Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Matrix

Comments

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    who goes 48 on the freeway?

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• j2tkj2tk Posts: 1
    Hey all,

I have a question and hope that maybe someone can help me answer it. Does a security system come standard with the XRS? I went down to the dealer and was quoted $628 for a V5 security system. Price includes installation. Is that a fair price? Thanks so much!
  • oac3oac3 Posts: 373
    My XR (auto, FWD) consistently averages about 25mpg in city/hiway driving, BUT I am leadfooted. In addition, my reference point from others here is different. I have not had a 4-banger since 1993 (when I owned a '93 Corolla), since then I have owned V6's and V8's. Hence when I get 25mpg in my Trix, I am quite happy. Our Sequoia gets 15mpg, and my LS 400 gets 19mpg. Those are my reference points hence my satisfaction with what I am getting in the Matrix.

Microrepair:

Not many 4-bangers are rated at 100hp / L of displacement, as in the Yamaha motor in your XRS. Mated to an auto tranny and its high revving nature, chances are you'll probably not do close to the EPA ratings for the car. Do you drive like me, averaging 85mph on freeways ??? Hehehehe....
  • microrepairmicrorepair Eastern MassachusettsPosts: 508
    Did I really say I have an XRS?? Yes I did, and I am cowering in the corner.. I have an XR, which makes the mileage thing even sound worse.. And no, we don't drive many freeways and if we do it is usually no more than 8 mph above the speed limit.

My frame of reference for mpg #'s is a little different. I've owned many cars that got better mileage than the XR and most were more fun to drive too. Like the 1967 MG1100; an honest 32 mpg and a little engine that loved being revved to 8000 ticks and cornered like it was a railroad car; NO lean at all and super grip on the pavement. This was the forerunner of today's BMW Mini.
    I just KNOW you are not hoping to achieve the fuel economy levels of a 60s-era minicar! That would be a much to hope for I feel - what was the curb weight of that MG1100, BTW?

I do manage 32 most of the time in my XR auto.

• hudraheadhudrahead Posts: 169
    micro: Well, I managed to roll my 1964 MG 1100, got crossed up in some gravel playing WCRX. Got the thing back on its wheels and drove it home !!! It never was the same after that. I guess Alex Isigonnis knew how to design something that would not kill you, NO air bags not withstanding. LOL HUD :):)
    nippononly: OK, how about matching a 1988 MX6 that had a 2.2 L engine and routinely delivered 26-28 mpg in spite of my leadfoot. And that car weighed more than the Matrix to boot and was the most reliable car I ever owned also.. And the best cornering car too. Of course it didn't have the large cargo area and the DRL's, but it did have a killer stereo..... I may be tempted to trade the Matrix on the new Mazda MX6 wagon when it comes out in January.. Current owners in Edmunds are raving about the zoom/zoom factor and the great suspension, low noise, very good mileage, and excellent stereo for the sedan version that has been on the market since last January.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,810
    Don't forget tonight's member-to-member open chat!

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Pop in for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• vtec2vtec2 Posts: 43
    I am averaging about 26 mpg in my XR Auto.

Also I have to fill up as soon as the low fuel light comes on, because when it does I'm on empty. The needle will still be slightly above empty and the light will have just come on and it will take 12.9 gallons to fill up. That's only .3 gallons left. Pretty dang empty if you ask me.
  • phankanephankane Posts: 57
    I notice that the gas spills out 9 out of 10 times that I top up the tank. Very bad design.
    you are not supposed to top up after the pump stops, because it can damage the smog equipment.

You can extend the life of the fuel pump a little if you fill up when you get down to a quarter tank - for me this happens at about 350 miles or so per tank. Then it doesn't have to work so hard pumping out that gas that is right at the bottom of the tank.

• hudraheadhudrahead Posts: 169
    nippon: when you think about it, isn't ALL the gas @ the bottom of the tank all the time? I always thought the reason for not running the tank almost empty was that it allows the pump to run cooler due to a larger volume of gas that kinda acts like a "heat sink" or sorta like a coolant.

HUD :):)
    Electric fuel pumps are typically mounted at the bottom of the tank. They are always pumping uphill in cars, since the tank is almost always lower than the fuel inlet on the engine. Trucks may be different in that the tanks might be mounted higher. Technically, as the fuel level decreases the static pressure at the bottom of the tank decreases slightly and therefore the pump has to increase it's workload slightly to make up for the static head loss. However, the heat build up, due to a reduced fuel volume acting as a heatsink, is probably a trade-off in terms of long term stress on the pump.
    There might be a danger of sucking in some floating debris or other lighter fluids when the fuel level gets really low; stuff that would never get near the pump if the fuel level is kept somewhat higher.
    There is a possibility of damage to the smog equipment if the tank is overfilled, according to a number of manufacturers.

OK, my engineer's hat is now off..
  • npgmbrnpgmbr Posts: 248
    Any of you Matrix owners have issue with how your A/C unit cools the car?
    most of the time...takes its time if it is 100+ degrees and the car has been parked in the sun, though.

• npgmbrnpgmbr Posts: 248
    Pontiac has issued a service bulletin for my Vibe's A/C but I was trying to find out if Toyota has issued one for my roomie's Matrix. He and I have both noticed that his A/C as well as mine did not blow very cool.
  • montanafanmontanafan Posts: 945
    Since the bulletin (Vibe) deals with an adjustment issue, it may only effect Vibes built at the NUMMI plant, and not the Matrix built in their plant in Canada.
  • matthew525matthew525 Posts: 52
    No problems with the A/c here in southeastern VA. Knocks the humidity out and the heat. Can't say it was as fast as some - but it gets the job done where I have to turn it back to the notch above off.
  • xrsborlaxrsborla Posts: 2
    I am considering a Matrix XRS with a Borla Exhaust system. Anyone have one? if so can you tell me what to expect performance wise as well as any issues you have encountered, Also does any one have a Cold Air Intake syatem installed? I am test Driving on Saturday.
  • oac3oac3 Posts: 373
    check out the matrix owners forum. There are many posts dealing with your question.

In general, some owners report a 2-3hp boost from the exhaust. TRD also has one which is reputed to be good (check out their website for availability and cost). The Injen CAI with TRD/Borla exhaust is a better combination than one or the other. But you may want to consider a Turbo or S/C, if speed is an issue for you. The latter is not out tho', but I've read of someone with the Turbo on their XR, and getting as much as 230whp+.

Hope this helps.