Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• lsyskolsysko Posts: 1
    read another comment. my rotors are warped at 7K also. dealer wants to recut them. i think chrysler should replace them. also have a squeal or a moan when i turn the wheel sharply left or right when vehicle is standing still. and my head rest keeps creeping up .was supposed to be fixed but wasn't. also anybody notice it's tough to keep it running in a straight line on the highway at 55 to 65 with out allmost feeling like you;re fighting the truck ?
  • bob_grahambob_graham Posts: 63
    I've had three Grand, 96, 98 and the 2001.

Never had any real problems with the first two, and when there was a problem, it was fixed the first time.

But now HELP!!! I have a Champagne LTD 2001 V-8 4X4, every option with 9100 miles.

Here is the list, If anyone has any ideas please HELP.

1. Brakes, mine started the vibration. The front cylinders were both leaking and the rotors were warped. Sounds like this will come back. They did say there was a service bulletin.

2. An intense vibration in the steering when you turn the wheel to the right, while stopped. This just started. They replaced the steering box assembly. Drove it for 15 miles and the problem was back. They started giving me that song and dance about this being normal.

3. When you turn right into a drive way you here a metal to metal snap. The dealer even heard the sound and then wrote on the repair order that they could not duplicate, another, this is normal line.

4. Stains appear on all the windows except for the windshield when water or dust gets on them. It's like some type of stain. They cannot remove this. I think it must be some chemical used in
    shipment.

5. Rough idle from time to time.

This is a shame that such a beautiful ride is turning into a nightmare. What get's me is the "could not duplicate" and "normal" lines.

I told them that I expect a car with 9100 miles on it to feel and drive EXACTLY like the other 2001 units sitting on the lot, and if they cannot fix the car then they should contact DC and start the process of returning the car.

By the way, if anyone is interested, I know a great group of attorneys in San Francisco that deal with massive failures of autos.

If you have heard of the Dodge Dakota CT then you know that DC lied to all of us about it's owning capacity. To make a long story short, we won in a court in LA.

The sad part is I love my Chrysler Products, I have a 94 RAM that is a great truck.

This may be the last straw, this time. maybe some of us should write the new President of DC.
  • I love this vehicle. Great pickup and has all the features anyone would want. No problems so far. (knock on wood) Hope they make a 7 passenger for 2002.
  • I too am beginning to see paint cracking on the hood of my black JGC. My brake rotors warped at 13k and the warranty only covers brakes to 12k. I just logged 20k miles and an starting to find that it's occasionally hard to start, especially when cold. And the most annoying thing - clicking windshield wipers. I've replaced the blades and the whole arm/blade combination 3 times. The clicking drives me CRAZY!
  • rms7rms7 Posts: 1
    Been reading about all the problems. I have a Black LTD 2001 V-8 4X4, every option with 3600 miles. Haven't had any brake/rotor problems yet but have experienced the following:

Front Axel Leaking
    It's currenty at the dealer because the left front axel is leaking. Not more than a weep but its still unacceptable. Service mgr says first one he's seen leaking. Can anyone dispute?

Rough Idle
    It idles a little rough and had the service manager sit in it when it was idling where he quickly responded "its normal".

Excessive Steering Wheel Movement
    The steering wheel moves excessively (1-2" radially) when going over bumps or uneven surfaces on paved roads. This is supposed to be an off road vehicle and I was expecting a more stout feel. Dealer says its because of the 17" wheels. Yeah right. Anyone experience similar?

Other than that its been ok.
  • janzjanz Posts: 129
    We had a 300 i. trip planned and about 45 minutes out of town, my husband nearly turned back, but he didn't and it was a nightmare. Will never do it again, way too unstable, especially when being passed by semi's. Stabilizer bars would be a necessity if we ever considered it again, but now that we have our new AC 2500HD Silver ado, we won't be pulling the trailer with the Jeep any more.

As to satisfaction, I am overdue in getting into the dealer ship for my warped rotors. It's a '99 Laredo, V8, QT II just hitting 20K at 22 months. The only time it's been in the shop, after a few small details at purchase, was for a recall on emission.

Am not excited to hear the answer to the rotor question, but aside from that I LOVE MY JGC!
  • trainiactrainiac Posts: 24
    Just drove a Limited, loaded V-8, Quadra drive, sunroof, soft leather, Patriot Blue and all the other stuff you'll never use. List price is $36,690, sell outright for #31,987, or with the 3.9% financing for 60 months. $32,987. Good deal or should I wait? Thanks.
  • gohuskiesgohuskies Posts: 40
    I had a 99 Grand Cherokee Limited that had a right pull problem. Jeep finally admitted that it was a Quadra-Drive problem after many alignment checks and the installation of factory provided off set ball joints.
    I drove a 01 with Quadra-Drive and it had the same right pull problem. Quadra-Trac and Select-Trac do not have the right pull problem. There was no Quadra-Drive cure when I went to arbitration and won in March of 01.
    Jeep sold my 99 at a Chrysler Dealer auction and then the dealer sold it to an unsuspecting buyer who was not apprised of the maintenance record/problems.
    The new owner found my insurance tag in the vehicle and called me. They had experienced some of the problems that prompted my arbitration hearing in their two days of ownership. They were headed back to the dealership after our conversation.
    All prospective buyers of used Chrysler products, from a dealer, should question and demand the entire vehicle record from the dealer to help determine vehicle reliability prior to finalizing a purchase. Buyer beware.
  • I'm looking at purchasing a 97 JGC Laredo. During the test drive a short time following shifting from 4wd back to 2wd the vehicle will buck slightly when cornering slowly.

The current owner said that the dealer told him this is common and it works itself out after a few minutes of continued driving. Which it did during my drive.

I'm concerned that there is a problem with the transmission or axle.

Anyone have this problem? And what action was taken?
  • rok9900rok9900 Posts: 4
    I need your help!! I'm looking at a leftover 2000 ZR2 with everything but a sonroof and a 98' Grand Cherokee Limited V8 w/36,000 miles and every option known to man. The ZR2 price is $23,000 and the Cherokee is $18,900. I drive 45,000 miles a year and often have about 400-500 lbs. in the truck. I love the Cherokee for the toys, 4 doors and liftgate. I love the ZR2 because it's brand new and reinforced chassis. If anyone knows, just how special is this ZR2 package?
    Is it that big of a difference? I need whichever one will last longer and be tougher. Please HELP!
  • tcn2ktcn2k Posts: 277
    I have a 2000 Grand Ch. Laredo. My remote control works intermitently. I tried it with both keys, and replaced the battery as well. What can be the problem? Has anyone have this problem before?
  • arefeenarefeen Posts: 4
    I have a 1996 JGC Laredo with 121000 miles. The engine oil pressure goes down to zero during idle and/or low speed. The engine starts with normal pressure at the beginning but goes down after a while during idle/low speed. Any suggestions on what may cause this? I have no oil leaks and oil level is always in sfae region. An auto shop is suggesting a faulty pressure sensor and asking about $200 to replace that. Thank you in advance for your comments and/or suggestions.
  • rinkinkinrinkinkin Posts: 35
    2000 GCL V8 Qt II with 19500 Kilometers(11700 miles)
    everything works beautifully EXCEPT the rotors ---I am going in for the 3rd set and the last under warranty (expiring at 12000 miles under warranty)tomorrow morning.
    My 93 I-6 GCL had no similar defect.
    Thinking of putting in Stillen rotors after this saga . Any one had experience with Stillen on a GCL??
  • wobblerwobbler Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Jeep Cherokee Country 4WD. Does anywone have any information on how to solve what is commonly known as the "death wobble"?

This is a problem whereby when you hit bump at highway speeds (like 50-65mph), a violent shaking occurs throughout the front-end and steering. It's as if the front wheels are shaking back-and-forth, or up-and-down, or left-to-right.

It doesn't build up or die-down gradually, as if it where wheel balance, but generally requires a trigger (like a bump...even a small bump). And it doesn't attenuate smoothly as I rapidly slow in utter fear for my life...sometimes it remains very intense until I get down to about 30mph!

I've spent $1100 dollars already on new:
    steering damper, trac-bar, all tie-rod ends, steering link stabilizer bushings, shock absorbers, brake rotors, and front-end alignment.

This is really scary. (And expensive!!!)
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Posts: 838
    No experience with the Stillen rotors. I did just put a new set on my wife's '00 GCL last evening. The parts would have been about $102, but I got them for about $75. Autozone sold me the wrong rotors last week, did not find out until I had spent quite a bit of time making a trip back to get a better (6 pt.) 18mm socket and 1/2" drive breaker bar. They had to order the correct one's for me. The receipt shows 2 year/24 month warranty.

It took less than 45 minutes to change them last night.. jack up one side, put on jackstand, remove wheel, remove 2 bolts, slide caliper out of way, replace rotor, 2 bolts on caliper back in, replace wheel, etc. Cured the problem for now. I have the original in case Jeep ever answers my complaint... warped at about 15,000 miles. The '99 I had previously warped at 5,000 and 20,000. Jeep still declines to admit they have a problem.

If worse comes to worse and the new one warp after their 24 month warranty, I can at least get the original ones turned and put on just before trading....

Good luck.
    Yes, I got the last rotor replaced under warranty this morning and the service rep explained to me in detail that after this set I have to pay and the set they put on this morning will only be covered until coming Sept when the factory warranty on rotors expires.
    So I am on my own after Sept and so far one friendly garage reccommanded Power Stop rotors and also my service rep has been using Power Stop on his Labaron for 3 months . No negative feedback so far. Any one has comments??
    They cost is C$149/side. Stillens are more --US$350 both sides and they don't have distributor here. I will fight with DC first and Power Stop later.
    Also Parts rep and one Jeep mechanic said 2001 GCL has the same rotor problem as '99 and '00 even though they have 17" wheels vs 16" on '99 & '00 (dumb move not to enlarge the rotors and cut DC warranty cost at the same time)
    My brother's '99 GCL with QD gear-whining problem had been solved finally after 2 years of repeated attempts. It's been a few months since the repair and no recurring noise. He mentioned a DC bulletin and replacing a diff yoke.... or axle. I can get specifics from from if anyone needs.
  • rogerm4rogerm4 Posts: 10
    I was interested in trading off my 98 Blazer, because like the JGC, either you get a great one or a bad one. I noticed after reading just a few of the posts on this board, that many JGC also have problems with the rotors corroding or warping, which has also been a chronic problem with the Blazers/Bravada's. Any ideas on what we can do about it? cost me over 600.00 to replace my rear rotors on a blazer with only 29,000 miles. of course the dealer wouldn't cover it since i was a couple months out of warranty.
    I would definitely try after market rotors and pads like Stillen , Power Stop or ......
  • rwharcharwharcha Posts: 19
    I haven't read all posts,but my Jeep just started to have this loud vibration sound which is at almost all speeds, and is,of course, loudest at 55-60 mph. Sometimes, it goes away when it makes the last shift, then comes back at 55 mph. Very annoying. Dealer says its vibration in either drive shaft, or transmission. Possibly needs several stabilizing bars added. Then not guaranteed to stop it. They want close to 1 K. to do this. Has anyone else experienced this , and did you get it fixed, and what price? There has been no official recall, but there has been a service bulletin about the vibration. Would like to hear from anyone . TIA Russ.
  • aspiaraspiar Posts: 1
    i recently aquired a 97 jgc,
    but the gas is killing me.
    Is it normal to get about 12 miles per gallon???!!
  • On my '97 Laredo I have had the following repairs:
    front rotors (twice), U-joints, rear wiper motor, sway bar links, leaking transfer case (twice)O2 sensor shorted, air conditioning went out (needed new evaporator), and currently the rear differential bearings are out and need to be replaced. All this with 65,000 miles on it. I was upset about the differential bearings, I felt that this was too early for them to be bad so I called Chrysler and they will take care of parts and most of the labor on that. Anyone else had this many problems on their '97? The total for our repairs is $4500 and all these have been done in the last year and 9 months!
  • rushing2rushing2 Posts: 1
    We bought a 2000 JAG in August of 2000. Here is the list of problems that we have had with it during its first year.
    1. Only half of the overhead computer was illuminated.

2. Immense pull to the right. (Told that to the service department every time it went it for an oil change, "Oh, the alignment is fine ma'am, that's just the road you're on." My favorite, "That's just the JEEP in it."

3. Speedometer stuck at 45 mph.

4. Difficulty starting (the fuel pump had to be replaced).

5. The pull to the right was finally fixed by replacing the ball joint. However, after 19,000 miles the tread on the front tires was completely worn. DC is replacing those since they were the result of the faulty ball joint.

I have to admit, today you take a chance with any vehicle that you buy. But as a consumer, you hope to get the most out of your purchase. Please let me know if you have any other problems that I should be aware of. You know it's funny, I just discovered this town hall, and I have learned about my JAG than my mechanic has been able to tell me.
  • jmcelwainjmcelwain Posts: 4
    I have a 2005 4.7 Laredo with the exact same issue sitting at the dealers now for the fourth time. So far they have changed one spark plug, one coil and one fuel injector and have cleared it up quite a bit but still failing. Looks like there is a widespread issue here with the 4.7 engine. My other half has a 2004 GC Overland and it runs like a watch. So it must be something was changed for the 2005 models.

Mack
  • genie1genie1 Posts: 398
    We have a 2000 Grand Cherokee. The steering wheel shudders (a lot) when braking between 60 and 80 kmph. Is this a symptom of warped rotors? We are planning on taking it to the dealer but would like to do our homework. Is this a common failing? Is there a recall?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • We bought a 1999 JGC and it has been problems since day one. We have had the brakes (rotors/pads) fixed twice, the rear differential fixed twice, paint peeled off the door, rear glass leaked, a whining in the transmission at 65 mph (which they tell me is the roof rack !) bushings replaced 3 times and rear shocks replaced. Needless to say, I am in the process of submitting info under the Lemon Law. If that does not work, I will definitely pursue legal action as this thing is a piece of *!@$@!. If anyone out there has had a positive experience in using the Lemon Law or suing over your GC, I would be interested to hear from you..... please e-mail me at anglingaround@msn.com.....

Thanks !
    John
  • b885574b885574 Posts: 2
    I am in discussions with the DC area rep regarding transmission problems that have had the "lemon" in the shop 5 times in a month. I have taken all the steps called for in the warranty book that came with the "lemon" and I believe I qualify under my state lemon law requirements. The DC rep finally called me and offered a new transmission or a replacement vehicle with some costs to me. He flatly stated that DC does not repurchase vehicles (bull). The car is in the shop right now and is not being repaired yet. Pending a decision by me.
    Question - how did anyone get a repurchase deal out of DC? If I have them get the car running again do I give up my right to get a repurchase agreement? HELP
  • I have heard that DC has in the past re-purchased vehicles but could not confirm for you. One interesting things I heard from a friend is that he said he "heard" that there is a group of folks that are starting a class action suit against DC in regards to Jeeps and their rotor/brake problems.... Unfortunately, he could not tell me any more than that... By the way, what transmission problems are you experiencing ??
  • jenjayjenjay Posts: 2
    We are considering purchasing a '98 JGC 5.9 Limited with 28,000 mi on it. Have read with interest the complaints on 1999-2001's but have not seen much on the '98. Anyone had experience with this vehicle. This would be for our college senior daughter who definately needs a 4X4. Thanks to anyone who can respond.
  • rogerm4rogerm4 Posts: 10
    interesting post # 56 regarding the possible class action suit over the rotors. bad rotors are also a common problem with GM vehicles. I just spent 600.00+ to replace rotors on my 1998 Blazer with only 29000 miles on it!! Got nowhere with the dealer and Chevrolet customer "service" dept. I would be interested in getting involved if anyone has anymore info on it. Many other vehicles having the same problem with warped and corroded rotors in new vehicles. NHTS web site has alot of complaints about the same topic.
  • fishrxmanfishrxman Posts: 31
    The 'Jeep Grand Cherokee' discussion has lots of good information especially about rotors and gear whine. Please see my posts in that discussion regarding gear whine. To jenjay: The Jeep Grand Cherokee was first built for the 1993 model year and was totally redesigned in 1999. Edmund's has excellent articles on how to purchase a used vehicle. I owned a '93 JGC Laredo for 7 years. Even with the few minor problems, it was a remarkably reliable vehicle for the first year of production. It was well maintained and all records were kept. I sold it to a friend at 115k miles and it's still going strong. You might also consider an after market warranty through Daimler-Chrysler.