Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Matrix

Comments

• mpg5mpg5 Posts: 68
    BTW, which are you driving, XR or XRS? if XRS, do you find the power adequate? i think i'm going to buy one as the XRS can be had (if you find a 2003) for under invoice. i'm looking for silver with all options except NAV.
  • stillageekstillageek Posts: 101
    I have the XRS six speed and find the torque, while low, isn't enough of a negative to mark it off the list. The supercharger is for the XR only! This is a negative as the XR (for 2003 anyway) came with drum brakes only. With the extra power I would like disc below me. I haven't had any rattles (mfg date 10/02 delivered 11/02) from the dash or anywhere else for that matter.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    an XR, and power is just OK, but fuel economy is outstanding, and that is a big plus for me - I do a lot of driving.

If anyone is concerned about braking with the S/C upgrade, TRD also has a "large brake kit" (4-wheel) that you can sub in for all Matrix, XR and XRS. The only thing I don't know is whether you have to have the 17" rims in order for the discs to fit. There is a sway bar kit available too.

The S/C applied to the base engine will definitely provide more low-end torque than the optional engine does. But that is a double-edged sword if you are someone who likes to keep the engine screaming! :-)

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

i like to throw a car into turns (offramps etc..) and cruise at 75-80 mph. love to row through the gears as well. seems like this will be a very fun car to rev and run through gears. how smooth at 80mph on highway and is suspension set up for tossing the car into corners (i'm getting the 17's as option or aftermarket if/when i buy). how do you like the stereo? and if you have sunroof, how noisy is it when open? thanks.
    is super-quiet when open, even at freeway speeds.

This car is fun to drive fast through corners, but you will notice the body roll. That is doubtless why they came up with an aftermarket sway bar kit. OTOH, it is hard to shake loose - excellent grip. And I have the 16s...with the 17s, the ride gets firmer, and I think they have wider tires too.

The flip side is, it is pretty smooth on the highway at high speeds, although bad pavement or concrete joints will have you bucking and thrumming some.

• hurler4hurler4 Posts: 104
    I know that Toyota TRD has a strut tower brace a well as the anti-sway bars. Will this also help lessen body roll? What's the difference in what the brace does compared to the anti-sway bars?
    i appreciate all of the feedback. will keep you posted on my search for my new XRS.
    the sway bars eliminate body roll, but in doing so they cause more torsion to the body of the car (due to laws of physics - the forces causing that body roll have to go someplace). The strut tower brace for under the hood is partly to compensate for this - it ties together two points that would otherwise be getting twisted away from each other.

This is one car that could definitely benefit from a sway bar kit - I have been thinking of getting them, but only if I go whole-hog and get the S/C as well...and of course the brake kit. No way am I going to all that trouble and keeping the rear drums!

I have a strut tower brace (non TRD) on my XRS and could tell an immediate difference on a freeway cloverleaf off-ramp. When the sign says 30 I can comfortably take it as 45-50 without my spouse getting scared. I mgiht have been able to take it at the same speed before, but I feel more at ease now. The body doesn't shift much if at all. I find it hard to see any body roll now. Installation a breeze. I am computer geek, not a car guy and it took about 25 minutes with at least 10 minutes of me trying to find the right size tool.
    ...where did you get the brace? I'm thinking of getting the TRD one, since it's not too expensive. Does the brace block anything like filters, hoses, etc.? It's just a matter of tightening bolts or screws to install it? Did you also get the anti-sway bars?
    the brace, sway bars will require professional installation...but "geek" really owes it to himself to get 'em if he already has the brace - talk about good, better, best!

I got my strut tower brace on ebay for $45, true the TRD is around $120 and is prettier and powder coated. It's hard for me to spend money on upgrades on my car because I only drive it on weekends and trips. I have had it 8 months and have 5500 miles on it. On upgrade I love are some appliques I got for the tail lamps and the fog lights. I bought them on www.importequipment.com. The tail lamps stickers take the pink out of the turn signals. They are a smoked color, it looks a lot better trust me. The fog light stickers are yellow making the fogs look much like the IS300. They are very high quality and look OEM.
    .....I couldn't find the stickers on that website. I'd love to get them, as I think the pink tailight section doesn't look so great (especially on a black Matrix like the one I ordered).

Also, does the brace limit access to the spark plugs, oil filler cap, or anything else important?
    The brace goes direct from tower to tower, it doesn't block anything. The stickers are called Black-Out or Red-Out. If you click on Toyota, then Matrix then decals and scroll way down you will find them. The guy is honest, ordered twice with not problems.
    ...which one of the 4 versions of the tail light sticker did you get? I saw the red-out (with and without hole cut out) and the black-out (with and without hole cut out).

Tough to tell which might look best for a black Matrix...

I really like the fog light stickers!!
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Posts: 469
    Had the sensor relay replaced this morning per service bulletin EL007-02. Two things of note:

(1) Toyota has been installing the new relay at the factory for 10 months or more. I took possession of our 4WD matrix in late August, and my serial number was barely within the range specified by the service bulletin. If you took possession of a matrix later than August, your vehicle likely already has the updated relay. Your service department can check your serial number and tell you which relay you have.

(2) The service bulletin does not say that replacing the relay will address the problem many of us have had, particularly on bright sunny days, with the continual alternating of running lights and headlights. The bulletin instead says something about operation at dusk and dawn (I can't remember the exact wording), and the technician told me this morning the new relay was supposed to prevent draining something in the system.

My copy of the work order in fact states: "Replaced relay, will not change operation of system. It is operating as designed." But we had some breaks of sun this morning, and I think the new relay has in fact helped alleviate the problem. If we ever have another totally sunny day in Massachusetts, I'll provide an update in this forum. Then I'll know for sure.
    ...since we're never going to have another sunny day in Massachusetts ever again! ;-D

I heard that Pontiac isn't doing this with the Vibe. If true, I wonder why? I've heard it has been an incredible headache for some people. I'm glad they fixed it on the Matrix...
    bear in mind that the wording that appears on the final invoice is just whatever the service advisor feels like putting in there...when I had this TSB performed, my invoice said nothing of the kind.

I took delivery of my Matrix on 8/29 last year. I must have got one of the very last ones that had this problem! It had only been on the lot for one day. And BTW, the new relay fixed the problem about 99%. It still gets slightly "confused" right at dusk, and might flip the lights on and off a few times until darkness falls. I just turn them on with the switch on the stalk, so that they just stay on.

There was a separate problem related to draining the battery that only a few cars had: when it was cold out, the sensor would turn on the lights even if the car was parked at night, so that people would come out in the morning to find a dead battery. However, the "flipping on and off" problem was much more widespread.

It is a real shame that Pontiac does not provide this level of support to its Vibe owners, since it would be as simple as taking a few of the updated relays they are installing now anyway at NUMMI, and sending them to dealers to install on the older cars as they come in for service.

• montanafanmontanafan Posts: 945
    Why don't you help out the Pontiac owners. Pop the hood, open up the relay center and get the part number off the relay and post so others can see if theirs is the updated or try to get one.
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Posts: 469
    was provided in an earlier posting by nippononly: 8281002033.

I know it was my skeptical technician who put the wording on the "invoice" (the work was free), but I did see the service bulletin from Toyota and can confirm that it doesn't claim to fix the problem as we have described it.

I don't mind turning the headlights on manually at dawn or dusk, but now I should at least be able to keep the instrument panel at a dimmer setting for night driving and not have to worry about things suddenly going dark when the headlights automatically turn on during the day. And the guy behind me won't think I'm riding the brake!