Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• paulepaule Posts: 382
    Try grasping it firmly and twisting it in a counterclockwise motion (i.e.: it just unscrews). That's the way it is on my '98.
  • bbrown2bbrown2 Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 JGC that is doing the same whistle. I noticed that it only does it when I am not pressing on the gas. I am actually taking it in Friday to see what is up. I think it is probable a belt.
  • what abou thte push button, what happend to that
  • mvinhmvinh Posts: 1
    My brakes lights do not come on even after I checked the fuse and the lights. Do you know if it could be the relays or something wrong with the brake lights? I have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    Check the brake light switch. A bad one can cause all sorts of mischief.
  • gregoryc1gregoryc1 Posts: 766
    youn0813, ----- Sorry I did not get back to you sooner, I just noticed your posting. Our 1995 Jeep GC, (leased NEW), was the vehicle from hell! ---- It had drive train problems, (a very loud HUM from the front differential at 55 mph, and it would get LOUDER and the speed increased). The dealer replaced two sets of gears, and finally the whole differential assembly before the noise could be eliminated. This process took numerous visits to the dealer, (no loaner vehicles available). The Jeep had electrical problems. If I stopped at a gas station, and shut off the engine while filling the tank, I would loose all electrical accessories when re-starting the engine. To regain the electrical accessories, I had to shut off the engine, and restart the engine. The brake rotors warped. There was a noise in the suspension / drive train when backing up that the dealer could NEVER locate. When I complained to the factory rep. about the "quality of the vehicle", and the money we were paying for a vehicle of such poor quality, he said: --- "I don't care how much money your are paying"! The tread on one of the original equipment tires peeled from the casing. (There was no puncture). This happened on the N.J. Turnpike at 5:00AM at 55 mph. YES, our 1995 Jeep GC was a poor quality vehicle. I would NEVER own another Jeep product.
  • xscoutxscout Posts: 141
    I had a similar problem on my 1997 GC. After many experiments I found it to be the bearing assembly. Cost is about $140 at NAPA and is an easy replacement job with standard tools (socket set).
    On the oil leak issue, check the PCV valve / system. If it is not operating properly, the engine will build up pressure in the crankcase, and it will develop oil leaks.-----Make SURE you are using the correct PCV valve. Go by the part numbers, NOT THE OUTSIDE APPEARANCE OF THE VALVE! Not all valves that look the same on the outside, are the same on the inside.
    I would check the fuel pressure and the fuel pump volume. I think you might have a problem with the electric fuel pump or a clogged fuel filter. How much mileage on the vehicle?
  • Were you able to figure out what the problem is? My jeep's doing exactly the same thing. My 2003 JGC also has an alarm that seems to be going off when we start it. It's not like a security alarm. But, it's like an alarm clock (kind of).

Thanks!
  • jodikinsjodikins Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Sometimes the turn signals work and sometimes they dont. When they work, the hazards work, but when the blinkers dont work, neither do the hazards. The brake lights and headlights work fine. I replaced the multipurpose switch and checked my fuses, bulbs and connections. The signals will work for a couple days then all of a sudden they wont work for a few weeks. It seems if they do work, then i leave it sit for a little while and drive again, they wont work. But when I drive it for about 45 minutes, they turn on. Lately they arent working at all. Anyone got any suggestions??
    Thanks,
    Jodi
    It sounds to me like a poor ground or a poor connection somewhere.
    I'd start with the turn signal\hazard fuse. Pull it out and clean the terminals.
    I'd also pull all four turn signal bulbs and clean the bases and put them back in.
    I'd bet that will fix it.
  • I have had 6 Jeeps starting with 1984 to my current 1999 GC with 110,000 miles on it. They have all been good to me and I loved them all (with the exception of the 1984 which had the gm 4 cylinder engine..it couldn't pull a child's wagon!)

All you have to do is look at older Toyota's, Lexus's, Nissan's, and whatever else to see the much better quality and durability of the JEEP.

It is too bad that our military got sucked in by the Hummer which is a very poor military vehicle...too big to manuever with any agility and very unstable.
    Sorry, I gave you bad advice. I was confusing my Jeep with my wife's Prelude which I did remove the shift lever on a few months back.

The shifter appears to be a complete assembly where you cannot just remove the plastic handgrip. On my vehicle you would have to unbolt the whole assembly (shifter, metal mounting plate, etc.).

I can't see how you would just remove the handgrip.
    Just out of curiosity, why do you want to remove the handgrip?
  • I need to ask a question of a Jeep 4 speed transmission expert. How do I post a question for that?
    Thanks
    Jim
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    How do I post a question for that?

Just type it in the same way you posted your first question! You might also try posting in Jeep Grand Cherokee problems.

Good luck!

tidester, host
    I am VERY happy that you had success with Jeep vehicles. Some of us did not have a good experience with our Jeep GC, so we are sharing our experience. That is not "bashing". It is simply "telling the truth"!
  • magothymagothy Posts: 3
    If you see oil puddles under your 2005 GCJ after having your oil changed, do not despair. Apparently, the front bumper has a stupid design including some sort of shield attached to it - ultimately collecting oil as it is being drained and voila: oil spots under your newly serviced 2005 Jeep. Dealers are learning about this problem as the first 2005s arrive for their first oil change and and learning to clean up the "designer's" mistake.
  • 97 Laredo. Engine started cutting out intermittently at slow speeds. Eventually Jeep garage fitted new pcu after new battery and coil. Still problem exists maybe only once every 2 weeks. Now say need new O2 sensor as check engine light has came on. Not confident with garage. Any ideas?
    Check the following:
    Battery cables, (make sure all the grounds are clean and tight in the engine compartment).
    Vacuum hoses, (make sure you do not have any leaks).
    Spark plug wires, (make sure they are in good shape. With the engine at idle, in a dark area, open the hood and see if you see sparks jumping from the wires.)
    Air filter & air induction system, (check all the connections)
    PCV valve, (check the valve and all the hoses)
    Take the ignition key off your key ring. Start the engine, and gently shake the key while the engine is at idle. You might have a worn ignition switch!
    Check all the electrical connections under the hood. Make sure everything is clean and tight. With the engine running, shake the wiring gently to see if the engine cuts out.
    How much mileage on the engine? Pull the spark plugs and check the condition.