Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Ain't that the truth !!! I am so sick of my car I could scream. I will fix one thing and something else will mess up. There is ALWAYS something wrong with my car. I swear it is possessed by Satan.
  • cskicski West Springfield, VAPosts: 1,339
    Ha ha. I feel the same. I paid mine off in May. 5 days later it wants to stall at stoplights. Then, boom...check engine light. Then, coolant leak. Add that to the left front wheel bearing, and I have 3 significant issues.

However, because I just put $2500 in it, and because nothing significant is leaking or broken, my mechanic says it would be a sin to give up on it now. So, I am going to pay the man to fix it. I have a 99 w/ the V8 engine, and only 134k. I had a 100k warranty, and at 98k it needed $7200 in repairs to the 4x4 system and transfer case AND diffs AND solenoid packs so the drive-line is really solid. I honestly just love the way the V8 sings and the thrust. So, out comes the checkbook... :lemon:

Chris Skalski: Network Engineer 2012 Kia Optima EX

• I am trying to decide if I want to keep mine or get a more reliable car. Here is the short list of problems:

1. Driver's window came off the track and slides down by itself. (I have it rigged to stay up) Rear driver's side window won't go down.
    2. No heat-need to replace the blend doors. Plan on getting a Heater Treater kit to fix because I cannot afford to have it fixed at the dealership.
    3. I need the rear differential worked on? I am not quite sure about that one, but my mechanic says it is minor.
    4. Need transmission serviced.

In the last two years I have had to replace the transfer case, oil sending unit, brakes, radiator, water pump, thermostat, radiator fan w/shroud, battery (numerous times), light bulb sockets for rear lights, and the list goes on.
    I do really love my car, but I am really sick of constantly having to fix it. At what point should I cut my losses and get another car? I have a 1999 Grand Cherokee Limited with 111,000 miles on it.
  • OP said: "If you do decide on the Grand Cherokee, the V8 is a must have if you can afford the gas."

I'm assuming most of us who can afford a $40k vehicle can afford the gas - as I can - but I still opted for the V6 Overland. I needed enough power to haul a 21' boat 10x/year. The rest of the time I need an engine that will allow me to merge into freeway traffic, but keep my overall commute costs reasonable. Can I afford V8-style gas mileage? Yes, but why if it's not necessary? I had a neighbor who had the Jeep Commander with the V8, and he commutes to the same general area I do. He said he was filling that thing up every other day and you could almost literally see the gas needle move if he had to floor it for some reason. I fill up about once/week or maybe every 10 days.

Anyway, just a contrasting opinion. I'm sure the V8 is a little more fun to drive because it would obviously be quicker. (So would an SRT8.) But I am VERY happy with the V6, especially if I put it in "Sport" mode.
  • Have an issue with the quadra lift feature on my 2011 JGC Overland. I push the "UP" button and the light flashes like it wants to go up, but it doesn't go up. It worked for the first month I had the vehicle, then stopped working. I know the feature still works because one day I hopped in and it was actually in the middle height position (normally it's in the lowest position).

Took it to dealer yesterday and they worked on it for 90 minutes. Came out and told me they think something is funky, but can't quite put their finger on it. Told me it was working again, and to call them if/when it happens again so they can get a malfunction code off of it. Went to parking lot, started it up and tested it out - didn't work. Walked back into to the service guy (nice guy) and they took it back in for another 90 minutes. He said they had a better handle on what the problem was (something about the pump or compressor?), but needed some time to talk with Jeep HQ about a solution and parts. I need to bring it back in, they'll give me a loaner, and will try to fix it permanently.

Minor issue as we rarely use the feature - generally only when hitching up to our boat, and even then it's not a necessity. But I want to get it fixed while it's under warranty.

I know there are quality complaints about the JGC (then why the heck are there so many on the road?!), but I have to say that overall I've been extremely pleased with this vehicle. This is my first Jeep. Almost every single person who rides in it is shocked it's a Jeep. Don't know...maybe my story will be different after 30k miles, but very happy so far. I'm seriously thinking about buying the extended warranty and driving this thing to 100k+ miles.
    Thanks for your thoughts and insights on my post. I think most people would choose the V8, and absolutely none would choose the V6, because there is no V6. The 4.0 liter, 195 hp motor is an i-6. I is for "inline". Sorry man. -C

• i have a 1998 jeep grand cherokee. Two saturdays ago i stopped at a red and i think a ring gear broke and went though the rear pumpkin and put a nice little hole in. It was grinding and i thought it was brakes.Was there any i could have done to prevent that from happing ? it pushed the reardriveshift out and i was picking up peices for about five minutes .Any ideas on what to do ?

I love Jeeps and will always buy them if i can.
  • Did you find an aftermarket spring perch? I have the same problem on my 96 grand cherokee and cant find one.
  • I have a 95 cherokee limited straight 6 all wheel drive. The other day I was driving down the hwy and it just died. It would turn over but not fire up. So I got it towed back home. I thought it was the fuel pump but when i spray starter fluid into the air intake it dosent fire and if it was the pump it should. So i moved on and so far I replaced the ignition coil still no fire. Then i thought maybe the pick up in the distributor and replaced that. Still no fire. Then i thought must be the engine control module computer so I replaced that and thought for sure it would start but again no fire up. Im not getting a spark at the distributor and dont know what else it could be. this is my only car and i need it fixed bad. If any one can help please do so. HELP NO SPARK!!!! :sick: :sick: :sick:
  • tenwolvz ..........

Try checking the Crankshaft / Flywheel Sensor, and the Cam Sensor

Shame you already replaced the ECM, may have not needed that ?
    I agree with offroadpep. Is the engine cranking freely? Is it getting air & fuel?

• rwengrrwengr Posts: 177
    You will need a digital voltmeter and wiring diagram. You may have blown a fusible link or have a bad ground. When checking continuity on a ground wire make sure one clip lead goes all the way back to the (-) terminal of the battery. Unfortunately, this will all take time and as you have already seen, experimenting with solutions is not cost effective. I once replaced a rear wiper motor and the problem was the switch that turns the wiper on. I replaced a power window motor and the problem was the track. I'm an electrical engineer and it has taken me days to track down electrical problems. I hope you kept your old engine computer so you will have a spare. There was probably nothing wrong with it. Basically, if you need it fixed right away you will have to go to a mechanic $$$.
  • I was lucky when the same thing happened to me going up a 13% grade. The coil burned out...150k miles on a 93 gc 6 cyc. Was getting fuel but no spark. Pulled the coil wire and there was nothing. Replaced and all OK...but was told if that did not fix it check the crank sensor. Pulling a hard grade like that in an old jeep is common to put such a load on the coil that it frys. In that area the Napa guy said they have seen coils that actually looked hot!!

Good luck
  • rsi1rsi1 Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    Could some please help me with this. Need Valve guides for my Grand Cherokee 2001. I'm from South Africa and the supplier here do not sell the valve guides on there own ( need to buy the hole head .... crazy i think ??? ) Please could any one help ?

Any one that can help can mail me at delteur@internext.co.za

Thanks guys
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,972
    Try RockAuto.com. They ship worldwide.

Use this code and you may get 5% off:

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

I checked e-bay motors for you, nothing there.

Otherwise, you will have to buy at a USA shop that is willing to ship overseas. I bought my Jeep and deal with Safford motors (I have a 99 4.7)

703-866-1700. Springfield, VA, USA 22150 Good luck.

Hey guys. I found a great place to buy parts cheap for any model Jeep, including our beloved Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ models.

I have ordered a complete wood grain ashtray/heated seat switch /lighter and 12v power module in good condition for $20 bucks. It was 12.50 to ship. Total- $32 bucks.

It does say "4.0 model 99-04", but the wiring is the same on all of them.

• I have had my JGCL for about 6 months and when I stop, the rear end jerks like I was rearended, what could be the cause of this and also, when I tried to start it earlier it wouldn't turn over and stay started and would die after a few seconds and it took almost 10 minutes for the thing to start... I need help because no one has an answer for these problems..
  • I think you're confused, my 2011 JGC Overland has a 290 HP V6. Read more: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/reviews/drives/2011-jeep-grand-cherokee-tes- t-drive.
  • Wanted to provide a quick update for the benefit of anyone with similar quadra-lift issues. The dealer discovered that the compressor went out, not sure why. They replaced it and everything is fine now.
    I must apologize for being a wise-guy.

The 92-2004 models (ZJ and WJ) are equipped with the venerable 4.0 liter inline 6 (I6) engine. The WK (05-2010) and WK2 are both offered with V6 engines. The WK with the 3.7 liter, 215HP V6, and the WK2 with the new 3.6 liter Pentastar engine producing 290HP.

The 3.6 is now offered in almost all Chrysler, Doge and Jeep models, either standard or optional in depending on the vehicle. It is a thoroughly modern engine, producing anywhere between 280-305 HP, depending on the plumbing in multiple vehicles.

I tried to be a wise guy, telling a user there is no V6 engine in GC's. I meant the ZJ and WJ models, since those vehicles seem to need more repairs and maintenance than the newer models.

I apologize

-Chris :blush:

• joe3djoe3d Posts: 17
    Hello, is there anyway to remove the trunk floor? I spilled some liquid in the trunk and need to clean it out. I already have removed the cargo lid that accesses the spare tire nut, but I see there are odd looking screws in four places around the trunk area. It doesn't look like regular screws or allen wrench screws. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Joe
    edited November 2011
    Man. That is a new one.

The floor is welded in...and is part of the body/structure of the vehicle. If you are speaking of the carpet I suppose you can tear it out. If you do a good job, you can cut a new piece and install it. .
    ****I Googled it for you, checked at least 5 places, and the 4 screws were not mentioned. You need to know that THE GAS TANK IS UNDER THE SPARE TIRE. Do NOT cut out the metal floor unless you want a spark to catch the vehicle on FIRE!!****

There is no mention of a "procedeure" to cut it out, & furthermore I bet those screws hold the gas tank under the truck. I looked up gas tank removal, and this is what was mentioned:
    "Remove the bolts which hold the tank against the bottom of the Cherokee with a socket wrench. Mounting bolts are located at the back and at the front of the tank"

Did you spill gas in the trunk..like a gas can fell over? Hard to get those fumes out. Good luck. :confuse:

cski, thanks for your reply and concern. First off, I have a 2005 JGC I failed to mention that in my first post. This might be the last time I pick up food for the family parties. I had a large seafood tray called Zuppa di Pesce. It's like a soup. OF course, I took precautions with a drop cloth underneath but it wasn't enough. I shampooed the carpet but I know some fell through the creases around the outskirts of the trunk. Just imagine that stench! I might be out of luck if it's welded but I will look again later today. I will keep you posted with the results. Thanks, Joe
    edited November 2011
    Well, just steam clean the whole trunk area. I would use one of the industrial units that can be rented at grocery stores.

I will be a lot cheaper than cutting out the carpet!

It's either that, or 10 bottles of Febreeze mixed with those little pine-tree mirror things... :sick:

edited November 2011
    I'd skip the pine-trees and their chemical out-gassing.

Fresh coffee grounds are great for masking odors while the Febreeze or steam cleaner works, but you have to replenish them every few days.

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,206
    I don't know about the coffee thing.... spilled coffee in my cupholders always stinks forever... :sick:

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

lol, try some grounds, not a cup of Starbucks. :P

You got it fish! A full-size trey of soupy fish. I did shampoo it with my green machine cleaner and it smells better but it's not there yet. I'm concerned it seeped in where the carpet meets the plastic molding and where those 4 sets of machine screws are around the cargo hatch. Thanks for all the cleaning ideas. The coffee sound interesting but I will try some the new fabreeze or baking soda next. Thanks, Joe
    Eww.

Yeah, the coffee grounds would just mask the odor; you need something to get rid of it for good.