Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• ajs077ajs077 Posts: 3
    :confuse: Hi, My Jeep has done 150000kms and I have noticed after idling for some time and the engine is hot, as soon as I stab the accelerator it puffs out a cloud of blue smoke. I have a suspicion it is the rings however it doesn't blow smoke all the time. Has anyone noticed this on theirs.
  • nylawnylaw Posts: 2
    I have a THREE DAY OLD 2006 GC Laredo, vehicle details aren't important (I don't think)...

I noticed that the left partial signal, used for lane changing, doesn't work. The full turn signal works, and the right signal works BOTH for partial signaling and full turns, but the left partial doesnt work.
    :lemon: ????
    Add to that, I noticed that when I put the hazard flashers on, although the lights on the outside of the vehicle seem to flash in unison, the dashboard arrows appear to be off some. Related?

Can I fix this myself? Any chance of looking inside the shaft there to see if anything is loose or not contacting fully? THREE DAYS OLD! Come On Jeep! Any help, guidance, recommendations are greatly appreciated. (And, going to the dealer is already on my list of suggestions!) THANKS FOLKS!
  • It rained for the first time since we bought a 2006 Grand Cherokee Laredo 65th Anniversary Edition with Grey (Slate)Cloth Seats.
    When we got in, as always happens, the seats got a little wet. When they dried, they left some dark stains.
    This can't be normal!
    Anyone having the same problems or have any advice.
    Thanks in advance.
    Bill
  • bjonesvabjonesva Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Grand, light grey interior, and when it rains if the seats get wet, it will leave the dark stains also, but I find that if I vaccum the seats off the stains go away, must be the way the material is made. Have not seen this cause any permenant staining.
  • csizecsize Posts: 1
    Have you changed the sensor yet? I have the same problem on a 1997 cherokee and was about to buy one when I saw your post. Per instructions on testing this sensor, I checked the resistance between 2 of the contacts on the sensor side at the plug on the intake manifold and did not get infinity but instead some resistance was measured which indicates a bad sensor if my instructions are correct.
  • lukeboylukeboy Posts: 6
    I have a 2005 grand cherokee laredo with 15000 miles from day one I have noticed a acceleration problem and have brought it back to the dealer several times each time they do something but the problem still exists it just feels like the car is holding back if I punch it the car goes well but if I accelerate slowly the car hesitates it is driving me crazy it has the 3.7 liter engine I just wonder if the car is under powered does anyone else have the same problem please help i am fed up with this car ... lukeboy
  • homeyhomey Posts: 6
    If it's new it should have a warranty. But I was told that it may be the flasher relay
    try the map sensor, I had a van that did the same thing and that's what it was
    check the valve seals and get your rods replaced
  • taffy3taffy3 Posts: 26
    I have a '98 GCL and the blasted dog has chewed away at a rubber pipe about 1/8 inch inside diameter which is attached to the top of the front differential casing. Has anyone any idea where the other end goes and what is it for? It looks like some sort of sensor connection to me
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,919
    Differential vent tube?

Steve, Host
  • pberginpbergin Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 96 JGC, did you ever find out what to do to fix it?
  • ajs077ajs077 Posts: 3
    Thanks. Is this a common fault with this motor? How big a job is this? Does anyone know a good place to get aftermarket or mopar parts for the 4.7i V8 as I'm in Australia and the Jeep dealers really like charging for simple cheap parts. eg: Sump plug $24.00AUS.
  • bleachlbleachl Posts: 7
    While Driving My 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.0L, 2WD, it just stops running and cuts off. Sometimes it will start right away and sometimes it will not start for at least 16 hours (that's the longest it took me). Has anyone else had this problem and what was the solution. I changed the fuel pump and it's still doing it. Can anyone help me.
  • Hi, tried this last week, and didn't get any replys. Gonna try once more !!

I have a 98 Grand Cherokee, and have a question! Every time I start it, and it is cold, The engine winds out to a higher rpm for a several seconds before shifting into 3rd gear. Once it makes the shift, then everything is ok. It also only does this ONCE at initial startup. After this it shifts normally until allowed to completely cool down for the night. I thought it was just a cold weather issue and didn't address it over the winter, but now it is warming up and I still have the issue. This happens in drive only and only shifting from 2nd to third. Also, the dashboard switch to override the over-drive works correctly, as well as the floor shifter for all other gears. I do also get an occasional hard shift into reverse and an occasional slight tranny 'whine' when in reverse. Any ideas? Am I on the brink of a tranny failure? Fluid level ok, and seems clean..... tia
  • dillinsdillins Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 JeepCherokee Limited. Cracked block/head. Cost was $2500 to repair at Jeep dealer. Warranty is no good through Quality Guard. I have a $100 deductible and free rental car. They jerked both the service dept and me around for 3 weeks. Didn't send an inspector for 2 weeks. Started out by saying I didn't have a warranty. Had to refile the paperwork. Then the inspector said that the water pump had been replaced because he couldn't see engine paint on it. Funny, my engine has no engine paint. Dealer says its the original water pump. All told I am out $3200 between repairs and rental car. Dealer is still trying to appeal the decision. One word of advice -- don't buy the warranty from the dealer unless it is one from the factory. This Jeep dealer only sold non-factory warranties for their extended policies. Quality Guard does not answer any phone messages (oh yes, most of the time you end up with voice mail). When I called to start the process the adjuster on the phone told me from the beginning that he was going to refuse the claim. How's that for service!!!! :mad: :(
    You may want to check out the Extended Warranties discussion and see if anyone in there has had problems with them.

You also may want to ask your state's insurance office about filing a complaint since most extended warranties are a type of insurance and insurance is a pretty heavily regulated industry.

Steve, Host
  • pinballgovpinballgov Posts: 1
    HI all, my a/c problem is that the clutch will not engage, not sure why it was working untill I had to change the radiator and fan. I ahve checked all fuses and found all of them to be good I have looked in the book and see something about the transducer not sure if this is the problem, what should I check next any and all information will be greatly appiecated thanks

BILL :(
  • taffy3taffy3 Posts: 26
    Thanks Steve
    Yes, you're right. I got under a parked Jeep and the pipe just runs along the front drive shaft tube. It's just a breather pipe.
    Good to hear - time to buy that dog a new chew toy. :shades:

Steve, Host