Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cummins or Navistar

2»

Comments

• KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    Here's what happened with that rumor and the whole Ford/Chrysler/Cummins relationship:

Ford owned a small percentage (about 5-10%) of Cummins stock, because they use Cummins as their standard diesel engine in medium and heavy trucks (class 6-7-8), as do many other heavy truck builders. Chrysler has an exclusive contract with Cummins in the lower weight classes. Both Chrysler and Ford have a seat on the Cummins board of directors (as of last year - haven't seen the latest boardmember list).

In 1996, Chrysler DID extend their agreement with Cummins into the next decade; use of the ISB was step one, and Cummins is already working on the next engine for the Ram, currently scheduled for summer of 2002 for the 2003 models. Ford then extended their agreement with Navistar after seeing the success of the factory turbocharged Powerstroke (and the 1999 version is the result of THAT agreement). Ford also sold their heavy truck line to Freightliner (Sterling) and paired the medium duty line to just the F800, knowing they would be making the 550 from the new SD chassis. Thus, Ford saw no need to maintain its stock holdings in Cummins, as they would not be using as many Cummins engines as before, and sold them all back in the spring of 1997.

Ford still uses the Cummins ISB as the standard diesel offering in the F800, and it's simply a higher output version of what the Ram uses. You can also get the Cummins ISC (8.3 liter six) in the F800 as well if I recall correctly. They have also asked Navistar to develop a smaller diesel for the F150/F250LD/Expedition/Navigator chassis to compete wwith the GM 6.5 in the half-ton market.

The rumor pretty much amounted to this: because Ford owned Cummins stock, there was the mistaken statement made that they owned the *company*. This led to what was believed to be an obvious conflict of interest for Cummins, leading to the incorrect speculation that Cummins would drop Chrysler and go with their new "parent". The truth was, Ford never had enough stock to be a controlling interest; they felt they were a large enough customer at the time they bought the stock, and saw it simply as protecting the relationship.

End result:

Ford has an extended contract with Navistar, and is looking for more product from them. Chrysler has an extended agreement with Cummins and is waiting for the next new engine. And Ford currently owns NO part of Cummins. That was made VERY clear in press releases by both Ford and Cummins last year when Ford sold the stock back.
  • stanfordstanford Posts: 606
    Mea culpa -- what I get from trusting memory rather than checking.
  • cdeancdean Posts: 1,110
    you would not believe how many people out there think ford owns cummins. i get tired of explaining how they don't. that is one rumor that took off like wildfire.
  • mharde2mharde2 Posts: 278
    stanford, I hate to tell you but, Dodge will have a crew cab comming out in a few months I have heard. I'll check back and see for sure.
    I've heard the same rumor for a long time. Even saw a couple up north. Asked one of the big dallas dealerships about it, and even after I told them that I wouldn't buy a non-crewcab they said that Dodge had evaluated it and decided not to build one.
    Where is thier brain....I saw a F350 dullie with 6 doors this afternoon on hwy 121. That was a long one.
    The Ford 6-door models are custom. Huge, but custom.

One of my favorite customs is the CC short bed with the rear of an extended cab clipped on. 4 full seats, and interior storage. That, I would probably buy.
  • glenn2glenn2 Posts: 39
    I have a 93 f-250 with a 7.3 with 96,000 on it. with the service I have gotten from the truck it will be hard not to replace it with a powerstroke, but I will test drive the dodge with the cummins. what I won't do is test the GM with the 6.5 as I have heard too many horror stories.
  • RoclesRocles Posts: 985
    Real shocker for everyone: Cummins isn't God's gift to engines. Needless to say there are others.
  • bigfurbigfur Posts: 649
    but do the others offer the power, gas milage, and engine life of the cummins?
  • RoclesRocles Posts: 985
    Might not, but that Cummins is still in a Dodge. They should be in Fords, then I would be very happy. :)
    Here you go stanford, this is from another BBS.

Does anyone know if Dodge plans on coming out with a Crew Cab. I really want to buy a Dodge Ram but, need the space of a Crew Cab. If they don't plan on it soon it looks like I will have to settle for a Powerstroke.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes there are plans to release a Ram Crew cab for the 99' model year. I spoke directly with the western Canada new products and service rep and he said it and the 6 spd should be available to the public for Jan 99'.
  • I'VE GOT A 99 F350 PSD CC SRW 3.73 LS 6SP MAN. HAVE GOTTEN 23 MPG HGWY, AVG 21.8 WITH 4000 MILES ON THE TRUCK. I'VE ALSO PULLED A 5600 LB TRAILER WITH NO PROBLEM AROUND ATLANTA. I'VE BEEN VERY SATISFIED WITH THIS TRUCK AND GET A LOT OF GOOD COMMENTS FROM STRANGERS. ONLY DISSATISFIER, GAS TANK NECK DESIGN MAKES IT SLOW TO PUT IN THE LAST 2 GALS.
  • simply because it skewed our page...

Administrative Host
2»
This discussion has been closed.