Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Matrix

Comments

• mjtdmjtd Posts: 1
    Matrixes and Vibes sold in the US get the miles and *F gauge cluster. those sold in Canada get kilometers and *C clusters. If you want the thermometer to read in *C, you'd have to replace the whole cluster, and then your speedometer, odometer and trip meters would read in kilometers instead of miles.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    easy to say Matrix missed the youth mark by being too expensive, and that happened because it is a large vehicle, but then what about Scion xB? That is a big car too. What happened is that Matrix got typical Toyota pricing, while the Scions are starting a whole new lower-priced line. Which is a big part of the reason for xB's popularity, I am sure.

The sticker on my Matrix, which wasn't even an XRS, was $19,5 in 2002 when I bought it, and that is getting up there for "youth budgets".

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• herzogtum71herzogtum71 Posts: 469
    I rode in the back seat of one, and it feels as big as the Matrix. But I believe the overall length is 155 inches. I don't know about the xB pricing, but it looks like you can get a nicely equipped xA for $12,000. Even with the discounts now available on the Matrix at various dealerships, a base Matrix would be at least a couple thousand more than that.
  • capitanocapitano Posts: 509
    I guess if money is tight, then the xB is an option, but for me it just doesn't work. It looks smaller in person than the pictures suggest. It's like a 2/3 scale van. Just odd. But I saw two of them today. Someone is buying them.
  • thelthel Posts: 767
    might make a Wrangler 4cyl look fast. At least the top goes down in the Wrangler! :)
    Yeah, but the xB is supposed to a mobile ganja wagon where all the kids can get stoned. Hard to do that in a wrangler.

I keep wondering if the xB is going to be something we see on VH-1 when they are running "I love the 2000's" in a couple of decades. People bought gremlins and pacers too.
    but then, the Scions are designed for short lifespans, to ride the wave then be replaced.

Question to you Matrix fans in here: if Matrix had been a Scion, would you still have put it on your shopping list, and would you have been as likely to buy it? I only pose the question because I suspect it will become a Scion the next time the Corolla is updated...

I don't think the branding is an issue for me. If, by becoming a Scion, it has to get some cost cutting, power reduction and silly things like a gauge cluster in the center, then it would likely have dropped from consideration. If, however, the car was identical to what I have purchased but wore only a Scion badge I would still get it. The car is more important than the badging.
    ... my wife is the one driving the Matrix, and she things the Scion xB is UGLY.

Nippononly, I don't know if I agree with about the demise of the Corolla. Wasn't it "common knowledge" a few years ago that the Echo was going to replace the Corolla? Now they have redesigned and resized the Corolla, and sales of both the Echo and Corolla seem to be strong enough.
  • I am looking at a Matrix (the base Matrix) all I can afford at this time. I currently drive a 2000 Vitara JLS. I like the car but it is not holding up on the rural desert roads (read dirt/washboard)that exist where I live now. Will the Toyota Matrix hold up MUCH better? TIA.
    I don't know. What you describe can be rough on any vehicle. Have you considered one of the cute-utes? The matrix may not have enough ground clearance.
  • I realize that that any car I buy will get rough treatment due to the roads so I am looking for the one that will hold up best in my price range. (not much).

Also while I know a lot of different horse breeds, I know little about car makes and models. What's a Ute??? TIA.
    Ute is short for Utility. Cute Utes are Toyota RAV4, Honda CRV, Ford Escape, Mazda Tribute etc. Jeep Liberty is one too. These may all exceed your price range. Cute doesn't mean cheap. Still, something with at least modest off road capability should do better than a pure street machine.

We're you thinking about an AWD matrix?
  • deg856deg856 Posts: 120
    XR auto FWD. 1095 mi total. 338.9 mi on last tank (needle on 1/4 mark). 9.693 gallons fill up. -> 34.96 mpg. This mpg seems a little high and I suspect the gas nozzle I used this time did not fill up the tank as full.

This was mostly from a 36 mi round trip daily commute between San Jose and Fremont, CA, with about 1/3 local and 2/3 freeway (mostly cruising). Still under the break in period so I drove fairly gently. Kept it around 2000-2400 rpm during acceleration if I could help it and never over 2500 rpm. Max speed on freeway kept under 65 mph. Drove a little harder and faster than the last tank but mpg still went up form about 32 to about 35; I think it's mainly from the traffic being lighter on the freeway - less stop-and-go.
    If I had to drive on rural dirt roads much and wanted a vehicle that lasts, I'd get a truck or a truck-based SUV.
    It's not for me (I'm close to 40 - too old for that), but I appreciate cars that break the mold. It being odd looking is exactly the point - having the courage to be different is a part of being cool. You can't help but being amazed at its interior room when you eyes see such a small exterior, it also defies logic.
    newcarbuyer already drives a truck-based cute ute - the Vitara. If that has not held up to the roads he travels, then I wouldn't recommend any of the car-based cute utes, or Matrix. More likely a small pick-up is the ticket...think Tacoma or Ranger.

herzog - you have puzzled me with this one. I don't think I said that corolla's demise was imminent, did I? It certainly isn't - it sells better than ever in its history, and I was merely referring to the fact that in the normal cycle of things it will most likely be updated around model year 2008. At that time Matrix may break off as a separate model under the Scion tag. As for Echo, I am sure it was never intended to replace the Corolla, and given its extraordinarily slow sales, I doubt it will make another generation in the U.S. (it sells well elsewhere in the world though).

So you didn't mean that next time Corolla is updated, the Corolla will become a Scion? But you think the Matrix will become a Scion model next time the Matrix is redesigned?

Dunno about that, but the Scion xA is pretty Matrix-like in apearance. So maybe they could merge the two models. BTW, Scion is supposed to be coming out with a couple more models, but I don't know anything about them. Do the current Scions share a platform with the Corolla/Matrix?
  • I'm planning to buy a Matrix XRS in the next couple of weeks and want to make sure the pertinent TSB's have been addressed on the car I'm buying. Is there a comprehensive list somewhere or can someone point me in the right direction?
  • riccd2001riccd2001 Posts: 12
    I've done enough research here and elsewhere to make our lease-renewal decision. Of course, I had to select from the best balance for our needs considering manufacturer's lease rate, pros & cons of each vehicle, dealer performance ( or lack thereof), and best bang for our buck.

The final three were Saturn Vue with Honda V6, Mazda3 Sport GS and Toyota Matrix XR.

The true final dealbreaker - Wife wanted Indigo Ink. That did it. Game over.