Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Matrix

Comments

• stillageekstillageek Posts: 101
    The Nav is only available on the Vibe. Toyota switched to Toyota only radios (previous were GM/Delco).
  • m4priusm4prius Posts: 31
    Can someone tell me why the Consumer Report Annual Auto Issue (April 04) Reliability Rating for the VIBE is higher than the Matrix??? Matrix is only average while VIBE is above average??? The transmission should be all Toyota and built in Japan...I know the engine parts are from USA...but I thought both VIBE and MATRIX would use the same engine components...whats up???

Mike
  • capitanocapitano Posts: 509
    Differences in the surveys submitted by owners. CR doesn't adjust the data based on reputation.

My guess would be that Vibe owners were more pleased with the reliability of the Vibe because of lower expectations while Matrix owners were less enthused because they expected more from a Toyota.
  • I placed an order for XR 05, exactly the same options as yours. I live in central NJ. The dealer said either 10 days if they can get it from a sister shop or 6-8 weeks if it's a factory order...
  • deg856deg856 Posts: 120
    2004 XR auto FWD with 5426 mi. 344.4 mi on last tank. 11.576 gal fill-up.
  • budhbudh Posts: 109
    In past year's versions of the Matrix a few years agp, there were complaints that the A/C did not put out enough cold air (both volume and not cold enough) than it should have.

Would these problems expect to still be present on the 2005 models?

Bud H
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    I would say check it out for yourself when you test drive it. I had one of the early ones, and I never had a problem with the A/C. Vibes had a problem because the temperature selector for the HVAC was incorrectly adjusted at the NUMMI factory, and it would not go as cold as it was supposed to. But the Matrix is manufactured in a different location.

As for volume, it doesn't blow as much as some larger American cars do, so people coming out of bigger cars probably noticed a decrease. If you go test drive on a hot day and crank up the A/C to max, it should be a fair test of how you are going to feel about it if you buy the car.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• I didn't get an alarm system on my 2004 Matrix, however I'm interested in installing one - would anyone have a recommendation for a type of system preferred?
    Thanks
  • Thinking of buying an XR, and I wanted to know whether the 17" wheel option comes with all season tires. Do the 17" wheels make a big difference inhandling and ride?
  • thelthel Posts: 767
    has the 17's and my tires are plain old Bridgestone Potenza RE92's...what my wife's 04 Civic EX sedan came with BTW. The have a M + S rating for mud and snow, so yeah, they're no-season tires..er, I meant all-season tires.

I drove on them all winter (bought the car in November) and they were adequate but hardly sure-footed in the snow. I'm somewhat concerned about this upcoming winter with 15,000+ miles worth of wear.

I didn't even bother test driving an XR...knew I wasn't going the low-power route and the one I bought was the only XRS I'd found in the KC area so I can't really ocmpare the handling differences between the 16's and the 17's. I would expect any difference to be minimal at best. But then, my main daily driver is my 90 Miata so...
  • budhbudh Posts: 109
    Back in 2001, I bought a Toyota Highlander V6 Limited. A big reason being that it had AWD (all wheel drive) and I had just moved to the lake effect snow ridden area of northern Indiana/southwest Michigan. The Highlander has VSC (vehicle stability control) and ABS (anti-lock braking system) as well as the AWD.

I am thinking of trading it in next year for a Toyota Matrix or other vehicle (that I can fit into - I'm 6'3" and head/leg room are issues). I have found that the VSC seems to be the BIG thing I like on the Highlander - that VSC system saved my bacon twice last winter when I started getting into a skid and the VSC almost magically got the car going straight down the road in only a second or two.

So I am starting to get the impression that the AWD feature is important only for getting the vehicle MOVING, and that the ABS and VSC are what keeps the vehicle on the road and stopping when you want it to stop which is WAY more important.

Since I live in a fairly flat area, I therefore have come to the conclusion that I didn't really need AWD after all. And that ABS and VSC are the must have options.

So when looking for a new vehicle in the near future, does it make sense that AWD isn't nearly as important as the ABS and VSC? (It's not that I can't monetarily afford to add the AWD, it's because gas mileage, horsepower, and even gasoline tank size suffer on many AWD models.)

Feel free to comment on the differences in the AWD types that the Highlander and Matrix have if important.

Bud H
    merely brakes and reduces power when it senses loss of traction. AWD actually helps maintain it as the car pushes forward, and especially when turning in low-traction situations. It helps a lot to have a center differential-type that splits the power 50/50 most of the time, like the RAV does. I can't recall right offhand which type the Matrix has. Some are electronically controlled and are basically FWD until loss of grip is detected, which aren't as good. I would suspect that the Matrix uses the same type as the RAV since it is cheaper than the electronic kind (also heavier and more fuel-economy-reducing).

The only snow experience I get regularly is ski trips in the winter, and in those situations I have witnessed FWDers with VSC lose all traction and come to a halt, especially on uphill slopes like driveways and such.

• petlpetl Posts: 610
    You're right, because of the additional traction that any AWD/4WD system offers, they are mostly helfull for getting the vehicle moving. People forget these systems won't help you stop quicker.

The Matrix and the RAV have seperate systems. We've owned both (still have the Matrix). Both were great for getting us around on ice and snow covered roads. The Rav has the 50/50 split with 25% to each wheel (traction at all wheels is instant). With the Matrix the front wheels drive the vehicle until slippage is sensed. At which time the rear wheels kick in via a viscous coupling (it's a new system for Toyota). From what I can understand the system used in the Highlander is similar to the Rav's.

Contrary to most others, I'm not too crazy with the ABS in similar (ice and snow) conditions. Although you can steer while applied, I found the stopping distances to be longer (this is documented fact). I think that all of the features you mentioned (and others) have their strong and weak points. Depending on your driving style and location some will be more advantageous. To me the most important safety feature in any vehicle is the driver.
  • The head of my service department explained Toyota's claim that the Matrix is full-time 4WD by saying that at all times at least 10 percent of the power is going to the rear wheels with no more than 90 percent to the front. If you do a search in this forum you can find a previous discussion on this. There doesn't seem to be anything definitive in print or on the internet about Toyota 4WD systems.
    on the freeway today, I was behind a solid row of 'Trixes - they occupied every lane and spanned the freeway. Just a random occurrence, nothing planned I presume (they all went their separate ways before too long), but it was definitely a reminder of just how popular this model has become...

Only one was an '05 - all the others had the old-style taillights rather than the silver/clear ones. One had an aftermarket roof rack installed that was like one of those old basket-type designs you might see on Land Rovers from the 70s. Very clunky-looking - it ruined the lines of the car.

:-)

• oacoac Posts: 1,594
    Still missing your Trix, I see :) just j/k of course....

In 2005, it will appear that I'll be trading out of my Matrix for a 330ci. Had an unforgettable drive in a friend's 330ci recently, and cannot get over it. It is definitely a keeper for me - the Bimmer of course. After being a huge Toyota/Lexus-ophile for years, I'll be buying my first German car, and only the 3-series makes the cut for me. I'll most probably get a fairly used one, and wait to buy the 2006/2007 newly designed LSxxx. The wife wants an LX470 in 2005, so we'll do one for her (LX) and one for me (330ci). That should make both of us quite happy.

Oh, my '03 with 33K miles needs new shoes.... Will get one on soon. Anyone chaning brakes at 33K miles ? I would have expected the brakes to go for 50K miles, but the way I drive the car, I am actually surprised it lasted that long.. :) Like my Trix, but love the Bimmer more... Nothing against Toyota whatsoever.
  • If you had a pre-2005 Volvo S40/V40 it wouldn't be unusual to need brake maintenance at 33K, but it's pretty unusual for most makes. The dealer serviced our '03 4WD Matrix in July with 17,691 miles on the odometer and wrote on the checklist:

Front Brake Pads Approximately 20% Worn
    Rear Brake Pads/Shoes Approximately 5% Worn
    I do think back very fondly on my Matrix! If only I hadn't rushed into that purchase quite so quickly, I would still have that car.

I like the new front end for '05, but I prefer the old taillights I had on mine. I very much like the change to the Toyota digital clock on the dash inside, as well as to the Toyota stereo. I don't know how it sounds compared to the old one, but it looks nicer and fits the look of the interior better.

If they keep this model around for a second gen and make the 2.4 with the factory supercharger available on the top trim level, I may yet be going back to Matrix in three or four years...

• marykmaryk Posts: 1
    Is there a place on the Toyota website to check dealer inventory? I can't seem to find it. Thanks.
  • oacoac Posts: 1,594
    Yeah, I agree with you on the tail-lights on the '05. I don't particularly care for the Alteeza look (fits better on the real Alteeza/IS). The 2.4L engine may not be too long in waiting for going into the Trix, seeing that it's already in the Scion Tc. But, I won't bet on it. In 3/4-years when you are ready to trade-out of the RSX there'll probably be plenty to choose from.

herz_: 17K miles and only 20% wear on front brakes of your Trix ? Geez!!! Obviously you don't live in a hilly town like we have here in San Diego. 33K miles is plenty long in-between changing brakes here in SD.