Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Matrix

Comments

• doyondoyon Posts: 1
    venn: when I was shopping for my 2009 Matrix, I found that the XRS and perhaps the S models had front seats folded flat. The standard model's front seat did not. All the Matrixes regardless of model had a sticker (not the one listing features and price) touting the 60 cu. ft of storage. In short, if your front seat folds flat and you want to count that area, 60 cf otherwise 49 cf.
    greg
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    It's funny, because my Matrix has that feature too, and in 2-1/2 years I have never once had occasion to use it. I wonder if I ever will.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• val61sfval61sf Posts: 8
    When folks mention how slow (DOG slow) ...the automatic pre-2009 Matrix is, I'm curious... would someone going from an Echo notice any difference? I can't imagine that the Matrix would be slower but thought it worth asking... My Echo does get me around really good ...it takes a bit to get up to speed but once I'm there, I do tend to fly down the road. I've been considering making the change for the past 3 years or so but the Echo keeps chugging along and I've been reluctant to take on a car note plus the extra funds needed for a car that won't get as good a gas milieage as my Echo. Style wise, i really prefer the Matrix to getting the Prius even with it's better gas mileage...
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    Yes, you will notice a difference going from an Echo to an automatic 1.8L Matrix. I also own both cars. Both are engines with a lot of room on the tach to wind-up, to good effect if you do so, and the automatic in the Matrix won't allow you to wind it up before upshifting, even if you have it floored.

And with the substantial amount of extra weight the Matrix has vs the Echo, passing on the highway is particularly bad. I don't really consider myself a speed demon, but I would never have a Matrix with the automatic and the 1.8 - it was the reason I sold the one I DID have back in 2002 and 2003. For me, the 5-speed is a must.

Of course, you can now get the Matrix with the Camry 2.4, and with THAT engine it is probably a lot less important if you have a manual or an automatic.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• glitch1glitch1 Posts: 25
    Locally, there is dealer certified '09 Matrix S that was previously company leased. It has a moonroof (can't remember if there is any other significant options on it). It only has just shy of 4000 miles on it, and was never in an accident or had any repair on it.

It's going for $16K (and may be able to negotiate a bit). It also has an upgraded powertrain warranty (7 year total, 6 year remaining), and the standard 3-year bumper to bumper (with 2 years remaining). Also a 3-month comprehensive warranty from the day I buy it. I test drove it and it looks and feels good.

It was company leased for a total of 9 months and was probably one of the first '09 vehicles to come out since it was purchased/leased mid-June of '08.

I was planning to take my time on a car purchase, but this looks like a good enough deal that I feel I should spring for it! Anyone have any thoughts on whether this is a good deal? Thanks!
  • jeremydrjeremydr Posts: 1
    1500 pounds... does that apply to the 04' XR 4wd model?
  • microrepairmicrorepair Eastern MassachusettsPosts: 508
    I guess this depends on which model and tire size you have as well as how much you want to spend on tires. My '03 XR 2WD came with Continental tires which were completely worn out on the front in 16K miles. I made the mistake of buying the same tire as a replacement and got the same life again. No, I don't drive it like a race car; in fact, most of the miles are put on by my wife. The Continentals aren't cheap so I then bought a pair of Avon tires which did a little better; approx. 22K miles. I now have a pair of Hankook tires on it which appear to be wearing better than the others. And they were the cheapest so far. For this model, there are a number of choices so the price you pay is what you want to pay..

But I'm still ticked off at all the rest of the owners out there getting 30-35 mpg. We bought this car to get that kind of mileage but the best we ever got was about 28 mpg on a 150 mile highway trip.. And yes, I took it back to the dealer when a year old and they claimed it was delivering 31 mpg... BS...!! Until a year ago I had a Mercedes E class V6 that was giving me better mileage...!!! I won't buy another one of these even though it's been reliable.. Not at today's gas prices..
  • laserbluelaserblue Posts: 313
    Can't decide between the 1.8L and the 2.4L engines.
    Is there a big difference in performance?
    Is the 26 h/p difference between both engines really matters?
    There's a big difference in the price between "base Matrix" and "Matrix XR".
    I was thinking of a "Base Matrix" with the "Touring Package" looks well equipped but only with that 1.8L engine.
    Help!
  • I have a 2006 4wd with 1.8 engine. The biggest trouble is that it doesn't accelerate that well. It's not hp, but the torque that does that.

So, you'll be able to accelerate 0-60 a second faster or something. A second is a lot in an emergency situation, but otherwise, you'll just have worse mileage...
  • q_ballq_ball Posts: 2
    I changed the converter on my 2003 matrix and I am still getting a code for low threshold. How can I solve this problem?

Code is p0420
  • P0420 does not say directly that the converter is bad. It only says there's a problem in that part of the system. You need to look at the signals coming from the O2 sensors. It could be an exhaust leak or bad O2 sensor.
    Why don't all the Matrix come with the same size of tires?
    What are the advantages of getting the 17 inches tires option rather than the 16 inches?
  • We bought a Vibe rather than a Corolla because:
    Same mileage, more hauling ability.
    Awesome looks.
    My husband liked the Vibe's looks more than the Matrix. I kind of preferred the Matrix and wanted stability control but he won.
    We love our car but after owning BMWs we are kinda spoiled and wish it were a bit quieter (road noise - it IS quieter than all the rest in its class!) and that our year had offered telescoping sterring wheel, now standard.
  • I'm shopping for a new car and the Matrix has ended up near the top of my list so far. I test drove last week and liked it pretty well. However, so far as I can tell, you cannot get Bluetooth on a Base Model? Is this right? It looks like you can only get BT thru the upgraded audio option on an S or XRS? If I go for the base model, what would be the simplest 3rd party option to add BT hands free phone support? Is BT any easier to get on the Vibe?
    I was looking at what options I could take before ordering my 2010 Matrix and noticed that the "remote starter" was very expensive as an option... 820.00$ manufacture installed. It's really ridiculous.
    Can I buy a Matrix without that option and buy a remote starter and install it in a remote starter dealer? or it will cost almost the same? or have problems with it or with the car? or the remote install by someone else will damage something and then Toyota will say that their not responsible for the damage caused by the remote starter and tell me that the warranty does not cover the damage and bla..bla..bla...?
    What would you do?
    Is there a really difference between the 1.8 and 2.4 engines?
    I do mostly city driving with short distance on the freeway and take 1 road trip (vacation) each year in summer, usually from Upper State N.Y. to Florida but next year we plan to go to Washington State so got to cross the Rockies.
    Will the 1.8 L be powerful enough to cross those mountains or I should go for the 2.4 L?
    If you buy a Matrix, which engine would you go for? and why?
    The 1.8 L or the 2.4 L?
  • You may try disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it. This resets it and hopefully the problem will disappear.
    My friend just bought a 2010 Matrix and she says that she'll need winter tires pretty soon. Her original 4 seasons are 205/55/16 does she have to stay with the same size on winter tires or can she buy other sizes. If yes, what sizes can she buy?
  • q_ballq_ball Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Toyota Matrix whose odometer is stuck at 299,999. You must pay to change the odometer and Toyota refuses to change this even though the vehicle is not near the end of its lifetime.