Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I have a 2000 Laredo that had the same problem. The new Akebono calipers are supposed to correct the problem (there is a technical service bulletin on the issue) but there is no warranty for the old ones.

I did two things that really helped. I found that the holes for the caliper slide pins were obstructed, causing the caliper to seize to the pins. At 38k miles, I removed the caliper and spun a properly sized drill bit in each slide pin hole. By properly sized, I mean a bit that was sized exactly to the hole diameter at the outside of the caliper. As I spun the drill bit manually, I found that it hung up as I moved the bit through the slide pin hole. It appeared that the original machining left a burr about halfway through. I removed the burr and reinstalled the pins after coating them with a good anti seize compound. New rotors were also installed. I repeated the process on the rear calipers at 60 k miles and added new rotors as well.

I now have 98k miles on my Jeep. The right front rotor warped slightly about 10k miles ago but the Jeep is still very driveable. The rears rotors have not warped at all. Next time around, I'll check the right front caliper for obstruction and repeat the process if necessary.

So instead of 2-5k miles per set of front rotors, I now have 60k on them. The rears have 30k. the pads were replaced on both axles at the mileage indicated.

If you are not mechanically inclined, this job is perhaps not for you. Otherwise, the de burring, pad and rotor replacement took all of 30 minutes per side.
  • Your fuel pump mounting gasket is possibly the culprit. If the fuel pump has ever been replaced, chances are that the tech didn't get the pump properly seated. This happened to my GC and it took the tech three attempts to get it done properly. It is one of those jobs that takes some very close attention.

Also check the hoses on the filler neck. The may be loose.
  • corcor Posts: 27
    What I'm now being told is that w/23.9k my REAR rotors are SHOT!! the service manager is telling that just to replace the rotors; not pads is going to be like 360.00, in addition to another 150.00 for rotors. I'm am also being told that it is common for them to need to be replaced around this time. is this true?
  • jcd04jcd04 Posts: 2
    When the headlights are set in the auto position the headlights occasionally come on. Ex. Driving on a sunny day they will come on and about one second later turn off. This may happen several times in a matter of minutes, and then no problems for the rest of the trip. I've also walked by it in the garage and had the lights come on. I opened the door to see if the keys were in the ignition (they weren't) and noticed the open door chime as if I had left the keys in it.

I've read a few other stories about this issue on this site, but has anyone had any success at determining the cause. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    John
  • abrownabrown Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Grand Cherokee with a 100,000 miles on it. Recently, I've got a terrible rotten smell coming from the vent system. It doesn't matter whether I turn the air on or the heater; in both cases it smells very badly. I took the car to a couple places and they are puzzled. One place said there is a leak in the evaporator and I have to replace it and take the whole front dash off (6 to 7 hours of work). Another place said it could be a heater problem and they have to take it apart (8 hours or more). Any suggestions from anyone who had a similar problem? Thank you in advance. Alexia
  • dms032dms032 Posts: 1
    Yes this is a common problem with GC I am now the proud owner of my 2nd GC I owned a 00 and had the same problem you are having goto the National Traffic and Highway Safety website and complain if we get enough complaints maybe jeep will fix the problem I just purchased an 04 special edition and I am hoping the problem is fixed what I also did is on my 00 I went and bought some aftermarket rotors and installed them myself.
  • janzjanz Posts: 129
    I got them replaced for the second time on my '99 when I was out of warranty on time, but still uner 36K, because I'd had a previous rotor service. My local 5* dealer said that the problem was that the CALIPERS were not releasing sufficiently causing excessive heat and warping the rotors. All were replaced for a $50 co-pay because of the previous service. If you do a search on this string, there is TSB on the subject from a couple of years ago. I'd thought that was fixed by '04. Guess not.
  • My 1999 Laredo has the exact same problem! And searching the internet today for a solution revealed a lot of other 99 Laredos have the same problem. I don't know how many instances have to occur before a recall is made, but it sounds like there should be one.

First time it happened, I just walked by the Jeep and the lights came on. I opened the door and the keys weren't in the ignition. Then they went off. They came on and went off several times that night, and then stopped. Don't know how many times this has occurred and I never knew it was happening. Then last night my neighbor called to tell me my lights were on. I looked out my window and they weren't on. Later I got another call saying they were still on. Again, I went out to turn them off and they weren't on. Later my son came in and said my lights were on in the Jeep. I looked out and saw them go off. So I switched it from auto to manual and the problem stopped.

Of my search on the internet today, I only found three people who say they've solved the problem. One said it was a short in the wiring behind the break pedal. The other two said they replace the headlight switch and the problem went away. I haven't got around to investigating either solution. Let me know if you do and what you find.
  • I have a 2000 JGC with 75K on it - right now in shop with fuel pump being replaced - dealership replaced and worked for 1 week and ran out of gas cuz sending unit was faulty supposedly not sure if mechanic was faulty or what but anyway I am concerned that I should be trading in since it appears that Jeep or Chrysler doesn't have a good track record for reliability or am I wrong! I really like my jeep and was wondering what others thought about keeping or trading in for a 2005? or maybe a different vehicle - what do people thing?
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    In almost every case it will cost less money to keep your present car than it will to buy a new one. If you are not paying cash you likely have a loan payment of at least $350/month. Will your current GC require $4200 worth of repairs per year? I doubt it. You must also factor in depreciation-make it $5000-$10000 the first year on a new car. The cheapest way to own a car is to buy a good two or three year old used car and drive it into the ground. My advice? If you like your GC, keep it.
  • corcor Posts: 27
    Thanks..... I did find the TSB, but it was only for models up to 2002. I spoke w/my dealer here and he claimed that they had fixed the problem the TSB was made for. I think what I am going to do is simply get some aftermarket rotors and try my luck w/those.
  • I also have a 2000 Grand Cherokee with 40,000 miles, and was about ready to sell it for something newer (NOT another Jeep!), but I agree that even with repairs, it's probably cheaper to keep the Jeep than to buy a newer car. Like you, I like the Jeep when it's running, but after about 35,000 miles, it's one repair after another. Guess I got spoiled driving Hondas and Toyotas for many years; keep them tuned up and they just go and go and go.... I hate to compare Chrysler products with Japanese brands, because the quality in Japanese cars is so much superior it isn't even a fair comparison.
  • ltlqdltlqd Posts: 1
    I'm seriously considering buying a 2005 JGC but have been reading posts about problems people have had. My fiance & I had bought one in 1997 but Chrysler bought it back after 4 months because it was a lemon. We got a durango instead. I like the size and look of the new JGC and was just wondering if you all had the chance would you buy your JGC again? Thanks!
  • hi, 04 JGC Ltd. less than 12K on it and I've been hearing whistling coming from the outside of my car when driving around. I can hear it well when I am driving near a wall or a curve without much traffic because the sound bounces back. First time when I went to the dealership, the tech said it was the drive shaft so he lubed it and told me they would replace the drive shaft if the sound comes back. It was never fixed and I brought the car back after two months in time to do another oil change. However, this time they just disregard the fact that I was told in person by the technician what they were going to do if the problem persisted and tells me they cannot duplicate the problem.

It whistles after about 10mph and you can hear it especially well when you let go of the gas pedal because the engine noise reduces a lot. First when I heard it it would just do it when I start driving it, now I hear it all the time when I roll down the window driving around.

Anyone have a similar problem where you hear a whistlling? It's not a uniform whistle, but sort of goes up and down. Imagine a cricket sound with instead your whistling. IT sounds like it's coming from the bottom..

I don't understand why they can't duplicate. It's retarded. I pay $700/month and this is what I get. Every time I take it in for an oil change, it takes at least a couple of days to get it back. First when I started to have problems with the car (like steering wheel clicking that simply cannot get fixed after a few tries, wheels creaking/crakcing, other annoying noises, etc) I told myself, these aren't powertrain problems so it wouldn't affect how my car runs, but after over a year with such problems, I've had it. I seriously advise people buying from Jeep. As a matter of fact, I will never buy another American gas-guzzler. I will buy a damn Japanese instead. One of more of this Jeep and if more problems occur/persist, I'm going to file an official complaint and use whatever I can to get rid of it at the expense of Chryslter.
  • 04jgc04jgc Posts: 1
    I hear a faint chatter or clicking noise when I apply the brakes on my 2004 Grand Cherokee. After a long run around and a week at my local 5* dealer they diagnosed the problem a pebble in the parking brake assembly and they determined that there was nothing wrong with the brakes. The next day after I brought it home the noise started again. I would appreciated any replies.
  • 2005 Grand Cherokee 3.7L dies while driving (most while turning). Dealer replaced crankshaft position sensor as most likely source of problem, but it recurred. Most times were while not warmed up, but last time car had warmed up. Any similar problems by others?
  • I purchased my 04 Laredo in Nov, 2003.
    At 21,000 miles, my HVAC vac hose went which controlled the cruise control and the blower directional. Just wondered if anyone else has come across this problem?
  • I just went over 8000 miles and have had pulsating brakes at higher speeds for about 2 months now, along with a noise when I turn left and a clicking noise in the steering column on the highway. Sounds like I am in for lots of repair costs...
  • tloke1tloke1 Posts: 185
    Why are you in for "lots of repair costs" when your vehicle is still under warranty?
  • tloke1tloke1 Posts: 185
    Yes, I would definitely buy one again, and again and again. I have owned three so far and have had minimal problems. I love the drive comfort, power, easy-to-use features and everything else about the Jeep. That's why it's one of the best selling SUV's and has been since it came out in 1993.

Pick any vehicle by any manufacturer and then read some of the posts here on Edmunds. You can spend months reading but you will never, repeat never, find a vehicle without problems. Toyota, Nissan, Acura, Honda, no one is immune. Some may "rate" better in reliability reports but a lot of that is subjective. And a lot of those reports do not factor in the severity of problems. There is a big difference, for example, between a Jeep that has a fixable driveline noise and a 4Runner that has a sulfur smell that in so many cases cannot be fixed.

When shopping for a vehicle, buy what you like, buy what is the most comfortable to drive, buy what has the features you like most. There are satisfied owners and there are dissatisfied owners for each and every brand out there.