Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Bonneville Owners: Meet the Members

Comments

• theicemantheiceman Posts: 736
    Michael: I couldn't locate your email address so I thought I'd get you started with these links by posting them here.

Technical:Technical specifications: media.gm.com Stabilitrak: Cadillac Stabilitrak linkRecalls (2000): Alldata Technical Service Bulletins: Alldata TSB's

Safety: NHTSA crash test results: NHTSA - BonnevilleIIHS rating: IIHS - Bonneville

Reviews:USA Today automobilereviews.comautowire.net Car & DriverMotor TrendNashville SceneBonneville vs. 300M Carpoint's Consumer ReviewsAcorn Online

Miscellaneous:A gorgeous '58 BonnevilleThe official Bonneville pagePontiac Bonneville Owners' Club (some neat links here)Bonneville Car Club of AmericaWidetrackwarriors (a Florida Pontiac Club) - tons of Pontiac links Aftermarket wooden/carbon fiber dashes Modified Bonnie's landspeed record attempt

Whew! That's it for now Michael - use them at your own risk!

• smfransmfran Posts: 432
    Thanks for providing them. I especially liked the '58 Bonnie.
    Stephen
    Just because I've been too busy to post much recently (besides, now that I'm used to the car, I'm a little out of the "discovery" stage), it doesn't mean that I'm not still totally enamoured of this vehicle.

I have a few more links and I'll post a sequel one of these fine days - once I have a good 15-20 minutes to spare.

BTW, I liked the '58 page too - what a looker!
  • tpkentpken Posts: 1,108
    Man that 58 is some beauty! And triple carbs! They certainly didn't spare the chrome back then and those bumpers must have weighed a ton. I noticed the similarity to the 58 Impala and see the two shared the pretty much the same body - 2 great looking cars in 58!

It's nice to own a car that has a heritage - can't say that for many cars anymore. It sure would be nice to go visit the Pontiac plant and museum sometime - bet they have some great cars there.

Take care all.

Ken
    Just as the name of this forum suggests - tonight at my house. He's bringing me the anti sway bar for my SE - off his SSEi. Can't wait to get home tonight and meet him. Too bad he's driving his old Dodge Caravan rather than his Bonneville - but still - we'll have a lot to discuss for sure. Going to print out a copy of my Bonneville Forum spreadsheet for him. If anyone else wants it - please give me an email shout and I'll be glad to send it

Ken
    Mark came over for dinner last night and we had a great time talking cars and camps. We crawled under my Bonneville and found the holes for attachment of the stabilizer bar so it doesn't look too difficult to attach. Going to have to see if the local garage guy will put it up on his lift to install.

We took a drive around the harbor and historic areas (I enjoy playing tour guide occasionally - we live in a beautiful area) in my Bonneville - naturally - and just enjoyed a nice evening.

After meeting with 3 Bonneville and 2 Aurora owners now - it is apparent the drivers of these cars are definitely a cut above average!!

Have a great day everyone.

Ken
  • Life was going to be tough after my '94 V8 T-Bird, I thought to myself. The car's continuing stream of problems culminated with transmission slippage, and my wife started talking up the virtues of a minivan (we have 1 year old). I convinced her that a sedan would suit us better and told her that Pontiac makes an excellent and reliable full sized car. In November 2000, I unloaded the T-Bird and came home with a brand new Bonny. Its lightly loaded (aluminum wheels, spoiler, no leather or roof), but for $21K (and $5K trade in for the crappy Bird), who could complain. My wife was shocked at how "sporty" and "aggressive" the car looked...I was grinning from ear to ear.

7 months later (with only 4K on the odometer), I continue to be extremely happy with the car. Nary a problem to speak of.

I was interested to learn from TPKen that there are indeed, mounting holes for installing a rear sway bar. Does any know of aftermarket suppliers that sell performance bars? Addco did not list any on its site.

Also, I would be grateful to learn if anyone sells strut tower braces for the Bonny. I love crisp handling (I do miss the rear drive T-Bird, which I modified to be a real road hugger), and I think that the car could use additional stiffness upfront.

Glad to find such a great club. I will keep in touch.
    Welcome to the club David.

Your wife is to be congratulated for marrying someone with such excellent taste!

The Bonneville is a fantastic car - we all agree - and a good family vehicle. What color is yours?

It's great to have you here - we look forward to hearing of your experiences. BTW - where do you live?

Best wishes for many years and miles of Bonnevillian enjoyment.

Ken
  • boosted1boosted1 Posts: 90
    Glad to hear you chose the Bonne over a Minivan. We also bought our Bonneville so that we would have plenty of room for the kids etc.
  • ginman3ginman3 Posts: 11
    Saner Performance makes stabilizer bars that a number of us have installed on our SSEis. You can e-mail John at Sanerperf.com for more information. Last time I checked, their wedsite was of no help in providing you with any information on the Bonneville so that's why you have to e-mail. I have installed the rear bar on mine and gave Ken my original. At last report, Saner is having trouble producing the front bar possibly since it is such a large diameter. However, I would think that since an SE already has the front bar, the most noticable improvement in handling would come from installing the rear bar that they make. Replacing the front would presumably have a less dramatic effect and just be icing on the cake.
    If you decide to go that route, you might consider asking him to supply the attaching bolts for the bracket that is bolted to the frame on either side. I'm sure they're hardened bolts so it might be safer to have Saner provide them.
    I was hoping some eagle eye wouldn't beat me to it in posting the correct website address for Saner. I was just sitting here a few minutes ago and realized that I had misposted Saner's address. It is actually www.sanerperffab.com. Hopefully you didn't strike out with what I posted and called me bad names.
    Our neighbor two places down from us in Maine has a new Park Avenue and when I asked him how he likes it, he said that he just loves it and is amazed at the mileage the 3800 delivers in a car that size.
  • warfishwarfish Posts: 117
    Our '95 Bonnie has been a great car until several months ago when it started to skip on hills. The dealer has done all of the scheduled maintenance since new. Has 52k on the clock. The dealer has replaced the plugs and wires twice, rotated and balanced the tires (honest) because the tech thought that's where the shaking came from. They are stumped, no codes show, and everything checks out in the shop. We live in the boonies of NY, and yes to any doubters, NY has lots of very rural areas, like 68% of the state is forested. Maybe a larger dealership could handle it but I don't want to have to drive 90 minutes to find out. Anyone got a clue what's going on?
  • ricks2ricks2 Posts: 17
    Will turning off or on the Traction Control on my 94 SSE make any noticable difference? (in power, drive, mpg, etc.)
  • mlm4mlm4 Posts: 401
    I found an article on Carpoint about factory tours:

http://carpoint.msn.com/advice/default.asp?contentid=244181&type=6&src=Home&pos=Edit1

There are not as many as there used to be. As a youngster every year a friend and I would take a tour of GM's Framingham, Mass., assembly plant (long since decommissioned). I loved it. I can still visualize the place, I went so many times. One of my favorite parts was a water spray booth where the body of the car (this was in the days before unibody construction) was doused with water from all angles to check for leaks. It's first car wash. And the best of all was where the "rubber meets the road," the final stretch of the line where the body was lowered onto the chassis and they fired the engine up (usually on the first try) and drove it off - very cool. For a while my dad worked for Ford and I twice got a private tour the Michigan Truck Assembly plant in Wayne, home of the Expedition and Navigator. Much more sophisticated these days, but still the thrill of watching the body lowered onto the chassis and the whole thing coming together.

Anyway, sorry about the reminiscing. The bad news is that it does not appear there are public tours of Orion, home of the Bonneville, not even for groups (if we could even get one together). Carpoint's list seems too short; I wonder if there are other plants that offer tours.

Michael - thanks for the info.

Are you still planning to be in New England this summer?

Ken
    Turning off the traction control won't result in any difference whatsoever in power, economy, etc. It just lurks in the background as does ABS and only does its thing when it detects a condition that it thinks it should override. If memory serves me, about the only condition for which you would want to disengage the traction control would be if you were stuck in mud. I believe your owner's manual gives a good description of the circumstances under which you would want to turn it off.
    The manual won't tell you this but I believe under wide open throttle conditions from a standing start, you would get better results with the supercharged version by turning it off. At least this is what several people have indicated who are into heavy modifications on their cars.
    Mark (ginman) has it right. Just to add, though: regardless of the car and its engine (ie. even the non-supercharged L36), any application of wide-open throttle from a standing start will induce some slippage in one or both of the driving wheels. That will activate the traction control and your power will be reduced. Most red-light racers disengage their traction control but should only do if they can handle the car and where road conditions are excellent.

Try this: pick a wet day and an abandoned stretch of good, straight, safe road and time a series of 0-40's (you don't need to go to 60) with and without traction control. Try the same on a dry road. With practice, you could probably get the numbers pretty close to each other - both wet and dry. If you're not practiced, stick with traction control on when wet, off when not. At your risk of course.....
  • swblumeswblume Posts: 4
    Hi, my name is Steve, and I am the proud owner of a 1994 Bonneville SSEi. After much time and effort looking for an SSEi in my area, I managed to find this one at a local dealership with only 58,000 miles on it, and every available option. My wife and I have just had our third child, and had been looking for a replacement for our Firebird for quite some time. We settled on the Bonneville after noting its aggressive styling and outstanding performance. After some haggling, we talked the dealership into giving it to us for less than ten grand, and we were on our way. I have to say that we all love it, especially the kids, who now have so much room in the back seat, they don't know what to do with it. I have to acknowledge the fact that we are pretty young, so a brand-new model would be considerably out of our price range, but we didn't want to settle for something less than the best that we could possibly get. After owning this car for only a week and a half, I'm still finding things out about it that makes me love it even more. I've spent the last week here trying to find out as much as possible about Bonnevilles in general, and have found that any information about mine in particular comes few and far between, so I'm looking forward to learning from all of you who've been in the club for a while, and who're driving what, in my opinion, is one of the best cars on the road today...
  • smfransmfran Posts: 432
    I had a '94 and it was a very good car. It was my 3rd Bonneville and then I went on to a '97 and now a 2000. I wish you good luck with yours. Keep us up to date.
    Stephen
    Hi Steve and welcome to your club. Congrats on your Bonneville and your other recent family addition. The back seat room is amazing (esp. compared with a Firebird) and will be perfect for your brood. Looking forward to more posts on your ownership experience.

smfran: up and at 'em early this morning I see. It's a holiday here (Canada Day was yesterday) and I would normally still be sleeping but my children can't tell the difference between a holiday and a work day....