Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I have an 05 JGC with a 4.7L V8. The vehicle has a bad vibration while towing and going over 55MPH. I am only towing about 2000 pounds so I don't believe weight should be the issue. I have a suspicion that it may be due to the AWD system but would like to hear from others. :mad:
  • I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L with 54,000 miles. I'm having a problem with my Jeep's Idle. It has a very rough idle when in gear, but when in neutral or park it is smooth. I had a tune-up and fuel system cleaning about 8,000 miles ago and that never helped with the problem. About 1,000 miles ago, I had it at a dealership for them to fix my door locks under warranty and asked them about the idle problem. They said that they just idle rough. I'm not buying that because I know it did not idle like that new. I'm open to suggestions. Would a new fuel filter help? I have a Factory Service Manual (1000+ page). If anyone can help, please let me know. Thanks
  • I'm helping my mom get rid of her '95 Grand Cherokee and the stereo isn't working. It is the original Infinity Gold sound system and we're trying to find a replacement. My question is whether it will have to be another Infinity system with the 5-band EQ or will just any Jeep CD stereo from the same year/body style work?

Thanks for any input!
  • c_chigc_chig Posts: 1
    While traveling home from visiting family during the holidays my grand cherokee broke down. The car starting sputtering and cut off. The vechile would crank up right after but as soon as I gave it gas it sputtered and cut off. I had it towed to a auto service center that was just right down the road. When it got to the auto service center it would not crank. The code the computer gave them said the coil was bad. They replaced the coil and it would crank, but as soon as you gave it gas it would still sputter. They then thought it was the cam or crank sensor and neither one of those worked either. They tested they fuel pressure and it is pumping at a good pressure. It also has plenty of gas. They are now thinking it has something to do with the PCM. Does anyone have a clue what this might be.
  • mcgmacmcgmac Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V6. Drove it yesterday and last night and this afternoon on separate occasions with no problem then this evening it just started to stall while at idle. On the third or fourth stall, a yellow engine light came on in the shape of an engine block or transmission – the book says it is the engine & emissions light and I should service it…etc. The stall would occur during idle and when I was slowing at stoplight/sign. In addition, I was on the freeway with a few sputters and then, when accelerating, the car lurched and then sputtered big time. I checked all the fluids and everything looks good. I’m in Northern California which is getting a huge amount of rain over the last 5days, but otherwise have not had a problem with this car since buying it 48,000miles ago. Would really appreciate any ideas – I’ll likely have to take it to the dealer and the nearest one I don’t particularly like. Thanks for any help and happy new year!
  • A brake light is burnt out on my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I have a new bulb, but I don't see an easy way of getting to the brake light socket. Can anyone help me on this?
  • Hello. Had to replace driver's side not long ago. Open rear door. There are two screws that secure the side of the light unit. However that's the easy part. I used a strong flashlight to peer into the vent that is part of the light fixture. What I found is the light is secured further by a ball fitted into a socket like device. The trick here is to shoot a little WD40 onto the ball fitting. Then as best you can grab the light fixture as evenly as possable and pull in a twisting fashion. Take care not to pull to far away from the jeep as the wiring harness my become streched. You can then access the light bulb.
  • Great help cdplayer! It worked just as you said, except I must have pulled too hard and the ball came out of the socket. It snapped right back in, tho, so no problem. I had seen the two screws, but knew they wouldn't make it that easy. Really needed your help. Thanks again.
  • trickstertrickster Posts: 113
    Sounds like you have a vacuum leak. Check to make sure that the throttle body bolts are tight, and that all your emission hoses are in good condition. Have your mechanic use a stethoscope or a piece of hose to listen for leaks as the vehicle is running.Also check to see if your CCV,(replaces the PVC on newer vehicles these days)is not plugged, or the hose to it is not plugged. Don't forget to check your spark plugs to see if they are worn or incorrectly gapped. One last thing, did the mechanic reset the trouble code with an OBD2(scan tool)? P.S unhooking the battery for awhile does nothing for Jeep products, they must be reset with an OBD2 tool.

I hope this helps you, and good luck m8.
    Check both of your driveshafts for worn u-joints. Mabey one of your tires weights to help them balance out is missing, or one tire may be starting to separate on the face.

• I have a 1997 Grand Cherokke LTD. automatic that sometimes will not shift into overdrive. I cann turn the vehicle off and restart and it will then shift into overdrive. Anyone have any ideas?
    Well changing the fuel filter would be a good thing, regardless if that is the problem or not; it's just good maintainance. I believe your rough idle is because you IAC(idle air control) is gummed up with varnish and gunk. The IAC is located on the throttle body, and if you take it off and clean it throughly, and where it goes back into the throttle body this will help your "rough idle" go away.
    When the IAC is gummed up it sticks, and gives the PCM a faulty reading resulting in rough idle. You may have to replace this sensor, but most times a good cleaning does the trick. Also check your air filter, and your spark plugs, as these will also give you rough idle.

I have the exact same year/make/model as your mom does. I think that if the stereo is from a jeep product relativly close to '95 then there should be no problems. I myself love the Infinity gold series stereo, but wanted to replace it with my Alpine. Sorry to say, i had nothing but problems with conflicts going on with my vehicle after that.I finally had my PCM flashed and rebooted with fresh programming, and reinstalled the original stereo, to get my Jeep back to where i began.
    Before you decide to take anything out of the vehicle, phone a jeep dealership about how to go about getting around the factory alarm system, so you can replace the stereo.

Just got an estimate from the dealer to fix the following - thought I'd share the information. Also wanted to share the dealer pricing and see if anyone else thought it was high.

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6
    - Replace Map Sensor ($375)
    - Replace Spark Plugs ($169)
    - Replace Serpentine Belt ($179)
    - Diagnosis ($140)
    I'll be honest, I've been very happy with this Jeep, but have never found the dealers to be the fair or best at maintenance or repair - fair meaning I felt like the service was worth the price and best meaning I have had not dealers perform more reliable service with better explanations and providing me with a complete breakdown an parts for replacement, etc. I expect I will take it to another Jeep repair shop and eat the diagnostic fee.

Interested if anyone has thoughts on this - please feel free to share.
    Thought you'd be interested in my post in case things change: #2441
  • jeeps2jeeps2 Posts: 45
    Trickster, I'm reading these horror stories about electrical problems after installing stereo's other then original equipment from jeep. I was just going to install a pioneer sound system in my 96 GC. Can this really present me with a problem, if I use the wiring kit that is pre wired with end plugs. The one that is made to plug into the radio harness on one end and into the radio on the other end? :confuse: I will wait for a response before jumping into this. Thanks in advance.
  • rmd1rmd1 Posts: 1
    Indicator light and warning signal keep saying that my left front tire is very low on pressure. It isnt. Had it checked at a gas station. Am not near a dealership. Does anyone know how to turn off this annoying warning? Thanks.
    My advice to you is that you talk to a dealership about this, and ask if there is any possible problems/conflicts that may arise. I myself did not have the correct wiring harness for my particular stereo and jeep. Also talk to the stereo dealer that sold you the stereo, and ask for any problems/conflicts that may arise.
    Just a thought: If the stereo dealer will give you a garantee of workmanship on installing the stereo,(so if anything goes wrong because of the installation)would this not be a wise choice of action, for just in case?
    You may have to pay a couple of hundred dollars for installation, but this may save you thousands of dollars in repairs. Always get a garantee in writing that is signed.
    On a more personal note: I would try to swap my stereo out again with the correct wiring harness, as I have good friends in the jeep industry that can help me solve my problems. However, I would do the research before i decide to commit the time/resources to the task at hand.

WOW! Where are they getting these parts from... the moon?!
    If you have a compentent friend/neighbour, friend of a friend..ect. then do the work yourself, and save yourself a bundle of money. here is my appraisal of the parts:

-map sensor:$100-$200 max.
    -spark plugs:$40-$60 max.
    -serpentine belt:$$20-$60 max.
    ---------------
    $320- maximum
    The diagnosis will have to be done by a dealership to reset the trouble codes on your jeep. If/when you decide/do get the work done take the vehicle straight to a dealership to have them reset the trouble codes, if you do not, chances are the map sensor will continue to run faulty because the PCM will still have the trouble code stored as a faulty sensor. This will certainally, in time, turn the map sensor faulty.

• jeeps2jeeps2 Posts: 45
    As always, Thanks so much for the advice. I will talk to the dealer before the installation, to be on the safe side.This Jeep has not cost me a dime, other then normal maintenance, brakes, tires, battery and belt. I'm happy to say that i've not had any of the problems that I read about on this forum. Thank GOD. Have a Blessed day, and again, a big Thank you.