Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What's causing my rattle? 2002 Toyota Camry

tallgreentallgreen Member Posts: 3
edited April 2014 in Toyota

I have a 2002 Toyota Camry with 180,000 miles on it. It has been a very good car. But for about two years now I have noticed a rattle coming from the driver side rear area when going over bumps, railroad tracks etc. My mechanic has checked everything he could think of without success. It has gotten worse so I agreed to his replacing both rear struts which came to about $900.00. The noise is not as loud but is still noticable. Do you have any suggestions or ideas for me? Thanks!

Answers

• ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655

While your waiting for someone that has experienced the trouble before I'll mention sometimes sounds heard from inside the cabin can be deceptive in their origin. If this might be the case perhaps its a heat shield over cat converter that has become loose or something of that nature

• tallgreentallgreen Member Posts: 3

It is definitely coming from the rear end of the car, drivers side most often. Sometiumes we hear it just after we go over a small bump.

• eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    edited May 2014

tallgreen mean dancin-machine, indeed it could be an $4 exhaust piece/hanger/heatshield is loose. also could be bushing is cracked/squished or top of spring housing/mount is cracked/broken. a suspension/exhaust savant tech could probably and duplicate the noise with the car on a lift or while stationary, gotta bounce it just right. also possibly consider that your 2002 camry may have the world-record smallest number of annoying rattling noises of any 2002 vehicle and thus should be in the smithsonian or an auto museum (check for sinkholes before picking a museum.)

sincerely,
    ra-ra-rodan