Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• harsjeepharsjeep Posts: 5
    hi, i had recently purchased a 95 gcl and i am having the same problem, and the dealer has told me the same abt the viscous cup,. i was wondering if you ever had the problem solved and what was causing the problem. thanks much . :confuse:
  • joebob2joebob2 Posts: 2
    looking at a 1993 sporty to buy has 278k on the milage...seeking advice on whether motor will last much longer
  • kandel22kandel22 Posts: 2
    Hi. I just leased a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee last August 2005 and in November 2005 it stalled on me as I approached a light. I thought it was me and ignored it until it happened again a few weeks later. This time I was approaching a light as well. I had it towed to the dealer as they said it was "unsafe" to drive. There, they replaced the O2 sensor. Well, in December I noticed a "Service 4WD System" come on and called the dealer where they said if it happened again bring it in, it was probably just a computer "glich". Just last week, it stalled on me again while I was approaching a Stop sign. I brought the Jeep in to my dealer and they could not find anything wrong with it. Any help?
  • Give us some specifics to go on, like what motor is in it and is it two or four wheel drive. I'm assuming you're talking about a Jeep Cherokee Sport and not a Grand Cherokee. - dixiecrawler
  • kandel22kandel22 Posts: 2
    Sorry about that...Yes, it is a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Sport. 4WD, 8 Cy
  • joebob2joebob2 Posts: 2
    straight six 4wd 2dr cherokee sport 1993
  • wanda3wanda3 Posts: 2
    It turned out to be the cranksaft sensor had gone bad and that was causing mine to stall. It was replaced and has been running fine. I was not getting any codes to tell me it was not working properly and as soon as it was replaced, it started right up. As far as the miss goes, we looked under the hood at night and the "new" wires were sparking everywhere. Now its as good as new. Hope this helps.
  • Several times when my daughter has entered an intersection to turn, she has be unable to turn the steering wheel and there was no responce from the accelerator. The displays stay on and the dealer says that there is not a stall code in the computer. I am very concerned for her safety. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • nhwrenchnhwrench Posts: 1
    ball joints could be too tight from rust.try seperating tie rod and turn spindle from side to side,if one side turns much easier than the other,check your ball joints and front axle universal joints.if no problem found,check what the alignment specs were after the alignment.for a pull problem to the right,caster on the right front should be 1.0to 1.5 more positive than the left front,while camber and toe should be about the same on both sides.good luck.
  • bernr1bernr1 Posts: 8
    I have a 2000 grand cherokee. When I first bought the vehicle the dealership agreed to repair the brakes just after the warranty ended. I have replaced pads about once per year and last year replaced the rotors. In less than a year they started wobbling again. I have read many issues regarding this problem and I agree with everyone else. Jeep chooses to ignore that it is a problem. Also, I did get the same deal about my braking habits.

I love my Jeep, I love it's body style and performance. Though, with the new body style I can't see myself buying another one.

I have driven both Dodge Durango's, Mercury Mountaineer and Mitsubishi Endeavor within the last two years. I get out of them realizing just how bad the Jeeps brakes are. My stopping distance is more than double either of these three vehicles. Even with new pads/rotors the stopping distance on the Jeep was long. It only gets worse as I drive on them. I live in the mountains I have to go up and down hills. I try not to break and instead down shift to a lower gear this does not help. The breaks still go bad every year.
  • cblue2cblue2 Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - V8 automatic, 4x2. It currently has 5k miles. Here are the problems:

- Stalls from time to time when idling - usually pretty soon after it has started up, and when the engine is cold (when it has been sitting for a couple hours). This has happened probably 6 times since I have owned the vehicle and I bought it new.
    - The drivers’ side carpet gets really wet. There is no rhyme or reason for this one. The wetness is located just inside the door frame, but it gets better than half of the carpet wet. This issue has been apparent since I purchased the vehicle. This occurs in wet or dry weather, a/c is usually on all the time. I thought the carpet was dirty because someone got in with dirty feet and wet because it had been raining. Crazy me!

I took the vehicle to the dealership – Ferman, on Kennedy in Tampa, and they informed me that they could find nothing wrong with the vehicle. I currently have the vehicle at another dealership to see if they can solve the problem. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced these problems, and if so will you offer some guidance? Thanks.
  • traceyctraceyc Posts: 1
    I took my Grand Cherokee (2000) in for a tuneup and ever since I am getting about 11-12 mpg. Before the tuneup I was getting 16 or so. I have taken it back to two different places and both say the diagnostics are perfect and there's nothing wrong with it and have no suggestions for why the gas mileage is worse now. Has anybody else experienced this?
  • for your stalling problem you might want to check your fuel injector or have someone check it out. youd be better off to have a buddy that knows about cars. computers dont always catch the small stuff.

and with your wet carpet, running the a/c all the time might be your problem. when an a/c runs, it needs to evaporate the heat, hence causing water, i know in my 2000 my drain line was ran inside but it was on my passenger side. the thing to do is to take off your door sill, note sill not seal and then take off the other plastic piece that is along the side. dont worry they snap right off and right back on and there should be a hose. if its not there it should be on the passenger side. it maybe a cut in the drain line as well and its leaking to the drivers side. i believe the condensor is on the drivers side and the evaporator is on the passenger.
  • diagnostics, must be computers?? if you have any friends that know anything about cars, have them check out your spark plugs or your 02 sensors. there might be a leak in your air intake also. tighten all clamps down if you can by yourself.
  • andeaandea Posts: 2
    Good afternoon, i am a proud owner of a 2001 Jeep GCL and I seriously need new tires. The problem I have found is that because I am a , most sales people play me for dumb! I have even had one "gentleman" (for lack of a better word) tell me my rim size was a 16 and it is actually a 17-even I knew that. However, what I need help with is: I currently have 235/65/17's, but I am wanting a larger tire that will fill up more of the wheel well without putting any type of a lift and I am not sure what size I can go up to SAFELY!? Any suggestions at this point would be helpful.

Hopeless in Kansas! :confuse:
  • I just inherited a 1988 Grand Cherokee in great shape, but the steering wheel column is very loose. Can anyone give me some ideas on what to do about this? Thanks in advance!!
  • hornet2hornet2 Posts: 11
    I've posted on this site several times because of a steering problem that I can't get rid of. The advice and help I've received has been outstanding, and I thank all of you who have offered it.
    Today I noticed something on my Jeep that could be the culprit of all my troubles. How I missed it I'll never know, but I have a cross member,(at least that's what I think it's called) that is located under the tranny on the forward half of the car, that is bent. I've never noticed it before. I've got a 94 JGC that pulls slightly to the right. Could this be the cause of my problems? Please say yes! How it got bent is not known. No rough driving of any sort. I suppose it could be age, but...
    Any replies will be appreciated!
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,700
    Doesn't sound like your problem unless you also struck a steering arm or front suspension component.
  • jeeps2jeeps2 Posts: 45
    Andea, Good afternoon, I think you would be happy with a set of 255/70/17's. They will fill the wheel wells up nice. I have a set of BFGoodrich T/A on my jeep, and really like them. Good luck. :)
  • andeaandea Posts: 2
    Thanks so much for your help "jeeps2" I truly appreciate it! I will let you know how my shopping goes and what tires I end up with. Have a great day.... ;)