Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Santa Fe Maintenance and Repair (2006 and earlier)

Comments

• That worked! Thank you so much. I was beginning to be very annoyed by the celsius!! I really appreciate your help!! Thanks again! :)
  • I would think a driveshaft is covered by warranty too. The fact is, I am just going by what the dealer at Annapolis Hyundai in Maryland told me. Either these mechanics are crooks are they are just stupid. I'm figuring the second one. After I was told that it would cost $1100, I decided to get a 2nd opinion. This other dealer told me it was a front right axel, and IS covered by warranty. They fixed it the next day. That was a couple of days ago. It's running like a champ. All it cost me was a rental car for 2 days. $83 compared to $1100, and the vehicle is FIXED.
  • Is it common for a car to drip fluid, like maybe condensation? A clear liquid drips from my new Santa Fe, leaving a puddle about a foot in diameter. The car runs fine and no indicator lights have come on to suggest a problem. Not sure if this is normal or if I need to have the dealer look at it.
  • pelican19pelican19 Posts: 323
    That seems to be normal. I found the same issue two days ago at around 69 degrees in new york that day. I did not put the ac on so I was wondering what it was. Called the dealer and the first thing they asked was did I have the climate control on auto. I said yes. Ah Ha, the system is designed to regulate the temperature to what you set it to. Putting on the ac if needed to keep it at that temp without notifying you via the ac indicator. Sounded plausible to me for now. We will see....
  • Thanks for the input. I was hoping you would respond. The temps have been higher here (Texas) so I bet that is it.
    No problem. I wish it was in the sixties right now. We are getting hit real hard by an ice storm. It has been coming down since early this morning. Put the Entourage in the garage and took out the Santa. Boy do I love the AWD.
  • axis_rollaxis_roll Posts: 11
    actually it's a 2.7 FWD Santa Fe.
    Ok. Thats where I got lost. In your original post you said you heard a noise from the rear axle. Thats why I thought you had AWD/4WD. Your truck is FWD, you dont have a rear axle. Any noise back there is not good. It may be the bearrings in the wheel hub assembly. Hyundai uses the same components. A spindle is used in place of a rear axle for FWD. Look at this image of the rear suspension to get an idea of whats back there. Hope it helps.

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com
  • We had a thumping when backing up.. it turned out to be the rear disc brakes..
  • I own a Santa Fe 2004 AWD 3.5. I had to have the rear brakes replaced at 34,000 miles. cost $300 at the Hyundai dealership. I've never had any car that I've owned had brakes replaced that early. Usually they get replaced at 70-80000 miles. I was going to go to a local mechanic, but my wife heard our conversation and wouldn't even get in the car until it was repaired. Anyone else have this problem?
    Due to normal operation or was there a problem?
    What was replaced? Just the pads?

I owned the 03/2.7/4WD and at 27,500 I needed the front pads replaced. I thought that was too soon and the answer I got was the Santa Fe is real hard on the Front brakes. Yeah, didnt buy it either...Cost: $ 110.00, it included labor, pads and having the rotors cut.
  • wagkatwagkat Posts: 2
    When i turn on the AC all the lights come on and i can't steer. what is the issue
  • I sometimes hear a noise ( more like a squeal ) when I back up. This only happens when it rains or conditions are wet. The pads were replaced and the rotors resurfaced. The dealership claimed it was normal.
  • deanov6deanov6 Posts: 13
    Well mine doesn't do it, so I would not class it as normal. As it is only when it is wet, could it just be fan belt squeal?
  • It comes from the rear, only when I back up. The squeal only occurs when it rains or there is a lot of dew and it only last one or two applications of the brakes.
  • davesuvdavesuv Posts: 149
    That transient squeal from the brakes, particularly in reverse is normal. It's classically heard when the brake pads are moist. If you drive through water you may get the noise until the pads dry out (usually after a few applications of the brake). I've experienced the same phenomena in several different cars over the years. Brake pad dust can make it worse, so if it bothers you, you can always bring it in and have them clean the pads.

As long as it doesn't persist all the time, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • I finally got around to taking my 2006 Santa Fe to another dealership that seems reputable today. Unfortunately I had to go 50+ miles to get there. BUT they did at least take time to investigate the problem whereas the other took the "prove it's still broke" attitude with me.

Ironically the Service Manager at the "new" dealership was able to duplicate the problem with the lumbar collapsing within about 10 minutes and 0 miles. What a shocker! Finally someone can vouch for my claim and I am no longer a "liar". Now he has gone back to Hyundai Corporate and is awaiting a response.

The previous dealership had the thing 4 separate times and claims to have not been able to duplicate the problem. What incompetence!

On a related note I received a call from Hyundai Customer Service for a follow-up Satisfaction Survey for round 4 at the previous dealership. They asked me to rate the dealership in several categories on a 1 to 10 scale with 10 being the best. On the first question I asked if 0 or negatives were allowed. Unfortunately 1 was the lowest the surveyor replied while laughing. So I made it pretty easy on him and said "give 'em 1's across the board". At first he thought I was kidding as he laughed but I cleared that up (LOL). Then we had a nice little 15 minute chat, elaborating on the issues. He ended by asking what this dealership could do to improve their rating in the future? My response "close up shop" and for Hyundai to revoke their license. He really got a kick out of that one.

Perhaps Hyundai might yet be able to salvage faith from me in their service and products. Only time will tell though.
    Its sad you had to go so far to get any support. I am glad you found a dealer that would help. Good luck...
  • My 2003 santa fe is sporadically dying. It is a 4 cylinder, FWD base model. It has 46,000 miles on it. Last week my wife was driving the vehicle and when she went to start from a red light the car just dies. No sputter, no check engine light, just instantly died as if she had turned the key off. Slipped it into neutral and cranked right up and ran fine for the next week. Yesterday the same exact thing happens, but while she is driving a steady speed of 40. Just dies, no sputter, no light, nothing. Slipped into neutral started fine and ran fine. Today while stopping at a stop sign same thing. If its a module it would seem it would throw an engine light. If its a fuel filter issue it would sputter as the motor will still try to fire from the gas in the lines ahead of the filter and will sputter on fumes. Ignition is the only thing that comes to mind, but I am seeking your opinions here. Its going to the dealer next week but just thought I would try to figure it out as its not really that safe to drive when it randomly dies.

Thanks alot in advance ya'll.