Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Matrix

Comments

• vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I drove a 130hp automatic Matrix XR a couple weeks ago, and left the AC on the whole time, just to evaluate it with the air on (I know it takes some power). The acceleration was slow. The engine was pretty quiet, but I was revving the snot out of it to get any movement. I never drove the XRS because they didn't have one, but I am sure it wouldn't make much difference in automatic form (I can't drive stick). So maybe there is some truth in the MT article.
  • pocahontaspocahontas Posts: 802

From what I've read, the 2003 Toyota Matrix is going to be built on the same platform as the Toyota Corolla. It's also the twin of the 2003 Pontiac Vibe.

Here's some more information about the Toyota Matrix from the Edmunds.com's coverage of the 2001 North American International Auto Show: 2003 Toyota Matrix

In addition, we also have a active Pontiac Vibe (Corporate Twin) discussion on the Station Wagon Message Board. I'll let this one remain on this board, since these vehicles really do fall into the cross over category.

In the near future, I hope to link this discussion to the Station Wagons board. In the meantime please note: I've linked the Pontiac Vibe discussion from Station Wagons into the Additional Resources on the left hand side of this page. Hope this is helpful. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks Message Board

• leomortleomort Posts: 451
    Kelly's Blue Book website has it marked as a 2002 model due out this summer. They also have the Pontiac Vibe as a 2002 due out this fall. Check it out under kbb.com click under car preview section.

Leo
  • hilltop33hilltop33 Posts: 15
    I looked at KBB, but something is odd. It says the Matrix will launch this summer while the Vibe (Pontiac partner car) will not launch until Fall 2002. This does not make any sense. It is also clear, that to get the 180HP engine in either car, we're going to have to wait quite a while.

FYI - Both the Toyota and Pontiac websites say the cars will launch in January 2002.

Lori
  • pocahontaspocahontas Posts: 802
    regarding the date. Reason being I have not posted an exact date in the title of this discussion. My previous post was quoting dates/information from Edmunds.com's auto show coverage... which quotes a "2003 Toyota Matrix... set for release in mid-2002".

For further clarification, please feel free to direct your questions to the Edmunds.com's content editors. You can do that via the "questions, suggestions, and feedback" box near the bottom of this page. Good luck and sorry for the confusion. In the meantime, if I find out more information myself, I'll be sure to post it here. Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards

• viktoria_rviktoria_r Posts: 103
    question

does Vibe/Matrix duo have removable rear seats (like minivans)? I read that they have flip/fold seats, but what about removable? Also, is manual the only transmission available with 180hp engine?
  • totalnettotalnet Posts: 67
    If go to the video section under the auto show, there is a video clip of the Vibe. You can see the rear fold down seats are in the down position. Like most hatchbacks and wagons, it is not removable. But the area in the back will be flat once the rear seats are down.
  • vadpvadp Posts: 1,025
    Still not too much of info.

Pretty nice interior/exterior 360º views.

http://www.isthistoyota.com/high/index.html

• s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    I looked at the pictures of the interior and there seems to be a large screen where the CD player is.
    Does anyone know if Toyota plans to make a GPS navigation system available on the Matrix in the US?
    Yes, the DVD-based navigation system will be available as an option.
  • elehtoelehto Posts: 4
    The pontiac website says a 5 speed manual will be available with the base car (assuming the Vibe and Matrix will have identical specs). The 6 speed is only available in the GT with the 180 hp celica engine. The AWD version will only be available with the 130 hp base engine and a 4 speed auto.
    Any info on the car's wheelbase, rear leg room, and cargo capacity?

Leo
    Width - 69.5 in.
    Wheelbase - 102.4 in.
    "Capable of packing a whopping 57.2 cubic feet (1,621 liters) of cargo behind the driver,"
    Thanks!

Leo
  • badtoybadtoy Posts: 368
    may be due to the fact that the Vibe will be built at Nummi and the Matrix in Canada. However, I would trust the manufacturers' web sites before the others -- after all, they're the ones who should know!
  • rdeschenerdeschene Posts: 318
    "Capable of packing a whopping 57.2 cubic feet (1,621 liters) of cargo behind the driver,"

That's 1 cu. ft. LESS than a 2001 Saturn SW2 wagon, with the seats down.
  • badtoybadtoy Posts: 368
    Guess that nixes the Vibe and Matrix. Saturn, here I come!!! (By the way, where are they??)
  • njbongonjbongo Posts: 66
    Well, specs can betricky. Yesm the Saturn may have moe cubic feet, BUT my sister has the 2000 SW2 (same as 2k1) and the side pillars that house the rear struts stick out so much that they invade the cargo space. This makes the opening very narrow even with the seats folded down. If you are trying to carry large objects in the saturn, your screwed.

Haven't seen the INSIDE of the MAtrix yet.....they had it at the NY Auto show, but wouldn't let anyone touch it !!!! I really hate that.....anyway, something to think about.
  • damax07damax07 Posts: 32
    Last Saturday on Speedvision,
    they have been broadcasting a 30 minutes show dedicating to Toyota's brand products (Subaru also) from the existing model line to the future models and that included the Matrix...It was really informative, they showed the interior, the open hatch with a bicycle in it. Since taste is not a matter of discussion and varies from individuals, but the styling did meet my taste though!
    Damax
  • eclipsegseclipsegs Posts: 66
    Is this a new relationship? Please say no. What are these completely different automakers doing? I'm extremely interested in the Matrix, but if Pontiac is part of it, I'm not so sure.

One quick equation comes to mind:

Pontiac = Not Reliable
    Toyota = Reliable

How reliable will the Matrix be? Or is this relationship much like DSM (Diamond Star Motors) which was basically Chrysler and Mitsubishi. This relationship still exists I believe, just not under the DSM name. Looks to me that the Vibe uses all engine, interior, and frame work from Toyota and just the bodywork is different.
    Much like the Mitsu Eclipse and Eagle Talon. Is this correct?