Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• cjaubertcjaubert Posts: 17
    First, let me say that I LOVE my 2000 JGC Limited 4x4. It has been AWESOME in every respect. I have one problem, though, that I need help with. When I turn the steering wheel full left, the four wheel drive seems to "walk" or bounce as the vehicle moves. The dealer tells me this is normal and that there is no repair. Is the dealer correct? If not, what is the repair and how do I explain to him that he is wrong? Thank you.
  • isomanisoman Posts: 11
    I HAVE A 2000 JGC AND IT HAS BEEN PROBLEM FREE. HAVE NOT HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT UNTIL RECENTLY. THE FRONT SEAT BELTS WOULD NOT RETRACT FULLY AND SEEMED TO HAVE POOR TENSION. I TOOK IT BACK TO THE DEALER AND THEY REPLACED THE RETRACTORS AND THE SEAT BELTS. WORKED FINE FOR ABOUT A MONTH AND NOW THEY ARE DOING IT AGAIN. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM.
  • I have a 98 JGC SE 4x4 with 53K miles. It sometime stalls when i back it up from a cold start if i do not let it warm a few minutes. Every once in a while if the gas gage is at 1/2 tank, when i start the jeep it drops to zero for 10 sec and back to 1/2 tank but thats only a few times. Also, its happened 3 times recently if im stopped then try to go their will be a hesitation then it "kicks" in gear at least thats what it feels like. Anyone have the slippage feel and know what it might be???
  • rivolvorivolvo Posts: 2
    Hi,

Just bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. Love it so far.
    However, when its cold the engine kind of "jumps" into gere when
    first starting off. This goes away as soon as the engine is warm.

Anyone have a similar problem or know what might be causing this?

Thanks.
  • bpack1bpack1 Posts: 1
    I bought my 99' JGC, used with about 25,000 miles on it. It now has 52,000 miles and no problems. I think everyone needs to remember Jeep's history is not that of a street vehicle or a daily commuter. It is that of off-road vehicles. From trail riders to heavy rock-crawling. I see everyone posting messages about it being too loud on the highway for the cost of the vehicle. Well if you want a luxurious smooth quiet ride then buy yourself a Mercedes. Jeeps are built and meant for off-road use. My only repair after 1yr, 27,000 miles and heavy off-road use was the front u-joints. Now, I'm not saying there are no lemons out there, just don't buy oranges if you want to have apple juice. Don't buy a Jeep unless you plan on using it off-road.
  • MY JGC LAREDO HAS BROKEN DOWN THREE TIMES IN TWO YEARS, A WEEK IN THE SHOP EACH TIME. AND RECALLED ONCE. IN JUST TWO YEARS. IN THE FIRST SIX MONTHS, MY TRANSMISSION THEN MY ELECTRICAL SYSTEM BLEW. NOW MY ROTATOR CUPS ON MY BRAKES BLEW JUST BY GOING DOWN A HILL. I TOOK IT TO THE DEALER AND THEY WERE GOING TO CHARGE ME $42 JUST TO TAKE A LOOK. THE COMPANY IS COMPLETELY UNPROFESSIONAL AND UNFRIENDLY. I WISH I HAD SOMEONE TELL ME TO AVOID THE CHEROKEE BEFORE I WENT OUT AND GOT ONE. BUILT "JEEP TOUGH". YEAH RIGHT.
  • LITTLE POST NOTE TO MY MESSAGE ABOVE. WHILE AT THE DEALERSHIP, I BROUGHT UP THE DATELINE THAT WAS ABOUT THE SEATBELTS IN CHEROKEES. THEY BASICALLY SAID IT'S LIKE WEARING NO SEATBELT AT ALL BECAUSE THEY UNLATCH SO EASILY. ON THE SHOW, THE DIRECTOR OF THE NTSB SAID HE'D NEVER LET HIS CHILDREN RIDE IN ONE. THE SERVICE MANAGER HAD NO IDEA WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT. HE DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THE NAME OF THE SEATBELTS WHEN I ASKED HIM ABOUT IT. WHEN I BRAKE IT FEELS LIKE THE WHOLE CAR IS GOING TO SHAKE APART AND THE SEATBELTS ARE DEATHTRAPS. I HATE THIS CAR.
  • rb123rb123 Posts: 51
    Well it sounds like you have had some problems with your JGC but all car companys have some lemons. I would say three breakdowns in two years is the exception not the rule, and one recall is not anything major lots of vehicles have recalls this is not always something negative it is good they are taking care of the problem. I have not heard of any seatbelt problems. I have had three JGC's with very few problems. The JGC is the second best selling SUV on the market with the highest owner loyalty.
  • ddufourddufour Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2002 JGC and am experiencing wind noise that seems to be coming from the driver's window. Does anyone else have this problem and is it fixable by the dealer?
  • mdjeepmanmdjeepman Posts: 21
    Moderators, what happened to the old thread with over 900 posts?
  • mdjeepmanmdjeepman Posts: 21
    Found it on Search.
  • flewis2flewis2 Posts: 1
    TO: ddufour
    Have the same problem on new 2002 GC Limited. The
    dealer and factory rep. both state 'normal'. I will be sending letter to Chrysler soon.
    This is my second Grand Cherokee. Had '95 Laredo
    4x4 with V8. Great car but lots of mechanical
    problems, especially after 50,000 miles. Glad I had the best extended warranty offered by factory, as it paid for itself many times over.

ANYONE ELSE HAVING SAME PROBLEM?? LOUD WIND NOISE FROM FRONT WINDOWS AT FREEWAY SPEEDS.
  • akroegerakroeger Posts: 16
    Yup...I've got it on the front passenger window/door. It seems to vary with vehicle speed and wind direction. I'm trying to clearly define when it occurs so I can be specific when I seek warrenty repair. Does yours seem to come from the window seal or the door seal?
  • ggallonggallon Posts: 1
    I wish that I would of had the opportunity to view this website before I made the costly purchase.
    After owning two Toyotas, I timidly decided to join the SUV craze and purchase a JGC '01. It was brand new however, it was not long before the problems made me regret this purchase. In less that two years I have had: rotors replaced, transmission seal replaced, four new tires, steering colum replaced, and to top it off I recently heard the engines are cathching afire!!!! In addition, the Jeep service dealer's didn't seem to have much sympathy with problems either. It was not fun having to pay several times for labor, bumming rides to work, and making monthly visits to the so called "five star" jeep eagle dealer. The sad part too is that I too was like all of these other "pitiful" postings thinking that these problems were the "norm" or that they would "get better." Please wake up guys, they don't!! As long as we remain complacent about these problems, Chrysler will never bring their products up to decent stndards. They will just keep screwing us royally!! In conclusion, I begged the Toyota dealer to help me and they made it possible to jump into a new '02 Camry. What a difference!! on a closing note, American Car Company's are driven by financial greed, made so that you constantly buy a new American made lemon every four years. Foreign made car company's (Toyota & Honda) seek to earn your loyalty with respect and reliability. Please, Please, get rid of your headache. You will be thankful in the long run.
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Posts: 330
    However, I like my Jeep and have not had the problems you write about and do not consider my purchase a mistake!!!
  • kkuligkkulig Posts: 150
    I too am sorry to hear of the problems you had with your 01 JGC. I'm not trying to belittle the problems you had (or defend Jeep) but in all fairness, you can't compare your car experiences with an SUV. It's an entirely different animal.

I just took delivery of an 02 JGC Ltd... my fourth JGC. They aren't perfect (no vehicle is) but I love 'em anyway. Overall, they have been very reliable for me even though I had one (a 98) go back under the lemon law.

Foreign car manufacturer's are driven by the same "financial greed" as American car manufacturer's... don't fool yourself into thinking otherwise. Besides, it's kind of hard to call Toyota and Honda "foreign cars" since they've been built in the good 'ol USA for several years already. I don't care what make and model vehicle you're talking about... you roll the dice every time you purchase one. It's the same thing with dealers too.
  • mvd99mvd99 Posts: 1
    As others have written, not everyone has had bad problems with their JGC. I currently have 3 vehicles my wife and I drive. One is a 2000 Lexus GS300, the second is a 2001 JGC Lmited V8 (my wife's car), and the third a 2002 Jeep Liberty. Prior to the Lexus I drove a 1996 Toyota Avalon. I traded a 1994 Jeep Cherokee sport on the Liberty. The Cherokee never needed anything more than routine maintenance (brakes, tires, oil, etc). The Toyota was a good car, but not trouble free. The big issue was the front struts and a dealer service department that was not very helpful (went to another dealer and got better service). We've had no problems with the JGC or the Liberty. The Lexus is a fine car, but dollar for dollar I'm quit impressed with the build quality of the Liberty. Fit and finish are pretty good comparing a $25K Liberty to my $40K Lexus.
  • ranman1ranman1 Posts: 1
    I have Owned my '96 JGC 4x4 with every option for over 4 years now w/o any major problem. I really hate to hear of the few nightmares that people have encountered. I encountered one with a dealership that sells and services various brands ... it is called CARMAX ... stay away from them!!! I took my JGC in for some warranty work (basically have them check it out before the warranty expired) ... I requested that that some parts be replaced (U-Joints) due to some noise and have them look at the transfercase and they basically took my JGC for 5 days and charged me for a rental then said "Sorry we don't think they need to be replaced ... ", I replaced them myself and had a local 4x4 shop check out the driveshafts & transfer case to make sure everything was inline ... The noise went away!

SO - STAY AWAY FROM ANY CARMAX DEALERSHIPS!!!

Wish I had driven the 45 miles to the dealership I purchased the Jeep from after dealing with CarMax.

But for everyone who purchases a Jeep and doesn't plan on using it offroad ... if you want it to act like a Honda (buy a Honda) ... Even though I have not gotten to go Off-Roading in a while and a lot of my 106k has been in traffic ... my only replacement/repair that would not be considered "normal wear" is an Oxygen sensor ... and even those go bad on a Honda, Acura or Lexus.

So would I buy another Jeep ... Yes ... You can't beat a Jeep Off-Road ! ... They do good in snow as well with a good set of tire's.

What am I buying next ... honestly thinking about a S2000 (Honda) ... I have CBR 900RR and like Honda as well --- and wouldn't mind having a convertable.

BUT - I am keeping my JGC also !!!
    Plan to still have it when it turns 200k maybe even 300k (it will likely out live me)
  • reisdorphreisdorph Posts: 3
    i think all the people who have jeep problems with tires break and rotors we should get together and file a class action. i have a jeep ive been through 3 sets of tires two sets of rotors and a cam shaft and i cant drive it because it needs rotors again. i do have a lawyer
    i wished i never bought this junk its been in the shop 16 times in 2 years for camshaft, rotors tires alignments. what junk
  • richcoff1richcoff1 Posts: 3
    My JGC is the biggest piece of *#@$ I have ever owned. I have had the steering colum replaced 6 times, brake rotors replaced 3 times, and numerous electical gremlins looked at that the dealership says is normal. I have my JGC turned in for lemon law in the state of PA. Everytime the case has come up for a court date, Chrysler has postponed because they say that they need more time to explore their options. This has been going on for over a year. I am sick and tired of dealing with this piece #$%* and also with Chrysler. So much for customer service. Anyone interested in buying a JGC might want to rethink their decision before buying a piece of junk JEEP.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    Did the 1st-generation Jeep Grand Cherokee (as well as the current version) use a live rear axle with coil springs as the rear suspension? I just purchased a '97 Laredo and am wondering about the rear end specs. By the way, I've put 4000 miles on this Jeep since February with no problems.
  • nuyawkrnuyawkr Posts: 13
    I've just turned 13,000 miles on my '01 2WD JGC Laredo. I've begun to notice that the steering wheel shimmies or wobbles at high speed braking? Is that the symptom every one else has experienced with regard to the brake rotor warpage? I've yet to have it looked at and just wanted some feedback for the time when I must take it in. Also, am I correct in understanding that DC will only cover the rotors for the first 12,ooo miles and since I'm over that, it will be an out of pocket expense to have them replaced? Thanks for the input.
  • billwfriendbillwfriend Posts: 44
    Just because you feel some pulsating in the break peddle and/or some wobbleing in the steering wheel doesn't mean you have to immediatly run out and replace everything! It doesn't mean your breaks are failing or are going to fail on you! All newer (97 - current) DC products seem to have those symptoms. Both of my DC vehicles have always had these issues, and have always braked fine. Yes the DC rotors are crappy and cheap, and you can find some "after market" quality rotors to replace them with, to remedy the pulsating/wobbling. But the braking performance (stopping your vehicle) is comperable either way. But don't waste your money of factory replacement rotors, they'll just do the same thing after the same amount of use. And yes, you may have to pay out of pocket since your over 12K miles. However, DC dealerships have been known to replace the crappy rotors with new crappy rotors for free. You'll find those posts if you read through these message boards. Good Luck!
  • nuyawkrnuyawkr Posts: 13
    billwfriend.....thanks for your post and information. Like you, I don't seem to have any braking problems and sometimes the trouble is in reading all these posts and what others are saying or doing about their problems. As long as the braking remains stable I can live with the wobble. Aside from that, I've experienced no problems with my JGC and I am quite pleased with my vehicle. Thanks again for your time and input.
  • kate2349kate2349 Posts: 1
    I'm posting here because I experienced what I feel was a life threatening incident while driving my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo . I was on the freeway in the middle right lane driving at about 60 miles per hour when the traffic in that lane and the one to the right slowed to about 20 miles per hour. The Jeep pulled to the right when I applied the brakes hard (anti-lock brakes). I let off the brake pedal to straighten and regain control of the vehicle. Without re braking I steered into the left lane to avoid striking the car in front of me or the cars to the right. I was incredibly lucky to regain control, and that no one was in the left or right lane beside me at the time. I took the Jeep to the dealer and the right ball joint was replaced, work was done to both rotors, the transmissions seal was leaking and repaired, and the front end was aligned. This is on a vehicle that only has 11,000 miles on it and has yet to go off road; mostly freeway driving. I was astounded to read on the posts here that the right pull on braking is a well documented problem that DC refuses to acknowledge. I'm wondering just how many Jeep Grand Cherokee owners were not as lucky as me. How many Grand Cherokees have been in accidents attributed to the driver over-steering to the right to avoid an obstacle, when in fact the driver only was only braking hard and the vehicle pulled to the right. I hope this problem is being addressed by a consumer safety agency.
    Check the NHTSA web site for consumer complaints about this. You can file your complaint there as well if you want to. The more complaints, the better the chance that the NHTSA will investigate the problem. http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/
  • sickjeep1sickjeep1 Posts: 1
    I have been very unhappy with my '97 GC Lmtd, 52,000 miles. For a week now it either won't start at all, or will idle down and die when slowing or at a red light. The dealership put a new idle air control motor in and gave it a tune-up ($600) and told me they fixed the problem. It is still happening and they claim the problem isn't occurring for them so they can't diagnose it. Is anyone one else have a similar problem and if so, what was the outcome? Thank you!
    i went to www.nhtsa.dot.gov i was in shock all the problems with the jeeps, and yes i have a lemon law suit and just like richcoff1 they keep postponing my date also.
    Delay's in your lemon law suit are just one of many tactics employed by the manufacturer which are designed to wear you down and either get you to settle for less than you want, or even better yet, to make you go away.

Recognize it for the "game" it is and stick to what you want. Don't ever knuckle-under to this. Been there, done that, and I won.