Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Santa Fe Maintenance and Repair (2006 and earlier)

Comments

• harry31harry31 Posts: 128
    Yeah! To be REALLY safe we should buy a REAL sport ute, with a REAL engine made by a REAL auto company. Like the Ford Explorer. That was the vehicle that Ford said, "...had no safety problems." =;-)
  • I have to be a petty smart@$$ for a second here. I didn't figure anyone would mind since it seems to be a common problem (for a few people, at least). Hey Jeffmust2, in your little "you, your wife, the Twins, Grandpa and Grandma" scenario was Grandma strapped to the roof? She'd have to be since the Santa Fe seats FIVE and "you, your wife, the Twins, Grandpa and Grandma" add up to SIX.
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Posts: 811
    Simple.

Grandma and Grandpa each are holding one of The Twins.

Guess you just don't get it -- "It's not a safety issue" according to Hyundai.

So why bother using seat belts the right way, eh?

Although I like your idea of strapping Grandma to the roofrack - but doesn't that have a max capacity of 100 lbs or so?
  • big_guybig_guy Posts: 372
    Actually, Sante Fe rack is rated at a mere 75 lbs so grandma better be 4'-6" tall and thin as a rail!
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,921
    This conversation reminds me of a classic urban legend. Anyone got any problems or fixes to report?

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • harry31harry31 Posts: 128
    Steve:
    No Hyundai problems here but how about that 100 mile per gallon carburetor that Big Oil bought up and took off the market .
    I'd be interested in how you were treated at the dealership as to loaner cars, time to fix, etc.
    Check this out - Santa Fe owners might want to join this lawsuit:

http://www.bigclassaction.com/class_action_hyundai.html

Funny link, jeffmust2. Lots of "possibles" and "maybes", and "we'll forward your claim to a lawfirm." Biggest surprise is that there's no claim page for Toyota sludge - they seem to have every other potential claim listed for a "potential lawsuit." Only in America :-)

Steve
    Host
  • My husband and I have a 2001 4-cylindar (I don't know any other numbers) SF that has been wonderful for about 65,000 miles. (We drive a lot.) However, two weeks ago we were driving in town when the crazy thing just wouldn't move anymore. The engine was running with no funny noises. The gears would shift from R, N, D, etc. but the brake pedal was hard (wouldn't go down when pressed on). We had it towed to the dealership who found nothing wrong with it the following day. The day after we picked it up, however, it did the same thing again. We had it towed again, and it's been there for one week. Since it seems to only happen when the engine is good and warm -- after at least 30 miles of open-road driving -- the service manager has been driving it back and forth to work (12 miles one way). It has been fine since he's been driving it. I encouraged him to take it on a longer trip, but he said, "I don't want to get stranded somewhere!" Tell me about it! He also claims that he's never heard of this happening before. I figure he ought to know since he's the service manager and all, but does anyone have any ideas about what's going on?
  • Unbelievable............A website dedicated to free class action suits. And believe it or not, there is a suit against Toyota for sludge. So....Jeffmust2, you may want to yank a valve cover off your Lexus to see what you can find. You might be able to get in on that suit against Toyota !!LOL For those of you interested in a class action suit, be prepared to get your final answer in about 5 years. Now on to some real problems...please ? LOL
    I don't even know where that engine thingy IS!

Yank a Valve cover? Is that gud ole boy code for doing something nasty?

And what does my Lexus have to do with Toyota - they're different companies, right?
  • SamsdadSamsdad Posts: 17
    Steve what is it your talking about with toyota and sludge? I had a t-100, which tubed due to "sludge". scored crank and all. Had oil changes every 300 miles, but was out of warrenty at 60k. Toyota wouldn't even look at it.
    Engine Sludge? (Discussion Re-Opened) is one of our most contentious, er, popular discussions. Seems mostly smoke and no fire. Enjoy!

Steve
    Host
  • Hello All - I live in Fairbanks, Alaska. I've noticed that my ambient temp does not read below minus 22 degrees farenheit. I know that seems cold enough, but when it's minus twenty degrees or colder, you take certain precautions before and when driving... Is there a temp range on the readout so that it can't go below minus twenty-two degrees?
  • I dropped my SF off to the dealer to have it checked for a knocking sound in the back. Every time I accelerate after a complete stop I get this noise coming from the back right. Anyone else experiencing this problem????
  • Every time I accelerate after a complete stop I get this noise coming from the back right. Anyone else experiencing this problem????
    Thats Grandma on the roof rack, she is getting cold! ;-)
  • When I last left this conversation (early December, I think), there was thoughtful discussion of problems with the engines of the Santa Fe. Over the last month, the "dialogue" seems to be mostly sarcastic little comments with very little useful information. Anyone out there with more substantial information about the performance of the 2001 Santa Fe (or, for that matter, the 2002)?
  • When I first got my Santa Fe in March of last year. I was having problems with HIGH idling. I had to wait for a reprogramming card to come in. Which they were suppose to call and let me know when it came in, but they didn't I went up there after I got back from a trip to Florida so I could get my first oil change and have the cap put back on the top rack that blew off on the way down to Florida. While I was there I ask them about the reprogramming card. The guy told me they had them in but I had to make an appointment to have it put in. So I tried to make an appointment and the other guy told me they didn't have them in yet but that they would call. Well, I waited to months and they didn't call I had to call them about it again. Well, I got that fixed but I had alot of problems arise after that one.

Link to #6 message
    jcstoker Apr 13, 2001 1:12am
  • I received to sets of keys. When I purchased my Santa FE.
    Link to #20
    nogginbump May 9, 2001 1:04am