Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• trek87trek87 Posts: 49
    this kind of vibration at a specific speed usually indicates that you need to get your tires balanced. i recommend a computerized road-force balance if your shop has one. good luck!
  • clipkarnclipkarn Posts: 20
    Does anyone know if you can pop the glass assembly (mirror and frame) out of the mirror shell? If so, how do you do it? I'm trying not to have a painting event.
  • rob1231rob1231 Posts: 4
    Hello all,

I have purchased a used 2000 jeep grand cherokee laredo 4.0l 6 cyl with 132,000 miles on it.I have been having problems with it shutting off on me,have noticed that the oil pressure on the dashboard appears to stay on or near 0.The only time that it will go up to the halfway mark is if i am driving but once i come to a stop it goes back down again.Please help me.

I have purchased a New Oil pressure switch ,Fuel Pressure Regulator,Complete Fuel Pump Assembly,Oil Pump Assembly,Oil Pan Gasket,Have replaced the Oil,Oil Filter on it twice.

I am in need of a tune up,will try to do that within the week.I would appreciate any help on this matter as i need this vehicle to get to work or to assist me in finding work where there isn't any public transportation available.
  • stew79stew79 Posts: 1
    the fuse was blown i replaced it and put it in drive and it blew again. put a new one in and was able to drive it. is there something that i should be concerned about.
  • rhdriverrhdriver Posts: 1
    I just purchase a 1999 Jeep Cherokee, 6 cil and 2 WD. The transmission only moves the vehicle when rev up at high RPMs. Can anyone provide input as to the possible causes of this problem before I pay someone to rebuild the transmission?

Also, I look under the transmission and the drain plug has a “DII” written on it. Does this mean the transmission uses Dextron II ATF? I read in other posts and in the Auto zone website that 1999 Jeep model uses ATF-4 with the 30RH transmission or Mercon V, Castrol domestic multi vehicle ATF, and Castrol high mileage ATF with the AW-4 transmission.

Lastly, is there any way to drain the torque converter without any machinery?

Thank you all for your advice,
  • smokebeesmokebee Posts: 30
    These trans have some computer control exerted on them. Try this. Take the negative battery cable off. let set 5 min or so. reconnect. put key in switch and with your foot on the brake turn key(not to start)--on off, on off, on off, release the foot brake. start engine and see if trans engages a low RPM. The steps you have performed cause a reset of the computer---it has cured problems in many instances.
    S Swann
  • highmainthighmaint Posts: 1
    won't turn over acts like its not get fuel .been sitting for a while. changed out relay. what should i try next?
  • Have a 1995 jeep grand cherokee with V-8, 318 cid.
    (5.2 L). Can not find location of the oxygen sensor to replace it. Can anyone tell me where it is. Is access from top or under side? Can I get to it without other parts removal?
    Thanks for any help.
  • galtejanogaltejano Posts: 1
    96 grand Cherokee, I had the coolant sensor replaced and now I need to know how to reset the panel.
    Should be located in front exhaust pipe near where it ties into exhaust manifold. A secondary downstream sensor will be located after the cat converter.
    S Swann
  • Thanks for the comeback. I will get under again and look. It must be on the right side manifold and where the crossover pipe to the left side is. Must be on the top side of pipe where it is hard to see. Thanks again.
    ebizsearch
  • I picked up my 93 Grand Cherokee just over a month ago and it has been a nightmare. The computer works against everything I do. The Jeep was overheating, so I put in a new radiator, hoses, heater hoses and both engine coolant temperature sensors. I also put in a new cooler (160 degree) thermostat. My overheating issues have gone away and I was able to drive the thing for a few days. I drove it the other day and had no issues, but several hours later when I went to start it up it wouldn't and still wont. The engine codes are telling me that the engine is running too cool. Does anybody know how I can get around this issue? How do I get the computer to allow the Jeep to start? Atleast when it was getting too hot, I only had to wait until it cooled down for the computer to allow it to start. Now that it is running too cool I am lost as to what to do. I appreciate any assistance. Thanks!
  • I have an 01 JGC with almost 100k on it. I have previously wrote that it was hit by a flood and I myself did a ATF change on it. Now only a couple hundred miles on it and the car dies when at a street light, has to have a little cranking in order to run the engine, and transmission doesn't seem to change gears on time. This list goes on and I don't know what else to think of doing to it. I Love my Jeep cause it has pushed its way from Miami to Houston without a problem and I honestly believe that it's like a climate change that has affected it. It's hard to believe but it seems like it and I laugh about it. I have made a list of the things that it has and well I have been told many different things that can fix the problem but no solution. I guess the only solution is to go to a mechanic and make him check it out but we all know that mechanics nowadays are hard to trust. I would like to know what should I do? Suggestions anyone?
    Hey, MM305---I, too, had a flood situation with 99 JGC--4.0 six engine. Water got up to just about CD level on the radio.(total underwater time about 2 hours) I drained the engine, tranny, rear end, gas tank, air manifold, fuel rail,cylinders and whatever---except I failed to disconnect the transmission cooler lines and blow the water/oil mix out. Got it to runnning okay---shifted okay--for awhile.Then got to where it would not shift properly, like yours. Finally took it to tranny shop. What little water remained in the cooler tubes got to the clutch plates and destroyed them. Replaced tranny/torque converter unit and it runs great.Cost was $1500 for the tranny with six month warranty(well past that now). It had 106,000 miles at time of flood and now has over 120,000.
    Good luck-----------Smokey Swann-Odessa, Tx
  • shopdog97shopdog97 Posts: 151
    This is not Earth-shattering, but can anyone tell my why the geniuses at Chrysler CHOSE NOT to put a transmission dipstick on our 07' Grand Cherokee? All it has is a plug where the dipstick should be that says "Dealer use only" on it. Now why is that? This is the 3.7 V-6 engine with the 5 speed automatic. So I am not allowed to check my own transmission fluid level? I asked my service advisor at the dealership and I got some stupid response that amounted to "well you really don't need to know that', Why don't I need or want to know that? Now the thing only has 10,000K on it right now, but I'm used to doing things myself, and I like to be informed MYSELF! I wonder if there is one available from Chrysler(I never checked on it) Now imagine if there was no engine oil dipstick either. They couldn't do away with that, could they?? And the one they do have there is the chintziest piece of metal I ever saw for a dipstick. Bring back the OLD DAYS, please!!!!!!!!!
    I know how U feel----but do U also know that some of todays vehicles have total sealed trannys (except for output shaft) and are considered to be throw away---in other words non repairable.

One can easily see how dumb downed Mfgs and government(with regulations-- of nonsense) want us to become.

It simply means that should U lose the rear seal or tranny cooler and lose fluid you are forced to have it serviced by the Mfg--Dealer.

Have a good weekend
    Smokebee
  • ktotheroktothero Posts: 1
    I have a light on in between my speedometer and tachometer. It is red, and it looks like a man with an airbag or I was thinking maybe climate control....
    What does it mean?
  • shopdog97shopdog97 Posts: 151
    I hear what you're saying, smokebee, but just because there may(and I'm not sure that is the case here)a throw away transmission, I still can't fathom why there wouldn't be a dipstick to show the proper fluid level. There's the gooseneck coming up from the tranny, right where it should be next to the firewall. Now if the trans was sealed and you aren't supposed to worry about it until it's too late(never mind that you can't see it coming)why spend the $$$ to have a gooseneck there at all? The dealer MUST have a dipstick that they use when you bring the vehicle in for service, and at certain intervals they have to have something to check the level, that is only common sense(unless that isn't practiced anymore) I guess I'm just tryin' to make a mountain out of a molehill. Obviously it HAS to make sense to someone, but I don't build these vehicles!!!! Thanks for responding.
    You might take a look at year or two older vehicle(salvage yard or used one at car lot) with same engine and see if they are equipped with a tube in the same place and a dipstick present. Check with Jeep parts folks---see if they list the same tube for three or four years models. If tube is same and sticks are available for the other models---one should fit yours.
    Smokebee
  • dtibdtib Posts: 1
    I have had sporatic problems with my 2005 JGC Laredo not starting. It will run fine for a week or so, then after sitting for just a few hours it will not crank only click. I replaced the battery a month or so ago and it still happened. It will jump start but it takes several minutes. I've never seen a car take that long to jump start. I've had it to the dealer 2 times to troubleshoot. They tell me all of the electrical systems check out fine and that they can't diagnose the prblem until it happens again (I don't think they believe me). Well it happened last night. I intend to have it towed in it's current condition so they can see for themselves. We did have the transmission replaced a year or so ago as well as the blower control switch behind the glovebox. I've seen messages in this forum possibly implicate these items as sources for my current issue. Any thoughts?
  • gp024megp024me Posts: 7
    2008 Jeep grand cherokee 35,000 mi 2WD replaced tires,drive shaft,universal joints,tranny kits,new tranny,and still have vibration, ive heard of having wheels balanced on a forced balance machine through a computer(while vehicle is in motion) I would hate to throw away 100 bucks and still have the problem?
  • wpatterswpatters Posts: 54
    We had the same problem and what it turned out to be was the solenoid on the starter getting oil around it and when it was cold the solenoid would stick. There is an old trick I learned as a kid when that happens...take a hammer or the handle of a screw driver and bang on the solenoid a few times and then try it again. The solution is to buy a new solenoid. You can get them separate from the starter and are very easy to replace. Only two bolts to undo for the starter and then no mystery on what to take off to replace the solenoid. Disconnect the battery FIRST and then undo at the solenoid. IF this is a 6 it is really easy.
  • lselllsell Posts: 2
    My 2002 JGC has 185k miles. I love my Jeep! But lately, when I drive it for 45 minutes or more and park it, it won't start when I try to start it again. It only clicks. Sometimes if I move the shift forward and back it will start. But not always. Usually have to wait 15-20 min.before it will turn over. Had it in to the dealer. They checked all the sensors. Thought it might have been the park/safety sensor. They found a few loose grounds and tightened them. That night on the way home it did it again. Cold start is always fine. Any suggestions?
  • mr_smithmr_smith Posts: 11
    I recently got a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. Engine is 3.7 V6 4x2......Can anybody tell me the oil filter location. I don't feel like paying 30 dollars for an oil change, i just want to change it myself. Thanks
    From under the vehicle. At front of engine driver side. From above--you should be able to see it looking down at the driver side of engine. Access is best from under the vehicle.Filter tilts slightly toward front of car.
    Smokebee
  • harrybcharrybc Posts: 1
    I did a self diagnosis on my a/c and got code 56. Can anyone tell me what that number signifies? My problem is with the blower motor not working at all.
  • rustee34rustee34 Posts: 1
    Hi! I recently had my 2005 JGC serviced. I received this message a couple times prior and a few times since the service. This latest message received tonight after the car sat for a few hours only after driving it briefly earlier in the day isn't going away like before. We're supposed to go on a 2 1/2 hour drive tomorrow, my question is do I need to have this message addressed before heading out of town or is it not that big a deal?
    I have a 06 JGC laredo......when the passenger window is all the way down, if I bring the window up by using the automatic command, it will stop about halfway then go back down on its own. Sometimes is will go all the way up and close completely, but most of the time it will stop half-way and go back down. Really getting annoying. Is anybody else experiencing this.....somebody has got to be.
    Thanks man I found it....i appreciate that
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Just a thought - it could be that the power window (child) safety switch is defective or something is triggering it.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper