Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Matrix

Comments

• I want to replace the rear wiper blade on my 2006 Matrix, but can't find out what size to use. Neither Toyota's parts website nor the couple of auto parts stores I checked even mentioned the rear wiper in their cross-reference guides. They only list the 21" driver-side wiper and the 18" passenger-side one.

Does anyone know if a replacement blade is available for the rear wiper? Where can I get one? (Hopefully not through my Toyota dealer's parts dept; I need my arms & legs for work. 8D )
  • I have a new Matrix XR and haven't been able to find a service/repair manual like the ones Chilton and Haynes used to put out. I haven't been able to find anything on the Matrix on-line. I'm not interested in a factory manual, just want to be able to do simple owner's maintenance like changing trans fluid and coolant. A CD-Rom would be OK if there is nothing in print. Any help appreciated. Thanks. Denny
  • I want to buy the Racing hubcaps for my 2006 Toyota Matrix with disc brakes. Will the brakes fail if i use these caps due to no airflow during everyday driving???
  • I've had my 2008 Matrix XR for a week now and when I hit 70 mph it makes a whoom-whoom-whoom sound that lessens when I hit 80 mph. No such sound at speeds under 70.

I took the service manager at my local dealer for a ride. He heard the noise. We took another, identical car out for a ride and it made the same noise, but not as pronounced.

Has anyone else experienced this noise? Will it go away?

The car has a great interior, smooth ride on city streets and plenty of creature comforts.

Thanks in advance.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    Haven't noticed a whoom-whoom-whoom sound. Where does the sound seem to be coming from?

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

Wow, well as you imply, whoom whoom whoom is a little hard to put a mental sound to, but I certainly have no strange noises coming from the engine compartment. So it is either something normal that you are not familiar with, or your car AND the other one at the dealership had the same defect. I would think the former is more likely than the latter, but you certainly never know...

• It seems to be coming from the engine. The wheel is steady, there is no shimmy and it goes faster the faster the car goes. Sorry for the lack of technical terminology.
  • I have an 08 I got in December. I get that same noise from the engine (or so it sounds) consistently between 65-70 mph. It is bothersome, but doesn't seem to get in the way of performance (though my mpg is pretty abysmal at about 22 mpg). Was considering bringing it in as well...
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Posts: 470
    Does anyone have specifics about the recall due to failing power window bolts causing window glass to shatter?

News reports claim 2003 and 2004 Corollas and Matixes are affected, but some reports claim the recall deals only with vehicles made at the Nummi plant in California. Back in 2002 there was discussion in this forum about the Matrix being built in Ontario and the Pontiac Vibe in California.

So the question: Is the Matrix really involved?
    Answer according to AN is yes, a total of 540,000 Corollas and Matrixes from 2003-2004 model years, and 123,000 Vibes as well.

If I still had my '03 I would gather up my VIN and give Toyota a call to make sure. As far as I know, my '07 is not included in the recall.

• scarro1scarro1 Posts: 1
    Did anyone get a valet key with their electronic keys? Purchased a base 1.8 liter with power package option. Car came with two electronic keys. Initially the dealer stated two electronic keys, and a valet key to protect the glovebox contents. However, there is no lock on the glove box and delivery package had no valet key. Dealer stated would make a valet key.

Just curious as I don't won't to wonder if there is a valet key floating around the dealership that can unlock and start my car
    Thanks, nippon. What does AN stand for?

A report I found from late February says that the the NHTSA was investigating the Vibe, Matrix and Corolla for complaints about the vehicles' power windows. The author later said that all complaints involved vehicles roduced at NUMMI in California.

So either Matrixes also were made in California unbeknownst to me (I thought the NUMMI plant produced only the Vibe and the version exported to Japan known as the Voltz), or NHTSA discovered that the same faulty bolts were also at other manufacturing plants such as in Ontario.

Or is there something faulty about my logic here? Anyway, if we don't get a recall notice on the '03 by the end of April (the time-frame stated in the reports I have heard), I'm going to call my service deprtment and ask them to check the VIN number against their recall info.
    AN is Automotive News, and it may be that Toyota is recalling the Matrix just to be on the safe side? I dunno. Certainly Corollas are built at NUMMI, so that part of the recall makes sense. And of course, most of the 500K+ Toyotas recalled were Corollas, not Matrixes.

• No I didn't get a valet key, just the two electronic keys with the button for the remote starter I bought. I have the base model as well.
    Hmm. 2003 promotional materials talked about a locking glovebox. But no one in this forum had a lock. Interesting that the same issue exists 5 years later.
    If you go to the dealer, they will be able to sell you a replacement insert, rather than replacing the whole blade, and you will pay about $5 for it, which doesn't seem too bad, like an arm and a leg would be.

It's such a short blade that it may be that the aftermarket just doesn't have it, I dunno.

Certainly if you go to (or call) the dealer parts department and ask them, they will be able to tell you what size it is, so you can check out the parts store for options.

• etchedetched Posts: 6
    I have a 2009 Toyota Matrix S and I was wondering if the cargo area (ie: rear seats folded down, measurement between the tops of the rear seats to the very back of the cargo area as well as width) would be the same as in years past. No one I have spoken with knows and I'd like to find a nice carpeted cargo mat to fit when the seats are down.

I do realize that buying a new model year vehicle involves some difficulties with buying accessories, but it would be nice to know for sure if there were changes in measurements worth noting. Some accessory websites only come up to 2005, which seems limiting. Any thoughts?

And oh, when I was "chatting" with toyota online, the rep typed out one of those silly disclaimers about making alterations to or swapping parts in a new vehicle with a warranty. I almost fell out of my chair laughing due to the fact that an after market carpet/mat couldn't be further from that example, LOL. It's an add-on, not a swapped part, get it Toyota? NOT
    I know that the cargo area behind the rear seat has been reduced. Our 2003 Matrix lists 21.8 cubic feet. My brother showed me literature for the new models that show a reduction of close to two cubic feet.

What I don't know is the answer to your question. The roof slope on the hatch is greater than on earlier model years, so that accounts for at least some of the reduced cargo area.

With rear seat folded down, ours is listed as 53.2 cubic feet. Even if your literature has the same figure, your best bet would be to take measurements for yourself.
    Recall notice arrived in today's mail. The work is supposed to take about an hour. Has anyone had the work done already?
    Mine is an '07, so it's not included.

• lil_bru65lil_bru65 Posts: 2
    Nippononly, Sorry, I just found out you'd posted a response. You're right about the inserts. My husband bought both the front & rear inserts for about $11 from our dealership's parts dept back in March or April. Definitely a better deal than the ones for his 2007 Tundra. Apparently, you can't buy just inserts for those wipers; you have to buy the whole assembly at a ballpark cost of $60 w/tax. :D
    I may be wrong here, but I believe that all Toyotas including the Tundra come from the factory with wipers on which you can replace just the inserts. The problem is the first time you go to replace them, if you replace the whole assembly with an aftermarket one, then you will no longer ever be able to replace just the inserts unless/until you go to the Toyota store and first buy replacement assemblies from them. It is only the factory assemblies that allow the option of replacing just the insert. All the aftermarket companies want you to buy new assemblies every year, because they make more profit that way.

I would be surprised if the Tundra were any different, but it is certainly a possibility. Toyota has been doing business the way I described for many years now, not sure why they would suddenly change practices just for the Tundra.

Well, I just had occasion to replace one tire because I ran over something that sliced my tire to pieces. That's the first time I have installed a spare in probably at least ten years!

Anyway, the stock Goodyear Eagles are expensive! The only places that had them in stock wanted $130 or more for one! And believe it or not, the dealer had the lowest price, so that's the way I went.

But holy smokes! $130 for one 16" tire that's not even a particularly high performance tire??!! I wanted to get the same kind even though it was expensive, just so it would match the other tires on the car. When it finally comes time to replace all four, I think I will be switching to Michelin Energys. If they are going to cost this much anyway, might as well have a Michelin, and a quiet one with a treadwear warranty at that...

I am at almost 20K miles, by the way, with none of the tire issues that some less fortunate Matrix owners have reported. Personally, I am convinced that while there may have been some minor issues with the way some people's cars were built, the bigger part of the problem by far was with the Continentals that Toyota was using when the Matrix was first introduced.

At the rate they are wearing, I have no doubt I will get at least 40K miles out of my tires, and I am hoping for 50K.

• I have had a flat too (ran over a nail and a screw) and the guy at the tire place (discount tire) said they weren't cheap either (105.00 to 150 per tire) . I have a while to go before I have to replace them so I guess I'll start saving now. :)
  • the_big_althe_big_al Posts: 1,073
    I've posted this in another forum, but hope that this forum also generated a response...

I am about to start a new job that requires a lot of travel and I need an inexpensive, good gas milage, low maintenance vehicle. The Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe is the vehicle at the top of my list right now, but I would like to see what others have experience while owning and driving their's.

So here are some questions and if you have an answer to any of them please let me know:

1. What is the average gas milage you have experienced both in town and while on the highway?

2. What is the maintenance record? What have been the common things to fail and at what milage did they fail? How much did it cost to repair?

3. What is the plausible service life of the vehicle? I am looking to get 200K of more and will that be fairly trouble free with routine maintanence?

4. Performance-wise how do the different motor options stack up? If you could would you recomend the AWD even though it has the lowest horsepower rating, or do you get the higher performance though front-wheel drive only engine?

5. Comfort-wise, how did you feel after a long trip? Did you long to get out of the car or was a long trip a fairly bearable experience.

6. Did you feel safe while driving the car? Meaning did you feel confident that you would be able to handle all types of weather conditions and or traffic conditions such as snow and or ice, and panic stops and manuvers? If not, in which conditons did you not feel comfortable with and would you attribute this to the car's inability or your inability to handle the condition? Example: would the car be able to handle an icy road, but you would not because you have never driven on one before?

These are my basic questions and any advice is much appreciated. I am looking to do 2500-3000K miles a month and need to do so in fairly good comfort with out having to spend an arm and a leg at the gas pump and at the repair shop both before the 100K mile mark and after. I understand that there are parts that wear out and nothing lasts forever, but if I can get the car to go to 200K with out any major repairs, that is what I am looking for. And if I can get it to do that while maintaining some degree of comfort and style I will be happy. I just don't want to be stuck driving a fancy Geo Metro.
  • vin737vin737 Posts: 1
    Hi oreng, I'm having the exact same problem with my '06 Matrix. After I jumped another car, both of the low beams are not working. I've replaced the headlights, check all the fuses and relays, which are working fine. What ended up being the problem with yours, was it grounding?

Thanks,

vinny
  • Has any one tried to install the new 09 roof rack on an older matrix I am going to measure and see if it can be done

ktfishmaster
    At 19K miles, my Matrix has sprung a leak!

Not a bad one, but it is coming from the engine compartment and staining my driveway.

I guess I might get to use my warranty on this one. It goes in on Thursday. :-/

I had a leaking radiator and a leak at the timing chain tensioner, so both were replaced. It was all under warranty, so free to me, but if it had not been, the parts alone would have been $349. I figure the total cost with labor would have been around $550, maybe $600. So I'm glad it was covered for free.

But I'm not glad I needed repairs at such a low mileage. These days, not just because of this but because of other little things as well, I am wondering if I will be buying any more Toyotas in the future.

Hey, Nippon. There's no excuse for leaks at 19K. I had an '88 Renault that sprang leaks at 12K, but that was a Renault and not a Toyota. Let us know how your car is holding up in another few months.