Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Santa Fe Maintenance and Repair (2006 and earlier)

Comments

• It sounds like you may be having the same problem my wife and I are experiencing with our 2001. Our experience happens while we are on the freeway. The car will suddenly down shift from 4th-5th gear down to 3rd and stay there until we actually park and restart the vehicle. So far we have rebuilt the transmission (no fix), and they have changed the speed sensor (still not right), so now the shop is checking it out again. Their feeling is it might be the actual computer, but I don't know how the computer would make it shift down to 3rd and stay there. Have you gotten it fixed yet?
  • Yes I got it fixed. It was the sensor on the transmission. Apparently there are two sensors and mine (the broken one)was the outer one. They fixed it at a cost of around $250 at a highly recommended transmission shop here in the San Fernando Valley. If you need more specifics let me know and I will look up the receipt. I haven't had a problem since but it does seem to shift a little differently. Good Luck. By the way, it sounds like you have the same exact problem I had but they didn't do anything to the actual transmission, just the sensor.
  • My Santa Fe normally used to get between 600-800 kilometers per tank, depending on city v. highway driving. Then last month, I noticed a sudden drop in overall mileage. I am at the most getting 475 km's. I don't leave it idling to warm up for any more than 5 minutes, and I have been driving the same speeds in the city and on the highway. Is anyone else having this problem, even with a vehicle other than a Santa Fe or a Hyundai? I am puzzled, and have had the dealer look it over. They can't figure it out, and have told me to keep an eye on it. It sure isn't getting any better! Please help!
  • I have noticed the exact same problem on our 2007 Sante Fe.
    It doesn't seem to do it playing a CD or MP3's. I have no idea what is causing the problem. I will be glad to pass along any information I find out.
  • You would think the dealer could be able to find out what the problem is. I assume that all maintenance is kept up, clean air cleaner element, etc. The biggest cause of lost gas milage is weak or bad oxygen sensors (located on the exhaust pipes), they measure the amount of oxygen in the exhaust gas and tell the computer how much gas to give the engine at any given instant. They should be able to read them on their service computer connected to your car. Other problems that can reduce gas milage are clogged catalytic converters or clogged exhaust system, dirty air filter, and gas leaks. If they can't find the problem, try taking it to another dealer.
  • Don't take NO for an answer from the dealer .. TRUST ME!!
    My check engine light kept coming on and EVERY TIME the dealer said everything checked out. So off I went. Then the warranty expired .. and all hell broke loose!
    Now My 2001 SF has almost 150,000 miles on it. Impressive .. not really. At 121,000 the engine lost compression and needed to be replaced. My warranty was extended to 120kmi for the horse power issue. So ONE THOUSAND miles over warranty ..Hyundai said "nothing we can do since the warranty is up" I was speechless but at the same time not really surprised. So my advice, while you have your warranty .. keep all your paperwork and make them keep looking at the same problem until they fix it!! :sick:
  • Oh no you're not alone! ONE THOUSAND miles after my warranty expired - my 2001 SF lost compression and the engine needed to be replaced! Guess what HMA said ..
    "Sorry there is nothing we can do since you're warranty has expired" You can imagine what my reply was %&#@!%
    Bottom line is they don't care .. they got your money.
    But don't give up!!
  • arumagearumage Posts: 922
    Sounds like any company. Our HP Laserjet was 4 days out of warranty and HP wouldn't cover it.
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    Well, not any company. There is such a thing as goodwill repairs, and dealers can and often do pick up the tab, or a significant portion of it for regular customers, or when the problem is indicative of something systemic and you bring them documentation.

For example (for the owner of the vehicle) did you always or the majority of the time have your vehicle serviced at their facility?

You probably have to find and speak with someone in the position to help you with the matter; you know you're in trouble when your speaking with someone who's basically empowered to say "no".

Sometimes putting people in the position to help you is important. I can't say how that is done, but it starts with the initial rapport established when you first make contact with a representative of the company, in your case HP.

Perhaps some research and a different approach will get positive results.

You didn't happen to purchase the printer with a Credit Card (like AMEX) that automatically extends the warranty period by 1 year for these sorts of purchases did you? This won't work with a vehicle, but maybe with a computer printer.
  • arumagearumage Posts: 922
    It was company purchased. We have maintenance agreements on other more expensive printers too.

Usually in the case of more expensive repairs such as cars, it depends on how many others have had similar problems. Usually goodwill repairs depend on how much damage is perceived against a company's reputation.
  • I've had my 2007 Santa Fe about 3 weeks and love it but I have a problem and wonder if anyone else has had it. When we are on the freeway and going over 60 mi/hr and the back windows are rolled down (the front are not) the steering shakes, the people in the front row's ears pop---it's kind of a weird sensation. As soon as we vent the front window or roll all windows up it stops.

The only explanation I can think of is that the car is so tight that wind force from the front causes this. Has anyone else had this happen. I probably wouldn't have noticed until next Spring but it was unseasonably hot here last weekend and my kids wanted their windows down. Should I talk to the dealer?
  • Huh!? Lulu, that is strange. I've yet to have my back windows rolled down, but I'll try it next time Im on the freeway. You have the AWD, right?

Noticed in my FWD, that the steering wheel is a bit off scew. Either that or the slight pulling to the right is causing me to continually counteract act it by keeping pressure counter-clockwise on the wheel. Remember reading this on a few posts in the past. What was the remedy?
  • davesuvdavesuv Posts: 149
    Air pressure oscillations are common in vehicles traveling at freeway speeds. As you've found out, it can occur with only the rear windows open. I've had one prior vehicle do it with only the sunroof open. If I cracked open a rear window also, it stopped. You have to experiment to see what combination will produce the effect. Usually, just cracking open an additional window (or the sunroof) will cure the problem by allowing the excess pressure to vent before the oscillation sets in. I'm sure there must be some interesting physics behind the effect.
  • I agree with davesuv. I had a 95 VW Golf that when the rear windows were rolled down there was a wierd pressure thing occuring, but if I cracked one of the fronts open things were normal. I should say it always occured at freeway speeds not driving around town speeds. Now I can't say I've ever had the steering shake though.
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    there is some interesting physics. in general it's called helmholtz resonance.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Acoustics/Flow-induced_oscillations_of_a_Helmholtz_- resonator
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,010
    I always liked Tidester's explanation:

tidester, "Volvo XC90 SUV" #930, 3 Jan 2003 9:19 pm

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• My wife and I have just experienced a similar issue with our 2001. We are at 110k miles, and the car does not jump out of third on it's own. We do have the auto stick, but when we move it up to 4th, it's very sluggish, and does not want to go much faster.

Did you happen to take yours in and have someone check it out? Were they able to come up with a solution to the problem? I'm also curious if discipleguy's fix helped you at all?

Does anyone else have any thoughts? Thanks for any and all help!!!

-dave
  • Sirvagabond,

The skew problem and pulling to the right is generally an indication that your wheel alignment is off. A front end alignment should correct the problem.

Your Hyundai warranty covers adjustments for the 1 year. I recommend taking it in to your dealer and having it checked/adjusted under warranty.

Regards,

JCS
  • Thanks JC. I actually opted for the extended warranty in case anything else happens. But good to hear it's a simple fix. Think I'll make the appointment soon.

many thanks.
  • Thanks everyone for the info!!! I was pretty sure it was not a defect in the car but I just wanted to make sure. It's almost like when your taking off in a plane when your ears pop from the cabin pressure! The Helmhotz theory is pretty thorough!!!

It is AWD. Thanks again!!!