Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Santa Fe Maintenance and Repair (2006 and earlier)

Comments

• pelican19pelican19 Posts: 323
    Due to normal operation or was there a problem?
    What was replaced? Just the pads?

I owned the 03/2.7/4WD and at 27,500 I needed the front pads replaced. I thought that was too soon and the answer I got was the Santa Fe is real hard on the Front brakes. Yeah, didnt buy it either...Cost: $ 110.00, it included labor, pads and having the rotors cut.
  • wagkatwagkat Posts: 2
    When i turn on the AC all the lights come on and i can't steer. what is the issue
  • I sometimes hear a noise ( more like a squeal ) when I back up. This only happens when it rains or conditions are wet. The pads were replaced and the rotors resurfaced. The dealership claimed it was normal.
  • deanov6deanov6 Posts: 13
    Well mine doesn't do it, so I would not class it as normal. As it is only when it is wet, could it just be fan belt squeal?
  • It comes from the rear, only when I back up. The squeal only occurs when it rains or there is a lot of dew and it only last one or two applications of the brakes.
  • davesuvdavesuv Posts: 149
    That transient squeal from the brakes, particularly in reverse is normal. It's classically heard when the brake pads are moist. If you drive through water you may get the noise until the pads dry out (usually after a few applications of the brake). I've experienced the same phenomena in several different cars over the years. Brake pad dust can make it worse, so if it bothers you, you can always bring it in and have them clean the pads.

As long as it doesn't persist all the time, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • I finally got around to taking my 2006 Santa Fe to another dealership that seems reputable today. Unfortunately I had to go 50+ miles to get there. BUT they did at least take time to investigate the problem whereas the other took the "prove it's still broke" attitude with me.

Ironically the Service Manager at the "new" dealership was able to duplicate the problem with the lumbar collapsing within about 10 minutes and 0 miles. What a shocker! Finally someone can vouch for my claim and I am no longer a "liar". Now he has gone back to Hyundai Corporate and is awaiting a response.

The previous dealership had the thing 4 separate times and claims to have not been able to duplicate the problem. What incompetence!

On a related note I received a call from Hyundai Customer Service for a follow-up Satisfaction Survey for round 4 at the previous dealership. They asked me to rate the dealership in several categories on a 1 to 10 scale with 10 being the best. On the first question I asked if 0 or negatives were allowed. Unfortunately 1 was the lowest the surveyor replied while laughing. So I made it pretty easy on him and said "give 'em 1's across the board". At first he thought I was kidding as he laughed but I cleared that up (LOL). Then we had a nice little 15 minute chat, elaborating on the issues. He ended by asking what this dealership could do to improve their rating in the future? My response "close up shop" and for Hyundai to revoke their license. He really got a kick out of that one.

Perhaps Hyundai might yet be able to salvage faith from me in their service and products. Only time will tell though.
    Its sad you had to go so far to get any support. I am glad you found a dealer that would help. Good luck...
  • My 2003 santa fe is sporadically dying. It is a 4 cylinder, FWD base model. It has 46,000 miles on it. Last week my wife was driving the vehicle and when she went to start from a red light the car just dies. No sputter, no check engine light, just instantly died as if she had turned the key off. Slipped it into neutral and cranked right up and ran fine for the next week. Yesterday the same exact thing happens, but while she is driving a steady speed of 40. Just dies, no sputter, no light, nothing. Slipped into neutral started fine and ran fine. Today while stopping at a stop sign same thing. If its a module it would seem it would throw an engine light. If its a fuel filter issue it would sputter as the motor will still try to fire from the gas in the lines ahead of the filter and will sputter on fumes. Ignition is the only thing that comes to mind, but I am seeking your opinions here. Its going to the dealer next week but just thought I would try to figure it out as its not really that safe to drive when it randomly dies.

Thanks alot in advance ya'll.
    Wow. Had the same exact issue on my 03 but it happened with less than 10k miles. Man, was I upset. Had roadside assistance tow it back to the dealer. Turned out to be a bad crank sensor if I remember correctly. Otherwise a good truck. Turned it in for the 07 Limited. Never looked back.
    I had a friend who had the same problem, but his turned out to be that he was dancing to his Celine Dion CD too hard in the car and was hitting the ignition key with his knee! :shades:
  • I have a 2001 SF V6. I just put 100,000 miles on it. I have never changed my spark plugs, timing belt or pretty much anything else. It runs and starts very well. I still average around 23/24 MPG. Should I go ahead and replace the belts and spark plugs even though I’m getting good performance (we all know it costs an arm and a leg to change plugs on this SUV)? It’s not a timing chain so will it hurt the engine if it breaks while driving? I have always changed oil, rotated tires, done alignments, and air filters on a regular basis. What preventative stuff should I absolutely do at this point? Your professional advice/opinions are greatly appreciated. I LOVE this vehicle. It has been such a dependable and comfortable ride. Praise God.
    It will definitely be cheaper to change the timing belt BEFORE it snaps. Personally, if they've not been changed, I would change everything you mention now, but at the very least I would get the belt done.
  • flahamflaham Posts: 1
    This is my first post but I have a question that I haven't seen anywhere. My 2003 Santa Fe "shrugs" when I brake--although it doesn't seem to happen as much if I stop either angled down or up. 76,00 miles (we camp frequently) and this is the only problem we have had. I LOVE this vehicle!! Previous car was a GMC Safari but with two new knees it was difficult to climb up. Now I just slide in. Anyone have any ideas as to what is causing the "shrug"?
    A shrug or more commonly called a wave. One or more of the rotors have begun to wear unevenly. Have them looked at. If you have kept up with the brakes a simple cut and new pads by a trained mechanic will solve the problem.
  • Does anyone have experience with getting Santa Fe body parts repaired after a wreck? I have a 2007 Santa Fe Limited with the premium package and had it for just 4 weeks when last week I was hit by a Harley!! He got me in the drivers side in front of the front tire. So it looks like I'll need to replace the entire front end piece, head light, hood, and piece over the tire:(( The head light actually still works! Police report isn't in yet, so no info from insurance company until probably next week, but just thought I would ask for info/advice. Have never had a wreck or been involved in one, ( and I'm 43), so I'm not sure what to expect. Do I need Hyundai parts to keep the warranty intact? I know that I would rather have the real thing. Do I have to take it to a Hyundai dealer collision center or can I go to a private body shop? Should I contact Hyundai? And if so, who and how? Luckily, only the Harley guy was hurt, but not bad--just scrapes and bruises. :sick:
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 1,542
    Do I need Hyundai parts to keep the warranty intact?
    You probably won't have a choice, there aren't much in the way of aftermarket body parts available yet for the model year 2007s. As for the question about the warranty and aftermarket parts........Yes, they can refuse to honor any body warranty in regards to the replaced parts if you use aftermarktet parts.
    Do I have to take it to a Hyundai dealer collision center or can I go to a private body shop?
    You can take your vehicle to any shop to have the work done, but in my opinion, you will be far better off at the dealer for this new a vehicle.
    Should I contact Hyundai? And if so, who and how?
    Hyundai's customer service is quite good and they may be able to provide you some information regarding your vheicle and its repairs. You don't have to contact Hyundai at all.

Understand that because your vehicle's model year is the current one and your warranty is still intact, you should do what ever possible to utilize OEM parts and keep your warranty intact.
    If your vehicle were 5 years old or older, then I would say it would be up to you as to whether you wanted to use aftermarket or OEM parts.

Realize that as far as parts fit and look, OEM replacements are usually far better than aftermarket.

Hope this helps.
  • lucky15lucky15 Posts: 72
    I just purchased my Sante Fe 6 days ago and I have noticed several squeaks and rattles, when I test drove it I was on smooth interstate highway most of the time and I did not notice any noises but driving on city streets brings out all of the imperfections in assembly, I have not read of anyone else having this problem, am I the only one and if not was the dealer helpful in finding them. I traded in my wifes 93 Lexus on it and her car being 14 years old didn`t have one squeak or rattle in it, but it did have a few other problems, maybe I should have stayed with Lexus.
  • gizzer777gizzer777 Posts: 335
    Odd...I have driven over some pretty bumpy roads and the 2007 SF is VERY quiet. This is the first report of noises.
    Granted, mine only has about 1100 miles (mostly city on not so good roads)but the only noise I have heard is the pass seatbelt hitting the pillar when no one in is sitting in the seat,

When testing a vehicle I do a pretty good one on the one I am thinking of...it FIRST goes on a very bumpy road, then a curvy one, and lastly the hwy.

I would talk to the dealer and he should be able to find and repair them...BTW: do check the fastening of your spare tire mount.....IMHO Lexus is a good vehicle but way over priced for a Toyota,,,in fact so is Toyota for a Toyota.:}

It seems like dealer cooperation is a really BiG factor with this manufacturer...(so was my Mini cooper...one dealer was great ....the next terrible.)

The price is what originally attracted me to the SF.

No matter what you buy these days, it seems as though there are more lemons and less attention to detail than the older cars.
  • bkirk1bkirk1 Posts: 21
    I have a 2007 gls Santa fe auto with 2500 miles. The car is pretty good it rides and handles great. My problem has been excessive tire noise or the drive train. The tires have been balanced and checked by the dealer and the Hyundia field rep they say the noise is normal and does'nt need a repair. I also have a clicking noise in the front when I first start off or go from fwd to rev. Dealer says I have to wait till the noise gets worst??? Has anyone else had these issues.
    Suggest you get their diagnossis and recommendation in writing...specifically.."wait until it get worse"...sheese...and on a new car too! I would complain to Hyundai cust service about that one and go on record there too!
    Yep. Thought it was the cold but I hear it constantly from forward or reverse just when you start off. Thought I was too hard on it so I started to go easy but I still hear the click but only when I start out. Does not seem to be a performance issue but its worth mentioning to the shop and have it on record.

Limited AWD w/ 6700 miles.
    Still sounds like a defect of some sort...It is cold here too and was really cold in the beginning of Feb when i bought it.... and I have not heard any clicks or noises from My AWD 2007 SE.

I start it...let it run for 20 seconds or so and then put into reverse...so far...all is normal. IN FACT IT IS very QUIET. fORGET THE PERFORMANCE THING...YOU DID NOT PAY FOR CLICKS AND DO NOT WANT THEM! imho
    BTW: have them check your tie rods...just a guess.

Geez, I hope we have not bought a 1st year "in the shop mobile" However, we must remember that most forums tend to attract people with trouble and HOPEFULLY the new SF is solid stable ride...I am not in the mood to be getting another auto so soon and as we know these get killed the first few years...worse than the others.

Heck, gas is going up so fast, my driving habits are changing anyway.....my milage is about 15 city and 23 hwy...normal for an SUV I guess.

One thing that attracted me was the roadside assistance program as well...

Funny when researching before I bought...all was great...Now I am becoming a bit nervous about my purchase. THIS FORUM IS A GREAT ONE!
  • rick2456rick2456 Posts: 320
    I have noticed the tire noise also. It changes depending on the type of pavement you are on. I think it is more a trait associated with the bridgestone tire. It is not that loud, but is noticeable. I will definitely not put the same tires on it when I replace them. If you find out anything different, please let us know. Thanks.
  • bkirk1bkirk1 Posts: 21
    Hi all,
    Thanks for the feedback. The tire noise does depend on the pavement type old rough pavement is the loudest. but in New Hampshire thats all we have. I even had the air in the tires replaced with put nitrogen. That did make the tire feel better on the road but it didn't change the noise level. The clicking sounds like its in the axles or transmission and only happens when you first start off in forward or reverse. I already have a call into the hyundai rep in New Jersey. It seems that the dealers are poorly trained and dont have a good communications with Hyundai.
  • Well, The 2003 santa is still sporadically dying. The dealership however says that it needs to be verifiable. It hasnt died for them and they gave it back to us. 10 Fu#$(*g minutes later it died. We return and they keep it for a week still nothing so we are getting it back. Damn this warranty. Do you guys know if this is Hyundai's policy, or just a dealer policy. Pelican, you seem to be the adjunct forum admin what do you think?
  • davesuvdavesuv Posts: 149
    Hi bkirk1,

Is the clicking sound you are describing a repetitive clicking (click-click-click-click.....) that continues as you drive or does it just happen once each time you start driving?

The electronically controlled braking system in the 2007 Santa Fe's goes through a self-diagnostics each time you turn on the ignition and start driving, usually at about 10 to 15 mph. It will momentarily pulse the brakes, which can be heard as a soft click or thump coming from under the car. I can easily hear it if I actively listen for it. Otherwise you might not notice it. This is normal.

2007 Santa Fe AWD Limited with Premium and Touring packages
    Dark Cherry Red with beige leather interior
    The clicking seems to be the cv joints. I will bet a weeks salary on it. I have the shop looking at it Sat. Will update when I know more...
    I understand how frustrated you must be. I traded in my 03 for the 07 and we had a similar issue. While driving it would just cut out. Had it towed back to the dealer only for it to start right up when they tried. After several trips they discovered it was a crank sensor I think. Unfortunately they cant fix what isnt broken at the time. They must justify the parts they replace or they will NOT be compensated for the parts and labor. The dealer has to put some effort into the diagnosis. In my case when they kept it they used it quite often. 122 miles to be exact but it did fail and they had to get it towed back. hahahah. How does it feel. It sounds like your dealer isnt making an honest effort to fix it. If you have another dealer within a reasonable distance from home I would give them a crack at it. Keep us posted. Good luck...

Anthony ( Pelican19 ) SI, NY