Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• cskicski West Springfield, VAPosts: 1,043
    I must apologize for being a wise-guy.

The 92-2004 models (ZJ and WJ) are equipped with the venerable 4.0 liter inline 6 (I6) engine. The WK (05-2010) and WK2 are both offered with V6 engines. The WK with the 3.7 liter, 215HP V6, and the WK2 with the new 3.6 liter Pentastar engine producing 290HP.

The 3.6 is now offered in almost all Chrysler, Doge and Jeep models, either standard or optional in depending on the vehicle. It is a thoroughly modern engine, producing anywhere between 280-305 HP, depending on the plumbing in multiple vehicles.

I tried to be a wise guy, telling a user there is no V6 engine in GC's. I meant the ZJ and WJ models, since those vehicles seem to need more repairs and maintenance than the newer models.

I apologize

-Chris :blush:
  • joe3djoe3d Posts: 17
    Hello, is there anyway to remove the trunk floor? I spilled some liquid in the trunk and need to clean it out. I already have removed the cargo lid that accesses the spare tire nut, but I see there are odd looking screws in four places around the trunk area. It doesn't look like regular screws or allen wrench screws. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Joe
    edited November 2011
    Man. That is a new one.

The floor is welded in...and is part of the body/structure of the vehicle. If you are speaking of the carpet I suppose you can tear it out. If you do a good job, you can cut a new piece and install it. .
    ****I Googled it for you, checked at least 5 places, and the 4 screws were not mentioned. You need to know that THE GAS TANK IS UNDER THE SPARE TIRE. Do NOT cut out the metal floor unless you want a spark to catch the vehicle on FIRE!!****

There is no mention of a "procedeure" to cut it out, & furthermore I bet those screws hold the gas tank under the truck. I looked up gas tank removal, and this is what was mentioned:
    "Remove the bolts which hold the tank against the bottom of the Cherokee with a socket wrench. Mounting bolts are located at the back and at the front of the tank"

Did you spill gas in the trunk..like a gas can fell over? Hard to get those fumes out. Good luck. :confuse:
    cski, thanks for your reply and concern. First off, I have a 2005 JGC I failed to mention that in my first post. This might be the last time I pick up food for the family parties. I had a large seafood tray called Zuppa di Pesce. It's like a soup. OF course, I took precautions with a drop cloth underneath but it wasn't enough. I shampooed the carpet but I know some fell through the creases around the outskirts of the trunk. Just imagine that stench! I might be out of luck if it's welded but I will look again later today. I will keep you posted with the results. Thanks, Joe
    edited November 2011
    Well, just steam clean the whole trunk area. I would use one of the industrial units that can be rented at grocery stores.

I will be a lot cheaper than cutting out the carpet!

It's either that, or 10 bottles of Febreeze mixed with those little pine-tree mirror things... :sick:
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,919
    edited November 2011
    I'd skip the pine-trees and their chemical out-gassing.

Fresh coffee grounds are great for masking odors while the Febreeze or steam cleaner works, but you have to replenish them every few days.
  • I don't know about the coffee thing.... spilled coffee in my cupholders always stinks forever... :sick:

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

lol, try some grounds, not a cup of Starbucks. :P
    You got it fish! A full-size trey of soupy fish. I did shampoo it with my green machine cleaner and it smells better but it's not there yet. I'm concerned it seeped in where the carpet meets the plastic molding and where those 4 sets of machine screws are around the cargo hatch. Thanks for all the cleaning ideas. The coffee sound interesting but I will try some the new fabreeze or baking soda next. Thanks, Joe
    Eww.

Yeah, the coffee grounds would just mask the odor; you need something to get rid of it for good.
    So, I ordered a new ashtray and heated seat module, as it was $35 from eBay motors instead of just the heated seat switch, which costs $75 from the dealer. The drivers side switch was broken. The passenger side was fine..or so I thought.

Excited, I installed the new module, and sure enough my seat fired rite up.... unfortunately the passenger side did not.

So, since I have 1 good switch in the old module, I am going to swap switches. Do repairs on the WJ models EVER end? :sick:
  • Lately whenever it gets below around 50 my evic ( temp, compass tire pressure) completely stops working.... Any ideas?
  • Just got some body work done (replaced rear passenger door). On my drivers side in the lower right hand corner of the rear door there is small flat panel that is barely noticeable, however, the replacement door has no small panel in the corressponding left hand lower corner...

Is there supposed to be? I have been looking for a 2011 jeep all day and cant find it...murphy's law...
  • I have a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I connected the battery cables backwards so now I have the same problem you do.. I removed fuse 5 but nothing will work...
  • First of all I connected the battery backwards. When the spark occurred I immediately disconnected the cables. Now when I take the key out of the ignition a clicking noise comes from the glove box. The clicking stops when I close the door. I removed #5 fuse but now the door locks don't work, nor do the inside lights...Any idea what I need to do. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    I think you blew the Body Control Unit..which is a companion computer with the ECU (Engine). It controls all the electrical system (all the little things that no one thinks about) inside the cabin. Buy one online for $150.00 to $200.00, already formatted and programmed.

The body computer is in the glove box along with a bunch of relays. It may just be the breaker IN FRONT of the body computer...which would blow to protect the body computer, but 99% of techs will replace the BCU.
    I do not have a service manual on me but this is a pretty good guess.
  • chrysler says noise in pump is normal and put up with it seems it's a case of head in the sand.. Has anyone else reported this problem; pump is used in 2011- 2012 v-6 applications. I was told to buy the v-8 if I didn't want the noise.
  • We have a 93 Jeep Grand C. and the auto lights work as far as the sensor goes but the only lights that come on are the running lights. The headlights do not come on. They do if you manually move the switch to the manual position so my thought is that the relay is probable defective but am not sure which relay to replace. Was hoping someone also knows if there is another relay exactly the same that could be swapped in a test.
  • It sounds like your anti-theft system is disabling the car, thinking it has been stolen. i am no mechanic but this used to happen to me every time I let a battery die and it needed jumped in my 95 grand. As soon as you have juice flowing, use your remote, or the key in the door is better, to "unlock" it thus turning off the anti-theft, then continue to jump and start it. that should do it. Your car thinks it is being stolen.
  • mat11mat11 Posts: 1
    i have a 95 grand cherokee and whenever i disconect the battery and i hook it back up the alarm gets set off dont ask me why im no mechanic it just does and for my model/year i have to turn the lock in the back of the suv twice to rest the alarm.. hope it helps