when I get to the shop.Did it last week so bad I thought the tranny was gonna shell out.Please keep me informed if you find the answer to this.Thanks
  • If I were you, I would buy 4 new tires and keep the one you talk about for a spare. This way you have a good spare that matches and don't have to worry about un-even wear on your new ones :)

Good Luck!

BTW, I have just purchased some BFG All Terrain Tires for my '98 Cherokee Sport and they're just amazing in the snow or on the trails and suprisingly quiet on the highway.