Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Matrix

Comments

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    a car with only 132 ft-lb of torque on tap can really use a super-short first gear! One drive over the hills of San Francisco will convince you. :-)

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• Does anyone know?
    can now be had with the moonroof AND the 17" rims. Previously, you had to pick one or the other. Also, the gauges on all trims have changed from deep red lighting to red and blue numbering with white accents and a white odo/outside temp display.

Finally, the prices for middle of the line XR models with popular equipment have actually dropped a little bit due to new equipment packages that reduce the price: I recently configured an '04 exactly the same as my '03 XR and it wound up about $300 cheaper!

I don't know of any other changes: it shouldn't be changing that much, since it is only in its second year.

• I could be wrong on this, but I think the only diff is the new gauge cluster....and possibly a couple new colours.
  • Sorry I didn't answer earlier - up in DC last week. If I ever get the chance to push 6k RPMs in fifth or sixth gear it had better be on the open plains of Montana; we're going to need wings for the time we spend airborne if we hit a bump. Don't like pushing more that 4K in first; up to 6K in second and third. In fourth gear, 4K is usually just beyond the speed limits so I move to fifth and sixth. Normally, I push 6K when accelerating onto the Interstate where I can quickly get to 65-75 mph . I have not had the safe opportunity to run faster than 3500 rpm (~90 mph) in sixth gear because of traffic, road conditions and local environments. Just waiting to go out west to the "Resume safe speed" limit roads and see what she really can do. As noted above, it is geared to move quickly - but she's isn't a sport car.

Rear visual are good; I make a conscious effort to look over both shoulders when moving between lanes, check both mirrors, and ramp the prm which are all a result of European driving lessons.
  • Hi there,

I recently purchased an '04 Matrix XRS a month ago thinking that I had following underneath my hood:

1.8-liter DOHC
    16-valve VVTL-i
    4-cylinder
    180 hp @ 7,600 rpm
    130 lb.-ft. @ 6,800 rpm

Unfortunately, Toyota recently downgraded their specs to the following:

1.8-liter DOHC
    16-valve VVT-i
    4-cylinder
    173 hp @ 7,600 rpm
    127 lb.-ft. @ 4,400 rpm

Toyota's '04 Matrix Brochure states that it has 180 hp, which was the reason I purchsed the vehicle.

If you guys also feel you have been cheated, please let Toyota know at 1-800-331-4331 Ext. 3(M-F from 6 am - 6 pm)

Hopefully, Toyota will do something about it.

When Hyundai misstated their hp figures, they extended the bumper to bumper warranty by an additional two years.

When Mazda recently misstated the hp figures on the RX-8 to 250 hp when it really had 238 hp, Mazda offered it's owners a choice of FREE scheduled maintenance during warranty period, in addition to $2000 in gas money. If you didn't like that idea, Mazda offered to buy the car back.
  • capitanocapitano Posts: 509
    It did seem odd that Pontiac had adjusted numbers downward and Toyota didn't.

Numbes aside, is there any measureable difference in how a 2003 and 2004 XRS actually drive?

I am somewhat disappointed in the drop in numbers, but I am still more than satisfied with the car.
  • Personally, since I own the '04 Matrix XRS, I haven't driven the '03 Matrix XRS so I wouldn't know personally.
    that it would be impossible to notice this difference outside a race track. However, it is true that the precedent is there from other car companies for compensating buyers who are misinformed in this manner.

So the torque peak now occurs much lower down in the engine speed: should make for better round-town driving. I wonder what was changed? I will bet it is something to do with stricter emissions requirements - the engine in the '03 was from the '00 Celica GTS and had been unchanged since its introduction way back then. Even in 2000 it was a high-emissions engine.

• 2004 has an air pump system, I have read. Hence the new operation numbers.
    The difference, I believe, between the Ford/Mazda/Hyundai cases and this Toyota case, is that in the other cases the manufacturers actually thought the higher numbers were correct and then where proven wrong. Toyota has just corrected an error in specs. I am sure there are disclaimers in their catalogs and on their websites that cover them.
    be an emissions thing!! :-)

• I am picking up my new toy today. After having had a Honda Civic for 16 years and 114,000 miles I went with a new Mercury Tracer. Bad mistake. After94,000 miles & 5 years of mini problems that just didn't quite get done right, I am looking forward to having a long-lasting relationship with my shiny new Matrix. Will post more after I have driven it awhile.
    that yellow on the Matrix! Congrats! :-)

• I just got a '04 matrix xr 4wheel drive fully loaded(sunroof, 6-disc changer, automatic, power windows-locks-mirrors, mats w/cargomat, bumper protector, underbody spoilers, fog lights and cruise control). msrp $20,220. got it for $18,500. is this a good price?
  • We got our '03 Matrix 4WD for a bit less than that but without some of your features. I'd say you got a reasonable deal on a popular car. In our case we went through the local dealer rather than the AAA buying plan, where we may have saved a few bucks, because the dealer was willing to price the vehicle at a percentage above the factory invoice.
  • amiroamiro Posts: 1
    Hi everybody, I'm looking for a car with decent cargo space with the seats up (we're getting a dog), and I came across the Matrix. I'm confused though, because I've seen 2 numbers referred to. The mfr specs say 21.8 cu. feet, but many places say it's about 15 feet, big difference. Yahoo Autos says it's the difference between EPA (what's that?) and mfr specs.

Thanks for any clarification.

The Protege5 has about 20, if I'm correct, and the Golf hatchback about 18, so they're a bit on the small side I think.
    in the Matrix is not seats up, but seats DOWN: 53 cubic feet of space. It can carry a lot of stuff when those seats are down. I think that is almost as much as the Explorer and other midsize SUVs.

As for the discrepancy, I think Toyota's figure with seats up (21.8) includes the underfloor storage bin in the far back. It can hold quite a bit. But the EPA number only includes what is above the floorboards, so to speak. And the Matrix has a sloped hatch which limits space behind the back seat more than in those others you named, like Golf, which is more squareish. So it depends on how much you like to stack stuff up to the roof.

• This is the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, which is involved with comparative rating of vehicles sold in this country -- cargo volume, passanger volume, miles per gallon, etc.

I haven't looked at the Golf for quite a while, but I think it might be a bit smaller than the Matrix. The under-floor storage that nippononly mentions is good only for certain things. It's big enough for a tire pump, the hold-down brackets and tonneau cover that come with the car, and other smaller items. Not big enough for a duffle bag or anything like that.

If the dog you are getting is any size at all, you might want to look at the RAV-4. Toyota lists the cargo area behind the rear seat as 29.2 cubic feet. It's not as fuel efficient as the Matrix, but it's not bad either.
  • I recently purchased a 2004 XRS with no sunroof and the cassette/CD stereo for 17,300 so I think that price of 18,500 for AWD, sunroof and CD Changer sounds like a fair price.
  • steine13steine13 Posts: 2,411
    (and I'll post this in the Vibe group as well)...
    .. I just got a new Vibe, and I really really really like it, more so than I thought I would.

I was hauling 3 seats from my wife's smashed minivan in the back, with plenty room to spare. Impressive.

But my question: I heard some nasty cracking sounds while I was crawling around the back getting stuff in place... is the load floor meant to hold a person? I'm 180, maybe 190 pounds, and when most of that rests on one knee, I'm not sure that's a good idea... does anyone have any insight here?

TIA -Mathias