Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Bonneville Owners: Meet the Members

167891012»

Comments

• jayoutjayout Posts: 1
    willie from houston, just got a used 97bville sse , even with 390 gas prices, i am enjoying the car. if somebody has a minute or two i do have a couple of questons. :)
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,250
    >stink,

Is it the coolant smell you're talking about? Is there any chance the drip is because the drain for the AC water drip is clogged?

Taking the hose connections into the heater off under the hood requires the sideways plier like tool to get at the snap wires easily. Then the rubber is usually melded to the tubes of the heater core. I suspect most people replace the whole heater hose pair when doing a repair because they damage the rubber getting them off.

I'll take disagreement about the core being terrible to get out on these cars. If it's the same as the 95-99 models, the cover comes off the end of the heater box with two screws and then break loose the caulk sealer and remove the cover which has to prongs hold it into the other end. The unit is very nicely engineered for do it yourself--if you have a medium level of expertise with cars and time and enough body flexibility you can lie on your side and back to work under there.

I'll try to get a picture for you.

Edit: I put two in my carspace picture album. http://www.carspace.com/imidazol97/Albums/imidazol97%27s%20Album

Go there and you'll see apicture of the heater box with the programmer removed off the end. Then you'll see the box with the end cover opened to show the heater core. The entire dash has been removed by the person taking the photos--you do NOT need to remove the dash. It can be done by removing the hush panel above the passenger's feet and removing the glovebox which is 7 screws along the bottom hinge.
  • docdetroitdocdetroit Posts: 4
    Wow! Thanks for the help! I never expected pics and all that good stuff; very helpful. Thanks to some pretty hairy experiences in the past, I always like to know what the heck I am getting myself into. She'll really be one heck of a nice 'beater' car if we can get this ironed out.
    There are other issues, too... 'Check engine' light (Big surprise there...) and airbag warning light, but let's just see if we can keep it from burning up first, right?
    As far as bypassing the core for the time being, you wouldn't know of any potential dangers of doing so, do you? Except maybe in the event of a sudden ice age or something, of course.
  • Hi guys, been looking to connect with other Bonneville owners to share pics, tips and tricks..:) I have driven a Bonneville for the last 11 yrs. I had a 1998 SE I drove for 8 yrs and when I got rid of her she had 230,000 miles. I traded the 98 in for an 05 SE. I love my Bonneville. I just put custom rims on it and had the windows tinted. Lookin good!! I do have a few things I need help with though. The headlight lenses are HORRIBLE. I tried cleaning them with some toothpaste last night..no luck. Also, there is a rattle in my dash on the passenger side, when I'm sitting at stop lights or its idling in park it drives me nuts. Is there a place to post pictures?

Thanks all!
    Jaime">
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,250
    >ballstatefan

Is that Ball State as in BSU? I'm an alumnus from many years back.

There are several individual Bonneville topics in the group that shows if you click "Bonneville" in the blue position links at the top of the page. You can subscribe to the whole group by "watching" the group so you'll see any new posts. Most posts now are about problems with the H-body Pontiacs.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef14c39!make=Pontiac&model=Bonnevi- lle
167891012»