Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jmhilljmhill Posts: 1
    Hi there...I have a 98JGC LM 5.9 with front issues!
    This morning I had a flat tire and I had that changed(Right rear tire) with the same size tire as the other ones. It was fine until I got on the interstate. The Truck started pulling to the right and I could not get that much control of the car. I can go under 50 and it is ok. When I stop at a light, the front end almost is pushing down and makes a grinding noise. Any thoughts?? Something with the axle or bearings I believe? Any help would be awesome!
  • cassio1cassio1 Posts: 1
    It is 2006 and the same thing is happening to my 2000 JGC--can you tell me what the resolution was in your situation?

This is the 3rd time in 2 weeks that the radio and interior dash lights flicker and the brake and ABS warning lights stay on---and yes it has died after one of the episodes.

PLEASE HELP!
  • I recently took my jeep into get the valve cover gaskets changed as it was leaking oil. They degreased the engine to check out to see if the seals were okay. I get it home and after sitting for 8 hours, I get up for work and start it up and holy cow!!! She turned right over but shook like crazy trying to idle out. Coming to stops, when it idled down, it would vibrate some. Took it in again and it needed a new coil wire, plus distributor cap and rotor. Got into it this afternoon to run errands; started up and once again it shook like crazy trying to get idled up and white smoke coming out of her bad. Once she warms up it's not too bad, but it's not running like it should....Any suggestions as to what's going on? :cry:
  • I started looking at 2006 Commanders saw on Edmunds some major issues with them. Then started to look at 2006 Grand Cherokees this weekend came to Edmunds to look at posting if there are any problems with the 2006 models and ran into your posting. My 2000 Jeep started having the same problem. The brake and ABS light came on then the odometer light and radio started to flicker. When I turned the car off all the guages simultaneously went to the far right 3 times. Took it to the mechanic and he could not reproduce the problem. The truck seemed to be fine if I did not have the radio on. Then this weekend same thing started again. This time with no radio on the truck does not start. I jumped it started right back up and as soon as I turned on the radio or the A/C it would die and the guages would go crazy. Trading the 2000 in but would love to know if you find out any thing on this problem.
  • xscoutxscout Posts: 141
    Sounds like they were a little liberal spraying around the degreaser. The cap, rotor, and coil wire probably just got saturated from the degreaser. White smoke is a sign of water or coolant getting into the cylinders, usually caused by a bad head gasket. Check your oil dipstick for any signs of water or coolant. It sounds like they power blasted their degreaser into someplace they should not have. Check all entry points into the cylinders (aircleaner-throttlebody) to make sure they are dry.
  • Have same stalling problem, same characteristics. Mechanic switched out the ignition coil, stopped stalling for about a week and then started again. He took that off and then switched out the Crank Pressure Sensor. I've heard that jeeps are notorious for this problem. Any how the sensor was switched and it made no difference. In the last 6 months it has had a tune-up, radiator and transmission flush, air filter, fuel filter and oil filters changed, and last but not least the fuel injectors were also serviced. After all of this, it still stalls. Have you tried anything different? I can't seem to figure it out.
  • ynot9696ynot9696 Posts: 1
    i have a 2006 JGC Limited 4x4- and I also have a noise- not quite a pop- but more like if you had something sliding and bumping into the side of one of the storage trays. But it's coming from under the center front console? It's only 2 weeks old! What could this be- It's getting really annoying!
  • ray29ray29 Posts: 3
    I am having the same problem with my 2003 GCL.
    I can not get it fixed. Had back to the dealer 6 times and still no luck.
    Did you get it fixed?
    what was the problem if so?
    any help would be greatly appreciated
  • dslackdslack Posts: 1
    I also have a new 2006 JGC Limited 4WD. 3000 miles. A “Service 4 W-Drive System” Message keeps on showing up on the dash. First time it popped up I brought it in to be serviced. Service could not duplicate the problem, so they reset the computer, but I'm still having the same problem. I have a problem with lugging while driving 35-45 Mph. and a slight vibration in the stairing wheel starting about 55Mph. The service Rep. said that's normal for JGC.
  • jeepguy3jeepguy3 Posts: 1
    I recently bought a '99 JGC Laredo with the Infinity Gold stereo. I have noticed that occasionally the left rear speaker will start to make a static sound. I inquired about this problem at a audio-video store and they said that it was the amplifier on the speaker probably going out. I replaced the speaker and the problem still exists. The static is not affected by the volume, but rather by the stereo being on. If you turn up the volume the sound does not get louder. If you have any suggestions on how to fix this please reply. Thanks!
  • ray29ray29 Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 Grand Jeep Cherokee and have been having problems with the heater. The fan works but no heat.
    Same problem with the a/c. If the ignition is turned off then restarted...sometimes the heater will start working immediately. Sometimes the heat will start coming after about 30 minutes of driving. I have had it back to the dealer 5 times since Dec 05 and it is still not fixed.
    long cold winter. anybody have any ideas?
  • HI I HAVE A REALLY LOAD RATTLE KNOCK IN THE ENGINE OF MY CHEROKEE THE NOISE IS CONSTANT BUT AT HIGHER SPEEDS BECOMES QUIETIER AND FASTER BUT IS THERE ALL THE TIME, THE GARAGE TOOK THE ROCKER COVER OFF AND SAID IT SEEMS LIKE IT IS COMING FROM THE BOTTOM END AND ISNT THE PUSH RODS DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS.. THANKS A LOT
  • mmosbymmosby Posts: 1
    Recently had the drivers door handle repaired (plastic broke) The mechanic used a screw and screwed the handle into the metal frame. The mechanic called asking how to turn the alarm system off. Told him to put key in drivers door to disarm. When I picked up it up, the radio turns on but there's no sound from the speakers. Are there speaker wires in the driver's side door? Am trying to find wiring diagrams for the speakers (infinity sound system) no luck. Yes, I asked the mechanic, he said he didn't touch anything and of course if he knows something he's not giving up the info.
    Any suggestions? Thank You.
  • dmitch1dmitch1 Posts: 2
    I have had my 2006 JGC Laredo for 2 months now. It has about 3000 miles. For the past 2 days the tire light on the dash has been on consistently. At a glance by the service dept (not a complete check), the rep said it may be a change in temperature - one day being very hot and the next very cold. But it should even out by now. Anyone had a similar problem?
  • bradfclbradfcl Posts: 1
    looks like I was searching for solutions to my jeep's problem, to only find MY DAD POSTED THIS THREAD!!! haha, we still havent gotten the problem solved. I am taking the Jeep back to the dealership tomorrow. THEY WILL FIX MY CAR I SPENT $1000 ON IT AND NO RESULT. Will let you know when I find out what happened. Meantime, let me know if you find out what happened.
  • mkrakemkrake Posts: 6
    I love my 97 Jeep. It's the first car i've ever owned! But i just got the news it blew a head gasket maybe cracked the block. :sick: How much will a head gasket cost? Does automatic trans and 4x4 make this more or less difficult... i.e. costly? How much would a total engine repair cost? Does it also need 02 sensor, radiator, fan, thermestat, etc? :confuse: It has 150K, no other problems, and it's my baby. Please please please help this Jeep girl out!
  • birtbirt Posts: 3
    I have a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 5.2L 318 it cranks but will not start, replaced plugs, wires, cap, roter, Cam position sensor (pick up coil), coil, and computer (pcm). (still no spark) :sick:
  • ancjeepancjeep Posts: 6
    YOU HAVE A FAULTY OIL SENDING UNIT. THATS NOTHING MAJOR
    BUT YOU DO WANT TO GET IT LOOKED AT SOON.
  • insign25insign25 Posts: 2
    check the battery terminal connections, or may be a problem with the fuel pump. Get a fuel presusure test and check the fuel pump. Also check the fuel filter, if you didn't replace, get a new one, may be clogged. Good luck.
  • tcn2ktcn2k Posts: 277
    How much does this cost for the part and is it easy to do it yourself?
  • If you just blew the headgasket the internal damage won't be all that bad. Just make sure the shop that is doing the work sends the head to have it magnafluxed to make sure it isn't also cracked. Even if it's not cracked, the gasket replacement will cost quite a bit. The gasket itself isn't that much, but the labor involved is where you'll see most of the cost. Could cost around $500. They have to remove the entire top of the engine, which takes a while. If the head is also cracked, don't buy a 'new' head unless you've just got that kind of money. If the shop asks, tell them to find you a head out of a salvage yard and have it inspected. Do you have the 4.0 inline six or the V-8? On my 2000 Grand with the 4.0 it cost right over $800 total at my own Granddad's shop. The labor is what got me. I would have done it all myself, but I had to go out of town, so I just let them have it. Let us know what you find out. - dixiecrawler
  • nick39nick39 Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Grand Cherokee, runs great except....when i get down to 1/4 tank my jeep hesitates, stalls and sputters. I have tried fuel cleaners etc..to no avail. As soon as I put gas in it and get it over 1/4 tank it runs great. Any suggestions?? Think something maybe in the bottom quarter of the tank??
  • birtbirt Posts: 3
    Thanks, I checked the fuel its OK. Getting fuel, cranks but will not start (no spark), I checked the wiring from the sensors to the computer all check out. I’m checking the timing now the only way I can do this is to check the markings on the chain. If there is anyone who can give me any help that would be great.
  • davidc1davidc1 Posts: 168
    I had the same problem around 1200 miles but I don't have it anymore. If the "service 4wd" light is on, you can't shift into 4LO.
  • I have a 2001 grand cherokee and the heater and ac fan stopping working. I tested the blower with direct power and it works. If any one has had this problem and can help let me know.
  • mkrakemkrake Posts: 6
    Thanks for the post! I've got the inline 6 4.0 for the 07 Jeep Cherokee Sport. I got quoted 275 for the head gasket and 1400 for a new block. this doesn't include labor... is there anyone you know of with a good used jeep engine? The jeep is in western North Carolina at this moment. Thanks!
    THE PART IS $47.95 +/- (I WORK AT A JEEP DEALERSHIP). THE
    PART IS LOCATED NEXT TO THE OIL FILTER. ITS NOT HARD TO
    REPLACE. ;)
    IS THERE POWER GOING INTO AND OUT OF THE BLOWER MOTOR RESISTOR ? AND IS THIS A LAREDO OR LIMITED MODEL BECAUSE THEY DO USE DIFFRENT RESISTORS.
  • alan93alan93 Posts: 4
    I have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the fuse for the auxilary power outlet (always on) is blown but I can't find it to replace it.

The owners manual on page 202 shows a passenger side kick panel for these fuses but it doesn't exist on my jeep. I found the power distribution under the hood but the manual doesn't specify anything for this power outlet fuse. ???

Anybody know where its at?

:confuse:

Or is there an accurate fuse map for this? Because my owners manual sure isn't.

Thanks
  • alan93alan93 Posts: 4
    I had this same problem (1998 JGC) a few months ago and fortunately my solution was cheap but it could have been even cheaper than it was. It happened mainly when it was cold after just starting.

I took it in to dealer thinking it was something complicated but turned out to be just a battery near the end of its life.
    It wasn't holding vital engine settings in memory every time car was shut off. So I took it to the dealer who , of course, charged me exhorbitantly for putting a new battery in (said they had to adjust all the settings blah blah, yea right) and tried to sell tons more service etc...

so ,,,,new battery might be a solution to this.