Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Matrix

Comments

• Wow - I missed your reply way back in October! I signed up for notification alert but didn't get this one... Just came upon it. Thanks for all the great info. If I do go with the Matrix, I wonder if I should get the 2007 at a lower price or get the 2008? I don't think I'll go with the 2009... not sure about that one. I realized that I did leave out that my Echo is automatic and that's what I'll buy again. You asked what else I'm looking at - I really don't know. Have enjoyed the Toyota - with my budget and my desire for good fuel efficiency - I'm not sure what else I would look at. Can afford to upgrade for once but now that gas costs so much, I don't want to give up good gas mileage.
  • Hi nippononly,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my problem. I'll have it looked into immediately!!
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    Oh OK, well if automatic is your thing, then I can tell you that back when I had an automatic Matrix about four years ago (long story), I managed to get about 32 mpg as a running average. That was, again, in mainly suburban driving without a stop-and-go commute, and the occasional longer trip.

And if you can still find an '07 at a dealer, get the '07! You should be able to whittle down the price a lot as the '08s have been on lots for months now, and there were no meaningful changes (I think tire pressure monitoring became standard, that was about it).

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• I have a 2004 Matrix with 46,000 miles on it. About a month ago, the manual transmission blew and had to be replaced. While reading these forums, I found that this is not an uncommon problem.

My faith in Toyota is shaken, and I'm now questioning the reliability of my car.

My question to all of you... How reliable has your Matrix been? I'm interested in year and mileage. If you've had problems, what have they been?

I'm gathering this info as part of my decision to keep or get rid of this car. Thanks for your input!
    is too young to be of much help to you - 1 year and 12K miles. But it certainly seems that the pre-2005 Matrix manuals had some kind of weak point in design. From what the other folks here are saying, your car was probably updated with the post-2005 parts when your transmission was repaired. So you may still want to think about keeping the car, if you can confirm that occurred.

• microrepairmicrorepair Eastern MassachusettsPosts: 508
    I've got 49K miles on my XR and have been really ticked off at the Continental tires. The first two front ones were bald in 16K miles and I foolishly bought two more of the same only to have them go bald in about 18K miles. I then bought two Avon tires for far less money and not only are they wearing much better but are better in rain/snow and also more stable at highway speeds as far as staying straight ahead.. Check them out at Tire Rack.

:)
  • microrepairmicrorepair Eastern MassachusettsPosts: 508
    Does anyone have a clue how to remove the rear wiper blade without destroying the blade arm and/or rear window on my 2003 XR? I cannot find any kind of a release tab or anything that will allow the blade to slide out of the arm or anything that will release the arm from the wiper shaft. I actually had my local mechanic replace the blade 2 years ago and the new blade has never been in total contact with the window due to being bent or forced in some unnatural position to get it into the blade holder. Apparently he didn't know how to replace it either.
    Or will I have to go to the Toyota dealer and pay an outrageous price for them to do their secret magic stuff ??

:confuse: :confuse: :confuse:
  • Also - has anyone purchased the Matrix after having the Echo?

We bought the wife an Echo in 2000. Bought a Trixie in 2006.

That Echo has been positively fab! If pressed to come up with ways to improve the little sweetheart, I'd be hard pressed. For what it is, it's quite peppy, reliable, simple, roomy and economical to keep serviced.

The Matrix has been pretty fair, but pales when compared to our experiance with the Echo. Clutch is much too close to the brake. Not nearly as responsive as the Echo. Too many little electronic annoyances. Seats are not so comfortable. Gives a more cramped "feel" even though it's actually a larger rig. The Echo's central instrument panel is far superior. Had to get front end alighnment at 17K.
  • jefe47jefe47 Posts: 3
    i still can't decide between the 08 and the 09. i want abs and the extra airbags w automatic.
    does anyone know what the apr and/or rebate will be in February for the 08?

thanks.
    It's almost guaranteed to be exactly the same as it is now. And if past experience with Toyota is anything to go by, it will end after that, and the last of the '08 Matrixes will be sold fairly quickly. Last production of the '08 was in December, so as many '08s as will ever be out there again at dealers are there right now...

• I want to replace the rear wiper blade on my 2006 Matrix, but can't find out what size to use. Neither Toyota's parts website nor the couple of auto parts stores I checked even mentioned the rear wiper in their cross-reference guides. They only list the 21" driver-side wiper and the 18" passenger-side one.

Does anyone know if a replacement blade is available for the rear wiper? Where can I get one? (Hopefully not through my Toyota dealer's parts dept; I need my arms & legs for work. 8D )
  • I have a new Matrix XR and haven't been able to find a service/repair manual like the ones Chilton and Haynes used to put out. I haven't been able to find anything on the Matrix on-line. I'm not interested in a factory manual, just want to be able to do simple owner's maintenance like changing trans fluid and coolant. A CD-Rom would be OK if there is nothing in print. Any help appreciated. Thanks. Denny
  • I want to buy the Racing hubcaps for my 2006 Toyota Matrix with disc brakes. Will the brakes fail if i use these caps due to no airflow during everyday driving???
  • I've had my 2008 Matrix XR for a week now and when I hit 70 mph it makes a whoom-whoom-whoom sound that lessens when I hit 80 mph. No such sound at speeds under 70.

I took the service manager at my local dealer for a ride. He heard the noise. We took another, identical car out for a ride and it made the same noise, but not as pronounced.

Has anyone else experienced this noise? Will it go away?

The car has a great interior, smooth ride on city streets and plenty of creature comforts.

Thanks in advance.
    Haven't noticed a whoom-whoom-whoom sound. Where does the sound seem to be coming from?

Wow, well as you imply, whoom whoom whoom is a little hard to put a mental sound to, but I certainly have no strange noises coming from the engine compartment. So it is either something normal that you are not familiar with, or your car AND the other one at the dealership had the same defect. I would think the former is more likely than the latter, but you certainly never know...

• It seems to be coming from the engine. The wheel is steady, there is no shimmy and it goes faster the faster the car goes. Sorry for the lack of technical terminology.
  • I have an 08 I got in December. I get that same noise from the engine (or so it sounds) consistently between 65-70 mph. It is bothersome, but doesn't seem to get in the way of performance (though my mpg is pretty abysmal at about 22 mpg). Was considering bringing it in as well...
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Posts: 469
    Does anyone have specifics about the recall due to failing power window bolts causing window glass to shatter?

News reports claim 2003 and 2004 Corollas and Matixes are affected, but some reports claim the recall deals only with vehicles made at the Nummi plant in California. Back in 2002 there was discussion in this forum about the Matrix being built in Ontario and the Pontiac Vibe in California.

So the question: Is the Matrix really involved?
    Answer according to AN is yes, a total of 540,000 Corollas and Matrixes from 2003-2004 model years, and 123,000 Vibes as well.

If I still had my '03 I would gather up my VIN and give Toyota a call to make sure. As far as I know, my '07 is not included in the recall.