Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• wpatterswpatters Posts: 54
    If a person needed to replace the evaporator that is located under the dash on a 93 jeep GC is that something a person good with tools can do or does it require some sort of special tools and special knowledge?
  • I have a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. When I am driving on the highway at speeds of 60 mph or higher, I hear a faint, pulsing whine coming from the front end of the jeep, but the noise stops as soon as a take my foot off of the gas peddle. It is not a really loud noise, it's more of an annoying one. Any ideas? Please help!
  • smokebeesmokebee Posts: 30
    At the bottam of the heater/ac housing located just above the foot area on the pass side the plastic enclosure has a sort of "V" at the left bottam. This is the drain trough. Open the hood --on pass side at the firewall looking down toward the right front wheel control arm---and above the starter solenoid you will see a short plastic pipe sticking out of the firewall. That is the drain pipe.
    A bug could have built a nest inside and stopped the water flow. Use a piece of wire and stick it in the pipe and twist it around to loosen the debris.
    Good luck,
    S Swann
  • I have a 2000 Grand Cherokee 4.7L with Quadratrac. I have noticed a rattle coming from both front wheel wells when driving on rough pavement. Any ideas what may be causing this?
  • I have a 2002 JGC that i bought this past summer. The check engine light came on and I took it to adavance auto parts and the guy told me it was just the gas cap that needed to be replaced. He also said that it would take a couple of days of the light to go off. Is this true?

Also, my jgc has started burning gas like crazy. I drove about 15 miles today and it said I used about 45 miles worth of gas? How can I improve the gas mileage?
  • My jeep just lost all spark, I so I replaced to Coil but still no spark, So I ran all the Diagnostic checks in the hyenas manual, I was getting a ground out of the crank shaft sensors, So I replaced to PCM, Still nothing, I don't know if this matters or not but a few weeks prier to it dying I replaced the fuel pump/ fuel filters/ fuel lines, put in a Panasonic after market radio??
  • I am trying to fix my sons 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Its has an inline 6 cylinder. When in park and giving gas it runs and sounds fine for about 3 seconds then starts to hesitate etc. In gear it runs rough and can only get it to about 40 mph.

Just had the plugs replaced

Thanks in advance!
  • Possibly the TPS or a clogged fuel line/filter?
  • Sorry can you tell me what TPS is??
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    TPS = Throttle Position Sensor

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • You would be amazed at how that affects the engine. If the fuel pressure is down the computer goes nuts. Simple to fix and even if it is not the problem it probable needs to be done.
  • I have a 2006 JGC 4x2 3.7l V6 and would like to know how to replace the water pump.
  • The auto parts guy is correct. If it indeed is your gas cap. But there is other things it could be as well. If he pulled your codes he probably got a code that means your fuel vapor return has a small leak. which is a gas cap most of the time, but not always.

now this is why i say he is not correct, Your statement about how your getting really bad fuel mileage leads me to say that you have a egr valve problem, which someone with limited knowledge might read as a gas cap malfunction. a bad EGR valve will cause loss of fuel mileage, as well as a running problem that is sometimes hard to notice. do yourself some good and take it to a real shop.

FYI.. in the case of a bad gas cap, most of the time you can fix the problem for free, take a rag with a little fuel on it and rub the dirt and grime off the rubber seal and off the mating surface on the fill tube about once a month. as for the check engine light you dont have to wait for days for the light to go off, just take the car battery out for 30 seconds, reset your radio to the stations you like, and reset your clock.. Check engine light is no longer a bother.. hope this helps
  • honeslty, not to make it sound like im putting you down, but you need to have a technician fix your jeep. replacement of water pumps are not what they used to be. You can damage your motor very badly if it is not done proper
  • pole2pole2 Posts: 17
    I need shop service manual for Jeep Grand Cherokee 2007 with 3.l CRD diesel engine.
    Anybody know were can I buy it. (E bay only offer with gasoline engine).
    Tahnk you Wojtek
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    probly have to buy right from jeep
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Give Online Repair Manuals a try.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • hey russ, your problem sounds like a fuel pressure regulator, had the same problem
  • i have a 2000 grand cherokee with the 4.7 jus had the timing chain replaced ran fine for about 60 miles after i got it back started throwing a p0340 i replaced the cam shaft sensor twice and the pcm was wondering if someone would know wat else could be wrong it wont start at all just will crank
  • My problem is that everytime i would drive or just stay idle for a while in traffic the RPM gage is below 1 and it seems as if its gonna shut off and one point it did. The engine light will come on some days and then other days it wouldnt..The eclamation light neva goes off. I had it serviced already changing all the spark plugs air filters and oil but the problem still continue, plus it burns gas like hell. I really need some idea as to wat may seems to be the problem please thank you.
  • Damn....welcome to the club, the same thing happens to me. I have a 2006 JGC laredo. From time to time at red lights or at a drive thrus, my RPMs will go below 1 and the engine sputters but mine hasn't died yet.
  • I have a 4.7 that was knocking at 2000+ RPMs, was told to replace main bearings, I did so, the main bearings had no sign of wear, however as i Rotated the crank during removal of the first bearing, both of the thrust bearings fell out, upon visual inspection, both thrust bearings have signs of wear and metal gouging. Is this my problem, and what is a thrust bearing in an engine for?
  • I don't know about the 2006, but my 99 was doing that, and after going through throttle body, fuel filter, and tune up, I was told to replace camshaft sensor, I did with great success, did the job!
  • -a thrust bearing-ifin i demember korectlee(sorry,my poor attempt at humor),-ANYWAY; is to keep the crankshaft-or camshaft- from moving forward or back-front to rear,if that's the bearing i'm thinking of..
    -the last time i dealt with a thrust bearing was in my -64 air cooled bug..in that motor,they had what amounted to washers that went behind the flywheel..you'd stack them in there,till the shaft only moved about .003 -thousants-cause heat expands-etc..
    ---i could be wrong..also,haven't looked into how a thrust bearing sits in my jeep engine,or how to service/replace it..good luck ! ;)
  • when gas hit 4 bucks,got a great deal on this old jeep..
    i've fixed the broken windows(pax side 1/4 ,and front door glass),-ever since i've had it,the rear axle "whines",but hasn't gotten any louder..i think it's the pax side bearing,but-of corse-every service dept wants two grand to rebuild it,witch i feel is overkill if the only thing really wrong is that bearing..
    --anyone else out there in cyberspace had a similar expierience with that series-all time-all wheel drive,aluminim casing-dana 44?
    -also,when changing the back parking brake-the wear pattern on the shoes was wierd,like the axle wasn't setting in the right place..
    --ain't got money to waste-as this thing's only getting 12-14 m.p.g.at best,and the tank is always hungry,so i don't need to throw away money i aint got..
    --anyone else had this problem? :sick:
  • i have an 99 grand Cherokee where to start
    1. it falls flat on its face getting on the highway and when does go it feels like your being thrown into the next gear have had problems with it sputtering and feels like it not getting fuel/ not sure/ it has 118000 miles
    2 air bag light dinging at me was every 5 10 minutes now every minute not sure where to look to even begin to fix this
    3 does not like to start in the winter i have and electric start and it works good but if the weather is cold it really doesn't want to start with the key either annoying in winter!! :cry: :confuse:
  • pole2pole2 Posts: 17
    Hi Everybody
    My Grand Cherokee Jeep with diesel 3.0l CRD engine is equip with Mopar Vehicle Remote Start System.Recently system stop working. It is mean it start all procedures ( turn radio on, adjust seat, turn lights, by the end honk two times) but does not ignite the engine. Anybody can help ?
  • loosenutloosenut Posts: 165
    as far as running-sounds like a plugged catylitic converter or muffler..also,try putting marathon premium in it for winter..that cheap crap that smells more like kerosene than gas is why you get to tune it up twice as often as i do --that 10/20 cents per gal doesn't add up to mutch savings when ya figure in things like that..ya get what ya pay for..bla-bla..
    --seriously,try a good thorough tune up..probably hasn't been done since new..ya gots ta do th maintenence on em,or they run like--that-till they leave you walking to the next exit!!
  • If you have fuel and spark at the cylinders, then I would have the "timing rechecked" to see that its on spec,
  • If you have the 4.7 engine, try having the throttle body cleaned, this causes low idle and stalling, (known problem).