Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• broccbrocc Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo White. So far my rotors warped at 7k and were rotated or switched or what ever they do to them, my brakes are now squeaking at 11k and dealership says its normal and my pads are not worn down.

I have paint chips on my hood, and edges of 2 doors. Dealer says they were caused by rocks etc. All my driving is city, highway & suburban not off-goading. I have owned cars for 20 years and never had paint chips occur or shall I say any that were noticeable. Last year I sold a 92 white Grand Am that didn't have a pic or scratch. Is there some sort of defect with the paint or clear coating etc?

Lastly, my sunroof visor covering is ripping in the front at places where it contacts the car when closed.

I am worried about the brakes the most, for obvious reasons. I don't know if I should believe the dealer or take the car to someone else to look at.
    Anybody else in the same boat?
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    try a junk yard lot cheaper than dealer just call around look in yellow pages auto recyclers
  • Bought a 1999 JGC late in the 99 year. Have had the rear end overhauled. Then we get to the vibrating problem! First time: front rotors turned. Second time: Front rotors turned new pads. Third time: Front and rear rotors replaced and new pads. Fourth time: Front rotors turned. Dealership is polite but don't think this is an ongoing problem with Jeeps. The brakes squeal all the time. This Jeep only has 27,000 miles and is gently driven. Definitely a bad choice and with this many problems recurring again and again with so many people means that Jeep should be held responsible for such poor quality.
  • sj6sj6 Posts: 13
    Hello, has anyone towed a 17' to 22' travel trailer with their GC? If so, any thought? My main concern is highway speeds and sway control.
    Thanks.
  • jc86jc86 Posts: 18
    I have a 95 JGC 6 cyl, does anyone know when the timing belt should be changed? It has 58K mile on it.
  • middel00middel00 Posts: 1
    I am a happy owner of a 1999 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 with 14000 miles on it.
    The only thing about wich i wonder if it is normal is the "bump" with is heard when i put the automatic gear in the rear.
    Can anyone tell me if he/she has the same experience and if it is normal?
    Thanks.
    (aj.middel@quicknet.nl )
  • aschmidt2aschmidt2 Posts: 1
    I too am looking at buying a '01 JGC. It is a very appealing vehicle, but I am concerned about all the problems listed. Most of them seem to be concerning the '99 model and I'm wondering if they've improved the quality over the last 2 model years. I currently own a '99 Oldsmobile Alero. It's a great car and fun to drive, but it has been in the shop more times than I can count. I can handle a few trips to the shop here and there, but I don't want know the Jeep service department as well as I know the Oldsmobile service department. Any advice or experience from owners of the '01's?
  • ehixson1ehixson1 Posts: 1
    I think the quality has been improving. Most of the problems I've read about so far have been on the '99 models. This shouldn't be suprising since its the first model year of a new design. I bought my 2000 JGC in Oct 1999 and has 29k miles. So far the driver side window has quit working twice. And right now I'm experiencing a problem with it pulling to the right. I had an alignment done but only the toe-in and toe-out adjustments can be made. Goodyear informed me that the Jeep does not allow for Caster and Camber adjustments. It still pulls to the right so maybe now I'll try rotating the tires. Other than that I've had no problems, just a couple of minor annoyances.

One question I have for anyone out there is this: I am alittle concerned about the depreciation value of the JGC. In Oct 2002 I plan to turn in my JGC otherwise I pay an 18k ballon payment. Edmunds says the car is worth 18k now (trade-in) and the '99 GJC is worth 15k now. This means I can assume that my Jeep will be worth about 15 k this time next year in which case it would benefit me to just hand over the keys instead of trying to sell it or trade it in. If I turn over the keys in Oct 2002 with the vehicle in perfect condition, will Chrysler try to nit-pick the JGC so they can gouge me for cash to make up the difference for what the car is really worth?
  • devlopperdevlopper Posts: 44
    Yes! You JGC owners out there that have not experienced the problems that the rest of us have are in for a shock when it comes time to get rid of it. My $34,000 vehicle, a 99 JGC with only about 20,000 miles is worth a little over half of what I paid! Guess what????? 13 months ago I hooked up with a competent lawyer and we sued under the lemon law. 3 weeks ago, Chrysler aggeed to settle. Full price less 10 cents per mile. I have been very lucky and learned two things:

1) Never again buy a new design on an American car

2) Never expect a good resale on a car that has such a large market share. Like the JGC, the Ford Explorer looses a great deal of value simply because of the large supply out there.

I am now the proud owner of a Lexus RX 300 and I wish the best to all of you!
  • byronskibyronski Posts: 4
    I reluctantly traded my Jeep 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 3 weeks ago for the new Mazda Protoge5. I got a trade in value of $21,000 here in Alabama on a fully loaded 2WD. I had to trade because I am back in school and couldn't afford the high monthly payment. Plus, to be honest, I could not stand driving the thing around knowing that people were driving 2001 models at 1.9% APR. I drove the Jeep for 27,000 miles and never had one problem. The V8 was top notch and I really miss the unlimited power. I am sorry to hear so many horror stories about the 99 models. I think part of the problems experienced were because of a lack of maintenance. In the owners manual the service intervals are sooner than people who drive small cars are used to. People have to understand that the wear and tear on these larger vehicles is much higher than that of a Honda Civic. I changed the transmission fluid at 12K miles and used Mobil 1 synthetic with every oil change. I also changed the rear differential fluid at 12K miles as stated in the manual. I think the window problems are history and as far as the steering column I never had one problem. Go buy one today, its the best SUV on the market in terms of power, handling and equipment. Plus, its the most macho looking ride on the road if you add some BF Goodrich AT tires!
  • lsyskolsysko Posts: 1
    read another comment. my rotors are warped at 7K also. dealer wants to recut them. i think chrysler should replace them. also have a squeal or a moan when i turn the wheel sharply left or right when vehicle is standing still. and my head rest keeps creeping up .was supposed to be fixed but wasn't. also anybody notice it's tough to keep it running in a straight line on the highway at 55 to 65 with out allmost feeling like you;re fighting the truck ?
  • bob_grahambob_graham Posts: 63
    I've had three Grand, 96, 98 and the 2001.

Never had any real problems with the first two, and when there was a problem, it was fixed the first time.

But now HELP!!! I have a Champagne LTD 2001 V-8 4X4, every option with 9100 miles.

Here is the list, If anyone has any ideas please HELP.

1. Brakes, mine started the vibration. The front cylinders were both leaking and the rotors were warped. Sounds like this will come back. They did say there was a service bulletin.

2. An intense vibration in the steering when you turn the wheel to the right, while stopped. This just started. They replaced the steering box assembly. Drove it for 15 miles and the problem was back. They started giving me that song and dance about this being normal.

3. When you turn right into a drive way you here a metal to metal snap. The dealer even heard the sound and then wrote on the repair order that they could not duplicate, another, this is normal line.

4. Stains appear on all the windows except for the windshield when water or dust gets on them. It's like some type of stain. They cannot remove this. I think it must be some chemical used in
    shipment.

5. Rough idle from time to time.

This is a shame that such a beautiful ride is turning into a nightmare. What get's me is the "could not duplicate" and "normal" lines.

I told them that I expect a car with 9100 miles on it to feel and drive EXACTLY like the other 2001 units sitting on the lot, and if they cannot fix the car then they should contact DC and start the process of returning the car.

By the way, if anyone is interested, I know a great group of attorneys in San Francisco that deal with massive failures of autos.

If you have heard of the Dodge Dakota CT then you know that DC lied to all of us about it's owning capacity. To make a long story short, we won in a court in LA.

The sad part is I love my Chrysler Products, I have a 94 RAM that is a great truck.

This may be the last straw, this time. maybe some of us should write the new President of DC.
  • I love this vehicle. Great pickup and has all the features anyone would want. No problems so far. (knock on wood) Hope they make a 7 passenger for 2002.
  • I too am beginning to see paint cracking on the hood of my black JGC. My brake rotors warped at 13k and the warranty only covers brakes to 12k. I just logged 20k miles and an starting to find that it's occasionally hard to start, especially when cold. And the most annoying thing - clicking windshield wipers. I've replaced the blades and the whole arm/blade combination 3 times. The clicking drives me CRAZY!
  • rms7rms7 Posts: 1
    Been reading about all the problems. I have a Black LTD 2001 V-8 4X4, every option with 3600 miles. Haven't had any brake/rotor problems yet but have experienced the following:

Front Axel Leaking
    It's currenty at the dealer because the left front axel is leaking. Not more than a weep but its still unacceptable. Service mgr says first one he's seen leaking. Can anyone dispute?

Rough Idle
    It idles a little rough and had the service manager sit in it when it was idling where he quickly responded "its normal".

Excessive Steering Wheel Movement
    The steering wheel moves excessively (1-2" radially) when going over bumps or uneven surfaces on paved roads. This is supposed to be an off road vehicle and I was expecting a more stout feel. Dealer says its because of the 17" wheels. Yeah right. Anyone experience similar?

Other than that its been ok.
  • janzjanz Posts: 129
    We had a 300 i. trip planned and about 45 minutes out of town, my husband nearly turned back, but he didn't and it was a nightmare. Will never do it again, way too unstable, especially when being passed by semi's. Stabilizer bars would be a necessity if we ever considered it again, but now that we have our new AC 2500HD Silver ado, we won't be pulling the trailer with the Jeep any more.

As to satisfaction, I am overdue in getting into the dealer ship for my warped rotors. It's a '99 Laredo, V8, QT II just hitting 20K at 22 months. The only time it's been in the shop, after a few small details at purchase, was for a recall on emission.

Am not excited to hear the answer to the rotor question, but aside from that I LOVE MY JGC!
  • trainiactrainiac Posts: 24
    Just drove a Limited, loaded V-8, Quadra drive, sunroof, soft leather, Patriot Blue and all the other stuff you'll never use. List price is $36,690, sell outright for #31,987, or with the 3.9% financing for 60 months. $32,987. Good deal or should I wait? Thanks.
  • gohuskiesgohuskies Posts: 40
    I had a 99 Grand Cherokee Limited that had a right pull problem. Jeep finally admitted that it was a Quadra-Drive problem after many alignment checks and the installation of factory provided off set ball joints.
    I drove a 01 with Quadra-Drive and it had the same right pull problem. Quadra-Trac and Select-Trac do not have the right pull problem. There was no Quadra-Drive cure when I went to arbitration and won in March of 01.
    Jeep sold my 99 at a Chrysler Dealer auction and then the dealer sold it to an unsuspecting buyer who was not apprised of the maintenance record/problems.
    The new owner found my insurance tag in the vehicle and called me. They had experienced some of the problems that prompted my arbitration hearing in their two days of ownership. They were headed back to the dealership after our conversation.
    All prospective buyers of used Chrysler products, from a dealer, should question and demand the entire vehicle record from the dealer to help determine vehicle reliability prior to finalizing a purchase. Buyer beware.
  • I'm looking at purchasing a 97 JGC Laredo. During the test drive a short time following shifting from 4wd back to 2wd the vehicle will buck slightly when cornering slowly.

The current owner said that the dealer told him this is common and it works itself out after a few minutes of continued driving. Which it did during my drive.

I'm concerned that there is a problem with the transmission or axle.

Anyone have this problem? And what action was taken?
  • rok9900rok9900 Posts: 4
    I need your help!! I'm looking at a leftover 2000 ZR2 with everything but a sonroof and a 98' Grand Cherokee Limited V8 w/36,000 miles and every option known to man. The ZR2 price is $23,000 and the Cherokee is $18,900. I drive 45,000 miles a year and often have about 400-500 lbs. in the truck. I love the Cherokee for the toys, 4 doors and liftgate. I love the ZR2 because it's brand new and reinforced chassis. If anyone knows, just how special is this ZR2 package?
    Is it that big of a difference? I need whichever one will last longer and be tougher. Please HELP!