Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pickup bed liners

Comments

• KEH4x4KEH4x4 Member Posts: 109
    I put a Load Lok drop in bed liner in my 99 Super Duty. They have heavy duty ridges every few inches all the way across both sides so you can cut a 2x4 to slip in and hold your load from sliding. It also is set up for the two tier setup, so you can have two 'floors' to stack your cargo on. These liners are very thick and heavy duty and lifetime guaranteed. They seem to be a lot better quality than the ones at my Ford dealer(duraliner?). And it was cheaper ($225). Check them out at:
    www.yorkproducts.com/toc.htm
  • jhinmanjhinman Member Posts: 1
    What has been people's experience with colored spray-in liners? I am concerned about the stability of the colors. Rhino will match my truck's color exactly, but the Line-X dealer says the color will fade and change because there is no UV protection. The Line-X dealer does not offer custom colors.

I would appreciate any comments.
  • ricks2ricks2 Member Posts: 17
    jhinmna:
    I heard the same thing re: color fading with Rhino spray-in liners. My Ranger is black, and after checking around, I heard that even the black Rhino tends to fade after a while. I checked some testimonials by Line-X and didn't hear of any such problems. I ended up getting the Line-X and this past summer and have had no problems.
  • glenroseglenrose Member Posts: 13
    Had the rhino lining put in my truck today. I had to put it over the rails, the drop in lining had rubed the paint off down to the metal, they put some rust prevention on and then Rhino over that. I would never put a drop in lining in again, it messes up your paint. I got the graphite it looks real good on my red truck. If anyone is around Wichita KS they have a new shop on west Kellogg, just getting started, they did a nice job on my truck.
  • jwickjwick Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking about getting a camper shell in the future, so I was wondering if there would be any issues with an over the rail spray-on liner.
  • RichRich Member Posts: 128
    I picked up my SD F-250 on May 14 and the dealer had a Line-X installed for me. ($325) I had talked to Line-X as well as a few dealers. Colors were available for Rhino, BUT nobody wanted to do them. The entire application system must be cleaned and then a anti-UV coat also needs to be applied. The dealer was talking an extra $200-250 for color. (White)

I went with the Line-X for two reasons. The great price my dealer gave me and looks. I just liked the Line-X look of fine gravel over the Rhino textured wall look.

Now six months later. The shiny black is now slightly dull. Mainly car wash soap and the elements here in Los Angeles. (Smog and stuff.) Other than that, I have no complaints. Spilled oil washed right off. (A week later at the car wash.) The color is now a charcoal grey (i.e. BLACK) rather than the shiny hearse black when new.

Mine was sprayed in so that bed does not hold water. I guess that is what it's supposed to do.

In all, I'm pleased.
    Rich
    dave40,
    I haven't really tried to slide anything on the Line-X while it was wet. [Come on, you KNOW it never rains in Southern California ;-) ]

When dry and compared to a Ford (aka DuraLiner) drop in liner, NOTHING slides on the Line-X. In fact, that is my only complaint with the liner. You have to climb into the truck to load things. You can't just slide boxes, etc. to the front of the bed.

Rich
  • eskinnereskinner Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone used or heard of the polypropylene carpet liners? They attach with velcro and cover your entire bed?
  • eskinnereskinner Member Posts: 4
    What about do it yourself spray/paint in kits? Do they work as well as the professionally done? There certainly is a price difference.
    Thanks.
  • stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    I saw one featured on TNN the other day. It was pathetic -- black paint with rubber chips. A sprayed on LineX or Rhino ends up about 1/8" thick (you can get thicker) and provides a very valuable cushioning surface.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    I was someplace on-line and saw BEDRUG for $339. It is marine grade carpet with foam backing, contoured to fit the grooves of your bed. The carpet may be polypropylene. It zips together, and uses hook and loop fasteners I think. It is the concept most appealing to me at this point, since it is said the foam doesn't scratch the paint, and you can remove it easily to clean or wax your bed. Maybe not ideal, but non-permanent at least.
  • ladyblueladyblue Member Posts: 326
    I tried the Line-x web site (thanks, airwolf) and there are no dealers listed for New Jersey. Does anyone know if there are ANY Line-x dealers in NJ? Also, if I go with a spray-in liner, can I opt to have the holes plugged? I have a fiberglass cap that I do not remove and, for my purposes, I would like to make the truck bed as watertight/airtight as possible.
  • AirwolfAirwolf Member Posts: 142
    Hey, no problem ladyblue. I'm just now looking for dealers locally here in SW Florida. I'm going to probably go with Line-X from what I've heard and read, but I'll go look at them just the same to see how good they are in person. Good luck laydblue (and everyone else).

Ryan
  • jxyoungjxyoung Member Posts: 156
    Does the black Rub off on items after it gets dull?

Talked to a dealer and he told me stories about dealers that do not sand the bed down before spraying! He highly recommends getting all the details before going with any brand!
    So I called the local Line-X dealer and the local Rhino dealer, got prices, and asked if I could come down and see how it's done.
    Line-X said, "We've got the boss' truck sprayed, a trailer, and samples, but I can't let you see how it's done, that's a secret and we can't let that out."
    Rhino said, "Well, I've got samples, a trailer, and my truck. You can come see that."
    Now, since they both quoted me $395 for under the rails, and won't let me see what's going on, I'm getting a little worried down here.
    What kind of prices has anyone else recently gotten? And have you been able to see the actual application?

Thanks,
    Ryan
  • shoozshooz Member Posts: 27
    Can anyone recommend a dealer in the San Francisco Bay Area or 150 mile radius and comment on their experience, finished job and price paid?
  • hawkpilothawkpilot Member Posts: 75
    Airwolf;
    The price is consistent. I got a quote of $350 from line-x directly, or I could get it done through the ford dealer before I picked it up for $395. I chose the latter because they could get it done the next day, and I wouldn't have to worry about getting rides from there to work and back, etc.

I did not of course see the process, but I am quite pleased with the result. Nice, thick, resilient covering, tightly masked, with clean edges, and they removed the access plate over the lock on the tailgate and sprayed it separately. I have seen other spray-ins where this was not done, but not sure what brand they were. I doubt there are many times where you need to get to that mechanism, but it is nice to know that I can without ruining the liner.

So far, it seems to keep stuff from sliding, but I haven't had much in there yet.

Hope this helps.

HP
    Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to ask about the locking mechanism/access plate when I take it in. Seems like it's not out of line to not see the process, but I just wondered.

Thanks,
    Ryan
  • jeep10jeep10 Member Posts: 11
    How much gas does the Chevy 454 SS 1990 model burn per mile?
  • kjtgkjtg Member Posts: 49
    I got the Rhino and was asked if I would like to see how its was done. They need to give you access to lights also, they took everything off that had screws in it, put the lining on then put it back together. You need to make sure they do that..
  • longhairlonghair Member Posts: 72
    They won't let you see how it's done?
    I'm suspicious. I know I've seen features on TV car shows that showed the process with the Rhino Liner.
    "We'll let the press know, but not our customers?"
    Okay, the truck I'm getting already has a conventional penda bed liner in it. I'm going to keep it, and live with its shortcomings. Originally, I was going to go with the BedRug liner as my preferred non-permanent choice.
  • pharmaseapharmasea Member Posts: 25
    I just got the tail gate sprayed with the Line-X ($40.00). Pretty good looking job. Since I am getting a fiberglass ARE lid and use a rubber mat. I did not get complete bed sprayed. The cost here in the S. Florida area is 365.00 for short bed and 385.00 for long bed.

Jim
    Jim, what part of S. Florida are you in? Here in the "Ft. Myers-Naples MetroPlex" (yeah right!) prices are near $400 for a shortbed.
    Thanks,
    Ryan
  • dlamastrdlamastr Member Posts: 15
    Kansas City has a new Line-X dealer at 350 Hwy & Raytown Rd. I talked to them at the KC Sportshow, and they were offering a show special on an under-the-rail application on a shortbed for $333. I'll definitely go with Line-X rather than Rhino. As expressed in earlier posts, I also liked the surface texture a little better.
  • pharmaseapharmasea Member Posts: 25
    the price for the Line-X is 365.00 hrt)and 385.00 (long) for under the rail, You have to add 50.00 for the rail to each price. Sorry for the confusion, I was not aware there was an added charge for the rail.

Jim
  • singer4singer4 Member Posts: 43
    At a recent RV show, a Rhino Dlr. was quoting a pr. of $400 for a short bed + almost $100 extra for what he termed UV protection...made me a little suspicious...plus there's an extra charge if you want it in a different color, other than black, to match your Trk.

JB
    singer4,
    Before I had the Line-x installed I talked to a Rhino dealer. He told me that color was $100 extra and he didn't want to do it. It seems that it's a real pain to clean the spray gun to get the color just right. He wouldn't guarantee the color match nor its permanency. He also said that a second (UV) coating was necessary because the color pigment takes up too much of the mixture and the UV really beats up the product.

I got to thinking and couldn't help wondering how long the UV coating would last before the liner was going to be affected.

Rich
  • mickybmickyb Member Posts: 1
    Just ordered GMC 1500, long bed. Hopefully will arrive before Y2K.
    - Have heard that spray on liners decrease resale value. Why?
    - Any real difference between Rhino vs. Line-X? Would buy black, over-the-rail.
    As long as they are going to scratch the paint off to spray on a liner, why not just wait until you've trashed the bed first to do it?
  • DavyddDavydd Member Posts: 121
    Quadrunner500, You may be right. It doesn't make sense considering a spray-in liner is permanent and essentially defaces the paint. You certainly can't remove it.

I finally saw one and my impression is it is gooky. Why do it?
    Davydd:

Gooky? You haven't seen a well done Line-X, I take it. Why do it? For the same reason you'd protect the finish or mechanically maintain the vehicle: To preserve it's value and function.

It make some sense to me to prevent the damage rather than to repair it or cover it after the fact. Is it permanent? Yes, I certainly hope so. But it can be repaired if need be also. If you consider the alternative, why NOT do it? The paint is a poor choice of coatings for a pickup bed, sure to allow dings, scratches and rust...
  • hawkpilothawkpilot Member Posts: 75
    The introduction of polymer bedliners in the 80's revolutionized the pickup world. By placing a barrier of strong, thick plastic between the load and the painted steel bed, the days of minor damage (dings, scratches, etc) leading to major rust and eventual structural failure were numbered. Truck beds would last longer, and resale values were positively impacted.

But even a properly installed drop-in liner had problems. Vibration leads to paint rubbing off under the liner, which is a great place for moisture to collect. It took longer for damage to accrue, but it still did. Drop-ins were nearly all so slippery that loads would shift unless completely strapped down. Drop ins have improved in this regard. Drop-ins that were not properly installed could easily blow out of the bed at highway speeds (I've seen them in the median). I have even heard tales of drop-ins being stolen. In extreme cold weather, they became more brittle, and could crack if you dropped a brick on them.

Enter the spray-in liner. Yes, it is permanent, which makes it repairable under comprehensive coverage in event of an accident. Most, if not all are guaranteed for life by the manufacturer/installer in case of chips or divits from normal use. Most are much less slippery than drop-ins, leading to more secure loads. The sheet metal underneath is completely armored by 1/8 - 1/4" of high-impact, UV and temperature-stable polymer. There is nowhere for water to collect, so it does not contribute to rusting. It can't blow out or be stolen.

I had to re-paint the bed in my '78 pickup several times to chase rust. There were always scratches and dings. My 86 had a drop in, that worked pretty well, but after 12 years of service, there were some rust spots starting underneath. I have confidence that my '99 truck's Line-X will be the last thing still intact when it is a rusting hulk in the scrapyard decades from now.

If you plan to really carry stuff in your pickup, it is the most important upgrade you could do.

HP
  • mwinter1mwinter1 Member Posts: 40
    Does anybody have experience with a drop-in liner called the "load loack"? It's manufactured by York Products. The liner has built in dividers so that you can secure loads with the use of 2'x4's. Check it out at www. yorkproducts.com

I think that I am going to get this brand when my truck finally comes in.
    mwinter:

I have an OEM liner with built-in slots for divider boards. I think this is pretty common now for most drop-in liners. I know for a fact that Dura-Liner also has them. Many now also come with cupholder impressions on the tailgate cover. Sure helps keep your beer from sliding off your tailgate!!! ;)
    I didn't think that the other liners had the divider sections to the extent that york has them. Do they have upper and lower tier dividers? Thanks for the info. I'll check out some of the OEM's as well.
    mwinter:

Yes. They have the vertical slots and the horizontal ledges. I used 8x2s which I had to cut at a slight angle to fit properly in the vertical slots (I have an F150 long bed). I use the one closest to the tailgate the most as it keeps things from rolling toward the front of the truck where I can't reach.

The horizontal ledges create a great two-level effect, giving me more width above the wheel wells and storage underneath. Since I do a lot of weekend camping and can't be bothered setting up a tent for a two-night stay, I've used these boards to build a platform that nicely fits a queen-size air mattress. I lose some head room (I have a high-top fiberglass cap) but not much.
    Pretty smart ladyblue!
    Thank you, quadrunner500.

Most great inventions were by little people faced with a big problem - i.e. the lever, the wheel, the automatic garage door opener!

Just always looking for ways to make my life better and easier. :)
    All advertisements for Line-X and Rhino state that the spary in can be UP TO .25" thick. Is there a reason it's not always this thick? Or do you decide thickness?

Thanks,
    Ryan
  • durbiendurbien Member Posts: 10
    This may be a cross-posting, but I'll ask anyway...

Do you need to have some sort of rail protection (either rail caps or over-the-rail drop-ins/spray-ons) when you use a cap or tonneau cover? I've heard the same arguments people use against drop-in bedliners - i.e. the cap or tonneau cover will vibrate against the rail and sand paint off. Is this true?

I've learned from this group that most caps and covers won't fit over the over-the-rail bedliners. Will they fit over Line-X or Rhino liners that have been sprayed over the rail?

Finally, what about those thick foam bed mats? The new ones say they're molded to the bottom of the bed so water can't get under... I know they won't protect the sides bed, but I would think they would work to keep the dents down. What do people think about these?
  • jjsonjjson Member Posts: 42
    I have a '99 F-150 Flairside short box and have gotten quotes from Line-X $355.00 and Speedliner $380.00. Anyone have a opinion on either? The price difference is not a factor. I want the best available. No Rhino dealer near by.
    durbien:

Most of the time, the cap dealers recommend getting an under-the-rail bedliner if you're going to put a cap on. The reason is the cap is made to sit steady and snug to the bed rails, with a thick piece of foam rail tape that acts as a cushion/seal.

However, my last truck came with plastic rail protectors already attached. The cap was installed on top of these and I had no problem with leaks or shifting.

I've had two trucks with caps. One I left on for seven years and never had any paint rub off. The other was the cap described above, which was left on for two years.

Your best bet would be to talk to a reputable cap dealer near you and let them explain the pros and cons. Don't be afraid to ask people you see with caps where they got theirs and what they think.

As far as the bed mats, I've never had one nor do I know anyone who has. Sorry.
  • mharde2mharde2 Member Posts: 278
    mwinter1, I had the Load Lock liner in my Ford for 6 years. I liked it. The others have divider sections but only about 4 for the length of the bed. You can also get a pad that goes between the liner and the bed of the truck that prevents bubbing and scratching of the paint.
    Mharde2:

Do the Load Loc Dealers sell that liner you are talking about? Is there one particular brand? Thanks for the info, I was leaning toward getting the Load Loc brand when my truck finally arrives.
    The testimonials on the Line-X were pretty overwhelming. You can get small samples from most every brand but I wish you could see the (under rail) job Ray in Vacaville, CA did on my '99 Silverado LT! They use a heated spray system that gives a very consistent fine texture and no runs (it dries in 2-3 seconds!) It looks as if it came with the truck from the factory! Come to think of it, if I were a Rhino or Line-X dealer that would be my concern: When is the manufacturer going to offer a coated bed as an option? In the meanwhile, I gave $360+TX and would do it again in a New York minute! So you quote is fair.
    The under-rail job will give you more options down the road. I'm thinking about diamond plate rail guards on mine...
  • mharde2mharde2 Member Posts: 278
    mwinter1, I saw it at a Joe's Trailer & Hitch store. I think it a national franchise so there might be one near you. They also sell the Load Loc liner.
  • aaron8aaron8 Member Posts: 22
    I DELIBERATED ABOUT GETTING A SPRAY ON OR DROP IN. I WOULD'VE LOVED TO GET A SPRAY ON BUT DECIDED AGAINST IT FOR A FEW REASONS. 1) THE MOST I'LL HAUL IS WOOD FOR MY FIREPLACE, AND I LIKE THE SLIDING AFFECT WHEN I LOAD IT. IT'S QUICKER. 2)I BELIEVE SPRAY-ONS ARE MORE FOR COMMERCIAL HEAVY HAULERS. MINE IS JUST FOR RECREATION AND NOTHING HEAVY DUTY. I JUST WANT SOMETHING TO PROTECT IT FROM SCRATCHING. AND 3) CAN'T AFFORD IT.
  • kjtgkjtg Member Posts: 49
    A drop in liner will cause scratches.
  • DavyddDavydd Member Posts: 121
    I think I mentioned previously that I was not impressed with spray-in liners from what I saw one day at a truck accessories dealer. I don't know which one it was but last night I saw a properly sprayed Line-X and have to admit it really looked good.
This discussion has been closed.