Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I simply drilled a 1/4" hole through the back of the plastic collector box, (the circle at the bottom of the V under the A/C unit, inside the car) and ran a rod through the drain from inside the car. Then covered the hole with a piece of "moulding tape" which you can get just a short piece at your local body shop. It has held up all summer very well, and no more water in the back seat.
  • I have a "98" JGC that had a similar problem AFTER a $2000 trans rebuild. Turns out that ATRA (Automatic trans. rebuilders association) sent out a bulletin that states that the trans cooler return line has a check valve in it, and it should be removed, to avoid rear planetary failure due to overheating. Problem is, once you remove the check valve, the convertor drains down over night, and has to refill in the morning. After two trips back to the rebuild shop, and threatening to make the problem public via our local tv station, they put the check valve back in, and things seem to be OK, for now.
    Sounds like you may have a stuck check valve, and the rear planetary set IS overheating which is causing fluid failure, and the sticky down shifts. Even though the Jeep repair shop estimated a higher cost to rebuild my tranny, I spent more in the long run by trying to save a few bucks. By the way, Jeep Corp. service hot line did not know of any service bulletins regarding this check valve failure, even though ATRA claimed it came straight from Jeep. Good luck.
  • HELP!!!!!!
    I had a little fender bender last night. I have a 98 Grand Cherokee 4.0 in line 6, and after being rear-ended now the truck won’t start.
    I have checked all the fuses in side the cab and in the engine compartment, checked if the fuel pump was not working, checked cables connections,
    Un-plugged the battery terminal from the battery to see if the computer reset it self.
    I still haven’t got it to start; does any body know what the heck is going on????
    Reply A.S.A.P.
    Thanks
    Mark.
  • I have a '93 JGC with 5.2L that just won't make it back on the road. After sitting for 4 months after a host of engine problems took it out of service, crank position sensor, ignition coil, timing chain slack, oil leaks, now that the engine is running perfectly it won't drive in anything but 4low or reverse! The vehicle was driving fine, as far as the transmission was concerned, before the hiatus but now won't go into 4hi. It makes some sounds like it is attempting the process for a sec or two, and then gives up and won't go in. The vehicle is just shy of 300k miles, and I'd hate to mindlessly rebuild the tranny or transfer case without ruling out electronics. Anyone with any ideas/experiences would be greatly appreciated. :cry:
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    I recommend posting your message in the "No Start" Problems discussion. Electronic Gremlins: Electrical Problems That Are Driving You Crazy may also be helpful. Good luck!

tidester, host
  • Update: I was misinformed... apparently it drives only in 1st gear, in both 4hi and 4low. It has the 46RH transmission - fully-hydraulic.
  • wal4wal4 Posts: 4
    Good luck my friend I'm living your pain. I just paid 560.00 to have the Trans Governer pressure sensor replace for that same problem. And a week later they tell me that my trans needs to be rebuilded. 2300$ smacks.

will

:cry:
    What's new, the transmission from hell If your engine light comes on run to the dealer or try to sell your Jeep Grand because it will run you about a grand to get it fix. 1st gear 2nd gear no gears. two days and 2300.00$ later hopefully I'll be driving again.

:sick:
  • I have a 2002 JC and I am going through your exact problem. 5 days after spending $1300 on the 60,000 mile maintenance and a new Trans Governer the car suddenly shifts into Overdrive of which I can't push the button to turn it off. Next the Trans Heating sensor goes off. I am waiting to see what the damage will be. Was any of your repairs covered by warranty? :mad:
  • I have a 99 JGC and modified the housing below the headlight. I took the headlight out and cut out a hole in the floor of the black plastic housing creating an access to the relay. Makes it a lot easier to replace next time!
  • I've had the same experience, but no advice. Differentials checked, transfer case checked, universal joints replaced, steering damper checked, rear wheel bearings replaced, new tires ... same problem. Wuhm, wuhm, wuhm, wuhm .......
  • 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7L 20k

I appreciate any assistance you may provide. I recently purchased the above vehicle and have been very content with it. However, recently I have noticed a squeaky noise when I hit a slight bump, emanating from the rear right quadrant of the car. It seems like it is around the right wheel. IN other words, as the car bounces, it squeaks with the bounce....a lot like jumping up and down on a bed. We brought it to the dealer (under warranty) and they lubed it, but the problem remains. Any suggestions or ideas about what might be wrong?

Thanks for your help!
  • I hear the same noise on my 2005 GCL Laredo. I haven't gone through all the possibilities though such as removing the trunk cover.
  • Hi There...

I have 1999 Grand Cherokee and today I got the similar problem and symptoms,

engine cranks but won't start, gas gauge reads empty, no fuel pump sound on ignition start, .....so did you ever find out the cause of the no start?

I heard the crank sensor is a possible cause......what was your problem?????
  • Hi there

Did the crank sensor do the job ? Where crank sensor located ? How did you replace it?
  • Further to my no start problems....on the instrument panel there was an ignition key circle and check gauges sign, as well as gas gauge empty and on fuel pump sounds
  • Did you have any problems with the ECM module after your modification to the plug?
  • I am having the same problems with my Jeep. It appears that this has happened before as the hole and plug are already there. I pulled the plug out but can't seem to dislodge the obstruction. I have used compress air etc. but still no go! When I prod with a wire through the hole it feels as if there is a rubber hose on the other side. I guess I don't know which direction I should be going with the wire as I don't know where the drain hose goes? I sure could use some help as my floor board is standing in water and smells!!
  • I have a '95 JGC with 144k miles on it and I just had the water pump replaced after it over heated a few weeks ago because I hadn't been checking the fluid and the anti-freeze exploded in it and I opened the hood and there was just fluid everywhere, I let it cool down and tried to drive it home but it stalled out not even half way there and would not start again. I replaced the thermostat and that helped the overheating, but it still dripped a little anti-freeze on the ground once in a while. We replaced the water pump and everything was fine for about a week and just today something with the oil exploded and I looked underneath and there was just oil all over everything and I can't find where it is coming from. Anyone with this problem or any help, please any of it.

Thanks,
    G
    I wish my problem happen at 60,000 . I'm not sure if it's covered, my warranty was up at 75,000 miles. My problem started that way. The overdrive light will go out by turning your car off but don't drive it go straight to the dealer. The trans is overheating. It's not your overdrive button. Don't TAKE ANY CHANCES. Please let me Know what they found. I hope one day we will all be part of a class action case and get all the money back. :mad:
  • paulepaule Posts: 382
    I'm kind of guessing on this one but your vehicle may have an auto shutdown relay (ASR) which shuts off fuel to the engine after a collision.
    You could try doing a web search or call your Jeep dealer and ask the service manager if that sounds right and how you can reset it.
  • paulepaule Posts: 382
    That doesn't sound good. If you drove it after running it out of antifreeze, you probably cracked the block. Sounds like it's time for a new engine to me.
  • Gas gauge shows empty but it is full of gas.
    Engine cranks and turnsover ok.
    "Ignition Key circle" shows on dash.
    "Check gauge" message shows on dash.

But the engine cannot start..PLEASE HELP if you can..... :cry:
  • The reverse lights on my jeep have been out for a while. Inspection is coming up next month and I would like to repair this soon. Looking through the Chilton Repair manual, they do not cover this subject. (The wiring diagram is missing the reverse lights). My first investigation reveals this is not activated with shifter inside the car, so now I am looking at the transmission. Anyone know which sensor could be out? I have my eye on the transmission, driver side up front that is suspect due to the frayed wires. Or is it like the CJ where I have drop the tranny and pull some box out and clean it.
    thanks
  • Hi, (1997 JGC Laredo)
    I did the same thing (1/4" dia hole) and ran a clotheshanger wire through it. I thought I saw some water on the ground later, but the next long trip there it was again, sloshing under both the front and rear passenger carpets. I lifted the carpets again and they are showing signs of rotting.
    Where is the outlet located? I notice posts mentioning a kinked outlet hose, but I cannot find it.
    The evaporator was replaced by Kings Jeep in St. Louis three years ago as a recall, and as they scratched every bezel they could find, broke the gear shift cover AND put the dampers back the wrong side, I took it back. They refused to acknowledge responsibility so I had another dealer fix it ($900!) and document it. I have since filed suit against them.
    Are they responsible for the leaking water as well?
    Step.
    :(
  • Ok Jumping it finally worked, but i still hear a high pitch noise coming from the engine when i hit the gas. If anyone knows what that could be please let me know. Thanks
  • The AP is reporting today that Chrysler will recall 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokees in October because of water contamination in the transmission that can cause overheating and a fire under the hood. The recall will affect more than 100,000 2005's with the 3.7 engine and the NAG1 ( W5A580 ) transmission. Water from the a/c can enter the trans at the dipstick hole, causing the trans to slip or shudder and overheat to the point of starting a fire. This problem was previously discussed in TSB 21-011-05A. If your trans is slipping or shuddering, then you should take it to the dealer immediately. Several members of this forum have reported having this problem -- but luckily no reported fires - in the recent past.

"Never buy a car in its first model year."

Detroit News has the AP item at: http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0509/16/01-317608.htm
  • Well, this may be of no relevance however, there was a recall on my '97 JGC for faulty reading from fuel pump. Additionally, my check gauges has come on whenever gauges are way over/ under the expected values (had a bad battery which gave me all sorts of electrical gremlins such as int. pegged voltage gauge readings.

I'm wondering if the security (chip in your ign. key) "feature" might be the problem which Ign. key circle fault may be indicating and preventing you from firing though still allowing you to turn it over.

Just some random thoughts...

Melonman
  • I had the same problem with my '01. Would "lurch" slightly right before it came to a complete stop, then wouldn't downshift properly. Developed a "work around" in that I just pulled the trans down manually with the shifter. Eventually had it repaired...I think they replace to trans governor pressure sensor that someone else mentioned for about $500. No further trouble.
  • thanks for the heads up...Should I be concerned with my 05 JGC limited with the 4.7 liter V8? I also had the same problem with water infiltration but the dealership fixed it. What will exactly happens during a recall anyway?