Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Buick Enclave Rack and Pinion / Power Steering

kwame_enclavekwame_enclave Posts: 1
edited April 2 in Buick

I started reading this forum blog because I found out today that my 2009 Buick Enclave will have to have its rack & pinion replaced at 85,000 miles and out of warranty. What I found to be odd was that in February 2012 a reader "mgmd11" had the exact same issue and my mechanic is telling me the same thing his mechanic told him... "My mechanic said this is a common problem with this model and there is no quality recall." It will cost me $1300. I am amazed that two years later, there is nothing that has been done to recall this model with this issue... It is sad to hear that after two years this thing is still happening... How can I get some relief? Anybody have any solutions, suggestions???

Comments

• bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    edited April 1

Do you realize that a "Recall" has a legal definition? Basically, it applies to SAFETY issues.

Otherwise, it would be a "Technical Service Bulletin" (TSB) That refers to everything else.

You could try researching ( http://www.nhtsa.gov/ ) to see if your vehicle has been reported.

At 85K miles, this car "does not owe you anything".... it has served a long life and should be EXPECTED to require some repairs. Why the heck to you expect this to be 'covered' by someone else? I have replaced rack-n-pinion units on two seperate vehicles. One came from a scrapyard and was replaced by mechanic, the other one I purchased at autoparts store and replaced it myself.

Also, If you know this is a 'common problem', you should have taken precautionary measures and replaced the power-steering fluid more frequently. (Did you change it ever?)

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,851

There have been technical bulletin on the power steering, but mostly to replace seals within the system, not the entire rack (although this is sometimes necessary). So "leaks" have been a known problem but not necessarily the entire rack being defective. Of course, advising to replace only the seals might be GM's way of cheaping out the repairs, I don't know.

You can always ask for a goodwill adjustment--if you are on good terms with your dealer he is occasionally given discretionary funds for this purpose. But you'd have to be kind of cozy with the dealer, in terms of having bought from him perhaps or had service done there.

But after 5 years, and out of warranty with 80K miles, you may have to bite the bullet on this one.

• jteich2014jteich2014 Posts: 1

I, too, was just informed of needing a new rack and pinion. This is ridiculous. I have a 2008 Buick Enclave with 73,000 miles on it. Clearly there is a problem here. I have to pay $1800 to have this fixed. Where is the relief GM? You should cover this cost.

• bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085

@jteich2014 said: I, too, was just informed of needing a new rack and pinion. This is ridiculous. I have a 2008 Buick Enclave with 73,000 miles on it. Clearly there is a problem here. I have to pay $1800 to have this fixed. Where is the relief GM? You should cover this cost.

This is a ridiculous expectation!! Why do people think that SOMEONE ELSE should pay to fix their car after that many miles? After the warantee is over, you pay for your own repairs. You are not a "victim" and and not owed anything.

If you want a vehicle that is reliable beyond 150K miles, consider something besides GM products.

• scaredmamascaredmama Posts: 2

I also have a 2009 enclave with 64,500 miles. My power steering is randomly going out. I have checked the fluid and it is fine. I take care of my car well and get it serviced at the dealership. It is scary when you go turn and it stops working I have 4 encounters thank God that no one was coming the other direction or my and family & I would have been in multiple wrecks. I do not understand because it has been a ongoing issue and there is a Class Action lawsuit with the steering defects but no recall?

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,082

We are sorry to hear you've experienced this. We'd be happy to reach out to your dealership on your behalf. If you'd like our assistance, please reach out to us via email at socialmedia@gm.com. Please include your full contact information, VIN and dealership name.

Thank you,

Andraya GM Customer Care

• My 2008 Enclave is in the dealership now getting the steering rack removed and replaced with a new one after it had completely failed while driving and causing us to lose all power steering. It has been serviced regularly and is the nicest car we own and now becoming the most expensive car we own after this latest issue. It is a very big safety issue when you lose all power steering with a baby in the back seat. I called GM and they said they will mail me a letter and reimbursement form "IF" my vehicle is involved in the recall.. I have a feeling that since i own a 2008 and not a 2009 that I may have to just bite the $1800 fix for a complete failure of the system that i did not cause and appears to be an ongoing issue with many of the enclaves. Its just frustrating to have this happen..

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,082

Hi grgelliot, Safety is of utmost importance to us at General Motors and we're sorry if you feel your vehicle has not met this standard. We understand this repair may have posed as a financial inconvenience for you and your family and we do apologize. If you have any additional questions or concerns, we would be more than happy to address them via private message.

Amber N.

GM Customer Care

@grgelliott said: My 2008 Enclave is in the dealership now getting the steering rack removed and replaced with a new one after it had completely failed while driving and causing us to lose all power steering. It has been serviced regularly and is the nicest car we own and now becoming the most expensive car we own after this latest issue. It is a very big safety issue when you lose all power steering with a baby in the back seat. I called GM and they said they will mail me a letter and reimbursement form "IF" my vehicle is involved in the recall.. I have a feeling that since i own a 2008 and not a 2009 that I may have to just bite the $1800 fix for a complete failure of the system that i did not cause and appears to be an ongoing issue with many of the enclaves. Its just frustrating to have this happen..