Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jhuckjhuck Posts: 17
    For my 2000 JGC it was three screws just inside the door jam. I did break one bulb pulling while pulling it out so be careful with those quarter turns.
  • I'm replacing the shocks on my 2002 JGC Limited (AWD). I want to upgrade to the best road shock I can get. Any suggestions?
  • My wife and I are the owners of a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee and recently the headlights and interior gauge lights have been flickering on and off for no apparent reason. We have brought it to 2 dealerships, which have not been able to solve the problem. They have said the computers are not showing a problem and our luck being what it is the flickering has not occurred when when the Jeep was in for service. Has anyone else heard of a problem like this before? Your help is much appreciated!!!
  • I had this problem and it turned out to be a bad cell in my battery. I didn't beleive it when they told me but have not seen the problem again.
  • It seems that electrical issues are somewhat common among owners of newer Jeep GCs. The interior lights no longer dimming was the beginning of the electrical probs...followed by all of the following suddenly quit working (one right after the other) my windows, cruise control, door locks, and the list. Jeep owners who I have talked to with similar problems havent been able to have them diagnosed by a mechanic or jeep dealer. This type of problem has to be some sort of short, bad relay, or bad chip in the system....but like you as of yet no one has been able to find the cause. My jeep is going back to the dealer today and if the problems cant be diagnosed or corrected they know they will be taking my vehicle back and I will be getting another vehicle that is not the same make or model. I wish you much luck with your jeep issue and wish I could offer you some insight!
  • moushamousha Posts: 1
    Hello ,...
    I have a problem with my jeep and i would like to know if it happened to you and wht to do ?suddenly my reverse in my car stopped working but the drive is working and the N is working so i would appreciate any help .
    thanks
  • Hey everybody i've got a '00 JGC and it has the scratch guard type thing....I dont know the name of it but its like gray, im pretty sure you guys know now. Anyway thats been fading but when i recently washed my car i grabbed a flat head screw drive and a rag that was a moist and wrapped it around the screw driver. Then i started to rub the bumpers and it started coming off. It's hella hard on your arms and its just too much work for such little progress. Anybody now something i can maybe use or spray and clean it out and restore the color of it?

p.s. If you still dont know what im talking about. Its like a scratch guard that some jeeps come with. You either get all one color or you get a two tone type one with the guard.

Thanks for the help
  • Hi all my 97 Jeep GC just got a P1757 and i know it has something to do with the transmission...i was concidering a sollenoid or something but thruth is i dont know how to fix it....does anyone here have a clue as to what i should do

Thanks
  • YES!! I am having the same problem!! Have you been able to get it fixed? It's back at the dealership for a 2nd time. It has been happening to me at night while driving on the freeway and its obviously an extremely hazaradous situation to be in.
  • jcc999jcc999 Posts: 1
    Did you get any answers to your oil pressure problem? We are having the same thing, just started. The Jeep garage wants to us to spend $675 to take off the oil pan and replace the oil pump. Seems as if they night do better than just try things with us paying, trying to figure it out.

Thanks.
  • pacnwpacnw Posts: 2
    I have a 1995 gc 5.2 150,000 mls and the engine light comes on after driving for aprox 1hr but the jeep still runs ok. I do maintenance by the book but have never change o2 sensors since it passes smog test

help
  • xscoutxscout Posts: 141
    Code P1757 is "Governor pressure greater than 3 psi when requested to be 0 psi." I replaced that part just recently after I discovered I suddenly had no first gear. After much searching on the internet I concluded that the problem was either the governor pressure sensor or the governor pressure solenoid. If you have ever dropped the transmission pan and changed your fluid and filter you can do this job. Both parts stick downward into the pan and are visible after the filter has been removed. You have to remove the mounting body they are both attached to (I recall needing a torx screwdriver). To remove the pressure sensor from the body you will have to remove the attached gasket which comes off easy with a sharp gasket removal tool and can be reused. There is a clip hidden by the gasket you have to remove to get the pressure sensor off. Both off these parts run about $100 each and either can be the problem since they "talk" to one another, either one is not receiving correctly or the other is not sending correctly. I replaced both not wanting to have to tear everything back apart again if I guessed the wrong part. Entire job ended up costing me about $250 and half a day in the driveway, but the lowest estimate I got to have it done was $600+ with no guarantee in would not go higher.
  • I have a 98 with the 5.9 and I noticed that my cv boots were getting pretty bad this summer and I was getting some clicking in the front when I turned sharp. Well now I have clicking all the time and my four wheel drive isn't working. Is this the cv joints? If so can I screw up anything else by driving it until its fixed? How hard of a project is it?
  • No struts involved, just shocks and coil springs. Sounds like you need new shocks. They are very easy to install.
  • If you haven't found a solution to your fading body molding, let me know and I'll tell you what I did.
  • Have you solved your problem yet? Let me know and maybe I can help.
  • Yes, unfortunately, your going to need to replace the CV joints. You should be fine driving them until you replace them. Just don't wait too long. I'd replace them within a month. If you're mechanically inclined, it shouldn't be very hard for you to do yourself. I would at least go and buy the Haynes Repair Manual that covers your model Grand before you begin the replacement. It will walk you through the process step by step. If you have anymore questions let me know.
  • Have you solved your problem yet? Let me know and maybe I can help you out.
  • The clicking when turning is a symptom of bad cv joints. Although replacing cv joints is a dirty job, its not too huge of a project. If you really have no idea what you are doing you may either want to invest in a Chilton jeep repair guide or just save yourself the hassle and take it somewhere and pay to have it done. Besides the repair guide you may be able to find directions on how to change out the bad cv's online. Good luck!!
  • i have a 2001 jeep grand cherokee....i wanna keep up with my maintence on the jeep, are there any grease points/if so, where can i find them?